Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

ellen2298
Apprentice

Thanks! I will check it out more. Honestly at this point with the amount of money I spent on the networking and the amount of money that the time lost on this system has caused me the $40+ won't scare me.

Message 276 of 526
d700
Apprentice

For what its worth, I got a response from Netgear support and they've opened a case, called me and we've already collected a debug log with a timestamp of an event that happened last night, then developers will investigate. I will withhold further judgement until they've had a chance to respond.

One of these companies needs to wake up and realize that with work from home and age of Zoom, people rely on their network for communication. If I can't use Internet, that's one thing. If I get cut off mid-stream of a phone call or while presenting to a team of 50...well screw that. I could care less about all the dodads they keep advertising when I log into the Orbi app.

Unless I get this resolved, I'm going to move to Ubiquity, put in a commercial system if I have to, just not worth the aggravation. Crossing my fingers.

Message 277 of 526
SergeL
Apprentice

ASUS comes with FREE parental contol, FREE Network Protection. Unlike Netgear they are not charging extra for those services.I have 15 yo daughter, and Circle Home works flawlessly with ASUS...

@ellen2298 wrote:

Thanks! I will check it out more. Honestly at this point with the amount of money I spent on the networking and the amount of money that the time lost on this system has caused me the $40+ won't scare me.

Message 278 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thanks for letting me know. I am thinking maybe to use my RBK752 and RBK53 as access points and just buy a router that has great speed and parental controls. The Asus may be the way to go. Thanks!

Message 279 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Looking forward to hearing what you learn. Thanks!

Message 280 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@ellen2298 wrote:

Thank you for such a detailed response! Honestly I don't mind tinkering and for someone who knows nothing I have become pretty good at it. From what you said, it seems like my issue is that even though my 752 is in AP mode, since the router is also Orbi (needed it at the time for the parental controls) I can't block the auto updates. I tried adding download sites in the blocked sites on my RBR50 but still autoupdated. I also had tried going back to the 3.20 version but couldn't get the telnet to work but it may  just be that i don't know what i am doing enough to be able to do it.

It is a shame to me to stop using the 752 altogethersince it was amazing before but I need to be able to block the firmware update. Maybe I should get an ASUS router/mesh system and still use the 752 for the extended coverage that I need. Do you know if parental controls only run in router mode or do they work at all in AP mode? I would think they would not but just wanted to confirm.

A lot to think about here and sadly another research project. I really don't need plug and play but i can't keep having the torture of what has gone on. I haven't even spoken about the fact that the update on my RBR50 caused the Circle parental control to stop working and now the Netgear Parental control glitches every time there is a power outage or reboot requiring factory reset of the router each time and then reinstalling orbi app and starting from scratch with setup of parental controls. It has been a very rough couple of months and not sure how much more I can take.

It is coded in the Orbi firmware (all models) to NOT allow blocking of updates.  That's why if you are using another Orbi as router, you have to go back to whatever firmware still allowed telnet in your model.  Once you enable telnet, there are instructions in the forums on what to change to block auto updates.

But if you are going to go through that hassle, you can simply force the old firmware of your 750 series to the .10 version of v3 as it was the last firmware to allow telnet.  Go in with telnet, and disallow updatehs.  The benefit of that firmware is that it's not foobarred like all v4 versions, and it was prior to the DNS foobar of v3 that caused them to come out with the v4 to begin with.

But if you like far better routing controls, far better features, AND free parental control and dns protection, pick up a used Asus (anything from the 68u is good - 86u even better - and put it in front of the Orbi.  Set the firewall to block the Orbi update domains, and you're all set.

There were a few DNS security issues that eventually led to NG updating v3 to the point that it broke (because their coders s*ck big time), but it will be moot because the Asus will be doing all that.

AND with the Asus, you can run Merlin which is even better than the stock Asus firmware.  Google Asus Merlin.  Asus is based on OpenWRT so there's a great user group in the SNB forums that work the Merlin version.  It pretty much looks and works the same as stock Asus, but the group (especially Merlin) works the tweeks and bugs out to make it even better - and they update pretty regularly.

Message 281 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thank you again! I did bring the firmware back to the oldest v3 but  but I don't understand well enough how to telnet. I tried but couldn't seem to get to the debug page.  Last time I used telnet was in the 90s!! I am very open to buying a new Asus router to go in front. I assume there is no issue using the Orbi router connecting as AP to the Asus. I wondered if they would be difficult to work with together but many people here seem to be doing it. Since the Orbis are Tri-band is better to get a triband Asus router?

I will look into the Merlin. Seems like a great idea! Thanks again!

