Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.3.16 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Next time you might go directly to the IP address of the RBS and log in there. What I did. Though it shouldn't matter. 

What kind of "minor outages" are you seeing? Wired and wireless? Whats happening here? 

@izme wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you power cycle the RBR and RBS after the newer FW was applied or did you try a full on factory reset and setup from scratch? 

> If I remember correct I did a full factory reset before and after the upgrade leaving the RBR and RBS for >2 min off. 

How did you perform the FW update? Thru the RBRs web page or thru the RBSs direct web page? 

> I first did the RBS. I don't think it should matter if I went through RBR or RBS, they both open the same page on RBS, the difference being that the RBR is logged-in and maybe aware of RBS being upgraded. I think I went through the logon via RBR.

The last downgrade didn't work too well for me, I could only access the access point from the (still upgraded) RBS, the RBR was not ok. So I went back to RBR again at v4.7.6.5. Still seeing some minor outages that I think shouldn't be there (looking at an server-app that is constantly online). Wat is a proper way to measure it in your opinion, is there a tool of some sorts or can we check on the RBR?

Message 301 of 317
Rads
Tutor

@skeelo wrote:

Got bit again...

Running V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 on my RBR which has worked fine for a few weeks until tonight.  I think I have narrowed down the issue to satellite connectivity - as soon as I unplug the three satellites and reboot the RBR all runs without a hiccup.  I am guessing the wireless satellite is going out of sync (the other two are wired), so I am going to leave that unplugged for now to see what happens.

Rather than compounding the connectivity issues with additional FW updates that are not working I wish Netgear would allow users to roll back firmware and opt out of updates, as is the case with the Nighthawk R7000 at my cabin.  I have had more issues in the last 2-3 months with this system compared to the first 2 years of ownership.  Unbelievable.

I have been a Netgear customer really forever and after this I am fairly certain I will not buy another Netgear product.

Well, I bailed and replaced my RBK852.  Shocker, I haven't had a single issue with the new mesh system for more than 10 days - which I never had with my RBK852 once they rolled out their broken firmware.  The latest version of the firmware has actually made things worse and my satellite would not sync with the router no matter what I tried,  After several factory resets of both units and reflashing the units, I rolled back to an earlier version and the satellite was able to sync.  I am simply mystified why Netgear hasn't acknowledged what is going on and provided owners with an explanation of the steps they are taking to resolve the issue.  I started wondering if this weirdness only impacts a range of serial numbers since not all units are similarly impacted.  There are definitely enough complaints of similar behavior to lend credance to a hardware problem that Netgear is trying to work around.

I got tired of my family endlessly bitching about the WiFi disconnections.  Me trying to work from home and having conference calls constantly disconnected.  Enough was enough, following months of frustration, I replaced the system after being a happy Netgear Orbi user for many years, starting with the RBK52.  It is a real shame to see a premium product like the RBK852 be so poorly managed and supported.

Much thanks to all those that tried to assist from Netgear (@ChristineT) and the community but I will not be back until I observe a significant change in Netgear's behavior from allowing users to turn off automatic updates, to their lack of transparency about what is going on with these systems.

Message 302 of 317
CrimpOn
Guru

What were the primary factors that led you to choose the replacement system?

• Cost?
  • Availability?
  • Reviews?
  • Manufacturer?
  • Specific Features?

Care to share what the replacement system is?

Message 303 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Possilble there could be a HW failure as well. If you tried everyhing, I'd guess the HW condition would be a factor as well. Not everyone is having problems with recent FW betas. 

Message 304 of 317
Rads
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

What were the primary factors that led you to choose the replacement system?

• Cost?
  • Availability?
  • Reviews?
  • Manufacturer?
  • Specific Features?

Care to share what the replacement system is?

- Well, since I had a RBK852 cost clearly doesn't motivate me much.  I just want something that works reliably.

- Availability was a factor since I needed it quickly because I was tired of being beaten up by family and co-workers.

- Reviews were definitely a contributing factor to helping me make a decision.

