Reply

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

I recommend you hold off. I believe theres too many issues with this FW. 

You can try it, however downgrading seems to be not supported though users have found a way to downgradeL

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2130838/highligh...


@philoouu wrote:

@FURRYe38 

 

You may remember my issue that was never fixed in 1 year  (Wired Backhaul Satellite Gust Network with no internet - DNS issue probably)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/AX6000-RBK852-Wired-Backhaul-mode-Guest-Network-No-internet...

 

I got a mail from the support NG last week telling me that it was fixed and tested in v4.6.3.9 

I was wondering (when I read a few posts here with several issues) if I really should upgrade or not....  

Thanks for your help !

philoouu

 

 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 76 of 108
philoouu
Luminary

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

@FURRYe38 

 

Thanks for your advice... I guess I will wait a little bit more to see if they come with another release sometimes soon.

NetGear is unable to safely fix basic bugs in more than 1 year.. no comment !

 

Message 77 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

👍

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 78 of 108
JoshDi
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

I am also having issues with my RBS850 2.4ghz network on v4.6.3.9

 

I first upgraded my SAT and then upgraded my Router. The RBS850 2.4ghz network was on the wrong wireless channel and no devices would connect to 2.4ghz. To resolve this, I changed my 2.4ghz channel on my RBR850 and then changed it back. This synced the 2.4ghz channel. 

 

However, still no devices would connect to the 2.4ghz network on the RBS850, only the RBR850. 

 

I tried disabling the AX mode on the 2.4ghz network which seems to have fixed the problems, sort of, but I am still having issues with devices connecting to the SAT versus the Router. After reenabling AX mode on the 2.4ghz network, it seems like some devices connect via the RBS850 on the 2.4ghz network....

 

In short, it seems like something is seriously wrong with the 2.4ghz network on v4.6.3.9 for RBS850s. 

 

Netgear, can you please resolve this ASAP since we cannot downgrade? 

 

I also noticed that the router has changed and reduced significantly the number of nvram settings that are available to the user. Is there anyway to fix this? Also, remote access (as per the change log) is completely disabled in this version. However, I still see the settings in the GUI to enable/disable. Is there anyway to enable remote access again? 

Message 79 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

What happens if you turn down the power on the RBR from 100% to 25%, apply the change and reboot the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Be sure to use manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz

 

Do any devcies connect to the RBS then? 


@JoshDi wrote:

I am also having issues with my RBS850 2.4ghz network on v4.6.3.9

 

I first upgraded my SAT and then upgraded my Router. The RBS850 2.4ghz network was on the wrong wireless channel and no devices would connect to 2.4ghz. To resolve this, I changed my 2.4ghz channel on my RBR850 and then changed it back. This synced the 2.4ghz channel. 

 

However, still no devices would connect to the 2.4ghz network on the RBS850, only the RBR850. 

 

I tried disabling the AX mode on the 2.4ghz network which seems to have fixed the problems, sort of, but I am still having issues with devices connecting to the SAT versus the Router. 

 

In short, it seems like something is seriously wrong with the 2.4ghz network on v4.6.3.9 for RBS850s. 

 

Netgear, can you please resolve this ASAP since we cannot downgrade? 

 

I also noticed that the router has changed and reduced significantly the number of nvram settings that are available to the user. Is there anyway to fix this? Also, remote access (as per the change log) is completely disabled in this version. However, I still see the settings in the GUI to enable/disable. Is there anyway to enable remote access again? 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 80 of 108
JoshDi
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

I can try to do that, however, I just turned off remote management (trying to cycle the settings to see if this would fix the problem) and now I cannot access the GUI configuration at all. 

 

Update:

 

I actually fixed the problem by inspecting the page and removing the commented out "Remote Management" item in the sidebar. After renabling remote management, it does in fact work. 

Message 81 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

If your working remotely then you won't be able too. 

Locally connected you should be able to connect to the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 82 of 108
JoshDi
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

I working locally. See my updated comment above. Restarting the Orbi router fixed the problem and adjusting the remote access settings again

 

Devices still dont connect to the 2.4ghz network on this latest firmware. 

Message 83 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

You can try this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...


@JoshDi wrote:

I working locally. See my updated comment above. Restarting the Orbi router fixed the problem and adjusting the remote access settings again

 

Devices still dont connect to the 2.4ghz network on this latest firmware. 


