Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

izme
Star

I@sanvara wrote:

I've been using the .16 firmware for a couple months and not a single issue or disconnect with gig fiber connection. I wonder why some people have disconnects and others do not. I did a factory reset before upgrading.

I'm using the V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 for like a week now and I do think am running more stable, I see much less, maybe no outages at all anymore. Some extra things I did that might make a difference:

• Turn sattelite off that was within 30 ft (and wired), now running on 1 router and 1 sattelite (how big are your houses, really :-o)
  • Sattelite is wired to the router
  • Router hard reset after the update
  • Satellites hard reset (long time ago when the upgrade to .16 first occured) - they are now still at .16
Message 226 of 317
RafS
Apprentice

I wonder if that's the solution, to reset BEFORE doing the upgrade.  I had issues with the last two firmwares and finally had enough and exchanged my Orbi for a new one at Best Buy since I had a protection plan on it which was about to expire.  Before I set anything up, I upgraded the satellite to 4.6.3.16, then the router, and then I finally set everything back up from scratch and everything has been running smooth for the last 6 days.  The Orbis are in the same exact spots they were in originally and working like they were when I first got them back in Jan. 2020.  The final straw for me was the backhaul kept failing and saying it was out of sync and like I said, the position of the satellite hasn't changed for close to 2 years. Hopefully everything stays stable like it has been but I won't be jumping on firmware updates like I normally do and wait to see how they effect others before taking the plunge this time and will reset the Orbi before doing any upgrades, even though it takes a little longer. 

Message 227 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I decided to give the 4.6.5.14 firmware a shot this weekend. I started with a full reset, flashed the new firmware and then a full reset again. I then manually configured the system, rebooted, unplugged the base and satelite for 10min and then started the whole system one last time.

Everything worked fine for about a day, then the disconnects started happening again. This firmware is definitely not the fix we've been waiting for. Back to using my AIMesh system.

Message 228 of 317
elayton28
Apprentice

@RafS wrote:

I wonder if that's the solution, to reset BEFORE doing the upgrade.  I had issues with the last two firmwares and finally had enough and exchanged my Orbi for a new one at Best Buy since I had a protection plan on it which was about to expire.  Before I set anything up, I upgraded the satellite to 4.6.3.16, then the router, and then I finally set everything back up from scratch and everything has been running smooth for the last 6 days.  The Orbis are in the same exact spots they were in originally and working like they were when I first got them back in Jan. 2020.  The final straw for me was the backhaul kept failing and saying it was out of sync and like I said, the position of the satellite hasn't changed for close to 2 years. Hopefully everything stays stable like it has been but I won't be jumping on firmware updates like I normally do and wait to see how they effect others before taking the plunge this time and will reset the Orbi before doing any upgrades, even though it takes a little longer. 

How is this possible when NG auto updates the FW when they see fit?  How would I know to reset BEFORE they force a new FW on me?

Message 229 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the newer v4.5 version. 

It's only for the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS. 
I recommend a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Use same SSID name and PW as used before. Set up the RBR first, then I was able to turn on one RBS at a time and let them wirelessly sync. They synced with out having to press any buttons. If your don't you can of course thry the sync button process. I'd get both synced fully and make sure they report GOOD status. Then turn OFF and place in remote locations. 

Mines been online for 10 days straight:

Basic Information
Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4

seal: v2.0.25-0

CPU Load: 9.74%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 327 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 10 days 01:14:32

@xory72 wrote:

NG needs to come up with damn fix already!  We all spend decent moeny for the Orbi .. and we get this crap!  Netgear ... Man up and response to us with some clarity.  Or do you justnot care?   If V4.6.5.14 does not fix my drop outs ... I will have to start searching for another router and sell the Orbi and let it be somoene elses problem.

Message 230 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm having good stable operation with v4.6.5.14:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

RBS turned OFF prior to updating the RBR. RBR factory reset and setup from scratch after updating to v14.After the RBR was setup, CTS left at default 64, Transmit power set to 50%, manual channel 1 and 40. No Armor. Traffic Meter enabled and No Limit. Time Zone set and DTS enabled. Turned ON the RBS 1 at time and let them sync fully. Then placed back in remote locations. RBS are connected via ethernet backhaul. 

Been online and stable for the past 10 days.

@RafS wrote:

Message 231 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Based on my last reboot/ FW install experience I am beginning to wonder if the issues are driven by the satellites and not the RBR.  Additionally, I wonder if the number of satellites is driving issues for some users and not others or if wired vs. wireless satellites are driving issues.

I have three satellites, two are wired and one is wireless.  I noticed my RBR started working after factory resetting all of my satellites.  It continued to work without issue for over an hour before I was able to get around to loading the new FW.  I did not factory reset the RBR before installing the latest FW version, but I did reboot it before and after the FW install and have had no issues since.  Fingers crossed.

Message 232 of 317
KMDonlon
Luminary

Where are folks getting a hold of this firmware version v4.6.5.14?
Message 233 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

@KMDonlon wrote:
Where are folks getting a hold of this firmware version v4.6.5.14?