Message 282 of 526
d700
Apprentice

What about just a wired router/switch in front of the Orbi...eliminate WiFi all together, keep my Ethernet connections stable. Thats topology I'm considering at moment. Anyone recommend a good wired router perhaps one capable of 2.5 or 5Gbps for some future proofing?

Message 283 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@ellen2298 wrote:

Thank you again! I did bring the firmware back to the oldest v3 but  but I don't understand well enough how to telnet. I tried but couldn't seem to get to the debug page.  Last time I used telnet was in the 90s!! I am very open to buying a new Asus router to go in front. I assume there is no issue using the Orbi router connecting as AP to the Asus. I wondered if they would be difficult to work with together but many people here seem to be doing it. Since the Orbis are Tri-band is better to get a triband Asus router?

I will look into the Merlin. Seems like a great idea! Thanks again!

Just make sure you turn the wifi off on the Asus.  Put the Orbi in AP mode and run cat from a LAN port of the Asus to the WAN port of the Orbi.  The Orbi essentially becomes the wifi radio for the Asus while all routing - DHCP, DNS, firewall, any fixed IP, etc. is controlled through the Asus UI under LAN settings.

Put the update domains to block in Firewall > URL filter

Message 284 of 526
ellen2298
Apprentice

Thanks so much! Sorry for the dumb question in advance but why can't I login to the orbi router to change to ap mode while the internet is on the ASUS. Too much interference so the login wouldn't work? I have become very comfortable and familiar with the web GUI for orbi so I didn't understand. Sorry again for my ignorance.

Message 285 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

You HAVE to log in to the Orbi to switch it to AP.  The manual (as well as posts) go over the procedure.  Once the Orbi is in AP, you will see a lot of options dealing with ROUTING greyed out (because the Orbi is now just operating the wifi of your network.

By wiring a lan port to the Orbi's wan port, the router just sees the Orbi as a hardwired ethernet switch except everything is connecting to it via wifi instead of by ethernet cables.

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

Interestingly, the instructions don't mention using the WAN port of the Orbi.  I believe with Orbi (as in many routers in AP mode) you can use either lan or wan ports, but the behavior is different each way.  I recall when using a LAN port, the light acts a little weird because the programming of the Orbi is such that it thinks there is no internet connection because it looks for it on the WAN.

Try both and see.  I read once that someone couldn't see what devices were connected to which satellite when using the WAN, but I have no problem with the Orbi Web UI (I rarely use the app).  When I look at the devices on the router, however, I can see all the devices, but because it's just one big switch to the router, it makes no differentiation as to what device is connected to which satellite.

Message 286 of 526
scorn242
Apprentice

Learn to control your emotions.

Grow up.

Your infantile behaviour adds nothing to reaching solutions.

Message 287 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

You're totally right. There is no need to insult bots.

I think they should shut this forum down, as it is useless. And have a real customer support service instead.

I'm doing my part. Telling everyone i know and commenting everywhere i can so that people can be saved from this evil brand.

I suggest you all do the same. Giving notice to everyone is the best thing we can do to reach a solution. Cancel NetGear once and for all.

Message 288 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Devils advocate here

How did the behavior negatively affect the solution

……

It did not

Fact
Netgear is proving they do not care as they i’m not giving any concrete response, of any worth, and the go to fix is have you done a factory reset.

Netgear at this point needs to refund all people who have purchased this product and are affected. As the time to fix the issue is loooooong gone.

Am in a kind of similar profession, and by now I would’ve been fired as well as my higher-ups would’ve been fired. It is clear something was not tested before release.

And the mega question is at one point the The firmware was flawless( from a customer perspective as we were getting great results from Orbi)

For me personally could have $14.2 billing in back account lol
What was paid for Orbi was a large sum, but for me worth it as was flawless fast and fix my whole house Internet wifi issue.

Sadly for me Orbi seems to be very close to back working and have not had issue in weeks. (Using newest firmware update. Maybe because of some of my settings that I did not touch or slightly touched. And turned off ax on 2.4 all has been fine)

So this emotion is very understandable and I believe a form like this is a place for it to be vented.

Know others will disagree and I support your right to and encourage it. That doesn’t change the current situation we are in and for how long it’s going on.

Do you know it’s bad when you’re on company A’s form and all we’re doing now is discussing which company BC and D we should buy to replace it, lol

You think that might get them going and maybe even start to speak up on here lol.

I would be 2x as angry as these post if not for the dumb luck that my system is working.

And must thank all the customers helping each other to try and fix the situation. Sadly we should not be doing this
Message 289 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

Quick question. How much is a router with no ax in the market today?
2.4 or 5, doesn't matter. Every router has both...

@jamacphoto wrote:
Devils advocate here

How did the behavior negatively affect the solution

……

It did not

Fact
Netgear is proving they do not care as they i’m not giving any concrete response, of any worth, and the go to fix is have you done a factory reset.

