Guru

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

👍

Message 176 of 317
xory72
Star

@ChristineT 

I am new to the Orbi RBK852 with 1 RBS.   I read nothing but great reviews by professionals.  I upgraded to the Orbi to get better speeds and expand my network coverage.  Install went perfect and easy.    3 weeks went by and nothing but great speeds and solid WiFI.   Then during the wee hours of the morning ... internet was lost.  RBK-850 was Solid Magenta.  Wifi was broadcasting, internal communication was working but nohing in or out via the modum.  Modum indicated all was good there and I did have VOIP phones.    Power Cycle the RBK852 (as I did not know of this issues since I was new to Netgear) and all was restored.   This lasted about 7-10 days and it happened again.   Then 4 days later again.  I thought I had bad hardware so I retuend and exchanegd the Orbi.   Did the new install from scratch and easy peasy.  All was good for about 10 days and bam ... lost internet, RBK-852 was Solid Magenta again ... internal commication but no Internet.  I logged in to the RBK-852 via the browser to look at status, health, IP addresses etc and all looked fine except "NOT ONLINE".  Now ... I started to research online and found this.   To be honest this is extremely disapointing that NG has let this go on this long.  I was reluctant to buy anything Netgear from past experices ... but the reviews were so good I thought I would give it a shot ... an now this.  Not a very good way to win back customrs that left you in the past NG.  I work in broadcast and have many customers ask me about WiFi routers etc ... I can assure you if this does not get fixed quickly ... Netgear and or Orbi wil NOT be recommened.    This has caused me many issues of not being able to be online, many hours or trying to figure out what my issue is and scraching my head as to why my $125 wireless router was and still is more reliable (minus the speeds) then this NEW 5x the price more Orbi mesh system!!!!    Please tell me and shed some good news for the rest of the Orbi community that there is an fix around the corner so I and or we do not have to shop for another router. 

Message 177 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.

@xory72 wrote:

I am new to the Orbi RBK852 with 1 RBS.   I read nothing but great reviews by professionals.  I upgraded to the Orbi to get better speeds and expand my network coverage.  Install went perfect and easy.    3 weeks went by and nothing but great speeds and solid WiFI.   Then during the wee hours of the morning ... internet was lost.  RBK-850 was Solid Magenta.  Wifi was broadcasting, internal communication was working but nohing in or out via the modum.  Modum indicated all was good there and I did have VOIP phones.    Power Cycle the RBK852 (as I did not know of this issues since I was new to Netgear) and all was restored.   This lasted about 7-10 days and it happened again.   Then 4 days later again.  I thought I had bad hardware so I retuend and exchanegd the Orbi.   Did the new install from scratch and easy peasy.  All was good for about 10 days and bam ... lost internet, RBK-852 was Solid Magenta again ... internal commication but no Internet.  I logged in to the RBK-852 via the browser to look at status, health, IP addresses etc and all looked fine except "NOT ONLINE".  Now ... I started to research online and found this.   To be honest this is extremely disapointing that NG has let this go on this long.  I was reluctant to buy anything Netgear from past experices ... but the reviews were so good I thought I would give it a shot ... an now this.  Not a very good way to win back customrs that left you in the past NG.  I work in broadcast and have many customers ask me about WiFi routers etc ... I can assure you if this does not get fixed quickly ... Netgear and or Orbi wil NOT be recommened.    This has caused me many issues of not being able to be online, many hours or trying to figure out what my issue is and scraching my head as to why my $125 wireless router was and still is more reliable (minus the speeds) then this NEW 5x the price more Orbi mesh system!!!!    Please tell me and shed some good news for the rest of the Orbi community that there is an fix around the corner so I and or we do not have to shop for another router. 

Message 178 of 317
McLong
Apprentice

"Welcome to the party, pal!" John McClane, Die Hard.

Seriously though I think it's safe to say this has been happening to most of us who are using the RBR as a router and really hope we get some type of fix in the next firmware.
Message 179 of 317
BrutusBuckeye
Aspirant

Same thing for me - random disconnections started a few days ago and I also have FW version 4.6.3.16.  WTF.  Does a factory reset really work?

Message 180 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

@BrutusBuckeye wrote:

Same thing for me - random disconnections started a few days ago and I also have FW version 4.6.3.16.  WTF.  Does a factory reset really work?

Yes.  Unfortunately, until NG releases an updated firmware this is the only solution I have found that gets me back online.  Super frustrating with a mutl-satellite setup and 40+ devices.

