Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.5.14 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't let us know if or when new FW is forthcoming. 

Message 476 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

@ahswp wrote:
Any update when a firmware update will fix this disaster?

We need to pray for a Christmas miracle. Can you do it together? Lets hold hands...

news flash... THEY DON'T CARE

Message 477 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

WHY IS THIS MARKED AS SOLVED??? What a joke...  UNNNNNNNSSSSSSOOOOOOLLLLLLLVVVVEEEEEEDDDDDD

Message 478 of 526

That is how it goes when NG send the foot solidiers in town, because they don't want to deal with it themselves. They are selling a non working product - overprice. And they give a **bleep** about their customers - This guy put things solved based on his own logic. He continues and have no idea how much harm he is doing - I my country - we call it a "uselfull fool". His integrity is non-existing. We tried to tell him, that he is a "Usefull fool", but he does not get it.

Message 479 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Now to defend Orbi. This system was the best ever had and loved it for several months.
Then had several months of headache but now is like 90% like before ,for me with minor but still issue so yea not solved lol.

Yea have to agree at how they are Handling this.
I am a senior programmer and either fix and go Foward or roll back to last stable.
Yea I am wasting my time but it is crazy with their auto update process just create a new firmware with the last stable and we all back to 100%.

It just makes no sense. Sadly I am at a total loss
And yes you can jump though hoops to get that last stable firmware but they could do it in 15 min.
Message 480 of 526
jdk1120
Apprentice

The issue has become less frequent for me, but not resolved.  Anyone find any luck with temporary solutions? 

Message 481 of 526
EdFerreira
Star

@jdk1120 wrote:

The issue has become less frequent for me, but not resolved.  Anyone find any luck with temporary solutions? 

the solution would be open source the firmware and let the community fix it. Forget it. They will fix it when they want to. Or maybe never because they are focusing on newer products...

Message 482 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Turned off AX for 2.4
CTS set to 2347
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Use These DNS Servers
and set all devices to have Reserved IP addresses
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

@jdk1120 wrote:

Message 483 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

@FURRYe38
Are you seriously suggesting to allocate fixed IP to every single device on the network!? That's crazy!! What does this resolve?

What's the logic for turning ofd AX for 2.4Ghz? Doesn't that mean devices capable of connecting using AX won't be able to do it anymore? Sounds like a degradation to me.

Message 484 of 526
claudiut
Apprentice

@jamacphoto 

Could you please summarize what settings are you currently running with on your RBR750 system running 4.6.5.14? (if I understand correctly your message you've achiveved 90% stable system so I'm curious what have you done).

As a side note, I've had an NG engineer (a riend of FURRYe38 character) reaching out to troubleshoot my issues. He told me 'half of the company is on Xmas vacation, so not a lot of engineers working on these firmware issues. That puts things in perspective, how much NG cares about customers (moreover the issue itself was caused by their own **bleep**ty firmware)

@jamacphoto wrote:
Now to defend Orbi. This system was the best ever had and loved it for several months.
Then had several months of headache but now is like 90% like before ,for me with minor but still issue so yea not solved lol.

Yea have to agree at how they are Handling this.
I am a senior programmer and either fix and go Foward or roll back to last stable.
Yea I am wasting my time but it is crazy with their auto update process just create a new firmware with the last stable and we all back to 100%.

It just makes no sense. Sadly I am at a total loss
And yes you can jump though hoops to get that last stable firmware but they could do it in 15 min.

Message 485 of 526

Setting IPs for each connected device is not such a crazy idea.  I did this on my own network (around 40 devices) and was a bit of a pain initially but it makes it easier to know what devices are doing what on a network.  Since the host-name isn't always visible knowing by IP makes things easier.  That said, you shouldn't have to and its not a solution.  I also don't do this on the Orbi.  I disabled the router and put a separate router in place because the Orbi is a pretty mediocre router especially for the price.  It doesn't support DHCP option 61 (though the RBK50 did so not sure why that was taken away) and it doesn't do any QoS which meant I got a lot of buffering and ping issues in games.

Turning off AX is not a solution either, although I'm not entirely sure its that useful of 2.4ghz anyway (caveat that I'm no network expert so maybe there is a good use for it).  However if there is a bug in the firmware it could well cause an issue with satellites disconnecting if they are using that.  When I look at network diagnostic tools despite having my backhaul over 5ghz, there are still backhaul for 2.4Ghz there too, I guess as a failover.  The RBK50 did not do this.  Turning if off might help, but you shouldn't need to.

The other suggestion of changing the CTS setting is essentially disabling the RTS/CTS feature by specifying a frame size that won't ever be higher.  I'm not really an expert here, but having RTS/CTS should theoretically give a more stable network with a minor cost in performance.  Again though it shouldn't be causing the issues it does, but it is definitely possible a bug lies in netgears implementation of it.

What is frustrating is these tips have been known and mentioned throughout this thread, for the best part of 6 months.  If those are the fix, I'm at a loss to understand why we are waiting so long for a genuine fix.