This link was in a post on page 9 IIRC.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBK852-4-6-3-16-broken-Solved/m-p/2174967/highlight/true#...

Message 234 of 317
KMDonlon
Luminary

Ah thank you. Missed it buried that far back.

Only the RBR for now it looks like....
Message 235 of 317
skeelo
Luminary

Yep. Assume they’ll push the RBS FW when ready. Works with v4.3.6.16 FW in the satellites now.
Message 236 of 317
ChrisBoer
Guide

I have received this from Netgear customer desk and it works fine for me for over 2 weeks now.

You can download it here.

RBS850-V4.6.6.11-signed.zip 

You don't have to reset your router either and this also has the sattelite firmware upgrade in it.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 237 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

I did do a factory reset on my RBR and setup from scratch. I had previously done a reset on the RBS however I didn't this time as I presumed since the RBS was not updated, they would be ok. I just let them wirelessly sync on there own after the RBR was fully setup. 

I don't have mixed connected RBS, there both ethernet connected currently. 

@skeelo wrote:

Based on my last reboot/ FW install experience I am beginning to wonder if the issues are driven by the satellites and not the RBR.  Additionally, I wonder if the number of satellites is driving issues for some users and not others or if wired vs. wireless satellites are driving issues.

I have three satellites, two are wired and one is wireless.  I noticed my RBR started working after factory resetting all of my satellites.  It continued to work without issue for over an hour before I was able to get around to loading the new FW.  I did not factory reset the RBR before installing the latest FW version, but I did reboot it before and after the FW install and have had no issues since.  Fingers crossed.

Message 238 of 317
Lele855
Guide

Hi guys, 

I'm new in the community (Happy Holidays to everyone!) and I decidedo to drop down a message because also my rbr850/rbs850 faced several problems during the last month. especially connection freeze issues. I had a look to the posts in this thread but, sorry, are a lot and i don't know if there are yet a workaround solution or if I have to change some option in my router..

my router now is directly connected LAN-WAN at the modem of my provider (vodafone-Italy, fiber FTTH), router mode not AP mode (in order to use all the features) by creating another area network avoiding nat problems (192.168.x / 192.168.y). the router is the only devide connected to the modem with a static IP and is also in DMZ (without this some of devices connected doesn't works).

as anticipated above since october/november i faced a lot of internet freezing many many times a day and during this period i reset to factory 3 times (the last on 27/12) but the problem is still here. 

can someone be so kind to show me how i can resolve the issue or the message in the thread that i have to read?

thanks a lot

Samuele

Message 239 of 317
dkelling
Aspirant

RBK852 - I am still dealing with router dropping connection. All hardwired devices go down. This has been a big issue over the last year and tech support has done nothing to fix it. Purchased new RBK852 as other was over 1.5 yrs old (out of warranty) and was very unstable. Installed new Router and worked fine for a few days and then drops connection several times a day. I am not happy having to spend $$$$ and have constant disconnects. Seriously considering send this back and going with a nother mfr. System was rock solid until a certain FW and nothing but problems ever since 

Message 240 of 317
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I had to go back to the Orbi, as an accident caused my main Asus router to get damaged. I was still on the 4.6.5.14 firmware when I reinstalled it and it was absolutely no better than the official release. It may have even been worse, as I'm was also having problems affecting my wired devices.

Randomly, one of the ports on the Orbi will start to only negotiate at 100Mbps, instead of 1Gbps. When this happens, the only solution is to unplug the router for at least a minute. Less than a minute and the problem will still be there the moment you power it back on. Simply resetting the router doesn't make any difference. On top of this, i'm was still getting wifi disconnects on various devices, with iPhones being the worst.

I went back to 3.2.18.223 and it was working flawlessly .... until it auto upgraded less than 2 days later. While it was running, there wasn't a single wifi drop on any device.

I'm staying on the official v4 firmware for now, as it at least doesn't have the ethernet problems. Now I need to decide if I'm going to keep waiting for a firmware that actually works or go and buy a new Asus router to replace the broken one.

Message 241 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-4...

Others have reporting having many odd issues with the current released version of FW. You can try this and see if this helps any:

It's only for the RBR. I have it loaded on mine currently and not seeing any problems since I loaded in 10 days ago. 

Someone posted this as well for both RBR and RBS. I have not had a chance to load and try it out yet:

@dkelling wrote:

RBK852 - I am still dealing with router dropping connection. All hardwired devices go down. This has been a big issue over the last year and tech support has done nothing to fix it. Purchased new RBK852 as other was over 1.5 yrs old (out of warranty) and was very unstable. Installed new Router and worked fine for a few days and then drops connection several times a day. I am not happy having to spend $$$$ and have constant disconnects. Seriously considering send this back and going with a nother mfr. System was rock solid until a certain FW and nothing but problems ever since 

Message 242 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

You may need to factory reset the system and power the system OFF as well. 

Others have reporting having many odd issues with the current released version of FW. You can try this and see if this helps any:

It's only for the RBR. I have it loaded on mine currently and not seeing any problems since I loaded in 10 days ago. 

