Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

All they'd need to do to make me (and many others) happy would be to release a new version of the 3.2.16.6 fimware, where auto update is disabled.

Message 151 of 317
Rads
Tutor

@skeelo wrote:

Completely agree.  That said, I have over $1k invested and a bunch of time in this setup and would prefer not to shell out more money something different.

I do not really care about the firmware control to be honest.  I just want something that works consistently, as this device did for nearly two years prior to the latest firmware upgrade.

Yeah, in pracctical terms I agree but in principle I disagree with NG removing my control.

Mine worked great until it didn't.  This is where the issue lies.  When they f'up we are stuck until they decide to release fixed firmware.  Their flawed decision to not allow us to downgrade firmware and have it "stick" is what is causing all this noise.  If we still had the option to turn off auto update (either in the GUI or via Telnet) we would simply downgrade and patiently wait for an updated firmware but instead we have expense, unreliable networking gear.

Message 152 of 317
ChrisBoer
Guide

I have also nummerous disconnects since release 4.6.3.16 when will this be fixed by Netgear.

Or make it possible to downgrade to previous version.

Message 153 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 154 of 317
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @spewak , @Rads , @ChrisBoer , @GoldenRetroGame , @elayton28 

Thank you for sharing your concerns here. Our engineering team is aware of the frustration being expressed and would love an opportunity to work with you directly to further troubleshoot the issues along with capturing debug logs. This can greatly increase our ability to isolate the issue(s) and begin working on a fix.

If you're willing, please send me a private message with your contact information along with the best days/times to contact you and we'll reach out to you promptly.

Best,

Christine T.

Message 155 of 317
KMDonlon
Luminary

Why is this thread marked "SOLVED" when it obviously is not? I am sure there are others experiencing issues with this firmware that may not be posting here.
Message 156 of 317
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @KMDonlon ,

Thanks for pointing this out! I'll remove the flag promptly. If you need assistance with your Orbi system please feel free to send me your contact information along with the best time to reach you and we can continue to work toward a true resolution.

Kind Regards,

Christine T.

Message 157 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Solution to ones problems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Also there maybe some that are not posting with working systems as well. Not everyone is having this problem though I presume there is a higher percentage with systems that are not. 

Message 158 of 317
izme
Star

Actually, a new update with auto-update disabled is not exactly what you want. Because if you decide to downgrade, you will be at a version that does update automatically again Smiley LOL

What would work is a new version that is basically a working old version - with the autoupdate disabled. If they want give people the choice, but with disable auto-update, then first a version with auto-update disabled and then adding those versions that are known to be working for this group or that group. 

Message 159 of 317
ChrisBoer
Guide

Do you use your ORBI as AP or as ROUTER because once I started using it as ROUTER the problems started.

Message 160 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 161 of 317
izme
Star

I am using for my LAN setup another ip-range than the usual (like xx.xx.xx.xx for router IP, Address with IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0), however I see some devices attached with Ip numbers in the normal range (192.168.2.0 etc) which is outside the range I am using. Shouldn't that not be possible at all?

Still strugling btw with fall-outs. I am now trying with the wireless sattelite (which often had backhaul status poor) moved to a place where it can be wired (now both my sattelites are backhaul wired with status good

Message 162 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

"(like xx.xx.xx.xx for router IP," < This should not be the IP address for the routers IP on the LAN side. Is this the IP address for the WAN port? The IP address for the routers LAN side should be a 192.168.something.1. 

"I see some devices attached with Ip numbers in the normal range (192.168.2.0 etc)" < Do you have Guest Network enabledf? 

@izme wrote:

I am using for my LAN setup another ip-range than the usual (like xx.xx.xx.xx for router IP, Address with IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0), however I see some devices attached with Ip numbers in the normal range (192.168.2.0 etc) which is outside the range I am using. Shouldn't that not be possible at all?

Still strugling btw with fall-outs. I am now trying with the wireless sattelite (which often had backhaul status poor) moved to a place where it can be wired (now both my sattelites are backhaul wired with status good

Message 163 of 317
izme
Star

Yes well, it's not exactly xx.xx.1x.x7 (I thought to keep it secret, lol) I am using something in the range 10.0.19.x which should be possible for the LAN setup.

