Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

FarmerBob1
Luminary

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.2 Released

The Nighthawk Series has the ability to "Turn Off Auto-UpDate". So it's in has been in the wild and will hopefully hit the Orbi Line very soon. 🤞

Message 26 of 60
CrimpOn
Guru

I see zero chance of Netgear adding that feature to the Orbi line.  Customers have been asking for this feature for nearly 6 years.

Message 27 of 60
tjtrimble
Luminary

After doing a reboot of the entire system and bringing it back up one by one, everything appears to be stable & working again as expected.  It seems like this system needs a couple of days to settle down to where all the devices connect to the closest node. 
@tjtrimble wrote:

Anyone else seeing their router and satellites on different channels on the 2.4ghz band on this version of the firmware?  I have my RBR set to channel 7 (least used channel in my environment), but my satellites are both on channel 1.  The 5ghz ban are all set properly on the chosen channel 44.  I have verified on the Wifi Analyzer app, what is displayed is accurate.   First time I have seen this issue.

Message 28 of 60
Mo3lim
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 

Yes my ONT is  Huawei EG8040H5 connected with CAT 7 cable 

router light up with solid Pink/magenta color for 10 seconds  when it loses the connection 

router able to bring back the connection after by its self without any interference from me 

its only 5 or 7 seconds but very irritating 

Message 29 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you know how often this is happening in a 24hour period? 

@Mo3lim wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 

Yes my ONT is  Huawei EG8040H5 connected with CAT 7 cable 

router light up with solid Pink/magenta color for 10 seconds  when it loses the connection 

router able to bring back the connection after by its self without any interference from me 

its only 5 or 7 seconds but very irritating 

Message 30 of 60
Mo3lim
Aspirant

It happened 10 to 15 times a day after last update
Before was 7 max
I stopped using Orbi as main router now I have 3 devices ONT > Router > Orbi router as internet extender only
No problem been noticed till now
Good to have stable connection over loosing all the RBR features till this issue resolved
Message 31 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

So this configuration you don't see issues:

ONT > Router > Orbi router

However in this configuration you do see problems?

ONT > Orbi router

@Mo3lim wrote:
It happened 10 to 15 times a day after last update
Before was 7 max
I stopped using Orbi as main router now I have 3 devices ONT > Router > Orbi router as internet extender only
No problem been noticed till now
Good to have stable connection over loosing all the RBR features till this issue resolved

Message 32 of 60
Mo3lim
Aspirant

Yes ... its been up for 16 hours right now
Message 33 of 60
gamenlegend
Guide

Is there an executable one can use to do the upgrade?  I'm unable to access the admin page via web or connect to my orbi via app (internet is working fine).  Not really of the mindset of wanting to reset my router and lose current configurations.

Message 34 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

No, its not recommended to downgrade FW. Can brick the system. 

Are you having problems? If so, give more details on what your having issues with and we'll try and help you out. 

@gamenlegend wrote:

Is there an executable one can use to do the upgrade?  I'm unable to access the admin page via web or connect to my orbi via app (internet is working fine).  Not really of the mindset of wanting to reset my router and lose current configurations.

Message 35 of 60
gamenlegend
Guide

I'm not looking to downgrade firmware but upgrade it in hopes that it fixes my issue.

Im unable to connect to the admin webpage for the router. It presents connection refused.
The orbi app also cannot connect to it.

Doing some reading, it looks like some either have had to do a factory reset or send it in for repair.

I'd like to avoid a factory reset as my configuration contained a lot of custom settings. If there's an executable one can run on windows or Mac to upload the firmware file, that would be nice.
Message 36 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Do not use the Orbi app. Use the manual FW update method mentioned at the head of this post thread. 

Review this for Apple devices and Orbi app:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

@gamenlegend wrote:
I'm not looking to downgrade firmware but upgrade it in hopes that it fixes my issue.

Im unable to connect to the admin webpage for the router. It presents connection refused.
The orbi app also cannot connect to it.

Doing some reading, it looks like some either have had to do a factory reset or send it in for repair.

