Reply

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Dalmy
Guide

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I'm a bit of an early adopter and have an RBR750 w/2 RBS750 satellites in each of 2 houses.

Tonight I used the auto-update feature through the web interface for one (on a MacBook Pro) and the iPhone App for the other.

Both updates worked without error, and both systems have been working well since. And all labels are accurate, a bonus!

I might suggest patience during auto or manual (done previously) installs. It's not snappy and takes a bit.

Thanks also to @FURRYe38 for much patience and perseverance.

 

 

 

Message 26 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Glad yours is working. Ya, auto updater seems to be a mixed bag sometimes, works for some, doesnt' for others. Patience is needed. I remember working on my friends Orbi 50 series years ago. Man, it took hours to get it updated and finally online. Orbi AX is a bit faster however, patience is still needed. 

 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡


@Dalmy wrote:

I'm a bit of an early adopter and have an RBR750 w/2 RBS750 satellites in each of 2 houses.

Tonight I used the auto-update feature through the web interface for one (on a MacBook Pro) and the iPhone App for the other.

Both updates worked without error, and both systems have been working well since. And all labels are accurate, a bonus!

I might suggest patience during auto or manual (done previously) installs. It's not snappy and takes a bit.

Thanks also to @FURRYe38 for much patience and perseverance.

 

 

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 27 of 184
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Wow, years ago with the older model? That's not good. Netgear needs to fix its internal auto updater.

Message 28 of 184
Daddy1919
Guide

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Well after tinkering all day I proved that my setup works with the RBR on the latest firmware and the RBS left one behind. If the RBS is upgraded to latest firmware it is unstable.

Now my devices aren't bricked. But this is still pretty lame. And I'm left with the original problem where backhaul hops from 5 to 2.4G and makes the connection unstable, and laptop hops to much further away RBR rather than stay with nearby RBS.

The algorithms clearly do not weight stability high enough IMO
Message 29 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I am running v4.6.5.14 and see v4.6.7.13 available now.  I too hope it has fixed the guest network issues, my son still complains it’s not stable when he comes over and connects to it on his iPhone 12.    I would like to upgrade today, but am hesitant, but would like to think it’ll solve the guest network issues?  My son and a friend of his are coming over tomorrow evening to do their Fantasy Baseball Draft and it would be nice to have a stable guest network running for ONCE?…….

Message 30 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

@FURRYe38 what does this mean for the guest network?

  • SPC support for clients connected to guest network. 
Message 31 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Why I recommend manually updating FW if the auto updater failed to update all units or problems are seen. 


@Daddy1919 wrote:
Well after tinkering all day I proved that my setup works with the RBR on the latest firmware and the RBS left one behind. If the RBS is upgraded to latest firmware it is unstable.

Now my devices aren't bricked. But this is still pretty lame. And I'm left with the original problem where backhaul hops from 5 to 2.4G and makes the connection unstable, and laptop hops to much further away RBR rather than stay with nearby RBS.

The algorithms clearly do not weight stability high enough IMO

 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 32 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Review the first post in this thread. I recommend manually updating FW. Update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 


@bdsmith63 wrote:

I am running v4.6.5.14 and see v4.6.7.13 available now.  I too hope it has fixed the guest network issues, my son still complains it’s not stable when he comes over and connects to it on his iPhone 12.    I would like to upgrade today, but am hesitant, but would like to think it’ll solve the guest network issues?  My son and a friend of his are coming over tomorrow evening to do their Fantasy Baseball Draft and it would be nice to have a stable guest network running for ONCE?…….


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 33 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

All is good, firmware updated smoothly.  I’ve been testing the guest network for several hours and can’t seem to replicate and hiccups browsing websites on my tablet.  I guess we’ll see what experience my son and his friend run across tomorrow with their devices.

 

Thanks for your help! @FURRYe38 

Message 34 of 184
ant
Prodigy
Prodigy

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Guest network issue seems to be gone after a 1.5 days for me. No new issues from this firmware version. I think it's a good update! 🙂

Message 35 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

@ant great to hear, I am thrilled, I hope it’s all resolved!  We’ll see how it goes tomorrow….thanks!

Message 36 of 184
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I updated manually and so far no issue.

ISP BT (UK) | Fibre ONT | Orbi RBK753
Message 37 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Glad you got it updated and it's working well everyone. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 38 of 184
ZTZ1010
Initiate

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I'd highly recommend the "chucking them in the trash" road. I picked up a set of Eero Pro 6 and have not looked back. 