Message 486 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

The steps I went through I will list here and actually the short of it is I changed nothing from the default setting other than having the latest beta firmware or non-baited for them or whatever the latest official one is, and turned of Ax on 2.4

Like all of us we were going along fine with a firmware for a while.
I read on here that people were starting to have a problem with an auto update approximately three weeks later I got an auto update and everything crashed. Sometime satellites with drop off and about 30 different Wi-Fi items including computers or cell phones with drop off and or not be able to reconnect.

For this time I would reboot about 5 to 6 times and then finally everything would be back to normal for about a week and then it would repeat again.

Then I was given the opportunity to get firmware to which I believe is the most recent one we most of us have now. Then after that it was stable for about two weeks and then it went back to the exact old way as it used to go. And then it got worse where if I try to do a reboot whether command reboot or just unplug let it sit for 10 minutes and plug back in, still had lots of problems

This time it would take maybe 20 to 30 reboots or five or 10 but I had to keep doing them till everything came back on again. This time I had a lot more problems with satellites were one would work and the other one would not.

At this point I was kind of getting desperate so I was like OK first I will do a factory reset finally.

Did a factory reset and then did the newest version of beta which again I believe we all have an hour of access to. And the issues return to like it did the first time work a little bit easier we only had to do five or six reboots sometimes 10 and then everything will go back to normal. If she was stuff like my iPhone iPad or different Wi-Fi devices would never connect again until I did the theory of the reboots.

At this point I was getting frustrated and think I was going to do the unofficial royal back but I really did not want to:

Did was I took Furrys yeah shins on what certain setting should be and I set them all to that and nothing really worked. I tried adjusting stuff one at a time.

All the various other settings again I made sure to capture everything and so everything was put back.

This Sunday I just went through various settings wanted to time change them one and a time. Reboot and see what happened .

Started changing some base again on what Furry said we’re suggestions to fix. For me nothing worked till I got to AX for 2.4 and 5

Turned of AX for both rebooted and all was 90% stable and full speeds I got before.

After a week decided to turn Ax on for 5 as have a few devices that can take advantage of Wi-Fi six.

So turned Ax on for 5 and rebooted and staff the same. Then turned on AX for 2.4 and went back to really bad finally several reboots and truenes 2.4 ax off and all. Good .

Do have power at 50% for both 2.4 and 5 but. Was at. 100% and reduced and got a bit more stable but balanced devices better among Base and satellites.

Wish would have more wisdom and several adjustments to make more people stable but sadly this is what I did.

Still every morning still wake up hoping it’ll work even though it’s been stable now for quite a while now. Not like I don’t trust it but yeah I don’t trust it Lolo

And yes they said before weekly there’s about 5 to 7 devices that drop off and come back on some instantly so I’m within three minutes a few times I have to go and actually pull it from the wall or turn off the lightbulb and turn it back on again screw the lightbulb and it works. There are some devices that it seems to always a fact and then there’s other ones it seems to float around.

That’s where I get my 90% that majority the time everything‘s fine Internet connections fine watching movies is fine just sometimes some Wi-Fi plugs drop off and drop back on

Scary that so many different people have different results

Good luck to all

Message 487 of 526

Its fair enough that people are now on leave for xmas.  The last few weeks of December in my company are exceptionally quiet especially since covid has meant people are travelling less.

Doesn't excuse the sloppy response to providing a bug fix for the rest of the year though.  Netgear really need to hire new devs and maybe some new product managers with better prioritisation skills.

It is slightly tricky though.  Everyone on this thread is probably here because they've suffered an issue.  I took a glance at the reviews on amazon.co.uk for example and there are a few people, me included who think this product is an abomination, but there are many who love it.  I suspect the nature of the issue means many will have it but not notice.  If a satellite goes down and you are in the middle of netflix and chill you won't care/notice because the buffer will cover the time it takes your device to switch to another node.  So when prioritising the issues its hard to know how big this is flagged with Netgear.

Unfortunately I spend my life on zoom and VPN for work and you know the minute it happens because the VPN disconnects, causing me to loose work, my wifes VPN disconnects and both our zoom calls go.

v3 is good for me, though a few people mentioned security issues, I don't know what those are but I'm willing to risk it for a better connection and the router between offers a decent line of defence.

Still, I do not recommend this product to anyone, though I begrudgingly continue for now because the home wifi market especially for mesh is a bit limited

Message 488 of 526
jamacphoto
Apprentice

Yes exactly that is 100% a degradation of service.

Why I say we’re at 90% because everything is fine except a few little chunks 5% of devices that go off and on and 5% is a Ax 2.4

For me I really don’t think I have any devices I can use Wi-Fi 6 on 2.4 but I have five that can use a Ax on five.

Two are the new Amazon 4K stick that uses Wi-Fi six. Just got them a month ago and they’re unbelievably faster than the original/non-Wi-Fi six version.

For the majority of us yes losing 2.4 will not affect you really but if you have 2.4 Wi-Fi six devices and yes you’ll be affected.

