Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.13 Official Release

Eriksen76
Apprentice

@RafS wrote:

I updated my RBK852 last night and all devices work fine but some devices are missing from the device list.  I updated the satellite first, power cycled both devices and rebooted them a couple times after they were up but they are still missing devices from the device list.  What made me first realize the devices were missing is that one device was a Philips Hue hub that was hard wired to the RBR and it was working fine but was definitely missing from the list of devices, in the main device list and the list of devices that are connected to the RBR itself.  When I have some more time, I will do a setup from scratch but for now everything has a connection so it's not a huge problem. 

I experience the same - My 2 Hue Bridges are hardwired to router and works fine, but they only show as attached device on the webbased login - In the app they don't appear at all.

Not a problem at all but still a bug.

Message 26 of 142
57ay
Apprentice

Yes long known I agree but the point is the sats stop responding once updated. Users need to be assisted to understand what you I know!! Sats upgrade first then Router always.
Message 27 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

That why I put that in the first post about the FW update. Smiley Wink

Message 28 of 142
Chuck_M
Mentor

I have been tracking memory and CPU usage daily for a little over a month.

With this firmware update (4.6.7.13), something interesting has happened regarding RBR-850 memory usage...

1.   Memory usage (so far) has significantly dropped (as much as 50 Meg) from previous versions and appears to remain steady at 320

Under previous versions of firmware it has been as high as 371 but had a daily average of 347.  

2.  CPU load seems a fraction higher at an average of 11.47% (where under previous version it averaged  about 11.27%.

Will post the graph for this in a few days as more numbers come in, but compared to previous reboot periods and operating cycles, this version is acting significantly different with memory usage being lower and more constant

If you check your CPU loads right after a reboot, they could be as high as 20%; let the system settle down for a few hours and then check it.   

Message 29 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

Ok so I updated to .13 yet the issue still persists, at the same time in the evening, always around 6:25pm both the satellite and the router (in AP mode) light up in magenta. No chance to connect anymore, not wirelessly, not with wire.

- restarted router and satellite: same issue

- tried re-syncing: same issue.

- Switched satellites: same issue

- tried other ethernet cable: same issue

- tried different ethernet ports on both satellite and router: same issue

- factory reset the router: same issue

- keep satellite switched off after magenta: no issues!

- turn on satellite next morning: no issues! Until ~6:25pm

there's no devices conecting specifically around that time either. Also no airplanes flying over the house around that time.

I still need suggestions for solutions 😞

Message 30 of 142
RafS
Apprentice

Only time I had a similar issue was when I plugged my satellite into a smart plug, thinking it would be an easy way to cut power to it when I needed to. It didn't work out well since it started having issues for some reason the same day and I don't have it set up that way any longer. I do now have the router and the satellite both running of two UPS units and that seems to work great since it keeps my network going when power goes out. 

Message 31 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

Weirdly enough, my satellite is also connected to a smart plug. Although I didn’t have any issues with it in the months before, I’ll gladly try and report if there’s a change. Thanks!
Message 32 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

@Zweiklang wrote:

Ok so I updated to .13 yet the issue still persists, at the same time in the evening, always around 6:25pm both the satellite and the router (in AP mode) light up in magenta. No chance to connect anymore, not wirelessly, not with wire.<This seem to point to either a interference problem in your envirionment or faulty HW, however if both are failing at the same time during same time frame in the evening, I would presume there is some sort of interence issue going on and wouldn't be a HW issue

- restarted router and satellite: same issue

- tried re-syncing: same issue.

- Switched satellites: same issue

- tried other ethernet cable: same issue

- tried different ethernet ports on both satellite and router: same issue

- factory reset the router: same issue> Did you factory reset the RBS as well? 

- keep satellite switched off after magenta: no issues!

- turn on satellite next morning: no issues! Until ~6:25pm

there's no devices conecting specifically around that time either. Also no airplanes flying over the house around that time.

I still need suggestions for solutions 😞

What happens if you use online 1 RBS and not 2? 