 

I finally chucked my 752s after being perpetually frustrated by constant disconnects and related connectivity issues making them effectively unusable (like many people in the various prior threads have described). I don't have time to deal with unplugging or factory resetting them every day, or answering the same garbage canned questions about home size, channels, etc. We have tried all of that and I am not disabling the key features I bought the system for. It is clearly and indisputably a software issue since they used to function flawlessly, but if netgear would rather stick their heads in the sand rather than address it, that's fine. I 'll bring my business (and my corporate/enterprise business) elsewhere -- the eero pro 6 works flawlessly 🙂 

Message 39 of 184
atejwani
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

@ZTZ1010 - You are spot on!

 

Prior to Dec 2020, when I went "all-in" with Netgear Orbi:

  1. CBK752
    1. CBR 750 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem/ WiFi 6 Wireless Router
    2. RBS 750

I had, since about 2010

  1. Arris SURFboard SVG2482AC - DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, Wi-Fi 5 Wireless Router
  2. TP-Link WiFi Extender

Netgear Orbi CBK752 worked flawlessly till about August 2021, when Netgear pushed Version 4.6.3.x for the Netgear Orbi 750 series.

 

And since then -  firmware updates, "tweaks"/"hacks" including disabling WiFi AX and IPV6, the performance/stability is worse than my 2010 setup.

 

I wish I had not given away my 2010 setup. I might have to go back to the drawing board.

 

cc: @FURRYe38 , @plemans

 

 

 

Message 40 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

@atejwani 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi With Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi with cable modem (CBR series) products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 41 of 184
likearaptor
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

So I was noticing on 4.6.7.5 after 3 weeks I was getting only 10-20 Mbps even though when I tested the internet from the router my cable internet speed was 300+ Mbps.  So I upgraded to the latest 4.6.7.13 over the weekend hoping it would help, but I saw zero improvement, same slow speeds.  So I did what is recommended with resetting them, powering them off for 5+ minutes, and then re-set them back up to the appropriate settings.  This time I left the transmit power and RTS settings as default, and only changed the Wireless name/password, and set it to AP mode.  And now I am seeing around 300+ Mbps on speed tests on wireless like I was when I first started using 4.6.7.5.  One thing to note when I was experiencing very slow wireless speeds, I could still connect to the satellite via an ethernet cord and get 250-300 Mbps of connectivity.  The satellite node is not connected to my main internet via ethernet, just using the wireless back haul.

 

Home is around 4,700 square feet, distance between router and satellite is about 45 feet going through wood/carpet floor, and one wood interior wall with sheet rock and paint. The router is on the west end of the house while the satellite is on the east side. Nvidia shield is about 24 feet on the same level with nothing blocking the device and router and is more west than the RBR750 device, so the signal to the router is better than the satellite model.

 

I'm really hoping I am not going to have to hard reset the devices every 2-3 weeks.  Hopefully this isn't needed again.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second item of discussion:

 

One thing that is interesting is, if my work computer is connected to the back of the Satellite (rbs) via ethernet, I can copy large files to another computer connected to the router (rbr) with speeds averaging 200-220 Mbps.  If I disconnect the ethernet and connect via WiFi 6 (I'm just 8 feet from the Satellite) I can only get 80-100 Mbps on the same copy which runs for a good 3-5 minutes. But what's strange is I can get 250 Mbps on a speedtest out on the internet on the first PC when on WiFi or on ethernet, it doesn't seem to .

 

Thinking logically, if I can copy at 200+ Mbps via ethernet to the satellite and wirelessly to the second PC, the max receiving speed the second PC can take is around 200 Mbps.  But when the first PC is on the wireless I get half the copy speed for some unknown reason.  Maybe there is an issue when trying to talk to one device to another when going through the satellite and then re-broadcasting out the router via wireless?

 

Do other people see similar results?

Message 42 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released


@likearaptor wrote:

So I was noticing on 4.6.7.5 after 3 weeks I was getting only 10-20 Mbps even though when I tested the internet from the router my cable internet speed was 300+ Mbps.  So I upgraded to the latest 4.6.7.13 over the weekend hoping it would help, but I saw zero improvement, same slow speeds.  So I did what is recommended with resetting them, powering them off for 5+ minutes, and then re-set them back up to the appropriate settings.  This time I left the transmit power and RTS settings as default, and only changed the Wireless name/password, and set it to AP mode.  And now I am seeing around 300+ Mbps on speed tests on wireless like I was when I first started using 4.6.7.5.  One thing to note when I was experiencing very slow wireless speeds, I could still connect to the satellite via an ethernet cord and get 250-300 Mbps of connectivity.  The satellite node is not connected to my main internet via ethernet, just using the wireless back haul.

