Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Yes if you manually update, you need to update the RBS first, recommend using the RBS web page to send down the RBS FW file. After it send, you can then update the RBR lastly using the RBRs web page and send the RBRs FW file there. All should come back to ready and reconnect. Once it's up and ready, I recommend a power OFF of the RBS and RBR for 1 minute, then back ON with the RBR first, then RBS lastly. 

@Hydechen wrote:

Hi, I have a RBR850 in Router mode connecting to two RBS850 satellites, all running on V4.6.3.16 firmware. I have been checking firmware update on web interface and mobile Orbi app from time to time but the results have always been No New Firmware Available.

I recently came to realize there is actually newer firmware V4.6.8.2 available, but after I performed manual update on my first RBS satellite, it has failed to sync/connect to the router.  I have tried several ways, including factory reset the satellite, sync via web interface / mobile app / sync button on RBR, unplug/reboot RBS & RBR, etc. None has brought the satellite back online and it always ended up with the purple/magenta light. When I performed the update and subsequent sync, the distance between RBR and the failed RBS is only a few feet.

Not sure how to fix this. Should I also manually update the remaining RBS and then RBR to V4.6.8.2?  I can't afford to lose another connection point though. Appreciate your advice!

Message 51 of 60
AUserGuy
Aspirant

@Hydechen That was my experience too.  I've had this thing for over a year now at least.  On the same version as you, 4.6.3.16, and the web UI and app kept telling me there were no new updates, even though I could see them on the download page.  Random guess was one bug in that version was it failed to check for newer versions. 🙄 Anyway, I wanted to proceed with caution, as I suspect you are doing, so did a manual update on only one satellite first - up to 4.6.7.13. Same as you experienced, it fell off the network.  I brought the satellite over to the room with the router, sat them close to each other, just in case that was it, but still it wouldn't connect.  I manually updated the other satellite to 4.6.7.13, and then it was lost off the network too.  So I decided nothing to do but take the plunge.  Manually updated the router, so all the devices would be on the same version, and it all came back together once that completed.  Nothing in the KB article on manual updating suggests you're eff'ed until you get all devices up to the same version, but that seemed to be the case for me.  It was terrifying, but it worked, and I had the safety net of knowing I still have my old Apple AirPorts in the closet in case I need to stand up a network quick.  Hope it works out for you.  

Message 52 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Even though NG has post this version for manual download, NG releases it seemingly in staggered groupings for the auto update services. So users may or may not see this being mentioned in the FW update services on the router. And given some historical and current experiences, auto update services seems too and can cause problems. 

I've also noticed that distances of the RBS from the RBR can be a factor in the RBR FW update services not getting or seeing updates for the RBS. I had 1 of my 850 series RBS at a distance and the RBR kept reporting no FW updates for it while my other RBS saw an update. I had to move the RBS near the RBR and let it sit over night. Came to check on it the next morning and ALL was auto updated correctly. So if you see that one RBS has a update and one doesn't, move the RBS near the RBR and then check again. I would recommend doing manual FW updates to the RBS first then the RBR lastly. 

Message 53 of 60
spewak
Luminary

I was auto updated yesterday and already had my sat. give me an "Out of sync" error on the RBR web interface.

Please tell me this isn't a thing with this new firmware!

Message 54 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF the RBR and RBS for 1 minute then back ON. 

@spewak wrote:

I was auto updated yesterday and already had my sat. give me an "Out of sync" error on the RBR web interface.

Please tell me this isn't a thing with this new firmware!

Message 55 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL USERS. Looks like NG has pulled this version of FW from there download site. 

I recommend that users hold on to what they have currently loaded at this time.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DOWNGRADE your system. 

I'll try and find out more information. Please be patient.

Locking this thread for now.

Message 56 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Re-opening this thread as the problem was not caused by this version of FW. 

Message 57 of 60
bullm00n
Luminary

Wow - it's only been since May I put the Orbi back up in AP mode on my xFi system.  Seems like longer.  Nevertheless, it has been a very calm month and a half.  I haven't had to think about routers or networks or any of that.  4.6.8.2 has been solid for me.

Message 58 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be interesting to know if this helps yours in router mode:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Enable-Email-Logging-and-Router-Rebo...

@bullm00n wrote:

Wow - it's only been since May I put the Orbi back up in AP mode on my xFi system.  Seems like longer.  Nevertheless, it has been a very calm month and a half.  I haven't had to think about routers or networks or any of that.  4.6.8.2 has been solid for me.

Message 59 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 60 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7