Netgear at this point needs to refund all people who have purchased this product and are affected. As the time to fix the issue is loooooong gone.

Am in a kind of similar profession, and by now I would’ve been fired as well as my higher-ups would’ve been fired. It is clear something was not tested before release.

And the mega question is at one point the The firmware was flawless( from a customer perspective as we were getting great results from Orbi)

For me personally could have $14.2 billing in back account lol
What was paid for Orbi was a large sum, but for me worth it as was flawless fast and fix my whole house Internet wifi issue.

Sadly for me Orbi seems to be very close to back working and have not had issue in weeks. (Using newest firmware update. Maybe because of some of my settings that I did not touch or slightly touched. And turned off ax on 2.4 all has been fine)

So this emotion is very understandable and I believe a form like this is a place for it to be vented.

Know others will disagree and I support your right to and encourage it. That doesn’t change the current situation we are in and for how long it’s going on.

Do you know it’s bad when you’re on company A’s form and all we’re doing now is discussing which company BC and D we should buy to replace it, lol

You think that might get them going and maybe even start to speak up on here lol.

I would be 2x as angry as these post if not for the dumb luck that my system is working.

And must thank all the customers helping each other to try and fix the situation. Sadly we should not be doing this

Message 290 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on my 8 series:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Been online for well over a week with no issues seen. I had to take it OFFLINE to check on something different. Might help users of the 7 series.

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. This user posted his process:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Yes we all ready know that users should not have to resort to processes like this to keep there systems working. NG knows about issues with v4 FW already. 

Message 291 of 526
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

It's been 9 days since i returned the RBK753 to Costco and fired up my 5 year old Nighthawk R7900 and TP-Link Extender. I've had no forced reboots, no incomplete system backups and no devices have disconnected. Absolute measured performance is lower, but EFFECTIVE performance is more than adequate. Most days there are 3 sometimes 4 TVs streaming 1080 and 4k simultaneously with streaming smart speakers, VOIP and Zoom calls all in the mix.

I also have the guest network under its own VPN with no access to network resources other than the web which I couldn't do with Orbi.

Others have asked what I will replace with but I am going to wait a while. Netgear has announced their 4 channel mesh so I would expect other manufacturers to do likewise and prices will eventually drop on the 3 channel products which are more than adequate for my needs.  (Costco is now selling the RBK753 for $350 in case anyone wants to start over again)

Message 292 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

Others have asked what I will replace with but I am going to wait a while. Netgear has announced their 4 channel mesh so I would expect other manufacturers to do likewise and prices will eventually drop on the 3 channel products which are more than adequate for my needs.  (Costco is now selling the RBK753 for $350 in case anyone wants to start over again)

NG can't get three channels right, I wouldn't hold my breath to see what they do with 4 channels.  It's already a problem looking for an answer...

Message 293 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

he@tak1313 wrote:

@titaniumrx8 wrote:

NG can't get three channels right, I wouldn't hold my breath to see what they do with 4 channels.  It's already a problem looking for an answer...

The way I read it, titaniumrx8, is waiting for the 4 channel units to come out so the three channel units become cheaper. Given if NG comes out with 4 channel units, others will as well and THEIR 3 channel products will also become cheaper which is what he/she wants.

I think most people agree, though, NG is done - stay away and don't touch with a 10' pole so to speak. 

Message 294 of 526
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

@N3tworkDud3 wrote
"The way I read it, titaniumrx8, is waiting for the 4 channel units to come out so the three channel units become cheaper. Given if NG comes out with 4 channel units, others will as well and THEIR 3 channel products will also become cheaper which is what he/she wants.

I think most people agree, though, NG is done - stay away and don't touch with a 10' pole so to speak. "

Correct on all counts. Essentially waiting for 2.0 on these mesh systems. And it certainly won't be any Netgear product. Even if these firmware issues didn't occur, the whole concept of only 3 months support is the final nail. Netgear's competitors stand behind their products. I'm thankful that Costco took back my Orbi after 7 months. I've written to Costco to advise them that they should stop selling a product that can't satisfy their customers.

My next mesh system preferences:
Ability to install vpn directly onto the router.
Mixed mode WPA2/WPA3
Mixed mode for AX on all bands
4 lan ports on base station
Extensive settings customization via web interface
No mandatory monthly or annual fees
Guest network firewalled from network resources
Opt out or scheduled firmware updates
Turn off SSID broadcast

Good luck to everyone.
Message 295 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@titaniumrx8 wrote:
My next mesh system preferences:
Ability to install vpn directly onto the router.
Mixed mode WPA2/WPA3
Mixed mode for AX on all bands
4 lan ports on base station
Extensive settings customization via web interface
No mandatory monthly or annual fees
Guest network firewalled from network resources
Opt out or scheduled firmware updates
Turn off SSID broadcast

Good luck to everyone.

