Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version 4.6.7.13 Released

jordand
Star

For anyone who was on v3 (like I was) and enjoying stability, if you're thinking that this version resolves any of the instability problems between satellites, it doesn't, at least not for me.

This is the same buggy v4 firmware, except the WiFi drops more often, they've only stopped the lights from coming on so you don't notice the issue as much. I upgraded and downgraded back to the old version within 2 days. Unstable trash firmware.

I reverted back to V3.2.16.22_1.4.9, and my network is stable again. If you need help downgrading, let me know. Happy to help anyone!

Message 76 of 184
bdsmith63
Apprentice

I have heard of a lot of buggy installations of 4.6.7.13, surprisingly, I have had no issues, it definitely solved my guest network issues and that is a great help — so my kids and grandkids are not complaining that their devices aren’t working.

Perhaps some of these buggy installations are equipment related?  It does sound like Netgear really needs to get on the playing field and stop released crappy firmware updates before thoroughly testing them for reliability across all platforms and scenarios.

Message 77 of 184
jordand
Star

Yeah, what's weird is, as soon as I revert back to v3, my whole setup is perfect. Everything is stable even at factory defaults. v4.* requires so much tinkering and it's still horrible.

It can't be hardware if a particular version works perfectly, right?

Message 78 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Can be HW, configuration or environment. v.5 and v.13 is more stable and works better at least on my 7 and 8 series then prior versions of v4 or first release of v4.x FW. 

I thought you have up on NG and sold your Orbi? 

@jordand wrote:

Yeah, what's weird is, as soon as I revert back to v3, my whole setup is perfect. Everything is stable even at factory defaults. v4.* requires so much tinkering and it's still horrible.

It can't be hardware if a particular version works perfectly, right?

Message 79 of 184
jordand
Star

I managed to get a hold of NG via phone, who sent me a guide to downgrading, and I had no problems since. I had a buyer, but didn’t end up selling it once it started to work normally again 🙂 I figured if I spent this many hundreds of euros I may as well try to get my moneys worth.

I saw the updates here and the comments that the firmware was good, so I gave it a try, and it’s still really bad unfortunately.
Message 80 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Well something to contact NG support about and let them know. Not everyone is having problems with this FW so possible there is a mis-configuration issue, something environment related or possible HW related. 

@jordand wrote:
I managed to get a hold of NG via phone, who sent me a guide to downgrading, and I had no problems since. I had a buyer, but didn’t end up selling it once it started to work normally again 🙂 I figured if I spent this many hundreds of euros I may as well try to get my moneys worth.

I saw the updates here and the comments that the firmware was good, so I gave it a try, and it’s still really bad unfortunately.

Message 81 of 184
jordand
Star

While I know you’re a really helpful member of the community and we need more people like yourself, with all due respect, I had zero issues for months, changed the firmware, and viola, issues!

I’m not gonna pin that on hardware or environment, personally. But I’m glad this works for some people.

NG doesn’t support my product anymore. They had to make an exception the last time I called because my 90 days of support were up. I asked if I can purchase a support package; and they said it’s not for sale in my country. So they agreed to help on principle that I had no options haha. This is all I have sadly…
Message 82 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand that as well. Though going forward, NG would and should probably check on your system to be sure it can take newer v4 FW and work right. There could be some odd HW or Mis configurations that they could look into and check to see if there is something wrong with the FW, HW or your configuration to make sure it works better. NG is only going to update these with V4 versions of FW and if they don't know what's going on with your particular unit, then this maybe passed over and you'll not be able to fully use V4 FW. It should be looked into so you can take advantage of future FW updates. 

Message 83 of 184
jordand
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Understand that as well. Though going forward, NG would and should probably check on your system to be sure it can take newer v4 FW and work right. There could be some odd HW or Mis configurations that they could look into and check to see if there is something wrong with the FW, HW or your configuration to make sure it works better. NG is only going to update these with V4 versions of FW and if they don't know what's going on with your particular unit, then this maybe passed over and you'll not be able to fully use V4 FW. It should be looked into so you can take advantage of future FW updates. 

I really want to get this resolved. I like to use things that are updated, and I hate the fact that it's running an old version and the app doesn't work properly because of it. But I don't really have a choice, do I? I could contact NG again, but it's quite difficult to get in touch with them, especially here in the netherlands. I'll just stick it out with this firmware and hope it doesn't get me hacked 😂

Message 84 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Just so we know, how what your Orbi updated? Auto update or did you manually download and apply the FW update your self on to the RBS the RBR web pages? 

@jordand wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I really want to get this resolved. I like to use things that are updated, and I hate the fact that it's running an old version and the app doesn't work properly because of it. But I don't really have a choice, do I? I could contact NG again, but it's quite difficult to get in touch with them, especially here in the netherlands. I'll just stick it out with this firmware and hope it doesn't get me hacked 😂

Message 85 of 184
jordand
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just so we know, how what your Orbi updated? Auto update or did you manually download and apply the FW update your self on to the RBS the RBR web pages? 