I have tried blocking the auto update URLs and IPs at my ISPs modem with no luck, there is no option to turn off auto update, and reloading prior FW versions works for a day or so until they are auto updated with 4.6.3.16.

Good luck.

Message 181 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by "random disconnections started a few days ago"? Is this wireless or wired or both? 

Any front RBR or RBS LED indication when this happens? 
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

How long have you had your system for? 

Was it updated recently or a while back? 

v3.16 has been out for months. 

@BrutusBuckeye wrote:

Message 182 of 317
xory72
Star

@FURRYe38 

V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

I will have to get back to you on the DSL Modem, make and model #.  ISP is Century Link  / DSL

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

YES prior to the instial intallation and again after I noticed an update ... however I am going to do this for a 3rd time tonight and also reset the Orbi and start from scratch (since the update to v4.6.3.16.)

Willl do and I will follow up with a response after 7 -10 days or so.  If it fails again ... I am going to have to move onto another brand or my old router (until an update is released) as I cannot waste more & more time on this.  This is SOOOOO frustrating.

Message 183 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@xory72 wrote:

@FURRYe38 

V4.6.3.16_2.0.51

I will have to get back to you on the DSL Modem, make and model #.  ISP is Century Link  / DSL

If yoru on this ISP, I bet there is a router built in to the modem. 

FYI,

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

YES prior to the instial intallation and again after I noticed an update ... however I am going to do this for a 3rd time tonight and also reset the Orbi and start from scratch (since the update to v4.6.3.16.)

Willl do and I will follow up with a response after 7 -10 days or so.  If it fails again ... I am going to have to move onto another brand or my old router (until an update is released) as I cannot waste more & more time on this.  This is SOOOOO frustrating.

Message 184 of 317
xory72
Star

FYI,

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Century Link supplied a Modem only and separate Wireless WiFi Router which is what I had in place prior to the Orbi.  Installed the Orbi ... and now having this disconnect issue.   

My Modem is a Moden only ... I would imagine that the Modem is either configured as Bridged or Modem only since they supplied a Wireless WiFi Router.

I will call my ISP and see if they can log in a see the settings and make sure the modem is set to either bridge or modem only.

I will get back to you with the findings.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 185 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@xory72 wrote:

FYI,

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Century Link supplied a Modem only and separate Wireless WiFi Router which is what I had in place prior to the Orbi.  Installed the Orbi ... and now having this disconnect issue.   

My Modem is a Moden only ... I would imagine that the Modem is either configured as Bridged or Modem only since they supplied a Wireless WiFi Router.

I will call my ISP and see if they can log in a see the settings and make sure the modem is set to either bridge or modem only.

I will get back to you with the findings.

Message 186 of 317
xory72
Star

@FURRYe38 

Ok ... so I have what Century Link calls a router but is 2 separate units.  1 is the ONT Modem and the other the "Router".

ONT is the Calix 716GE-I R2

Router (Wi-Fi) part is the Zxcel C1100

I called the ISP / Century Link and told them what I was doing (replacing the "Router").   They told me with current configruation that they can see it should be plug and play.  They said the "modem" was set with IpoE / DHCP.  I woul dnot need any PPPoE or 201 Tagging set up.  So all should be stright foward with the configuration of the Netgear Orbi.  

I cannot say that I saw how the Calis ONT is configured, but this iwhat I was told.  So far ... 2 days no disconnect from the internet yet after a Factory Reset and reconfigure (after the v16 update)

Message 187 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

There we go. Ok, glad you confirmed information with the ISP. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@xory72 wrote:

Ok ... so I have what Century Link calls a router but is 2 separate units.  1 is the ONT Modem and the other the "Router".

ONT is the Calix 716GE-I R2

Router (Wi-Fi) part is the Zxcel C1100

I called the ISP / Century Link and told them what I was doing (replacing the "Router").   They told me with current configruation that they can see it should be plug and play.  They said the "modem" was set with IpoE / DHCP.  I woul dnot need any PPPoE or 201 Tagging set up.  So all should be stright foward with the configuration of the Netgear Orbi.  

I cannot say that I saw how the Calis ONT is configured, but this iwhat I was told.  So far ... 2 days no disconnect from the internet yet after a Factory Reset and reconfigure (after the v16 update)

Message 188 of 317
kelf
Tutor

I recently upgraded from Orbi  rbr50 (running Voxel firmware)  to  a set of Orbi rbr850 set,   I loaded V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 firmware and factory resetted, and wow what a disappointment.  First thing is the firmware is buggy.. my webex and google meet constantly disconnects (once every 10min,  and takes 30 seconds to recover),  and my laptop is wired directly to the router.