 

Home is around 4,700 square feet, distance between router and satellite is about 45 feet going through wood/carpet floor, and one wood interior wall with sheet rock and paint. The router is on the west end of the house while the satellite is on the east side. Nvidia shield is about 24 feet on the same level with nothing blocking the device and router and is more west than the RBR750 device, so the signal to the router is better than the satellite model.

 

I'm really hoping I am not going to have to hard reset the devices every 2-3 weeks.  Hopefully this isn't needed again.

Hoping v.13 will be working better for you. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second item of discussion:

 

One thing that is interesting is, if my work computer is connected to the back of the Satellite (rbs) via ethernet, I can copy large files to another computer connected to the router (rbr) with speeds averaging 200-220 Mbps.  If I disconnect the ethernet and connect via WiFi 6 (I'm just 8 feet from the Satellite) I can only get 80-100 Mbps on the same copy which runs for a good 3-5 minutes. But what's strange is I can get 250 Mbps on a speedtest out on the internet on the first PC when on WiFi or on ethernet, it doesn't seem to .

 

Thinking logically, if I can copy at 200+ Mbps via ethernet to the satellite and wirelessly to the second PC, the max receiving speed the second PC can take is around 200 Mbps.  But when the first PC is on the wireless I get half the copy speed for some unknown reason.  Maybe there is an issue when trying to talk to one device to another when going through the satellite and then re-broadcasting out the router via wireless?

 

Do other people see similar results?

Wireless between devices may or may not have same performances as does with Ethernet connections. Also two units processing wifi backhaul can reduce some performances seen between the RBR and RBS. Kind of a nature of the beast thing. Lots of wifi variables and factors that go into wifi performances. 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 43 of 184
0002mantt
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I update the RBK7503 with two satellites.  Only the router was updated.  The satellites were not.

0002mantt_0-1648511426088.png

 

I tried updating manually by downloading the zip file.  It says 

0002mantt_1-1648511483628.png

Any advise?

 

 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 44 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Need to be sure you unpack the .zip file. Then select the unpacked FW file on the RBSs web page. Send the FW file directly using the RBS web page. Use MS Edge or Firefox for this.


@0002mantt wrote:

I update the RBK7503 with two satellites.  Only the router was updated.  The satellites were not.

0002mantt_0-1648511426088.png

 

I tried updating manually by downloading the zip file.  It says 

0002mantt_1-1648511483628.png

Any advise?

 

 


 

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 45 of 184
0002mantt
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

I did. I unzip the file and upload "RBS750-V4.6.7.13-signed.chk".  The earlier post was the error message I received.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 46 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Try MS Edge or Firefox?

My Setup ISP SparkLight | Internet Cable 1000↓/50↑ CM2000 Modem | Wifi Router RBK752(v.5) | Switches NG GS105/8 and XS505M | 

Additional NG HW: C7800/CAX80/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi: CBK40, CBK752, RBK50, RBK853, RBK752, RBK953, SXK30 | NightHawk: R7000, R7800, R7960P, R8000, R8500, RAXE500, RAX50, XR450, EX7500/EX7700, GS308v3

Message 47 of 184
0002mantt
Tutor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Tried both Firefox and Edge with the same error.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 48 of 184
Mikey94025
Mentor

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released


@0002mantt wrote:

Tried both Firefox and Edge with the same error.


I suspect you are not using the web manual firmware update tool for satellites correctly.  It is not done on the same page where you update the router firmware.  You do not go to the Manual Update page, browse for the file in the top section, check the boxes for your satellites in the bottom section, and press the UPLOAD button in the top section.  Note that there is a horizontal line separating the top section, which is for the router, from the bottom section which helps you update satellites.

 

Instead, in the section BELOW the line check the box for a satellite and press the UPDATE button.  A new, small window will appear where you can browse for the satellite firmware and then update that one satellite. This is what you should be using for the satellite.  Is this what you are using and that is failing with the error you posted?

 

orbi-manual-update-satellite.png

Message 49 of 184
SeaRefractor
Apprentice

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

Upgraded my RBK753 to the new firmware (router and two satellite devices) in my very large home.    Upgrade needed to be performed manually but devices updated as expected.

 

Will monitor over the next week or two and see how it goes.     So far so good!  (of course  parachute enthusiasts say this while falling through the sky before pulling the ripcord).

Adtran ONT ---> Orbi RBR750 -> 940Mbps up/down
Message 50 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E