Message 33 of 142
Validus
Luminary

@Zweiklang If your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta, it is unable to obtain an IP address from your router or unable to your router. If it's pulsing magenta, it's still attempting to connect but just lost it's signal. If the router is doing that, the WAN port link is down, the router is unable to get the IP address from the modem or ISP, or the router is unable to connect to the Internet. 

Does that always happen at the same time each day? You should double check there's no scheduled blocking going on

There was news about a father that had purchased a wifi blocker and set it up in his house to block the wifi at certain times during the night to prevent his kids from using the Internet as they were addicted to it. Get off around dinner time and again at bed time! It would just kill off the wifi signal. Problem was it's range, it also took out the neighbours and they were clueless contacting the IPS about why they are limiting their Internet for quite some time before they managed to figure that one out!

However, in your case the router is doing it as well right? Check with the ISP end and your Fritz!Box. Either could have a parental control scheduled to block Internet access if the time is always the same and on the dot when it happens. Then the Orbi lights would be just a side-effect reaction from that occuring

EDIT: Oh just read your next post about the smart plugs, yep that could do it as well!

Message 34 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

That’s the combo I’m running on now. Just 1 out of 2 satellites. The other one is not even registered after the factory reset.
Message 35 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

Will double check, though hard to imagine my Fritz!Box router has any blockings set up. It’s basically running the same settings when I got it. Never touched anything deeper there.
Message 36 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

And is the problem still happening with just 1? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

@Zweiklang wrote:
That’s the combo I’m running on now. Just 1 out of 2 satellites. The other one is not even registered after the factory reset.

Message 37 of 142
spewak
Luminary

I concur with you tjtrimble, I just jumped back in having just re-purchased an Orbi 850. I immediately upgraded firmware to 4.6.75 and have been stable for going on 10 days. A far cry from the previous instability.

Message 38 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

Yes it’s still happening with 1 satellite.

The total size of the house is about 186sqm, about 2,000 sqft. The two satellites are about 13m apart, separated through thick brick walls, a metal/concrete floor and doors.
Message 39 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible distance and building materials could be a factor here. 42ft maybe too far in between since you have brick, concrete and metal in between. These will impact wifi signal travel. Try 25-30ft with the RBS.

Message 40 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

I can do that, but both units are connected by Ethernet Backhaul, so I don’t quite see how that would solve the magenta led issue.
Message 41 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Now were getting more info...Are the RBS directly connect to the back of the RBR, or is there a patch panel or LAN switch in between the RBR and RBS. IF a LAN switch, brand and model# please of this switch.

@Zweiklang wrote:
I can do that, but both units are connected by Ethernet Backhaul, so I don’t quite see how that would solve the magenta led issue.

Message 42 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

It’s direct wiring, Cat7, in its own plastic cable pipe with no measurable interferences.
Message 43 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to help rule out the wiring in between. Find you a long CAT6 patch cable and connect 1 RBS directly to the back of the RBR with the RBS in same room or kinda near the RBR. See if this one RBS exhibits this issue at the same time frame.

Possible bad cabling or LAN jacks could cause problems however I would presume it maybe more immediate however anything is possible when it comes to orbi. Smiley Frustrated

Message 44 of 142
VerneArase
Apprentice

Installed on RBK853 and everything seems fine so far.

Just used automagic install and everything went smoothly.

Backed up configuration before and after update - also manually downloaded firmware prior to update - I like to have options should things go south.

Message 45 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Hows that hop count doing? 

@Garwoofoo wrote:

My 3 satellites are all showing connected devices properly including names, IP addresses, MAC and connection types.

Recommend a simple reboot and double checking.  Mine initially did not show IP address either but after reboot all is well.

Hmmm, I rebooted my system many, many times over the course of testing 4.6.7.5 and I never saw these status screens work properly.

Maybe 4.6.7.13 will be different. Currently these screens are showing IP addresses, MAC addresses and connection type correctly, but name is "Unknown" for about 50% of devices. For now I'm going to keep the system running to test long-term stability, but as and when I need to reboot, I'll watch what it does.