I did a ping -t www.yahoo.com to test, and saw these  request timeouts in the outputs very frequently:

Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=49
Reply from 74.6.143.26: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=49

I downloaded to 4.6.3.9 , factory resetted and same result.   Since I gave my RBR50 set to my sister,    I then used my super old Netgear R7000 with Asuswrt to be the rotuer, and set RBR850 as the AP, and loaded latest firmware again.  This time no more "Request timed out" after an hour of ping's.  There's definitely something wrong with the RBR850 firmware with the constant drops.

Other than the above,  I really dislike the lack of USB.  Now I can't connect my old USB printer via network (used to work with "Netgear USB control centre,   on RBR50 ) .   I also hate that they took away telnet and there's no way to enable easily.   I tried to run python script that someone developed but keep getting some require 4 byte message 😞 

Anyway, hope someone from Netgear Orbi team seems like message and upgrade the firmware to fix the drops,   and let people have telnet and customizations again.  We didn't pay all this $ for a worst product

Message 189 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 190 of 317
claudiut
Apprentice

Furrye38 how do you know NG is working on a fix? Are you an NG employee and therefore confirm this? If not, you better stop making statements like this to confuse people, unless you are on NG's payroll i which case it makes sense.
Message 191 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, not a employee. I'll post how I see fit. 

Thanks. 

Message 192 of 317
claudiut
Apprentice

LOL
That's great mate, you can say whatever, you don't even care you're hurting people!
Great job NG paying this kind of people to take care of your forums.
Message 193 of 317

And funny enough always makes sure to have the last words in every threat at all time - spending all his spare time, unpaid? No integrity at all. 

Message 194 of 317
izme
Star

I don't care much if you're paid or not. Kudo's for taking this much sh*t, it's hard to imagine you do and keep doing that for free 🙂 Netgear however deserves all the rant, so by all means, pass it on.

Fwiw, I tried this new version, but it did not resolve my issues. Still experiencing temporary outages on my (wifi connected) server 

Message 195 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Only on your wifi connected server device or all wifi devices? 

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after trying that FW version? What I did with mine last saturday after loading. 

No using Armor or SPC. Manual channel 1 and 40

CTS is default 64. Though you can try 2347. 

I set power on the RBR to 50% as it's close to my NEST controller. 

RBS are ethernet connected and they are using v4.6.3.16 FW. No FW update yest for them. 

Been a couple of days. No issues as of yet. 

@izme wrote:

I don't care much if you're paid or not. Kudo's for taking this much sh*t, it's hard to imagine you do and keep doing that for free 🙂 Netgear however deserves all the rant, so by all means, pass it on.

Fwiw, I tried this new version, but it did not resolve my issues. Still experiencing temporary outages on my (wifi connected) server 

Message 196 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Only on your wifi connected server device or all wifi devices? 

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after trying that FW version? What I did with mine last saturday after loading. 

No using Armor or SPC. Manual channel 1 and 40

CTS is default 64. Though you can try 2347. 

I set power on the RBR to 50% as it's close to my NEST controller. 

RBS are ethernet connected and they are using v4.6.3.16 FW. No FW update yest for them. 

I did the factory reset after loading the new version. I think the outages is on all my devices, but on the server I notice it clearly trhough some logs. I have armor and SPC off. The RBS will not get themselves updated. I have not tried the manual channels yet, will give that a try

Message 197 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model wifi adapter is on this server? 

What do the logs say on the server? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

@izme wrote:

I did the factory reset after loading the new version. I think the outages is on all my devices, but on the server I notice it clearly trhough some logs. I have armor and SPC off. The RBS will not get themselves updated. I have not tried the manual channels yet, will give that a try

Message 198 of 317
izme
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

>> hmm good question, it's a Mac Mini M1 

>> some self developed software that uses websockets and logs the outages, but I also see the wifi connection just completely dropping

>> 3 floors of +/- 200 sqr ft, wooden floors

>> I have been playing with that a little, but ended up with wired connections, 1 sat at 14 ft and the other sat at 340 ft

Message 199 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@izme wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

>> hmm good question, it's a Mac Mini M1 (Hmmm.)

>> some self developed software that uses websockets and logs the outages, but I also see the wifi connection just completely dropping

>> 3 floors of +/- 200 sqr ft, wooden floors

>> I have been playing with that a little, but ended up with wired connections, 1 sat at 14 ft (Too Close. Try 30 feet or turn this RBS OFF.) and the other sat at 340 ft (I presume this is 34 or 40 feet?)

Message 200 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7