Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released -- Caution!!

I tried mine with v4 in WAG mode with my CAX80. RBR preconfigured with WAG enabled then shut off. Configured my CAX80 for LAG and it rebooted. Powered ON the RBR while the CAX80 rebooted with LAN cables connected. 

I noticed also it didn't seem to connect in WAG mode or get an IP address from my CAX80 with it's LAG enabled after both units were ready:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.45.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.46.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.47.28 AM.png

I then figured I'd select the RELEASE and RENEW buttons. I gave it several seconds. I checked the front LED and it was PINK. I when back and checked the status connection and it finally got a connection:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.48.13 AM.png

Basic tab reported GOOD:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.48.52 AM.png

WAN Prefferences reported WAN Agg was Active:

Screen Shot 2021-09-06 at 11.49.17 AM.png

Try RELASED and RENEW on the RBR Status page. 

My setup is not recommended as I was using a upstream router at the CAX80 to test the WAG function on the RBR850. Normal configuration would be connected to a CM series modem with WAG enabled there. The CAX80 only has LAG support on the LAN side. 

This is what happened and results of what I also saw on the RBS auto boot loop issue with v4 loaded and how it was resolved:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-4-6-3-9-Firmware-problem/m-p/2135277/highligh...

@Quaksyx wrote:

One huge issue w/ this firmware appears to be that WAN aggregation is not supported.  I have a Netgear CM1150V cable modem and the RBR850 Orbi router & 2 x RBS850 satellites.  I had enabled WAN aggregation sometime ago because Comcast allegedly increased my internet connection to 1.2 Gbps and my uplink was limited to only 1 Gbps.  WAN aggregation enables using 2 ethernet ports on the modem, connected to the uplink port and port 1 of the Orbi, allowing up to 2 Gbps in my case then.  All was well until the update to 4.6.3.9...my Orbi router would only display the magenta color and I had no internet until I figured this out.  Once I disconnected the extra ethernet cable and disabled the feature on both the Orbi and Netgear modem (via config pages), I had internet again.

Another bad thing that happened as result of this firmware update, one of my satellites got stuck in a perpetual loop of reboot.  I cannot get it synched back to the router.  I've factory reset the router and all is well with it and one satellite.  The misbehaving satellite does not seem to boot up to a solid white light, despite many attempts to factory reset it, including the 30-30-30 method (described elsewhere on these formums) and leaving it unpowered for a couple hours.  I finally contacted Netgear and they are RMAing the unit (fortunately under warranty).  Crazy!!

To the questions about the added parental controls, I do see the option in the Orbi app, but not via the PC website.  I have not tried to activate it...

Message 101 of 108
Quaksyx
Tutor

Thanks for the response -- that's reassuring that you got the WAG function to work, I'll reattempt it once my system is fully back up (e.g., router + 2 satellites).  I saw your looping reboot thread as well -- In my case waiting >24 h with the satellite unpowered resolved nothing.  I just tried powering it back up and it's still looping.  Seems I'm going to have to wait for Netgear's replacement after all... Very frustrating! Smiley Mad

Message 102 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

"In my case waiting >24 h with the satellite unpowered resolved nothing." In my case both RBR AND RBS were powered OFF after the factory reset using the ERASE button on the RBR web page resolved my RBS boot loop issue. 

@Quaksyx wrote:

Thanks for the response -- that's reassuring that you got the WAG function to work, I'll reattempt it once my system is fully back up (e.g., router + 2 satellites).  I saw your looping reboot thread as well -- In my case waiting >24 h with the satellite unpowered resolved nothing.  I just tried powering it back up and it's still looping.  Seems I'm going to have to wait for Netgear's replacement after all... Very frustrating! Smiley Mad

Message 103 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

For anyone with a 8 series Orbi AX system. There is a v4.6.3.16 beta being offered up for those who would like to try it out. 

Please make contact with NG support or PM @Blanca_O @DarrenM 

Message 104 of 108
SpeedPro_03
Tutor

Why there’s an oficial FW v4.6.3.16 for the 7 series and not for the 8? It makes no sense…
Message 105 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume because NG hasn't released the 8 series yet. I presume NG doesn't release 7 or 8 series udpates at the same time unless they deem it necessary. 

Message 106 of 108
dtay
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For anyone with a 8 series Orbi AX system. There is a v4.6.3.16 beta being offered up for those who would like to try it out. 

I assume if the beta doesn't work out, we can stilll safely revert back to the previous 3.x version firmware using the methods that were discussed?  I'm curious about trying out SPC especially to see if it's reliable and robust enough to replace Circle Plus without the speed degradation that comes with using Circle.

Message 107 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Not officiaclly No. Once on v4 your stuck, however users can try this un-official work around:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130584#M18586

@dtay wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I assume if the beta doesn't work out, we can stilll safely revert back to the previous 3.x version firmware using the methods that were discussed?  I'm curious about trying out SPC especially to see if it's reliable and robust enough to replace Circle Plus without the speed degradation that comes with using Circle.

Message 108 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7