Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

New Features: 04/27/2022

• Supports Smart Parental Control (SPC)
  • Removes the remote management feature from the router web interface (if disabled at time of update) to improve router security. 
  • DHCP Option 60&61 support for ISP internet & IPTV connectivity

Enhancements:

• Singapore password requirement enhancement 

Security Fixes:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes Armor activation issue 
  • Fixes SPC activation issue 
  • Fixes DNS timeout issue 
  • Fixes the issue where a phantom satellite appears in device list
  • Fixes the issue where satellite LED ring will randomly light solid blue
  • Fixes orbilogin.net access issue when DoH (DNS over HTTPS) is enabled
  • Various other bug fixes 

Download Link:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBR850-V4.6.8.2.zip
https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBS850-V4.6.8.2.zip

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTICE: All users are advised to not downgrade FW on Orbi systems to older versions of FW. Downgrading FW may cause problems on the system and or cause units to no longer function. If you experience a problems after FW updating your Orbi system, please post in this thread or create a new post and give details to what your experiencing and we'll help you troubleshoot the problem. 

Let us know how it works for you in this thread please.

Message 2 of 60
Tony1952
Initiate

Re: RBR850 V4.6.8.2

My RBR850 and 2 of my 3 RBS850 Satellites displayed that they were auto updated to V4.6.8.2. One of my RBS850 Satellites was offline and needed to be rebooted this morning. Once it was back online, I checked the firmware and pressed update and the Router, and 3 Satellites all displayed No New Firmware Available. However, the RBR850 and two Satellites display V4.6.8.2 and one Satellite displays V4.6.7.13 and will not update to V4.6.8.2. I chatted online this morning with Netgear Support, and they are escalating my inquiry as the only firmware currently available for download on their site is V4.6.7.13. Stay tuned....

Firmware Version
V4.6.8.2_2.1.9

Message 1 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you access the one RBS web page and manually send the RBS FW file there? 

@Tony1952 wrote:

My RBR850 and 2 of my 3 RBS850 Satellites displayed that they were auto updated to V4.6.8.2. One of my RBS850 Satellites was offline and needed to be rebooted this morning. Once it was back online, I checked the firmware and pressed update and the Router, and 3 Satellites all displayed No New Firmware Available. However, the RBR850 and two Satellites display V4.6.8.2 and one Satellite displays V4.6.7.13 and will not update to V4.6.8.2. I chatted online this morning with Netgear Support, and they are escalating my inquiry as the only firmware currently available for download on their site is V4.6.7.13. Stay tuned....

Firmware Version
V4.6.8.2_2.1.9

Message 3 of 60
Tony1952
Initiate

After manually downloading the V4.6.8.2 update for the RBS850 using the link that appeared this afternoon, I was able to successfully update my Satellite that had failed to auto update. 

Message 4 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

@Tony1952 wrote:

After manually downloading the V4.6.8.2 update for the RBS850 using the link that appeared this afternoon, I was able to successfully update my Satellite that had failed to auto update. 

Message 5 of 60
AUserGuy
Aspirant

My update experience, in case it helps anyone...

Yesterday I was on 4.6.3.16.  Checking for firmware updates in either the app or the web UI said there were no updates, even though I had received an email from Netgear telling me there was a new release.  I also checked the support pages and could see there was for sure a new release.  So I downloaded the files for 4.6.7.13 yesterday from the Netgear site, and manually applied it to 2 satellites and the router today.  Cool.  After they all rebooted, loaded the main router web UI again, and this time it tells me there's a new firmware update.  Wait, they released a new one overnight?  Oh, yes, they really did.  What luck!

This time, it did detect the update, and gave me the "update all" button in the UI.  I hit it.  I could see all devices rebooted based on their LEDs.  The UI sure made it look like it was updating everything.  But the firmware only actually applied itself to the router, not either of the satellites.  I downloaded the 4.6.8.2 satellite firmware from the Netgear site, browsed to the web UI of each satellite and updated the firmware that way, and all is up-to-date now.  Not as slick as it should have been, but not too hard to deal with.

Message 6 of 60
Dd852
Luminary

Router and two satellites auto updated overnight and everything seems to work. I can’t help feeling nervous that auto updates are back, but I’m happy it went so smoothly.

Message 7 of 60
Validus
Luminary

Did this auto-update on the Router and Satellites? Mine seems to already be on this version 4.6.8.2.

Message 8 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@Dd852 wrote:

Router and two satellites auto updated overnight and everything seems to work. I can’t help feeling nervous that auto updates are back, but I’m happy it went so smoothly.

Message 9 of 60
rculpepper
Guide

Finally updated firmware on satellites and router to 4.6.8.2, waited for it to finish loading before reboot. Wifi and ethernet came back and internet connectivity was good, but management interface/page never came back up. I gave it like 10 minutes and then did a power cycle (as advised in OP). Wifi, ethernet, internet working... but still no management interface/page.

Hit the router with NMAP and the only ports listening are 53 (DNS) and 5000 (UPnP).