@jordand wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So as recommended, I updated the RBS first, one by one, via ethernet connection. I visited their admin pages, uploaded the firmware. I then powered them off, updated the router, powered that off, factory reset everything and set it all up from scratch on the latest v4 (this one). I tried it for a couple of days, and the main issue was that no matter if I had 1 or 2 satellites, at seemingly random intervals, all devices connected to satellites would randomly jump to the router.

I adjusted the transmit power, reduced the amount of satellites, disabled AX, tried all sorts of things. I couldn't get a reliable connection out of the satellites. My Wifi would just drop continuously. I was in video calls for work and every 2-5 minutes I would lose 30 seconds of audio and video because my connection went to 2.4ghz and 1mbps.

I've had no such issues on v3. So, after downgrading again (a lengthy procedure at that!) everything is fine again thankfully. I really don't think my setup is strange. It's a regular terraced house, 150m2, three floors, with a satellite on each. It's quite an old house, so I thought maybe we had too many satellites, but the issue remains no matter if there is 1 or 2.

On v3, everything seems to roam correctly.

Message 86 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thank you for this information. 

What channels are you using? Try 1 and 40 on the RBR...next time you get v4 loaded.

@jordand wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@jordand wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So as recommended, I updated the RBS first, one by one, via ethernet connection. I visited their admin pages, uploaded the firmware. I then powered them off, updated the router, powered that off, factory reset everything and set it all up from scratch on the latest v4 (this one). I tried it for a couple of days, and the main issue was that no matter if I had 1 or 2 satellites, at seemingly random intervals, all devices connected to satellites would randomly jump to the router.

I adjusted the transmit power, reduced the amount of satellites, disabled AX, tried all sorts of things. I couldn't get a reliable connection out of the satellites. My Wifi would just drop continuously. I was in video calls for work and every 2-5 minutes I would lose 30 seconds of audio and video because my connection went to 2.4ghz and 1mbps.

I've had no such issues on v3. So, after downgrading again (a lengthy procedure at that!) everything is fine again thankfully. I really don't think my setup is strange. It's a regular terraced house, 150m2, three floors, with a satellite on each. It's quite an old house, so I thought maybe we had too many satellites, but the issue remains no matter if there is 1 or 2.

On v3, everything seems to roam correctly.

Message 87 of 184
Theobuck
Apprentice

Is anyone else having issues with all devices disappearing from the app and web interface? Also a drop in WiFi speed. I rebooted, but about a day later, all my devices are gone, and the performance dropped.
Message 88 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the ISP Modem/ONT and RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer then back on? 

@Theobuck wrote:
Is anyone else having issues with all devices disappearing from the app and web interface? Also a drop in WiFi speed. I rebooted, but about a day later, all my devices are gone, and the performance dropped.

Message 89 of 184
Theobuck
Apprentice

Not yet I call tech support since it is still under Gearhead contract. They made some configuration changes and reloaded the Firmware. It is doing the same thing today. I am calling support back tonight (oh joy). I will try to power down the ONT & The Orbi system also. I had a gut feeling I should hold off on the upgrade
Message 90 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

Try that first. 

A factory reset maybe needed as well. 

Message 91 of 184
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I discovered the new firmware caused my sats to get out of sync with the router and even doing a standard re-sync would not get them back on the same page with the router. Take a close look at the router's webpage and determine what channel the 2.4 GHz band is broadcasting on. (Under the wireless tab.) Then check each satellite's webpage and determine if the sats are broadcasting on the same channel. If not, set the router to whatever channel the sats are broadcasting, apply the change, and let the system settle for 10-15 minutes. Check the router and sats again to be certain they're all on the same channel. This work-around stabilized my Orbi system and brought speeds back up.  Good Luck!

Message 92 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Security-Enabled-and-Guest-Network-E...

@tucsontico wrote:

I discovered the new firmware caused my sats to get out of sync with the router and even doing a standard re-sync would not get them back on the same page with the router. Take a close look at the router's webpage and determine what channel the 2.4 GHz band is broadcasting on. (Under the wireless tab.) Then check each satellite's webpage and determine if the sats are broadcasting on the same channel. If not, set the router to whatever channel the sats are broadcasting, apply the change, and let the system settle for 10-15 minutes. Check the router and sats again to be certain they're all on the same channel. This work-around stabilized my Orbi system and brought speeds back up.  Good Luck!

Message 93 of 184
MNChuck
Tutor

I have an Orbi 753 system (router, 2 satellites) and upgraded manually to 4.6.7.13 using the process recommended here:  updated the satellites first, then the router, then powered everything off for about 10 minutes and restarted the router and then the satellites.  This firmware update was done on March 24.  The Orbi portal shows the router and both satellites on the latest version of firmware.  The satellites are both hardwired back to the router and I have previously gone through the process of making sure that the ethernet switches in my system are compatible with the Orbi.   My system was very stable on the previous version of firmware (4.6.7.5) which I had also updated manually back on January 18 using the same manual update process as described above.

