Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.13 Official Release

TexasEric
Aspirant

Not going well for me...

I have an RBR850 and 2 RBS860s.  Through the web interface, I updated the two satellites.  No clue if it took.  They no longer show up as connected.  I tried re-syncing (using the buttons and bringing them within 6 feet of each other) multiple times with no luck.  I tried syncing with the app.  Still no luck.  I wired one into the RBR and it showed up with all of my other networked device, not as a satellite.  I would like to try and reflash the satellites, but not sure how at this point.  I have not yet flashed the router itself.  Afraid I will take down any connectivity I currently have.  Any suggestions?

Message 76 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have opened up the web pages on each RBS first, staged the FW file on each RBS and sent the FW file on each. After each one reports loading and a progress circle, you can go to the RBRs web page and load and send the RBRs FW file.

Wire connect 1 RBS850 to the RBR. Check the RBRs web page for an IP address seen for the RBS thats connected. Use this IP address to log into the RBS web page. Log in maybe admin and password. Update the RBS FW using the downloaded FW file linked at the top of this post thread. 

If you can get FW sent to both, then go to update the FW on the RBR lastly. Don't wait for the RBS to come back to ready after sending there FW file, just update the RBR. 

"NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON." also seen at the top of this post thread.

@TexasEric wrote:

Not going well for me...

I have an RBR850 and 2 RBS860s.  Through the web interface, I updated the two satellites.  No clue if it took.  They no longer show up as connected.  I tried re-syncing (using the buttons and bringing them within 6 feet of each other) multiple times with no luck.  I tried syncing with the app.  Still no luck.  I wired one into the RBR and it showed up with all of my other networked device, not as a satellite.  I would like to try and reflash the satellites, but not sure how at this point.  I have not yet flashed the router itself.  Afraid I will take down any connectivity I currently have.  Any suggestions?

Message 77 of 142
TexasEric
Aspirant

Thank you.  I have logged in directly to one of the satellites.  It looks like it worked the first time (last night), but I a, redoing it.  Will do the same to the other.

queation... can the router be on the older firmware with satellites on the newer one?  I want to confirm the satellites are back up and running before I update the router?

Message 78 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Thought I recommend after the RBS are in progress of updating, go head and send the RBRs FW file. Once all is back to ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back ON with the RBR first, then RBS lastly. 

Message 79 of 142
TexasEric
Aspirant

Thank you!!  I am up and running.  But, I gotta tell you that neither satellite seemed to want to connect until I upgraded the router.  Once I did that, I was golden.

Thank you very much!!!  It is nice to be back at 100%.

Message 80 of 142
spewak
Luminary

And the important part: Log into the RBS directly to update the firmware. I found out the hard way trying to load 4.6.75 onto it through the RBR page.

Message 81 of 142
donawalt
Virtuoso

@spewak wrote:

And the important part: Log into the RBS directly to update the firmware. I found out the hard way trying to load 4.6.75 onto it through the RBR page.

@spewak are you saying by "log into the RBS directly", to go to its 192.168.1.x page and log in to do the firmware update there, that this is the best way to do firmware updates? I ask because doing them through the orbilogin web page had some challenges and I know not to do it through the Orbi app! Thanks 

Message 82 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

@TexasEric wrote:

Thank you!!  I am up and running.  But, I gotta tell you that neither satellite seemed to want to connect until I upgraded the router.  Once I did that, I was golden.

Thank you very much!!!  It is nice to be back at 100%.

Message 83 of 142
jdelgado
Aspirant

Ok, I am back at home so I can try a few things mention here.  So far I have not been successful in having my RBS to show up on the map after I place them in their location.  I can connect to the via their web interface and it shows "Your WIFI Orbi Satellite connection is up and running" It shows me devices connected.  On the orbi app on the map I see them with a red mark and it says connection type Offline.  They are connected wired and I have check all network cables and they are good and I can ping them from my laptop. This started happening after I updated the firmware.  I reset the router to factory default.  I can see the RBS when I bring them close to the router but once I take them back to the location there were before and connected them wired I dont see them on the map, but again I can connect to their web interface.

Thanks

Message 84 of 142
jdelgado
Aspirant

I wanted to give you an update what I discover.  If I move my RBS to their location and I just power them up with not network cable and wait until they connect showing the blue light, they will show up on the web interface and on the app.  I then connect the cable and they will remain connected and they show up on the app as wired but they do not show up on the web interface.  Very strange, I think it is a bug.  Before this I was connecting the network cable and then powering up.  Anyone notice this.

Thanks

Message 85 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Most of the time, it's recommended to get the system setup with the RBRs web page and and web browser. Wirelessly sync the RBS to the first fully. Once they are since, then ethernet connect them. Once there fully connected. Status should show good when wireless, wired when ethernet connected. Once the RBR and RBS are fully setup and running, then connect the Orbi app and check it's network map tile. 

Message 86 of 142
spewak
Luminary

@donawalt 

Yes, log into the 192.168. address of the RBS and do the firmware update from there. You shouldn't have any issues. I am not sure if this is the preferred method going forward only that with this firmware, it avoids failure, at least for some of us here. As for the app, I dislike using that method to even setup my Orbi. I would rather login from my Desktop pc. Much easier. I don't even have the app downloaded.