Guessing I need to factory reset and see if that brings it back? 😞

Message 10 of 60
rculpepper
Guide

Yup. Factory reset brought it back, restoring backup settings was simple. Everything seems to be working now - will report back if there are more oddities.

Message 11 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I'm going to recommend that a factory reset be performed and setup from scratch after loading this version of FW if users are seeing problems after its' loaded. 

Glad you got it working.

@rculpepper wrote:

Yup. Factory reset brought it back, restoring backup settings was simple. Everything seems to be working now - will report back if there are more oddities.

Message 12 of 60
51Alan
Guide

Auto update worked fine on RBR850 and three RBS850s.  No apparent issues.

Message 13 of 60
WYH
Initiate
Initiate

Auto update works fine on the RBR850 and two RBS850s. There are no obvious problems. RBS850 debug shows RBS750.

WYH_0-1651194757822.png

Message 14 of 60
tjtrimble
Luminary

Channel Mismatch.jpgAnyone else seeing their router and satellites on different channels on the 2.4ghz band on this version of the firmware?  I have my RBR set to channel 7 (least used channel in my environment), but my satellites are both on channel 1.  The 5ghz ban are all set properly on the chosen channel 44.  I have verified on the Wifi Analyzer app, what is displayed is accurate.   First time I have seen this issue.

Message 15 of 60
tjtrimble
Luminary

I rebooted the satellites (one I had to do twice) and now are both on my selected channel 7.    The only reason I noticed this issue is because my most distant outdoor ring security camera had a very weak connection.  I really wish NG would provide an option to disable automatic firmware updates.

Message 16 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@tjtrimble wrote:

I rebooted the satellites (one I had to do twice) and now are both on my selected channel 7.    The only reason I noticed this issue is because my most distant outdoor ring security camera had a very weak connection.  I really wish NG would provide an option to disable automatic firmware updates.

Message 17 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

So yesterday, checked my 8 series to see if it saw the new FW update. Was seen and was given notification about it on the RBRs web page. Instead of selecting manual update or Update ALL, I logged off and checked it this morning. All 3 units updated around 1am successfully. 

I'll check for channel issues today as I didn't have time this morning. Mine is manually set for 11 and 48. 

Message 18 of 60
tjtrimble
Luminary

@FURRYe38 No offense intended towards you as I understand you are trying to be helpful, but NG needs to understand I am really sick of doing resets on this product because of THEIR damn forced updates.  I thought for $1000 I was getting "the best consumer grade mesh wifi system" on the market.  I just checked again and my sats are back on Channel 1.  This product has had major issues for 50% of the time I have owned it.

Message 19 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

@tjtrimble No offence taken. I cringe every time I see new FW updates pushed and NG hasn't given some of us a chance to sanity check it. Trust me. We are trying to help NG understand what's going on here. 

There IS reasons why I put two FW update troubleshooting steps when I post new FW updates. All I can do to help those users who see problems afterwards. 

Message 20 of 60
KMDonlon
Luminary

This is still an issue with my RBS850? Figured this would have been resolved in this firmware version...
Message 21 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 🙄

Message 22 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

My 8 series updated last nite. I looked at the FW upate notification and all was detected. Both RBS were wireless connected an in moderate close distance from the RBR. I didn't select Update All. I left the system over night and checked it this morning and all was updated. No factory resets. Just a power OFF then back ON:

v4682FWUpdateNoficeRBR850.png

Ok so only just went online with my RBK853 connected to a CM2000 modem. 

Good wired speeds:

RBR850v4682over900MbpsSpeedResultsWiredCM2000Modem.png

Both RBS are ethernet connected and online. 

Manual channels 1 and 40. 50% transmit power. 40Mhz Only. 

Going to let the run all weekend. 

Message 23 of 60
Mo3lim
Aspirant

I recently updated my router to 4.6.8.2 which supposed to fix many bugs and issues as mentioned in the notes but seems like my proplem wasn't one of them despite I did factory reset and started settings from scratch as advised but still losing internet connection in both RBR & RBS this includes all devices which connected to Wifi or ethernet .

Hopfully NG will came up with instant solutions for long outstanding issues which most of useres are suffering from
Message 24 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this your ISP ONT? 

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/enterprise-transmission-access/access/ont/echolife-eg8040h5

What kind of LAN cable do you have connected between the RBR and this ONT? CAT6?

Does the front LED on the RBR850 turn on PINK when you notice no internet? 

Does the RBR recover internet on it's own after a period of time or do you have to intervien? 

@Mo3lim wrote:
I recently updated my router to 4.6.8.2 which supposed to fix many bugs and issues as mentioned in the notes but seems like my proplem wasn't one of them despite I did factory reset and started settings from scratch as advised but still losing internet connection in both RBR & RBS this includes all devices which connected to Wifi or ethernet .

Hopfully NG will came up with instant solutions for long outstanding issues which most of useres are suffering from

Message 25 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7