Now you mention it, indeed I see all those 192.168 addresses for the guest network that I have enabled. It seems that that is not configurable or at least not following the setup I use in 'LAN setup' which would put it in the 10.0.19.x range...Thanks for demystifying that part 🙂

Message 164 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok Ya, WAN IPs should not be posted in public forums. LAN IPs can be as thats mostly common across all routers and yes, can be a 10.something address. This usually means that you have a up stream router in front of the orbi router if thats the case using a 192.168.1.1 address thus the orbi will auto change to a 10 something address on the LAN side. Otherwise, 192 addresses are default and most commonly used. 

Message 165 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok Ya, WAN IPs should not be posted in public forums. LAN IPs can be as thats mostly common across all routers and yes, can be a 10.something address. This usually means that you have a up stream router in front of the orbi router if thats the case using a 192.168.1.1 address thus the orbi will auto change to a 10 something address on the LAN side. Otherwise, 192 addresses are default and most commonly used. 

My bad for not being clear 🙂 the 10.something address is set by myself via the browser console. It is possible to change the router IP address manually, in the advanced tab > setup > LAN setup, there you can change it.

Anyways, it seems for the moment that connecting all sattelites with a wired connection does make a difference. Fingers crossed..

Message 166 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@izme wrote:

My bad for not being clear 🙂 the 10.something address is set by myself via the browser console. It is possible to change the router IP address manually, in the advanced tab > setup > LAN setup, there you can change it. Yes.

Anyways, it seems for the moment that connecting all sattelites with a wired connection does make a difference. Fingers crossed..

Keep an eye on it. 

Message 167 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@izme wrote:

Keep an eye on it. 

Sadly the dis- and reconnects re-appeared.

Is there any official statement from netgear on this issue? Are they working on improved firmware? Or are they denying there is a problem?

Message 168 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

NG IS aware of the problems on v4 FW AND IS working on it. 

You might try downgrading the RBS to last v3 FW version, then maybe re-apply v4 FW. Factory reset the entire system helps as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

What I did to get v4.6.3.16 working on 8 series:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

@izme wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@izme wrote:

Keep an eye on it. 

Sadly the dis- and reconnects re-appeared.

Is there any official statement from netgear on this issue? Are they working on improved firmware? Or are they denying there is a problem?

Message 169 of 317
mvl-sb
Aspirant

Without detailing the kind of work I do: it is 100% remote and I reached the point that I my income was at risk. The (lack of) stability of my wifi caused so many interruptions in network connections that it impacts the business relations with my clients. I replaced an RBR850 + 2x RBS850 with four Asus ZenWifi XT8 Wifi6 mesh devices. 

Goodbye Netgear, you mes(s/h)ed up.

Message 170 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

Message 171 of 317
spewak
Luminary

Rads,

No issue at all. I have Directv stream connected to my wifi with a fiber fed 100meg connection and the picture is pretty flawless. Speed tests run when streaming still top out at near 94 down and up. I have 24 devices connected as well. I would recommend it overall.

Additionally, after reading another post of yours, Linksys software DOES have the opt-in ability to auto-upgrade the firmware or not. Default is set to off. Bonus.

Message 172 of 317
spewak
Luminary

ChristineT,

Thanks for reaching out. I sent my unit back as it was too much money out of pocket for a product that I could not use reliably.

I have had nothing BUT Netgear in my home, but no more.

As I stated in one of my posts, as soon as Netgear gets their s**t together, then I will most likely return. Until then, I purchased and am using Linksys' Velop mesh system.

Message 173 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@ChristineT 

@spewak wrote:

ChristineT,

Thanks for reaching out. I sent my unit back as it was too much money out of pocket for a product that I could not use reliably.

I have had nothing BUT Netgear in my home, but no more.

As I stated in one of my posts, as soon as Netgear gets their s**t together, then I will most likely return. Until then, I purchased and am using Linksys' Velop mesh system.

Message 174 of 317
tjtrimble
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG IS aware of the problems on v4 FW AND IS working on it. 

Thats good to hear....I've been waiting months for this.  This firmware version and lack of a timely response has definitely damaged their corporate reputation.  I'm no longer brand loyal due to this.

Message 175 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7