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 84 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

So it seems when I did yet more digging, I measured the exact distance between the 3 Orbis. The first and second were ideal distance at around 35 feet. The distance between the 2nd and 3rd was seemingly too close at only 21 feet, although there is a solid wall plus another wall between them. Moved the 3rd Orbi further out into the room it was in to ensure a distance of about 30 feet and it seemed to be working fine initially, dropouts pretty much disappeared on the 12 Pro Max I was testing with. However again the 3rd Orbi has decided to connect to the RBR via 2.4Ghz after a day. This is very strange as the RBR is well over 50 feet away and yields nowhere near as good of a backhaul signal as the 2nd RBS. Seems to work fine for almost a day and then just reconnects, shows the blue light and back to connecting to the worst possible backhaul.

Message 85 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

Try lowering the power on the RBR to 50%...


@lof wrote:

So it seems when I did yet more digging, I measured the exact distance between the 3 Orbis. The first and second were ideal distance at around 35 feet. The distance between the 2nd and 3rd was seemingly too close at only 21 feet, although there is a solid wall plus another wall between them. Moved the 3rd Orbi further out into the room it was in to ensure a distance of about 30 feet and it seemed to be working fine initially, dropouts pretty much disappeared on the 12 Pro Max I was testing with. However again the 3rd Orbi has decided to connect to the RBR via 2.4Ghz after a day. This is very strange as the RBR is well over 50 feet away and yields nowhere near as good of a backhaul signal as the 2nd RBS. Seems to work fine for almost a day and then just reconnects, shows the blue light and back to connecting to the worst possible backhaul.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 86 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try lowering the power on the RBR to 50%...


@lof wrote:

So it seems when I did yet more digging, I measured the exact distance between the 3 Orbis. The first and second were ideal distance at around 35 feet. The distance between the 2nd and 3rd was seemingly too close at only 21 feet, although there is a solid wall plus another wall between them. Moved the 3rd Orbi further out into the room it was in to ensure a distance of about 30 feet and it seemed to be working fine initially, dropouts pretty much disappeared on the 12 Pro Max I was testing with. However again the 3rd Orbi has decided to connect to the RBR via 2.4Ghz after a day. This is very strange as the RBR is well over 50 feet away and yields nowhere near as good of a backhaul signal as the 2nd RBS. Seems to work fine for almost a day and then just reconnects, shows the blue light and back to connecting to the worst possible backhaul.


 


Would that be in advanced wireless settings on both bands? Does this lower across every RBR and RBS?

Message 87 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

Yes. You can try both or single settings. I believe it does both. Try and see if the behavior changes. You can always set it back. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 88 of 108
mishikal
Tutor

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

I can confirm this fixed the constant DNS problems I was having with the v3 firmware.

 

Overall for my deployment (1 RBR 1 RBS) things have generally been stable and it is a much improved experience.

Message 89 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

Thank you for letting us know. Glad its working for you.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.


@mishikal wrote:

I can confirm this fixed the constant DNS problems I was having with the v3 firmware.

 

Overall for my deployment (1 RBR 1 RBS) things have generally been stable and it is a much improved experience.




My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 90 of 108
philoouu
Luminary

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

@FURRYe38 

 

I told the support desk about all the problems about v4.6.3.9  I see in this forum and that I was not ready to make the upgrade at this moment to get my guest network fixed.

They told me that I should wait once there is an automatic upgrade (versus a manual one). What I understood is that sometimes the upgrade is coming automatically (no need to do manual update, uploading file...) in the Administration/Firmware Update/Online Update.

 

My firmware is 3.2.18.1 and it is written No New Firware Available in the Administration/Firmware Update menu.

 

Do you know when/if this v4.6.3.9 will be the official firmware in the online update menu? I guess it will be improved by then...

 

Thanks

 

Message 91 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

No. Its official. Just some get it via auto update and some do not. Manual update is preferred method to update as auto update historically has cause problems for some who have recieved FW via auto update. 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 92 of 108
philoouu
Luminary

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

@FURRYe38 

 

Thanks for your answer. Then I am not sure what they meant by wait until an auto update.

 

 

Message 93 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

Went through several steps with support, system worked again for a day and then the 3rd Orbi decided to just connect to the 1st again via 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz like last but still substantially slower and more latency than connecting via the 2nd. Looks like I will have to be returning this one again if they have to be rebooted daily to try and get them to connect correctly.

Message 94 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

What happens if you swap RBS with each other, does the problem follow the 1 RBS or remain in this one location? 


@lof wrote:

Went through several steps with support, system worked again for a day and then the 3rd Orbi decided to just connect to the 1st again via 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz like last but still substantially slower and more latency than connecting via the 2nd. Looks like I will have to be returning this one again if they have to be rebooted daily to try and get them to connect correctly.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 95 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you swap RBS with each other, does the problem follow the 1 RBS or remain in this one location? 