My big thing is that’s not what I paid for I paid for aX on all and had it for several months and now it is broken.

But lucky enough to have it working 90%
Message 489 of 526

"My big thing is that’s not what I paid for I paid for aX on all and had it for several months and now it is broken."

This is my biggest issue too, I couldn't agree more.  People have paid a lot of money for a product that is fundamentally broken.  Whenever I see the workaround suggestions I just think no no no.  Orbi comes with a very limited configurability.  It is designed for people like me with no knowledge.  I just want to pop the router and satellites around the house and enjoy my internet speeds wherever I'm sat, something I could never get with a traditional 1 wifi router set up.  If I wanted complexity and the fun of complete control I'd buy something else.  No one should have to jump through these hoops and they take considerable time to do, test and then tweak again.

I'm out of my refund window, but I think Amazon would probably exchange for a different brand if I wanted.  However the only other option I could consider is the Asus XT8.  I'm really tempted to do that as I'd quite like to have separate SSIDs since a couple of items on my network struggle with band switching (wifi speakers that start cutting the music whenever it does it, seemingly more often than it needs to).  But Asus solution to stability appears to be scheduled reboots and I hate that almost as much as I hate Netgear Orbi

Message 490 of 526
N3tworkDud3
Apprentice

@claudiut wrote:

@jamacphoto 

......an NG engineer (a riend of FURRYe38 character) reaching out to troubleshoot my issues. He told me 'half of the company is on Xmas vacation, so not a lot of engineers working on these firmware issues. That puts things in perspective, how much NG cares about customers (moreover the issue itself was caused by their own **bleep**ty firmware)

So Furry has a friend who works at Netgear? That explains a lot. 

Nice for Netgear to give their employees Xmas vacation for months. Most companies focus on the actual holiday.

Message 491 of 526
stlgasman
Tutor

I have a RBK 752 which consists of a rbr750 router with a corresponding satellite. The system worked like a rockstar until some firmware update made it practically useless. It requires multiple reboots to connect to the Internet daily. Updating to the latest firmware 4.6.5.14 and resetting the router helped a little but still have constant issues.
Message 492 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you been in contact with NG support regarding a beta someone reporting getting from them? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Beta-Firmware-4-6-6-11/td-p/2...

@stlgasman wrote:
I have a RBK 752 which consists of a rbr750 router with a corresponding satellite. The system worked like a rockstar until some firmware update made it practically useless. It requires multiple reboots to connect to the Internet daily. Updating to the latest firmware 4.6.5.14 and resetting the router helped a little but still have constant issues.

Message 493 of 526
Foden
Apprentice

Great, if you have an 8 series you can get the beta firmware as a nice user uploaded it, sadly no good for us poor peons with merely 7 serie's

I tried it just for shiggles Smiley Frustrated

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK-8-Series-Only-Unofficial-v4-6-6-...

Message 494 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll neee to follow what this user did to get FW for the 7 series:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Beta-Firmware-4-6-6-11/m-p/21...

Message 495 of 526
Foden
Apprentice

I'd love too, as would all the people here, but without active support they don't give a flying F### and there's no way to get them to connect with you, at least in my experience. I've also reached out to admin, crickets there too.

From what others here are saying they aren’t having any luck either

The only way I, or anyone else in my situation, can get the beta is for someone to upload it or Netgear make it publicly available

Message 496 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

Well this is the first day back from the holidays for most mfrs so maybe this week. I presume there is boat loads of emails and such for those returning to work today. 

Keep trying. 

Message 497 of 526
elayton28
Apprentice

Still waiting....but hey, it's the holidays, we'll just wait a little longer.

SMH

Message 498 of 526
larryindublin
Luminary

I can't open a support ticket since my meager 90 days expired long ago. I tried directly messaging 2 people I thought we NetGear admins but haven't heard anything back. I aloso tried to open an RMA ticket thinking they might read it and actually respond, but no. They used to have (it's still there, just dead quiet) a Beta group they would post firmware to. As an RB50 who upgraded to RBK753 I'm losing all faith in Netgear to 1) resolve the issue, and 2) care about their customers. It's all about the newest product with extra cost subscriptions. 

Would someone with an RB750 set router/satellite just post the firmware please?

Message 499 of 526
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact the OP and see if he can share it out to you:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-Beta-Firmware-4-6-6-11/td-p/2...

@larryindublin wrote:

I can't open a support ticket since my meager 90 days expired long ago. I tried directly messaging 2 people I thought we NetGear admins but haven't heard anything back. I aloso tried to open an RMA ticket thinking they might read it and actually respond, but no. They used to have (it's still there, just dead quiet) a Beta group they would post firmware to. As an RB50 who upgraded to RBK753 I'm losing all faith in Netgear to 1) resolve the issue, and 2) care about their customers. It's all about the newest product with extra cost subscriptions. 

Would someone with an RB750 set router/satellite just post the firmware please?

Message 500 of 526
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7