I'd like to avoid a factory reset as my configuration contained a lot of custom settings. If there's an executable one can run on windows or Mac to upload the firmware file, that would be nice.

Message 37 of 60
gamenlegend
Guide

I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I'm unable to access the orbi login page via any device. Connection is refused and the page cannot be displayed.
Message 38 of 60
bullm00n
Luminary

Finally decided to add the RBR/S850 set back to my network because the Xfi wifi was not giving enough coverage with the single pod.  I turned off the xFi radio and setup the Orbi set in AP mode after updating the firmware and resetting it.  The satellite was dodgy about connecting using the app - always "not found", but I finally thought to press the sync buttons on both units, and it sync'd up immediately without the app.  That was the only drama so far - that and the App doesn't update connected devices very well or accurately, but that's always been an issue I think.

I'm still using xFi as a router - not sure there'd be an advantage with Orbi as the router over xFi - neither has that awesome of management interfaces.  The Orbi WIFI has better reach and is faster.

I will say that xFi has been reliable and trouble free for the several months I have been using it, but I have noticed the same sort of "page not found, refresh then it pops up" issues that I saw with Orbi way back that I thought must be the DNS issue. So either both xFi and Orbi routers had/have similar DNS issues or what I have been experiencing was never that and possibly some other Windows issue.

Message 39 of 60
gamenlegend
Guide

Thanks for the info. I too thought it might be DNS. My xfinity modem is in bridge mode. I've had the orbi for maybe a year now. I've never had this issue with them previously. I've always been able to access the router and satellites via their ip/orbi login page and the app. Switching to manual dns addresses on client devices didn't make any difference in being able to access the pages.

I've tried removing xfinity from bridged mode, as well as connecting just to the orbi router via ethernet (no modem connected). Both produce the same results. 4.6.3.16 is the last firmware the app shows the router being on. This could be different or higher but who knows since I can't connect to the router or satellite to view their settings.

It's sounding like I'm going to have to factory reset and recreate my configurations. I was hoping there was an alternative method to push this firmware and update the devices and possibly fix my issue.
Message 40 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned in the first post regarding this FW version, if problems are seen, a factory reset and setup from scratch mabye needed.

I let mine auto update over night. Came in the next morning and it was updated. Saw no problems loggin into the routers web page. I did do a full power OFF of the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back ON. Had not factory reset as of yet. 

@gamenlegend wrote:
I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I'm unable to access the orbi login page via any device. Connection is refused and the page cannot be displayed.

Message 41 of 60
DaLynch1
Aspirant

This is what happened to me. Each of these updates and factory resets brings a loss of functionality.

RIP Remote management.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the app actually had the full functionality of the web administration page, and it certainly would be nice if you weren’t forced to use an app on a phone.

For what these routers cost, one would think more attention would be paid to the software side, then again maybe it is because so much of what’s being taken away is being rolled into add on subscriptions
Message 42 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000062097/Remote-Management-is-now-Anywhere-Access-in-the-Nighthawk-and-Orbi-...

@DaLynch1 wrote:
This is what happened to me. Each of these updates and factory resets brings a loss of functionality.

RIP Remote management.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the app actually had the full functionality of the web administration page, and it certainly would be nice if you weren’t forced to use an app on a phone.

For what these routers cost, one would think more attention would be paid to the software side, then again maybe it is because so much of what’s being taken away is being rolled into add on subscriptions

Message 43 of 60
DaLynch1
Aspirant

Is it the default response of the SUPERUSER / Guru group to provide a kb link and up their post count versus actually communicating something that specifically addresses what they are replying to?

It had to have been pretty clear that I am aware that Access Anywhere exists, even without explicitly using the name, particularly as I lamented that firmware features continue to be reduced only to be replaced with subscription rgus. womp womp. Gotta have YoY profit growth and that's the model that everyone is moving to. 

And no Access Anywhere is not the same as Remote Management; one can only be used within a mobile application, the other could be used on any device. That is significantly different.

Message 44 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Were not here for post counts. Here to help were we can. Not employees either. 