I believe you can do all that now with Ubiquiti/Edgerouter (the REAL Ubiquiti line - not the Alien et. al) along with their APs.  Their stuff has really fine granular control of the entire network since their target market is the commercial market where security and control is of the utmost.  If you're not used to it thought, there is a learning curve to their UI since there are so many controls/options.

The best part is because of their target market, they are really responsive to hardware/firmware issues (as far as I can tell).  They also DON'T force updates, and you can roll back firmware anytime if needed/wanted.

Message 296 of 526
r-lerman
Guide

Hi. Just want to tell my story. Maybe it will be helpful for somebody…

I bought RBR753 five months ago for switching to modern WiFi 6 Mesh system and get rid from my old WiFi system with several WiFi extenders. I did it based on a lot of positive reviews…

Then, I think as 80% of users here, I went to firmware related issues:

- I had connection interruptions for 10 seconds every 15-20 minutes (especially in Microsoft Teams and Zoom)

- I had this even on laptops connected directly to the RBR750 with WIRED connection type!

It was a nightmare given the fact that we all work from home now and have many meeting.

Returning to the old router immediately fixed all my issues.

I opened a support ticket but after two (!) months of communication with support team they did nothing, just asked me to wait for future firmware updates where they think it will be fixed.

After a month of fighting, I improved my networking knowledge a lot. Thank you Netgear for the education challenge. I understand in details now what is: Interfaces, TCP/UDP packets, NAT, Outbound NAT, Firewall rules, Port forwarding, Dynamic DNS, Unbound DNS, OpenVPN and WireGuard 🙂 I can configure all of them now!

So, I ended up with complete logical separation of my network. Now I have:

- router, which does routing, DHCP service, firewall and VPN only (Protectli FW6D with  OPNsense OS and CoreBoot BIOS);

- switch (Linksys LGS116P) and I have wired all the devices I can, greatly expanding my existing home network;

- I switched the Orbi router (RBR750) to AP mode.

Both router (RBR750) and two satellites (RBS750) using the latest firmware
         Both satellites (RBS750) are connected to the router USING CABLE for Backhaul (via my switch).

It is the only working configuration for me. I do not have any interruptions now!  WiFi Mesh is working fine in WiFi 6 (ax) mode.

So, if you are in the trap and cannot return Orbi then the only working configuration is: independent router + Orbi system in AP mode with satellites connected with cable for Backhaul.

I asked about some financial compensation from NetGear, because I spent a lot of additional unplanned money to buy a separate router, switch, CAT6 cables, ethernet outlets, plus I spent hours to my work for wiring the house. It was rejected by “Customer Care Advocate” 🙂

I already talk out of buying any NetGear products several of my friends and colleagues.

I will never buy anything from NetGear myself.

End of my story. Thanks for reading.

Message 297 of 526
tak1313
Luminary

@r-lerman wrote:

I asked about some financial compensation from NetGear, because I spent a lot of additional unplanned money to buy a separate router, switch, CAT6 cables, ethernet outlets, plus I spent hours to my work for wiring the house. It was rejected by “Customer Care Advocate” 🙂

If anyone knows a good class action lawyer, perhaps this is a good candidate considering how much money was likely spent in totality by all users that either could not use the product as intended/advertised, loss of income/time/, additional expense, etc.

Unlike optional updates, this non-working update was forced on to existing users with the results seen in this forum, and the company made it impossible (for the layperson) to fix the issues because the firmware does not allow for rolling back without some finesse that the 'average' user would not have knowledge of or be capable of.

Edit: Forgot to mention.  The bad marketing/noteriety of such a suit being filed may also "light a fire under NG's b*tt" to get things fixed.

Message 298 of 526
jdk1120
Apprentice

It's quite telling when a product support forum starts being crowded with other product recommendations to skip the product altogether...

I've been lurking not because my issue went away, but because I figured there would be no sensible, actionable solution we would find in future posts.

To continue with the first point: Does anyone have luck with returning this unit to Costco after its return period?  I've heard stories people returning unsatifactory products at costco even if it's past the period just because they want to be a good merchant.

Message 299 of 526
Jlhardwick
Star

Costco should take it back, I have never had any trouble returning a product from them. Sadly I bought my RBR752 directly from Netgear and am stuck with it. I have since moved on to the TP-Link Deco AX68 for now and it works flawlessly for me. I'll sell my RBR752 but have a conscience, unlike Netgear so will pile it in a corner until someday a fix is out then sell it. Will never buy another Netgear product again.

Message 300 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7