Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I posted this picture here reporting connected RBS:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v4-6-3-9-Released/m-p/21...

And the Basic/Tab reports 2 for Number of Satellites. 

No, not this one. Please provide the one similar to this (Under >> BASIC >> Home in the web GUI) please:

image.png

Message 26 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

So do you see parental controls tile on the Orbi app at all? 

@ekhalil 
Message 27 of 108
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And the Basic/Tab reports 2 for Number of Satellites. 

@FURRYe38 Are you sure??

For me the I see the wired satellite in the attached devices list but not under >> BASIC >> Home:

Namnlöst.pngNamnlöst 2.png

Message 28 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep...what I see and posted...

Just did a reboot of the RBR as well:

RBR_StatusAfterReboot.png

Message 29 of 108
LadySapphy
Guide

Multiple reboots of the Router as well as the Orbi App, (iOS) and still no SPC 😞

Message 30 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about any SPC items here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Orbi-RBR850-firmware-4-6-3-9-No-SPC-til...

Thank you.

@LadySapphy wrote:

Multiple reboots of the Router as well as the Orbi App, (iOS) and still no SPC 😞

Message 31 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

Message 32 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully NG can let us know what the deal is this coming week...

Message 33 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@raven_au wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Neither do I. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000062109/How-do-I-set-up-and-install-NETGEAR-Smart-Parental-Controls

Though I have not done a factory reset as of yet. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Smart-Home-Parental/Orbi-RBR850-firmware-4-6-3-9-No-SPC-til...

I have and it still doesn't show up.

Removed and re-installed Orbi app and still doesn't show up.

Message 34 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

I installed this on my RBK853 devices last night.

It was harder than it has been previously, the impression I get is some new bugs have been added in addition to the obvious new WiFi bugs and, well, the fact this was meant to enable SPC and hasn't seems like the Netgear developers are trying (and failing) to make a bad joke.

I'm not sure yet how many devices are dropping and re-connecting but I know for sure that one of my 2.4Ghz devices is.

I've disabled AX on the 2.4Ghz band and I don't think the re-connect is still happening. I also have the impression (not certain and haven't been able to identify any pattern yet) that devices are favouring the router above the Satelites.

I will see how things go today but if things don't go well enough I may be forced to box up the Orbis for 6 months and maybe see how things are then.

The problem with that is then I need to decide what to change to, go to my RBK50 + RBS40 and see how that is going these days or go back to my ASUS GT-AX11000 + 2 x ZenWiFi XT8 with limited security options and non existent parental controls ...

The concept of pay for comprehensive security and partental control services is a good vision but without a solid stable system, both underlying operating system and products that vision will utimately fail and Netgear doesn't seem to be able to provide either.

Message 35 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

One posted mentioned on the 7 series update thread that they contacted NG support about there TV no longer connecting to the system after last FW Update, NG said there seems to be problem in the RBS FW and needs to be fixed. They turned OFF the RBS and the TV now connects...wondering if this goes for the 8 series RBS...

Message 36 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, we can't downgrade from v4 to v3:

CanNotDownGrade2v3From_v4.png

Message 37 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

@rr20552 wrote:
It doesn’t appear in the Orbi web interface.

It’s configured and controlled via the Orbi APP.

Note that when I enabled it on mine it caused constant Wi-Fi disconnects / reconnects requiring a factory reset to restore service.

Interested if anybody else else is experiencing the same issue?

It tuns out that you don't need to enable parental controls for things to start doing the re-connect dance.

I noticed that happening to me last night and SPC isn't visible anywhere for me so I can't enable it.

This caused all the devices to end up associated to the router.

Rebooting I also encountered the DHCP server not issuing IP addresses again, an additional reboot helped with that but the same thing happened with devices frequently disconnecting.

I then disabled AX on the 5Ghz band since I had already disabled it on the 2.4Ghz band for the same problem a while ago but it was late so I couldn't check things were Ok after the change and woke this morning to find the Orbi wasn't issuing IP address again.

Note that the DHCP problem is not new to this firmware!

It baffles me that Netgear would release a firmware for the 800 series when they (alegedly) know there are significant problems with the 700 series release.

Amature hour at Negtgear to be sure.

I've worked from home for many years now and can't continue using these, I've put back my RBK50 + RBS40 now and I'm struggling with it now too (as usual) ... hopefully I will be able to make it work well enough ... of course there's the forced automatic update for SPC looming there too so it may well be back to ASUS AiMesh for me.

Message 38 of 108
rr20552
Apprentice

Finally managed to track down my constant disconnect / reconnect issue when enabling parental controls.

Some of my iPhones have 1Blocker APP installed with its local VPN based firewall enabled.

When I enable parental controls for the first time all these devices go into a disconnect / reconnect cycle.

Disabling the 1Blocker APP inbuilt firewall allows the devices to connect to the Wi-Fi however I’m no longer to enable the app firewall.

There must be some kind of block occurring on the Orbi.

Not sure who to take this forward with??
Message 39 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

So you got smart parental controls enabled on the Orbi app? 

Care to show us a picture of what that looks like? 

You might contact the mfr of this app and see if they have any help or information. This is a 3rd party app which I presume not everyone uses. 

Message 40 of 108
rr20552
Apprentice

After I upgraded the firmware and fired up the APP I was prompted to enable parental controls.

Once I subscribed to the free trial the Parental Control tile appeared.