I believe NG removed Remote Management, the web based version for security reasons. Something to ask NG support about if you need more information. 

Message 45 of 60
gamenlegend
Guide

Could be, dunno. Most of the responses I originally recieved kind of seemed like canned responses.

I've still yet to reset my router. Im able to reach the admin webpages for the satellites and they show the version in the title of this thread as being installed. I'm going to assume there was an automatic upgrade but it didn't go so well on the actual router.

Unless there's hope that it can still receive automatic firmware updates via a backend process by netgear, I'm going to be looking at documenting my dhcp setup and trying to find a document (I hopefully saved) that has all my configurations.

For the features that are moving to access anywhere, is that the same as insight cloud? Kinda wondering if I should just abandon Orbi and get some insight capable WAPs.
Message 46 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

One user I see posted that HTTPS may have played a roll. He changed to HTTP and got access, however I believe he did a FR and setup from scratch.

Maybe canned responses however we don't have any particular repsonses for same symtoms. I don't customize responses for same problems. Were here to try and help as best as we can. After all troubleshooting has been exhausted, then Users need to contact NG support as this would be then beyond forum help. 

@gamenlegend wrote:
Could be, dunno. Most of the responses I originally recieved kind of seemed like canned responses.

I've still yet to reset my router. Im able to reach the admin webpages for the satellites and they show the version in the title of this thread as being installed. I'm going to assume there was an automatic upgrade but it didn't go so well on the actual router.

Unless there's hope that it can still receive automatic firmware updates via a backend process by netgear, I'm going to be looking at documenting my dhcp setup and trying to find a document (I hopefully saved) that has all my configurations.

For the features that are moving to access anywhere, is that the same as insight cloud? Kinda wondering if I should just abandon Orbi and get some insight capable WAPs.

Message 47 of 60
DaLynch1
Aspirant

I can tell that the user group is not comprised of employees based on the delivery and often the quality of the responses. I do appreciate that people care enough to invest time, their knowledge and experience to help others with NG's products. Unfortunately there are some folks who are hurting the image of the brand with some really, really awful replies. NG really should invest in some (or more) folks on this side to help.

And I do appreciate the thoughtfulness in many of the replies that I've seen from you specifically.

I am aware that NG dropped the service because of the security risk that opening the port presents. It is disingenuous to market Access Anywhere as the same, to see in a support kb article that they are defining it that way is well beyond the wordsmithing of marketers and is about as dishonest as you can get, if that cleared legal, I would be shocked. It has class action written all over it.

Message 48 of 60
FURRYe38
Guru

Tech forums can only do so much. After that, it's up to users and NG support to continue to resolve this issues at hand.

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Were not here for chritisizms and likes or don't likes. Where were to help is all. We also have and can experience same problems as well. Some may not either. Why some of us volunteer our time and efforts in helping out users when we can. Just here to help. If users don't like it, nothing bothered by it for us. It's your stuff. We'll help others who want the help. 

Good Luck though. 

Also the begining of this thread was no mention of users having problems when I first posted this. Only recently this past week and weekend has a problem appeared. I presume this maybe due to a new group of more Orbi users setting this FW update via AU and AU maybe causing problems. 

Message 49 of 60
Hydechen
Aspirant

Hi, I have a RBR850 in Router mode connecting to two RBS850 satellites, all running on V4.6.3.16 firmware. I have been checking firmware update on web interface and mobile Orbi app from time to time but the results have always been No New Firmware Available.

I recently came to realize there is actually newer firmware V4.6.8.2 available, but after I performed manual update on my first RBS satellite, it has failed to sync/connect to the router.  I have tried several ways, including factory reset the satellite, sync via web interface / mobile app / sync button on RBR, unplug/reboot RBS & RBR, etc. None has brought the satellite back online and it always ended up with the purple/magenta light. When I performed the update and subsequent sync, the distance between RBR and the failed RBS is only a few feet.

Not sure how to fix this. Should I also manually update the remaining RBS and then RBR to V4.6.8.2?  I can't afford to lose another connection point though. Appreciate your advice!

Message 50 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7