Someone posted this as well for both RBR and RBS. I have not had a chance to load and try it out yet:

@Lele855 wrote:

Hi guys, 

I'm new in the community (Happy Holidays to everyone!) and I decidedo to drop down a message because also my rbr850/rbs850 faced several problems during the last month. especially connection freeze issues. I had a look to the posts in this thread but, sorry, are a lot and i don't know if there are yet a workaround solution or if I have to change some option in my router..

my router now is directly connected LAN-WAN at the modem of my provider (vodafone-Italy, fiber FTTH), router mode not AP mode (in order to use all the features) by creating another area network avoiding nat problems (192.168.x / 192.168.y). the router is the only devide connected to the modem with a static IP and is also in DMZ (without this some of devices connected doesn't works).

as anticipated above since october/november i faced a lot of internet freezing many many times a day and during this period i reset to factory 3 times (the last on 27/12) but the problem is still here. 

can someone be so kind to show me how i can resolve the issue or the message in the thread that i have to read?

thanks a lot

Samuele

Message 243 of 317
xory72
Star

Well as of 9:29 PM last night, Wednesday December 29th, I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1. on the RBR and RBS.   After 5 days of being disconnected (4 hours after I left the house for 5 days) I have to try something to see if NG fixed it.   If this FW version tanks .... I will be shopping for another mesh system and this Orbi will be selling on eBay.  Crossing my fingers that this may fix the issue ... time will tell.  I will keep you all posted.
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please try the newer v4.5 version. 

It's only for the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS. 
I recommend a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Use same SSID name and PW as used before. Set up the RBR first, then I was able to turn on one RBS at a time and let them wirelessly sync. They synced with out having to press any buttons. If your don't you can of course thry the sync button process. I'd get both synced fully and make sure they report GOOD status. Then turn OFF and place in remote locations. 

Mines been online for 10 days straight:

Basic Information
Firmware Version: V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4

seal: v2.0.25-0

CPU Load: 9.74%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 327 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 10 days 01:14:32

Message 244 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you reset and setup from scratch after loading FW or just power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON and observe the system. 

@xory72 wrote:

Well as of 9:29 PM last night, Wednesday December 29th, I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1. on the RBR and RBS.   After 5 days of being disconnected (4 hours after I left the house for 5 days) I have to try something to see if NG fixed it.   If this FW version tanks .... I will be shopping for another mesh system and this Orbi will be selling on eBay.  Crossing my fingers that this may fix the issue ... time will tell.  I will keep you all posted.

Message 245 of 317
FarmerBob1
Luminary

@Yashur21 wrote:

@ChrisBoer wrote:

I have received this from Netgear customer desk and it works fine for me for over 2 weeks now.

You can download it here.

RBS850-V4.6.6.11-signed.zip 

You don't have to reset your router either and this also has the sattelite firmware upgrade in it.

Thank you.  One must wonder why the super users insist on resetting the router?

That's the difference in a "Dirty Install" and a "Clean Install". The RBR/RBS are running while you update them and some parts of the old software that may need to be replaced, can't. Resetting allows the update process to complete. Just throwing FW at the RBKs is not an install.

Many problems are from "incomplete" FW updates that an after the fact reset many not fix.

There was a time when we had to do 30-30-30 Resets. That's holding in the Reset Button for 90 seconds, while Power On for 30, Power Off for 30, Power On for 30, release the reset button and let device completely start up. @FURRYe38 found out that just leaving the gear off for a short period of time helped with installs that went awry. There are too many variables in this basically violent process. Personally I start off with a "Factory Reset" then load the new FW. When done do a "Pin-Hole Reset" and let the RBR fully come up.

If the FW was a load and leave install, it would probably cause the RBR to reboot as part of its process. My TVs, AppleTV4K, Firestick 4K MAX, Tablets, Computers, Phones all restart themselves, some multiple times during the process. Some even saying that they will be doing that just to let you know. Too bad the RBK FW isn't that sophisticated.

Message 246 of 317
Lele855
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

ok thanks I'm trying to update manually the firmware you've metioned. hope that will help..

@FarmerBob1 

sorry but i don't understand your post relating the clean/dirty reset. You're suggesting to do the 30-30-30 reset before updating new FW? or what else?

thanks a lot

Message 247 of 317
izme
Star

I installed V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 and did a port scan, to find that my ports 80, 443 and 53 are open.

Further checking the router, at the page "Web Services Management", it appears the checkbox for disabling this service is missing, so the router is accessible from outside!

How do we know this version can be trusted?

Message 248 of 317
Zultan
Star

So which is the newer and more importantly the most stable version of new RBR firmware?

V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 would appear to be by the numbering schema?

But I see posts that elude to the fact that V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 for the RBR only is the latest version.

Thanks - Just want to be sure before I go through the process of manually upgrading.

Thanks in advance

Message 249 of 317
Lele855
Guide

Update: installed new firmare manually V4.6.6.11_2.1.4T1 for RBR and RBS but since this morning a system freeze appears 3 times.. guys it’s a mess!! Please netgear resolve the issue because this peace of plastic costs a lot of money!!
Message 250 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7