- I was only considering a few manufacturers - Linksys Velop, Asus XT8, Eero Pro 6

- Onboard ethernet ports (at least 2), tri-band

I ended up with a Linksys Velop AX4200 (3-node).  I am not a big fan of the Linksys management app or web interfacce but it does the job.  I have a few complaints but overall they are minor. The system has been bulletproof since day 1.

Message 305 of 317
Rads
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possilble there could be a HW failure as well. If you tried everyhing, I'd guess the HW condition would be a factor as well. Not everyone is having problems with recent FW betas. 

That is my point.  Netgear isn't being transparent about this issue and it could very well be limited to a serial number range since it isn't occurring with all units.  I guess we will never know.  The issues I was having with the newer firmware version(s) was resolved once I rolled back to a 3.9 version of the firmware but we all know that was a short-term fix until the system auto updated again.

I simply don't have the time, the faith in NG, or the patience to continue to mess/live with this unreliability.

Regardless, I am over it and have moved on.

Message 306 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I see you never gave a fatory reset a try nor didn't give v4.6.7.5 version of FW a try either so there is still doubt on your system weather it would be FW or HW. However you have moved on.

So Good Luck.

Message 307 of 317
Rads
Tutor

You have neither have any idea what I did nor do you seem to fully read before posting.

Yes, I tried a factory reset (see my earlier post today) several in fact. Yes, I tried several firmware versions 4.6.6.11 (sent to me be NG) and 4.6.7.5 (from a thread in the community).

Good luck

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Well I see you never gave a fatory reset a try nor didn't give v4.6.7.5 version of FW a try either so there is still doubt on your system weather it would be FW or HW. However you have moved on.

So Good Luck.

Message 308 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 309 of 317
Rickp703
Aspirant

Hi All - I rarely post to the boards, but can use some help with my RBR850 & (3) RBS850 Satelites.

I've recently moved and use Frontier Fiber 1.0 GBS into the RBR850.  Over the last week I have had several internet outages (and there has been no loss of service as I have contacted Frontier on every occasion) and Satelites dropping off for hours on end.  

I am currently on Firmware V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and by reading these boards believe that this FW version stinks.  Don't know when I received this version (everything was great for quite some time), but I am seeking some advice on more stable versions to manually move up to.

Hopefully you all can assist by sharing a solid FW version (approved or BETA) that will help me restore a more solid connection experience.  I work from home and have to game playing kids & all TV's stream (vs. cable) - so we need the stability that Orbi has provided in the past.

@FURRYe38 (you seem to be the resident expert) 

Thanks in advance for your information.

Message 310 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give this version a try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

Review the post information regarding upgrading steps. 

Please give feedback and experienced in that thread.

Thank you. 

@Rickp703 wrote:

Hi All - I rarely post to the boards, but can use some help with my RBR850 & (3) RBS850 Satelites.

I've recently moved and use Frontier Fiber 1.0 GBS into the RBR850.  Over the last week I have had several internet outages (and there has been no loss of service as I have contacted Frontier on every occasion) and Satelites dropping off for hours on end.  

I am currently on Firmware V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and by reading these boards believe that this FW version stinks.  Don't know when I received this version (everything was great for quite some time), but I am seeking some advice on more stable versions to manually move up to.

Hopefully you all can assist by sharing a solid FW version (approved or BETA) that will help me restore a more solid connection experience.  I work from home and have to game playing kids & all TV's stream (vs. cable) - so we need the stability that Orbi has provided in the past.

@FURRYe38 (you seem to be the resident expert) 

Thanks in advance for your information.

Message 311 of 317
bariball
Aspirant

Hello, there is no V4.6.6.11 version in the given location: https://www.globalm.nl/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/RBR850-RBS850-V4.6.6.11-signed.zip
can I have this version (V4.6.6.11) available again?

I installed the version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 but it does not solve my problems with connecting devices, constant error in downloading the ip address, or if a device is already connected, it does not get internet anyway .. 😞 although on previously connected devices internet occurs ...

