Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.8.5 Released

Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Are there any collisions seen on the Statistics window on the RBR? 

Do you happen to have a different model or brand LAN switch laying around? 

No collisions shown. I've never seen any collisions at all on this screen at any point.

I don't have another LAN switch lying around - however I did realise last night I have a redundant LAN switch in my configuration. One of the LAN ports on my Orbi has a Hue Lights base station connected to it, at least so I thought but it turns out the Hue base station is connected to a 4-port Netgear switch which is in turn connected to the Orbi. It's the only thing connected to that switch and it's left over from a while back when I had more items connected - I never got around to taking it out.

I'll remove that when I get the chance and see if it make any difference. It's only a 4-porter so not suitable for replacing my existing 8-porter but maybe it'll help.

Message 76 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 77 of 97
Validus
Luminary

The DNS issues still occur for me unfortunately. Mostly the message "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" and sometimes "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN". The workaround before was router admin > advanced > advanced > IPv6. I changed the Internet Connection Type from "Disabled" to "6to4Tunnel". That ran fine, but I no longer use it due to it being deprecated. Message shown "We have detected you are using a 6to4 tunnel. 6to4 is deprecated and will be shutdown shortly." 

So I don't use IPv6 and it's been disabled. ISP supports and uses IPv4 only with a VLAN 10 required to connect.

Checking with the DNS Spoofable Checker: https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

I have noticed the DNS name server IPs that they provide to use under the Router aren't the same IP Addresses, rather it allocate other IP Addresses for the DNS to use (I guess finding the fastest / nearby available). They are however valid ones for that IPS. I had tested other DNS servers upon it in the past without any changes to the issue. Not sure if I should assign those ones directly or leave it?

A DNS BenchMark suggests that the IPS provide ones are the fastest available for my location, followed by OpenDNS.

I might try again to change automatic assign DNS from ISP to manually set ones.

I also noticed NAT Filtering has Disable SIP ALG ticked? Not sure if I need that disabled or not? Should I remove the tick and allow that?

Message 78 of 97
Validus
Luminary

Changing the DNS servers to manual ones didn't affect it at all. Same issue.

Yet now I'm testing enabling NAT Filtering > SIP ALG on the router and seem to be running smoother. Seems every single google search and youtube is telling me to keep it disabled, but enabled works a lot better? Well it's snappier at responding, both pausing/playing Netflix and IPTV, as well as looking up websites with Google. Doesn't have that slight delay. No problems so far.

It can tend to work quite well at first when rebooting the router and degrade over time, so I'll come back later to report on the results. Test it for a while first.

Message 79 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

So SIP ALG is enabled now? 

I notice that this feature is disabled by default now days. Used to be enabled. 

@Validus wrote:

Changing the DNS servers to manual ones didn't affect it at all. Same issue.

Yet now I'm testing enabling NAT Filtering > SIP ALG on the router and seem to be running smoother. Seems every single google search and youtube is telling me to keep it disabled, but enabled works a lot better? Well it's snappier at responding, both pausing/playing Netflix and IPTV, as well as looking up websites with Google. Doesn't have that slight delay. No problems so far.

It can tend to work quite well at first when rebooting the router and degrade over time, so I'll come back later to report on the results. Test it for a while first.

Message 80 of 97
Validus
Luminary

@FURRYe38 Yes, SIP ALG is now enabled and it makes a big difference!

It was one setting I avoided changing, as reading up online everyone tells you to disable it. However, the Netgear Mesh or the devices on it appear to love it enabled. It feels as if the router before was randomly handing out data packets around all the network devices guessing or waiting till something claims it as their call. I believe that works till there's a flood of network traffic going around multiple devices and overwhelms it? Now everything instantly just goes directly to the device which called it.

There's no more slight delay waiting on certain webpage loads. Even running a Disney Plus 4K HDR show, if I had skipped the intro, previously the audio would of been slightly out of sync with the actors lips, so I would stop and start the movie back off at that point to resync it. Now I can skip, fast forward and rewind, while keeping that 4K HDR movie in sync and having tons of other devices using the network as well.

I don't believe I need SIP ALG disabled for VOIP, haven't noticed any issues. No DNS problems so far either. Hopefully fixed my problem and added a slight performance bonus too.

Message 81 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. 

Ya I remember back in the day SIP ALG was needed for VoIP. Wondering if there has been a change in root behavior for SIP. I remember seeing some users report seeing problems with it enabled. Maybe a problem on a case by case basis. 

Ya were seeing odd blasts of DHCP requests for devices in a a short repeated manor at random times. Still haven't fully narrowed it down why this happens. Some has been having too much wifi signals in a small home and too many RBS deployed. Causes a ping pong effect with devices hoping around from the RBR to RBS is one possible theory. 

Glad it seems to be helping you. I know you been fighting with your system for a while now. I did pass this on to NG however didn't get any feedback. 