It also changes the devices to be displayed based on control group.

Screenshots attached.

Message 41 of 108
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Community, 

Just to clarify, we’ve disabled Smart Parental Controls for the initial firmware rollout. However, we plan to enable SPC next week when we start the next phase of rollout. 

Regards,

Christian 

Message 42 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. 

Message 43 of 108
raven_au
Virtuoso

F

@raven_au wrote:

It tuns out that you don't need to enable parental controls for things to start doing the re-connect dance.

I noticed that happening to me last night and SPC isn't visible anywhere for me so I can't enable it.

This caused all the devices to end up associated to the router.

Rebooting I also encountered the DHCP server not issuing IP addresses again, an additional reboot helped with that but the same thing happened with devices frequently disconnecting.

I then disabled AX on the 5Ghz band since I had already disabled it on the 2.4Ghz band for the same problem a while ago but it was late so I couldn't check things were Ok after the change and woke this morning to find the Orbi wasn't issuing IP address again.

Note that the DHCP problem is not new to this firmware!

A little further investigation after a factory reset and reconfigure ...

I have two pieces of evidance that devices are doing a disconnect dance.

First the connection light on a Harmony hub will turn red for a while every several minutes and then green again. That device is on 2.4Ghz wireless and I'm fairly sure disabling AX on the 2.4Ghz band fixes it, I'll need to put the 850's back in and check again.

And the second is a message I've never before, until the firmware update, when I exit from watching a show in Disney+ saying I'm offline. I suspect that message is hidden when the show is playing (since the disconnect time is short the buffering allows it to continue) and is probably the last occurrance of it I see at exit. I can't say if disabling AX helps with it but I suspect not. I'll need to continue to monitor that when I put the 850's back in too.

It's interesting I found the 50 series also have the DHCP problem I mentioned above so switching to those doesn't help with that problem.

Message 44 of 108
ekhalil
Master

@Christian_R wrote:

Hello Community, 

Just to clarify, we’ve disabled Smart Parental Controls for the initial firmware rollout. However, we plan to enable SPC next week when we start the next phase of rollout. 

Regards,

Christian 

Thanks @Christian_R , but please don't start with next phase until the current stability issues are fixed.

Wired satellites are not working, and devices frequently dropping. I think this is the worst released firmware since a very long time.

Message 45 of 108
ekhalil
Master

@Christian_R I need now to reboot my speakers 3-4 time a day to keep them connected to wifi. I've never needed to do this on any other firmware since the beginning of the Orbi AX Series 8.

Also, the satellites seem to frequently lose connections with the router, so all devices are being moved to the router instead.

On top of that, wired satellites don't work for me with this firmware.

It's clear that there are many severe quality issues with this firmware that I hope Netgear will work on to fix soon.

Thank you,

Message 46 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you swapped around the RBS to see if the problem follows the 1 RBS? 

Try manually re-loading FW on to the one RBS, reset and re-synce using wireless first, then after it's synced, wire connect it. 

I recommend you contact NG support and send in your debug logs. You seem to be the only one experinencing this issue with the one wired RBS. Maybe they can help determine what the fault is. Mine are still BOTH wire connected. 

Also try this, disable AX mode on the RBR and set CTS to 2347 and see if this brings some stability to wireless devices. Yes we know this shouldn't have to be done...this is short term troubleshooting until NG fixes the problems. 

@ekhalil wrote:

I need now to reboot my speakers 3-4 time a day to keep them connected to wifi. I've never needed to do this on any other firmware since the beginning of the Orbi AX Series 8.

Also, the satellites seem to frequently lose connections with the router, so all devices are being moved to the router instead.

On top of that, wired satellites don't work for me with this firmware.

It's clear that there are many severe quality issues with this firmware that I hope Netgear will work on to fix soon.

Thank you,

Message 47 of 108
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you swapped around the RBS to see if the problem follows the 1 RBS? 

I have the issues in all satellites.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try manually re-loading FW on to the one RBS, reset and re-synce using wireless first, then after it's synced, wire connect it. 

Done that many times, did not help

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I recommend you contact NG support and send in your debug logs. You seem to be the only one experinencing this issue with the one wired RBS. Maybe they can help determine what the fault is. Mine are still BOTH wire connected. 

How do you know that I'm the "only one with this issue"? The fact that your setup does not reveal this issue does not mean that the issue does not exist!

I have multiple speakers, cameras, IoT devices, Harmony hubs, ..... Seems that the issue appears in certain setups, but not sure what!

It's very clear that this firmware has issues! I did not have any similar issues in any of the previous firmware releases the past 2 years or so.

Message 48 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Just because you reported it doesn't mean it's a global FW issue as well. We don't have full details of your configuration and such as well. Something you can provide to NG support. Others have not posted about it either so we don't presume everyone is effected until it's reproduced by others and NG. Mine just says that it does work for my configuration. Both direct and using LAN switches. So I presume there is a issue at your location, with your configuration and possible fault at the RBS and in FW. Something NG will need to have a look at. I recommend you contact NG support and send in your debug logs so they can address it IF it is a FW issue. 

Good Luck. 

Message 49 of 108
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Just because you reported it doesn't mean it's a global FW issue as well.  

This is a very basic principle in software verification! One incident of an issue is a good reason to start troubleshooting, but one incident of a working scenario is not a proof that the software is good. 🙂

Message 50 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7