Message 312 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices do you have connected? 

Did you factory reset the RBR and RBS after v5 FW was applied to the system? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@bariball wrote:

I installed the version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 but it does not solve my problems with connecting devices, constant error in downloading the ip address, or if a device is already connected, it does not get internet anyway .. 😞 although on previously connected devices internet occurs ...

Message 313 of 317
bariball
Aspirant

Connected to the network are: mobile devices, laptops, switches, air conditioners, lighting controlled via wifi, etc., about 50 devices in total
S / N 65N7077GA04A9, house area about 200m, satellite 1 connected via ethernet,

factory reset 5 times after updating V4.6.7.5_2.1.7 according to comments on this forum ... I tested different channels, I currently have channels 11 and 40 set.

This problem does not occur if you set a static ip address on the device, but this is not a solution .. I also wanted to add that there are no problems on the guest network ... the problem happened after installing version 4.6.3.16.
Therefore, I am looking to download version 4.6.6.11, unless there are other options to solve the problem with connecting to the router, getting the IP address correctly, etc ...

Message 314 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

v11 is no longer available nor supported. 

Please do not post MAC addresses or product serial numbers in public forums for security reasons. 

Are any of the devices having problems Apple devices? If so, disable WiFI Private Address features on these devices. 

Also try disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz. CTS set to 500 or 2347 and set all devices to have Reserved IP addresses on the RBR. 

Message 315 of 317
bariball
Aspirant

The service provider's modem is ZTE F412 EPON and Orbi is connected to it.

The distance is about 30-40 feet on a Cat 6 cable (the distance has always been the same from the beginning) - one-story house porotherm ceramic block

There are about 4-5 other wifi nearby, but they do not have the same range as orbi and I get a very weak signal at home

Why version 11 is no longer supported, the forum praised this version a lot, but maybe it is possible to make it available, or is another version planned?

I do not have Apple devices, so I do not know if there are problems with them, mainly android, microsoft, etc.

I also have a question where can I find the device status, how much work, what memory is used, CPU load, there are screenshots on the forum and I only display: hardware, firmwawer version, gui language, etc .. no other information ..

When it comes to ip address reservations, I have reservations made only for devices where I want to know their ip address from my head and not look for them (there are about 25-30 of them in total).

Is parental control planned on orbi routers?

Can you recommend any hardware firewall to install in front of the orbi router? I do not know why but I have the impression that problems with obtaining ip addressing also appear with the armor protection enabled, which I have bought ...

Message 316 of 317
FURRYe38
Guru

@bariball wrote:

The service provider's modem is ZTE F412 EPON and Orbi is connected to it.

The distance is about 30-40 feet on a Cat 6 cable (the distance has always been the same from the beginning) - one-story house porotherm ceramic block

There are about 4-5 other wifi nearby, but they do not have the same range as orbi and I get a very weak signal at home

Why version 11 is no longer supported, the forum praised this version a lot, but maybe it is possible to make it available, or is another version planned? There will be always future FW. We just don't know when it arrives. 

I do not have Apple devices, so I do not know if there are problems with them, mainly android, microsoft, etc.

I also have a question where can I find the device status, how much work, what memory is used, CPU load, there are screenshots on the forum and I only display: hardware, firmwawer version, gui language, etc .. no other information. Try routerIPAddress/debug.htm

When it comes to ip address reservations, I have reservations made only for devices where I want to know their ip address from my head and not look for them (there are about 25-30 of them in total). And do these reservations work for the devices that connect? 

Is parental control planned on orbi routers? Parental controls arrived last year early in v4 FW. 

Can you recommend any hardware firewall to install in front of the orbi router? I do not know why but I have the impression that problems with obtaining ip addressing also appear with the armor protection enabled, which I have bought ...OH. Ok, so I would do this, Disable Armor on the Orbi app and apply. Then factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch. Then lets see if you still have IP address problems with your devices. Seen problems before with Armor and it maybe the cause here. So lets try this as see. 

Message 317 of 317
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7