Message 46 of 142
jdelgado
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the RBR853, I updated the firmware to the latest via my phone app and my 2 satellites did not show up, they are connected wired.  I did a factory reset and try to sync them again but nothing.  So I took the satellite closer to the router and re-sync them again at it works, I did it while connected wired and it shows the connection was wired.  I repeat the steps to the other unit and it works but when I move then back to their location and connected them wired they show that they are offiline.  I know cables are good since it was working before and I tested then by connecting my laptop and I dont have any issues.  Any clue what it is happening.  When they connected they were showing the latest firmware 4.6.7.13.

Thanks

Message 47 of 142
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hows that hop count doing? 

It was looking really good but then switched to 255 overnight last night. It had stayed on 1 for several days though which is longer than I've seen it do so before. Same situation as before, the same wired satellite, with the Orbi running in AP mode.

With the hop count on 255 this morning, I was definitely seeing reduced speeds from the satellite, maybe 50% of what I've been seeing for the last few days. I rebooted the satellite, hop count went back to 1, and speeds went back to full.

One thing I noticed is that the WAN connection appears to have dropped overnight somehow - on the RBR statistics screen, the WAN link was shown as having an uptime of 8 hours or so but everything else had an uptime of several days. I'm now wondering if there is some connection here. An interrupted internet connection causing problems with the satellite? Seems unlikely. Or maybe some sort of wider problem on the Orbi that's affecting both the WAN link and the satellite? I don't know.

I'm going to try replacing the ethernet cable that links the Orbi and my ISP router, it's pretty much the only cable I haven't swapped out at this point. If that doesn't resolve the problem then I might switch my Orbi to router mode and see if that makes any difference.

Disappointed as I was really hoping the firmware had fixed this one for me - and for a while it was looking like it had!

Message 48 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, keep us posted. You might go head and turn On logging under debug. Also enable WAN/LAN capture as well. Reboot or power off the RBS and then back ON. Start logging on the RBS as well. If we can capture this in logs, we can send this to NG for review. 

@Garwoofoo wrote:

It was looking really good but then switched to 255 overnight last night. It had stayed on 1 for several days though which is longer than I've seen it do so before. Same situation as before, the same wired satellite, with the Orbi running in AP mode.

With the hop count on 255 this morning, I was definitely seeing reduced speeds from the satellite, maybe 50% of what I've been seeing for the last few days. I rebooted the satellite, hop count went back to 1, and speeds went back to full.

One thing I noticed is that the WAN connection appears to have dropped overnight somehow - on the RBR statistics screen, the WAN link was shown as having an uptime of 8 hours or so but everything else had an uptime of several days. I'm now wondering if there is some connection here. An interrupted internet connection causing problems with the satellite? Seems unlikely. Or maybe some sort of wider problem on the Orbi that's affecting both the WAN link and the satellite? I don't know.

I'm going to try replacing the ethernet cable that links the Orbi and my ISP router, it's pretty much the only cable I haven't swapped out at this point. If that doesn't resolve the problem then I might switch my Orbi to router mode and see if that makes any difference.

Disappointed as I was really hoping the firmware had fixed this one for me - and for a while it was looking like it had!

Message 49 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the RBS were updated prior to updating the RBR and make sure the RBS were updated.

Ensure the RBS are wirelessly connected to the RBR first, then while near or in same room as RBR, ethernet connect each RBS to the back of the RBR and check to ensure they get connected via ethernet. 

What CAT# cable are you using? CAT6 is recommended. 

Any LAN switches or patch panels in between the RBS and RBR when they are in there remote locations? 

@jdelgado wrote:

Hi,

I have the RBR853, I updated the firmware to the latest via my phone app and my 2 satellites did not show up, they are connected wired.  I did a factory reset and try to sync them again but nothing.  So I took the satellite closer to the router and re-sync them again at it works, I did it while connected wired and it shows the connection was wired.  I repeat the steps to the other unit and it works but when I move then back to their location and connected them wired they show that they are offiline.  I know cables are good since it was working before and I tested then by connecting my laptop and I dont have any issues.  Any clue what it is happening.  When they connected they were showing the latest firmware 4.6.7.13.

Thanks

Message 50 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7