@lof wrote:

Went through several steps with support, system worked again for a day and then the 3rd Orbi decided to just connect to the 1st again via 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz like last but still substantially slower and more latency than connecting via the 2nd. Looks like I will have to be returning this one again if they have to be rebooted daily to try and get them to connect correctly.


 


I had swapped them before and the issue just returns after a day or so regardless, I'm assuming it's another thing broken in this firmware at this point.

Message 96 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

So after swapping it returns to the one RBS that moved or remains at the location where the initial problem started? 

 

You might revert back and see if this changes anything:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...


@lof wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you swap RBS with each other, does the problem follow the 1 RBS or remain in this one location? 


@lof wrote:

Went through several steps with support, system worked again for a day and then the 3rd Orbi decided to just connect to the 1st again via 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz like last but still substantially slower and more latency than connecting via the 2nd. Looks like I will have to be returning this one again if they have to be rebooted daily to try and get them to connect correctly.


 


I had swapped them before and the issue just returns after a day or so regardless, I'm assuming it's another thing broken in this firmware at this point.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 97 of 108
lof
Guide
Guide

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released


@FURRYe38 wrote:

So after swapping it returns to the one RBS that moved or remains at the location where the initial problem started? 

 

You might revert back and see if this changes anything:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK750-Series-Firmware-Update-v4-6-3-7/m-p/2131307/highligh...


@lof wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you swap RBS with each other, does the problem follow the 1 RBS or remain in this one location? 


@lof wrote:

Went through several steps with support, system worked again for a day and then the 3rd Orbi decided to just connect to the 1st again via 5Ghz, not 2.4Ghz like last but still substantially slower and more latency than connecting via the 2nd. Looks like I will have to be returning this one again if they have to be rebooted daily to try and get them to connect correctly.


 


I had swapped them before and the issue just returns after a day or so regardless, I'm assuming it's another thing broken in this firmware at this point.


 


Whichever RBS unit is in the "third position" at the end of the wireless backhaul exhibits the same, even if switched around. Problem doesn't occur immediately but usually just under a day the unit in that position switches to connecting to the furthest RBR, despite there being no problem with connecting to the other RBS and it making absolutely no sense to be establishing a direct connection to the RBR as that signal is going to show much more latency and of be much slower. I see there have been complaints about satellite disconnections on this firmware. It's just a shame Netgear can't fix basic issues like this as otherwise it was fine.

Message 98 of 108
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released

Ok sounds like there is a problem on the 3rd RBS daisy chain then. I'd let NG know for sure. I believe one moderator mentioned that they know of a problem in FW on the RBS side of things. Not sure if this is the same or different. Thanks for the details. 

 

 


@lof wrote:


Whichever RBS unit is in the "third position" at the end of the wireless backhaul exhibits the same, even if switched around. Problem doesn't occur immediately but usually just under a day the unit in that position switches to connecting to the furthest RBR, despite there being no problem with connecting to the other RBS and it making absolutely no sense to be establishing a direct connection to the RBR as that signal is going to show much more latency and of be much slower. I see there have been complaints about satellite disconnections on this firmware. It's just a shame Netgear can't fix basic issues like this as otherwise it was fine.


 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 99 of 108
Quaksyx
Aspirant

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.3.9 Released -- Caution!!

One huge issue w/ this firmware appears to be that WAN aggregation is not supported.  I have a Netgear CM1150V cable modem and the RBR850 Orbi router & 2 x RBS850 satellites.  I had enabled WAN aggregation sometime ago because Comcast allegedly increased my internet connection to 1.2 Gbps and my uplink was limited to only 1 Gbps.  WAN aggregation enables using 2 ethernet ports on the modem, connected to the uplink port and port 1 of the Orbi, allowing up to 2 Gbps in my case then.  All was well until the update to 4.6.3.9...my Orbi router would only display the magenta color and I had no internet until I figured this out.  Once I disconnected the extra ethernet cable and disabled the feature on both the Orbi and Netgear modem (via config pages), I had internet again.

 

Another bad thing that happened as result of this firmware update, one of my satellites got stuck in a perpetual loop of reboot.  I cannot get it synched back to the router.  I've factory reset the router and all is well with it and one satellite.  The misbehaving satellite does not seem to boot up to a solid white light, despite many attempts to factory reset it, including the 30-30-30 method (described elsewhere on these formums) and leaving it unpowered for a couple hours.  I finally contacted Netgear and they are RMAing the unit (fortunately under warranty).  Crazy!!

 

To the questions about the added parental controls, I do see the option in the Orbi app, but not via the PC website.  I have not tried to activate it...

Message 100 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E