Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

New - RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

RBR850/RBS850 Firmware Version 4.6.9.11 Released

New Features:

• Adds an auto-firmware upgrade enable/disable option  <Long awaited feature is FINALLY HERE!

Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 9.47.19 PM.png

https://kb.netgear.com/000038662/How-do-I-enable-disable-auto-firmware-update

• Adds support for IGMPv2 and IGMPv3 
  • Adds support for PCCW IGMP proxying 
  • Adds PPPoE passthrough option 
  • Adds Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)
  • Adds an Intranet IP option 

Enhancements:

• Improves reliability of Ookla Speedtest results from the Orbi app and device UI
  • Improves reliability of the Armor device scan and associated device notifications

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes an issue where the incorrect model name displays on the RBS850 debug page
  • Various other minor bug fixes  

Download Link:

RBR850: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBR850-V4.6.9.11.zip

RBS850: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK852/RBS850-V4.6.9.11.zip

Please navigate to the link below for step-by-step instructions on how to update your RBR850/RBS850:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

NOTE: The Disable Auto Update feature only prevents ANY new FW from being installed if available. This does NOT prevent the system from checking NG services to see if new FW is available. If new FW is available, this will be displayed as a notification to the user on the RBRs web page only. It will be up to the user to upgrade FW or not. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered after the FW update:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Best

Kevin

Community Team

Message 1 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

I've tried this version of FW and can confirm that the mysterious reboots no longer happen with email logging disabled after a factory reset. Hope this works for everyone else that saw this issue on prior versions of FW.

Message 2 of 165
Validus
Luminary

So far has updated nicely and running smoothly. Will let you know how it goes after some usage.

Only issue is a minor typo on the tick box "Support Automatic Priviate IP Addressing (APIPA)". Priviate rather than Private. No big deal, just pointing it out for the next updates to come.

Message 3 of 165
Eriksen76
Apprentice

EDIT: Sorry I now read that this is normal.

I'm still running 4.6.8.2 which is pretty stable here.

When I check for firmware update it says Firmware is up to date.

Is this normal behaviour?

Message 4 of 165
krwalker
Aspirant

I can finally use the iOS app to connect locally without disabling iCloud Private Relay.

Unfortunately the speed test no longer works reliably from the web interface; seems like every other attempt fails and the passing attempts report low speeds (~400) compared to what I used to see (~1400). The app seems to regularly work but reports a range of 400-700. My wired device reports an expected result of 940 for its connection. Maybe the test is no longer detecting the closest source and maybe multi stream is no longer on?

Message 5 of 165
gamenlegend
Guide

Any Additional reports or confirmations that this fixes the reboot issues? Would like to cancel my ebay listing.
Message 6 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Please review the release notes posted in this thread.

Thank you. 

@Eriksen76 wrote:

EDIT: Sorry I now read that this is normal.

I'm still running 4.6.8.2 which is pretty stable here.

When I check for firmware update it says Firmware is up to date.

Is this normal behaviour?

Message 7 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STBP is recommended if your ISP service box supports 2.5Gb WAN port connection rate. 

What browser are you using? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@krwalker wrote:

I can finally use the iOS app to connect locally without disabling iCloud Private Relay.

Unfortunately the speed test no longer works reliably from the web interface; seems like every other attempt fails and the passing attempts report low speeds (~400) compared to what I used to see (~1400). The app seems to regularly work but reports a range of 400-700. My wired device reports an expected result of 940 for its connection. Maybe the test is no longer detecting the closest source and maybe multi stream is no longer on?

Message 8 of 165
krwalker
Aspirant

I'm using a privately-owned Arris SB2800 with link aggregation enabled and an Orbi RBR850 with WAN aggregation enabled (and active). The service is XFinity 1200 Mbit and I previously saw 1400/40 speeds via the Orbi speed test from both the web interface and the iOS app.

The hardwired speed tests are done using the AppleTV Ookla Speed test app where I previously and still currently see 940 (the max via the 1 gigabit connection).

I have not factory reset and started over.

Message 9 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended if your ISP service box supports 2.5Gb WAN port connection rate. 

I would try a wired PC connected to the RBR and use Ookla Speed test app. Not sure about onboard app or Orbi app. Onboard app maybe using a server site that's not the most accurate to test with. 

I would power OFF the modem for 1 minute the back ON if you do a factory reset on the RBR as well. Be sure to not enable Access Controls, Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter if you reset. 

Message 10 of 165
spewak
Luminary

I had updated my RBR flawlessly but the Satellite fought me. I couldn't log in. Taking Furry's advice, I reset the RBR and even then, I was met with resistance, on both Router and sat. Finally, I did the 30-30-30 reset and was able to reconfigure and update firmware to both units. I did select to disable the auto-firmware upgrade feature. It is a much appreciated add back in my opinion.

