Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

Foden
Apprentice

"@FA" = Typo, should have been 2FA (Two Factor Authentication)

I always do, have multiple backups for different stages. Currently seems a better outcome when I rebuild it from scratch. Just 10-15mins of mindless copy/paste no biggie

Message 51 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, was wondering. 

Sounds like it's working better. Hopefully the VoIP apps will work better too. 

Message 52 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

I understood what you meant - IMHO poor QA, cutting corners and greed is why faulty firmware made it out into the world on these Orbi devices

Message 53 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Auto firmware update will only apply v4.6.5.14 (which is broken I accept) not v4.6.7.5 - yes QA has been going down the toilet for the last few years for sure

I think we see similar things, just expressing it differenlty

Message 54 of 261
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Also I installed the latest firmware version 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 , after many, many, manyh drops of the WIFI connection during the day of my Orbi 852 Router and Satellite.

Also this version does not fixed that issue. 

Below some screenshots of the drops the last 3 hours, taken from a computer connected to the wifi network...

firmware version.jpgSateliet.jpgRouter.jpg

Message 55 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Possible that your series 8 Orbi has different firmware to the series 7 we have here 

Message 56 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here for your 8 series Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Thank you.

@Retired_Member wrote:

Also I installed the latest firmware version 4.6.7.5_2.1.7 , after many, many, manyh drops of the WIFI connection during the day of my Orbi 852 Router and Satellite.

Also this version does not fixed that issue. 

Below some screenshots of the drops the last 3 hours, taken from a computer connected to the wifi network...

firmware version.jpgSateliet.jpgRouter.jpg

Message 57 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

This is my last one post on this topic, I promise Smiley Wink

On my system, I know for a fact that v4.6.7.5 does not get applied automatically but v4.6.5.14 does. I downgraded to v3.x and forgot to disable access to the Netgear firmware sites and the router almost instantaneously upgraded to v4.6.5.14

Firmware v4.6.5.14 is the most recent I will see and is the current one on the offical RBR750 Firmware page. I belive that is because v4.6.7.5 is a beta release

Message 58 of 261
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Yashur21 wrote:

@Foden wrote:

Auto firmware update will only apply v4.6.5.14 (which is broken I accept) not v4.6.7.5 - yes QA has been going down the toilet for the last few years for sure

I think we see similar things, just expressing it differenlty

Perhaps 

After seeing where Netgear is seeking beta testers, I'm not sure I would rule out any firmware not being broken.  If you know which firmware qualifies for auto update you might want to buy a lottery ticket.

Where is Netgear seeking beta testers?   Did you apply?  It might be a way to make the firmware perfect...

Message 59 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

I updated to the 4.6.7.5 (Router and 1 Satellite) with no issues.

After update, unplugged both router and satellite for approximately 5 minutes.   Turned them back on and satellite took a little longer than I remember to connect, but connected and reported GOOD connection.

DDNS registration (to mynetgear.com) was successful.   Saw successful DDNS registration in log and was able to ping it successfully.

I also did a test send of my router log (manual send) and it was successful.   I have a noip.com mail account, and the connection was successful and router log was sent and received successfully.

Still other testing to do, but two of the issues reported by others (DDNS and Log Mailing) are not being seen on my system.

My DDNS issue was resolved by deleting the hostname from noip before setting it up on the router, I have to do that anytime I rebuild the router. Emailing logs was resolved, weirdly, by using port 25 (which is supposedly blocked by my email provider)

What changes from default settings have you made with your setup, and what else are you testing?

Message 60 of 261
d700
Apprentice

Parental controls...oy. I wondered about that a while back when I discovered the "Orbi Pro" series, seemed like much better fit for my needs (home office) probably many others here having problems as well.

@FURRYe38 are Orbi Pro users experiencing these problems? Were the problems introduced with all the family and secruity sofware? I swear, I felt like I was buying a new mobile phone circa 2010, all that preloaded junk.

Could we just load a Pro Version of the fimware? Or are there hardware differences? Has NetGear considered giving us a stripped out, fully working firmware without all that optional software most of us aren't using anyway? 

I'd hate to find out all these problems were tied to decisions made on software to squeeze out another $100/year from 5% of NG user base, at the sacrifice of stability. 