I'll be sure to keep this on the plate and see if this changes anything for others. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 82 of 97
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@Garwoofoo wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We might be looking into this more closely....

Just updating you on this - the system went over a week without issues, then I can see that the LAN ports again did a "reset" early this morning. At the time, network activity would have been minimal.

An update to this - for the last two days I have been running both my RBS satellites wirelessly (mostly to see if it helps with the iPhone disconnection problem, but I've been observing this issue too).

I can see from the Orbi statistics screen that the LAN ports "reset" again about 16 hours ago.  So I think this eliminates the issue being caused by a wired satellite, or a satellite sitting behind a network switch.

Continuing to monitor...

Message 83 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you notice the system uptime on the RBR reset as well>?

Is email logging enabled on your system?

@Garwoofoo wrote:

An update to this - for the last two days I have been running both my RBS satellites wirelessly (mostly to see if it helps with the iPhone disconnection problem, but I've been observing this issue too).

I can see from the Orbi statistics screen that the LAN ports "reset" again about 16 hours ago.  So I think this eliminates the issue being caused by a wired satellite, or a satellite sitting behind a network switch.

Continuing to monitor...

Message 84 of 97
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

The system uptime does not reset and the system does not reboot. The only thing that resets is the uptime on the LAN ports on the Statistics screen.

I don’t have email logging enabled, but I am running in AP mode. I don’t have any issues with random reboots so I haven’t needed to enable this as some others have.
Message 85 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for the info. I just put my 8 series back online. Will check mine as well. 

Message 86 of 97
spewak
Luminary

@Validus

I followed your lead and enabled SIP ALG and unless I am falling prey to the "placebo effect", things are running much faster. You very well may be onto something here. Going downstairs now to try the IPTV streaming. Just to see if there is a bit of difference. Will report back.

Thanks for the heads up!

Message 87 of 97
spewak
Luminary

Just watched an hour or so of IPTV and yes, things are faster. Channel changes, FF and Rewind with no spinwheeling. Very nice.

Message 88 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad thats making things work better. Thanks for letting us know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 89 of 97
tc2950
Aspirant

I followed this thred with interest and decided to update to 4.6.8.5 yesterday. I have followed all advice and guidance in these threads. Sadly again this morning 3 devices dropped when being connected to the satellite (never any issues when connected to the main router). It's an iPad Pro, Iphone Pro and Macbook Pro. I am really thinking about leaving the Orbi platform after this inconvenience has started (about 3-6 months ago). Appreciate any input - Thanks

Message 90 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Are the RBS wireless or wire connected to the RBR? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz. I use 1 and 40.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

@tc2950 wrote:

I followed this thred with interest and decided to update to 4.6.8.5 yesterday. I have followed all advice and guidance in these threads. Sadly again this morning 3 devices dropped when being connected to the satellite (never any issues when connected to the main router). It's an iPad Pro, Iphone Pro and Macbook Pro. I am really thinking about leaving the Orbi platform after this inconvenience has started (about 3-6 months ago). Appreciate any input - Thanks

Message 91 of 97
spewak
Luminary

@tc2950 

One thing to try before you leave the Orbi behind, after upgrading the firmware, did you follow Furry's oft given advice and restart your RBR and RBS? I did read your post that you followed the advice in this thread, but something that I though needed to be pointed out. With me in particular, it remedied the dropped device situation. Something to try in any case.

Message 92 of 97
Tseg
Initiate

I got my Orbi 852 system a few months back... refurbished.  It was a little rough getting it up and running, getting firmware install errors.  After some resets I thought I got everything lined out.   The system has been running well, or much better than the C7800 I had been running for several years that was not mesh compatible, gave me dead spots and also contributed to chronic disconnect problems with my EX7700 extender that I junked a while back.  So I have been happy.  It has been a busy summer so little time to tinker with the Orbi settings... only today I realize my Router had an expired firmware (I did not document which one) and the Satellite, which has been working, didn't even have a firmware listed.   Long story short, I ended up having to manually install downloaded 4.6.8.5 firmware for both units, which took a few different gyrations and resets to figure out.  Now the control panel shows latest firmware for both and tells me no new firmware available for both... before it could not locate satellite  Now I swear I have faster WiFi in more spots... everything does seem snappier.   I have Comcast gig service and Orbi App had shown ~1.3GB service after initial install at the modem, but now is ~1.44GB.  Much of the upper floors had 200-400mps WiFi, but now most of the house is ~600mps.  The outside porch had been just at 100mps, now is over 200mps.   Likely my firmware would never had fixed itself had I not poked around.   I can only imagine the % of non-tech interested people that have underperforming, non-optimized equipment because they don't care and don't even know it can be improved with a few clicks of the button.  Crazy. 

Message 93 of 97
gamenlegend
Guide

This same issue is occurring for me.

Message 94 of 97
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 95 of 97
tc2950
Aspirant