Message 11 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you update the RBS FIRST before updating the RBS. 

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@spewak wrote:

I had updated my RBR flawlessly but the Satellite fought me. I couldn't log in. Taking Furry's advice, I reset the RBR and even then, I was met with resistance, on both Router and sat. Finally, I did the 30-30-30 reset and was able to reconfigure and update firmware to both units. I did select to disable the auto-firmware upgrade feature. It is a much appreciated add back in my opinion.

Message 12 of 165

I did the upgrade and the satellite didn't work properly initially - the 5ghz radio didn't start up. Had to power off and power on both RBR and RBS to solve the problem. So far so good. Will probably do a full system reset just in case.
Message 13 of 165
AndyKH
Tutor

Hi,

Thank you for this information,

I have RBK857 system - RBR850 with six RBS850

Can I / should I update all satellites at the same time or is it one by one? 

When I read 'how to update' it seems to assume one RBS unit.

Then update the RBR unit.

Thank you for your assistance,

Andy. 

Message 14 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

I can have the RBS web pages all open at once pre-stage, navigate to the RBS FW file on each page, do same thing on the RBRs manual FW update page. Then Send the RBS file one on each after the file gets up loaded. I usually wait to see the upgrade % circle to appear on each of the RBS web pages, once I see that, I send the RBRs FW file. If you want to do that. Mostly one at a time with each RBS first then the RBR lastly. 

Message 15 of 165
Eriksen76
Apprentice

I upgraded manually. First sat1, then sat2 and lastly router. Then finally a power off on all 3 units and my Internet box. Then I switched on all units one after one. Starting with Internet box, router and lastly sattelites. No problems so far, everything went flawless.
Message 16 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you make a new backup config to file for safe keeping. 

Message 17 of 165
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@AndyKH 

I can echo what @FURRYe38 said.   I have updated multiple satellites at the same time, then gone back and updated the router once the satellites have fully updated and reset.

Go to each satellite's admin page via their IP address -  each in a different window/tab.

It definitely saves lots of time.

Message 18 of 165
Erik_W
Star

Update to 4.6.9.11 went flawlessly, no problems. Manually updated satellites first, then router. After succesfull updates I turned off power on router and satellites for a few minutes. Everything came back online as expected. Immediately turned off automatic updates to keep control 🙂. And of course downloaded a new backup-systemfile as advised by @FURRYe38 . System still stable!

Message 19 of 165
AndyKH
Tutor

IMG_4504.PNGHi,

I need a bit of help!

Currently all ORBI devices are v4.6.3.16 (Router + 6 Sat)

From orbi app (v2.19.1.3) I get a firmware update issue please try again/later or words to that effect

From orbi login the 'auto' page says either 'no new firmware available' (Route +3xSat) or 'service unreachable' (3xsat)

manual updates, downloaded latest files , unzipped but when I 'upload' I get 'firmware upgrade failed. please try later' - This is when uploading the firmware file (not the next step of upgrading devices).

I have used 2 different unzip programmes, and downloaded from Netgear several times.

Any thoughts / suggestion please ?

This is laptop directly wired to Orbi router, wifi on laptop off, power not battery, chrome web page. VPN off. 

Thank you,

Andy.

IMG_4503.jpg

Message 20 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Please update the RBS by logging in to the RBS web pages with a web browser and updating the FW on the RBS first by downloading the FW files linked in this thread. Update ALL RBS first, then use the manual tab on the RBR to update the RBR lastly. 

@AndyKH 

Message 21 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 📡

@Erik_W wrote:

Update to 4.6.9.11 went flawlessly, no problems. Manually updated satellites first, then router. After succesfull updates I turned off power on router and satellites for a few minutes. Everything came back online as expected. Immediately turned off automatic updates to keep control 🙂. And of course downloaded a new backup-systemfile as advised by @FURRYe38 . System still stable!

Message 22 of 165
JoshDi
Apprentice

upgrade to this version went smoothly. however, I previously had telnet enabled via my config using a much older FW. Once I upgraded to 4.6.9.11, telnet no longer works and I cannot enable it (even with the debug.htm screen and enabling the hidden checkbox)

Message 23 of 165
FURRYe38
Guru

Telnet was removed from mid v3 versions of FW and beyond. NG is not supporting telnet.

Message 24 of 165
scorn242
Apprentice

Hi all,

I disabled updates via the GUI yesterday. I use the 850s in AP mode only.

The attached logs from just a moment ago today from my SonicWall (which has rules to block attempts by the RBR and RBS's from going to any netgear update site) are attached.

It still seems to be reaching out to the update site even after I toggled it off.

Any thoughts?

Message 25 of 165
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7