Message 61 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to post here about and see if your looking to find out about Orbi Pro:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi

@d700 wrote:

Parental controls...oy. I wondered about that a while back when I discovered the "Orbi Pro" series, seemed like much better fit for my needs (home office) probably many others here having problems as well.

@FURRYe38 are Orbi Pro users experiencing these problems? Were the problems introduced with all the family and secruity sofware? I swear, I felt like I was buying a new mobile phone circa 2010, all that preloaded junk.

Could we just load a Pro Version of the fimware? Or are there hardware differences? Has NetGear considered giving us a stripped out, fully working firmware without all that optional software most of us aren't using anyway? 

I'd hate to find out all these problems were tied to decisions made on software to squeeze out another $100/year from 5% of NG user base, at the sacrifice of stability. 

Message 62 of 261
Palvyre
Aspirant

Did this include any fixes for SPC? Specifically the Bedtime scheduling is not currently working.
Message 63 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the release notes:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v...

@Palvyre wrote:
Did this include any fixes for SPC? Specifically the Bedtime scheduling is not currently working.

Message 64 of 261
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@Foden wrote:

My DDNS issue was resolved by deleting the hostname from noip before setting it up on the router, I have to do that anytime I rebuild the router. Emailing logs was resolved, weirdly, by using port 25 (which is supposedly blocked by my email provider)

What changes from default settings have you made with your setup, and what else are you testing?

Changes from default setting are:

AX off on 2.4Ghz band  -  keeping it on for the 5G band.  No need to have AX on for 2.4GHz band - there are no 2.4GHz devices with AX capabilities that I am aware of. 

CTS/RTS set to 2347  (I keep an eye on network statistics checking for collisions - have never encountered any with CTS/RTS set to 2347)

20/40 Co-existence is OFF.  Please note that I am in fairly rural Montana - and have quite a bit of distance between neighbors so I have never encountered interference or channel congestion issues with neighbors.   While I can see some neighbor's SSIDs, they are all pretty low strength so I am not bound by the constraints of not wanting to interfere with neighbors.

Band channels are set (1 for 2.4GHz, 48 on 5GHz) -  I never let channels be auto selected.  

I do use reserved addresses for my devices.  But that's just a 'me being me' thing.   If something is connecting/disconnecting, it's easier to tell at a glance what type of device it is by the IP address.

I have a mix of wifi and wired connected devices (4 wired, 35 wireless).  Most of the wireless connected devices are cameras, smart plugs (9), wall switches, streaming devices (3), Google Home devices, and a mix of other home automation devices.

I also have router set to auto E-Mail router log daily at 6AM.   That way I can see if there was anything connecting/disconnecting and needing to be looked at.   I have a couple of Arlo cameras that have a tendency to do that if the battery is getting low.   Also if I get an off schedule E-Mail log - I can tell that something weird is happening because the log will fill up and get mailed and cleared.

I do not use Armor or SPC. 

Still wanting to test throughput, streaming quality, and overall stability.

Message 65 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Current setup

• 2.4 Ghz AX                 Off
  • CTS/RTS                    2347
  • 20/40 Co-existence    Off
  • 2.4Ghz Channel          Auto – don’t care as this is mainly IOT devices
  • 5 Ghz Channel            48
  • Upnp                           Off
  • IPv6                             Off

All my devices, 50+, all have reservations (that’s a me being in IT thing pre-COVID ☹) MHO only way to properly manage your network. Most of my devices are also wireless - cell phones, tablets, 18 smart plugs/cameras, 4 streaming devices, Thermostat plus numerous wired PC’s and a NAS. I have a pi running pihole to manage DNS and DHCP – prefer router to do DHCP and will eventually swap back

I don’t use Armour or SPC

Streaming – never had an issue and streaming devices all use 5Ghz. As they buffer data so any short drops wouldn’t be as obvious unlike voice calls. All my TV/movie watching is via FireStick 4K Max

‘Appear’ to have less WhatsApp issues with CTS/RTS set at 2347 rather than 64, which from what i've read isn;t a good setting but does work better than default

Router has never crashed or rebooted on its own and wired connectivity is rock solid

Message 66 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

There a reason why uPnP is disabled? Wondering if this could cause problems for Whatsapp...