Since the firmware update, I have had the wireless network in my home disappear several times.  It just happened again a few minutes ago and I was able to verify that the router remained operational as a PC that is hardwired to the router continued to have internet connectivity, but devices connected wirelessly to the router showed no wireless network in the home.   After about 5 minutes the wireless network reappeared, but both satellites displayed the blue light as they started up again;  the routed did not display the white flashing or solid light.

I am not sure what to do at this point to get this system to be more reliable on this latest version of firmware, but would welcome any suggestions.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 94 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

What channels are you using? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@MNChuck wrote:

I have an Orbi 753 system (router, 2 satellites) and upgraded manually to 4.6.7.13 using the process recommended here:  updated the satellites first, then the router, then powered everything off for about 10 minutes and restarted the router and then the satellites.  This firmware update was done on March 24.  The Orbi portal shows the router and both satellites on the latest version of firmware.  The satellites are both hardwired back to the router and I have previously gone through the process of making sure that the ethernet switches in my system are compatible with the Orbi.   My system was very stable on the previous version of firmware (4.6.7.5) which I had also updated manually back on January 18 using the same manual update process as described above.

Since the firmware update, I have had the wireless network in my home disappear several times.  It just happened again a few minutes ago and I was able to verify that the router remained operational as a PC that is hardwired to the router continued to have internet connectivity, but devices connected wirelessly to the router showed no wireless network in the home.   After about 5 minutes the wireless network reappeared, but both satellites displayed the blue light as they started up again;  the routed did not display the white flashing or solid light.

I am not sure what to do at this point to get this system to be more reliable on this latest version of firmware, but would welcome any suggestions.

Message 95 of 184
MNChuck
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response on this. 

The modem is a Netgear CM1150V and the ethernet switches are Netgear ProSafe GS105E's.  The house is 5000 sq ft on two levels;  one satellite is about 50 feet from the router with an interior wall in between, and the second satellite is about 50 feet from the first satellite with interior walls in between as well.   But as I indicated in my post, both satellites are hardwired back to the router.

I do have neighbors in houses detached from ours, and at least one of their wifi networks shows up in my house though interference has never been an issue.  But, I will try designating the channels as you suggested.

I think it is significant that both satellites disconnected from the router for some reason while the router remained able to provide wired internet connectivity to a PC wired directly into the router.  To me, this would eliminate issues with the modem or ISP provider, and would seem to point to an issue with the Orbi system.  What could cause wired backhaul satellites to lose connection to the router while the router continues to operate.

One other detail - when I was unable to access the wireless network, the 'Guest' network on my Orbi system was also not working.

Message 96 of 184
Theobuck
Apprentice

So, the reboot of the ONT & Router + Satellites for ten minutes didn't help. The devices show up till the next morning, then nothing. My connection seems good for WiFi and connected devices with no speed drops, just the odd status of the network. It seems important to know what is connected and what isn't. 😕
Anyway called Gearhead support again, they reflashed the router, and the agent talked to the engineering team. From what I understand, I am not the only one who reported this issue, and in a week or so, he said there would be a new release (patch) for the new FW version. 🤞
Message 97 of 184
Cyv
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, same here.

This firmware is still buggy af. Devices disappear, devices have temporary disconnects, even if they are in the same room then the rbr or rbs. The wifi speed is not even constant and sometimes my devices have no access to the internet, especially iPhones and iPads. I have to reconnect manually. This is still a shame.

Message 98 of 184
HoverDonkey
Aspirant

i've been mega-stable running firmware  V4.6.7.5_2.1.7.

Uptime of more than 40 days with everything running smoothly. It's a beta version, but it's working really well for me!

Message 99 of 184
FURRYe38
Guru

I would give the system a full factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Also that switch has some 'Green Ethernet' features. Something that maybe causing problems with your system. Seen some switches work ok but others give problems. 

Also be sure LAN cabling is good. CAT6 is recommended. You might use CAT6A Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) between the modem and RBR. Shortest lenth possible.

@MNChuck wrote:

Thanks for the quick response on this. 

The modem is a Netgear CM1150V and the ethernet switches are Netgear ProSafe GS105E's.  The house is 5000 sq ft on two levels;  one satellite is about 50 feet from the router with an interior wall in between, and the second satellite is about 50 feet from the first satellite with interior walls in between as well.   But as I indicated in my post, both satellites are hardwired back to the router.

I do have neighbors in houses detached from ours, and at least one of their wifi networks shows up in my house though interference has never been an issue.  But, I will try designating the channels as you suggested.

I think it is significant that both satellites disconnected from the router for some reason while the router remained able to provide wired internet connectivity to a PC wired directly into the router.  To me, this would eliminate issues with the modem or ISP provider, and would seem to point to an issue with the Orbi system.  What could cause wired backhaul satellites to lose connection to the router while the router continues to operate.

One other detail - when I was unable to access the wireless network, the 'Guest' network on my Orbi system was also not working.

Message 100 of 184
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7