Message 67 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Upnp is always disabled on my routers. IMHO it's a really really really bad idea and an easy way to have your networked breached

If I was in charge it would never see the light of day on any device Smiley Very Happy

Message 68 of 261
FURRYe38
Guru

All the years I've had it enabled have seen no problems with it enabled. No intrustions. Trust me, I'm always watching. But thats me. 

👍 Thats a old article. UpNp has been updated since then. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping.

Message 69 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Ignorance is bliss they say Smiley Wink

It pretty much allows anything to connect to your router/network with little to no identification required

https://do-it-for-me-solutions.medium.com/the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-good-intentions-disable-upn...

Message 70 of 261

Foden you have a very similar set up to me including devices you connect.

Setting CTS/RTS to 2347 is not necessarily bad.  If you have no collisions over the network you can actually get a very small performance boost set up this way.  The reason is lets say you set it to 64, if working correctly (and I'm in doubt that anything with Orbi really works correctly) then any packet that needs transmitting over 64 bytes will first have to send RTS (Request To Send) and wait for CTS (Clear To Send).  Its essentially a handshake, and should stop collisions occuring but there will be a small lag while the handshake happens.  If your network is not seeing issues with collisions or lost packets then setting it to 2347 is greater than or equal to the max packet size over wifi, which means you'll never do the handshake and gain a slight performance increase.

My issue is so far on any 4.x firmware I've never been able to get the satellites to reliably stay connected.  On 3.x at last count I was up for 29 days and then something went wrong and I had to reboot the router.  It was strange because the satellite was saying connected and no lights had shown, but anything connected to it was not showing in the device list and could get no data.  Ethernet devices + wifi on the RBR was fine.  29 days for a reboot I can live with though.  

I'd try this beta but given the extra steps to get back to 3.x if it doesn't work out, I'm keeping it on 3 until something better comes along and I can chuck the Orbi in the bin.  I'll never buy anything with only 90 days support in my life again.  Consumers can choose not to support companies that have so little faith in their own products they'll only warranty it for 90 days.

Message 71 of 261

Agreed if you don't need upnp turn that off.  I have had to enable it, but I'm not using Orbi for any routing (its a terrible router).  I have it enabled on an EdgeRouter4 but have added rules so that only select devices that need it can create any rules and only to their own IPs.  Its probably still not a great idea, but consoles are a bit of a pain with different games requiring different ports.  Realistically I could learn the ports for every game being played and forward them but I figure with ACL set up to a few devices that need it I should be ok

Message 72 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Yeah, if you're not sure what ports to forward (can be a royal PITA to figure that out) having a solid ACL should be OK

Message 73 of 261
scissormetimber
Aspirant

I was amazing to stumble onto this thread from reddit. I thought I had been doing something wrong this whole time with my orbi setup with all the disconnections/having to unplug and plug back in my RBR and 3 RBS 750s several times per week.

Most of the suggestions here make sense, I took the manual firmware updates and went back to AP mode. The only thing I dont get, how do I block the automatic firmware updates? Do I have to do that in the VZW router that is now my access point instead of my RBR750? the section is greyed out for me to 'Block Sites' and 'Block Services' since i am now in AP mode.

Also something totally aside, when I connect from my work computer via work VPN but through my orbi wifi, I get major performance drops using fast.com. If i disable and re-enable my wifi in windows 'Network Connections' it jumps back up to a reasonable speed but then deteriorates again. I could have something to do with my company settings, but just curious if anyone else experiences this?

This post here: (1) New - RBR750 / RBS750 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released : orbi (reddit.com)

https://http.fw.updates1.netgear.com/

Indicated to block a URL but I am not sure that it is properly working because when I go to check firmware in the orbi, it just says "no new firmware available".

In my verizon router you cannot block a full URL, it complains. so I blocked the keyword 'updates1' since that is part of the URL and I dont want to block netgear.com because of this message board.

Message 74 of 261
Foden
Apprentice

Once you switch to AP mode the router isnt a router any more, just an Access Point which allows, distant, devices to connect to the router you have, hopefully, somewhere on your network. Not entirely clear how your network gear is setup though

I use pihole to block the firmware updates

• devcom.up.netgear.com
  • http.fw.updates1.netgear.com
Message 75 of 261
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7