Message 87 of 142
NGSvensk
Apprentice

Finally Orbi works like it should  RF Power at 100%.

My RBS has picked up 9 clients and has been stable for a few days.

This took way too long for Netgear to figure out.

Message 88 of 142
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Yeah my system is now completely stable - it's all working really well at the moment.

My Hop Count issue appears to have been resolved. The satellite has stayed at 1 for nearly a week now. The only time I've seen it go to 255 on this version of the firmware appears to have coincided with an internet outage, so it was probably just a one-off. I've also switched out my last remaining CAT5E cable so the whole run of cabling from the router to the satellite is now CAT6, that may have helped things too. But in general it is all working exactly as it should.

The only niggling issue I have is my laptop, which has an Intel AX200 wifi card and connects via Wifi 6, which occasionally loses speed - I'll run a speedtest and see it's only getting 50Mbps or less, rather than the usual 500+. Other devices completely unaffected and running full speed. Disconnecting the laptop from the network and reconnecting immediately restores full speed. But reading around this seems to be something other people have experienced with the AX200 so I'm not blaming the Orbi for this one, it's just a bit of an irritation.

Message 89 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

Was having a problem with my RBR850 rebooting every few days.  Was hoping that this firmware would fix that problem.  Now it reboots twice a day.  Very frustrating.

Message 90 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?

@NJEric wrote:

Was having a problem with my RBR850 rebooting every few days.  Was hoping that this firmware would fix that problem.  Now it reboots twice a day.  Very frustrating.

Message 91 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

Given your email last night, I did shut down the router for about 5 minutes.  First thing this morning, it restarted spontaneously again.  I have 24. GHz set to 10 and 5 GHz set to channel 48.  We're in a suburban area, so not a ton of noisy neighbors.  The RBR850 is connected directly to the ONT (Verizon FIOS) via ethernet - not sure why this would cause a reboot.  In addition to the RBR850, I have two RBS850's to extend the signal to upstairs and in the basement - RBR850 is on the main floor.  I also have AX disabled and 20/40 MHz coexistence turned off as I've heard before those cab causes issues.  The only "non-vanilla" thing about my environment is I do have about 60 devices attached with quite a few IOT devices - security cameras, etc.  All with mainstream providers nest/Google, Hue, etc.

Message 92 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Ok if you have lots of neighbors, lets try turning down the transmit power on the RBR from 100% to 50%. 

Also set channels to 1, 6 or 11. 10 is not a primary channel to use normally. 

What are the CTS values currently?

So when the RBR restarts the front LED turns PINK? 

60 devices. Hmmm. Should be ok however may depend on what there all doing all at once. And they should all be spread out connected to the RBS and RBR. To help narrow this down some, I would turn OFF what you can for devices for a short time frame. Also I would turn OFF the RBS. Go with the RBR alone with limited devices that you can use for a short time frame and see if the RBR continues to reboot it self or not. 

Seen odd issues with ISP Modems and ONTs so can't rule this out just yet. 

What is the model# of the Internet Service Providers ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and set up from scratch been performed yet? 

@NJEric wrote:

Given your email last night, I did shut down the router for about 5 minutes.  First thing this morning, it restarted spontaneously again.  I have 24. GHz set to 10 and 5 GHz set to channel 48.  We're in a suburban area, so not a ton of noisy neighbors.  The RBR850 is connected directly to the ONT (Verizon FIOS) via ethernet - not sure why this would cause a reboot.  In addition to the RBR850, I have two RBS850's to extend the signal to upstairs and in the basement - RBR850 is on the main floor.  I also have AX disabled and 20/40 MHz coexistence turned off as I've heard before those cab causes issues.  The only "non-vanilla" thing about my environment is I do have about 60 devices attached with quite a few IOT devices - security cameras, etc.  All with mainstream providers nest/Google, Hue, etc.

Message 93 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

Its hard to see the model number on the ONT without unmounting it which I would rather not to, but it is a Nokia model of some kind.  One satellite is mounted in the attic, so its well over 30 feet to the router.  The one in the basement might be slightly within the 30 feet range - pretty close though.  The house is about 4000 square feet.  CTS for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is 64.  REALLY appreciate the help.

Message 94 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok... I'm thinking we should focus on getting the RBR stable first and making sure its working well with the ONT. If it's stable at the ONT with just some devices connected, we can graduate adding devices to see if anything else happens or turn on 1 RBS and see how it goes. 

You can try changing the CTS to 500 or 2347 as well though rather you keep 64 for a bit while we test the RBR alone with limited devices connected. Can set Transmit to 50%. Helps with having lots of neighbors near by

IF the RBR still reboots with limited devices and no RBS connected, there could be a problem between the RBR and ONT. 

Would need you to take a look at the RBRs debug page on daily basis for quick glance at CPU and memory usage values and Uptime. IPaddress\debug.htm 

May at some point have you turn on debug logging...

Message 95 of 142
Blem
Aspirant

I have an RBR850 and 3 RBS850’s. One of the Satellites is in an addition that is hardwired to the Router. My daughter is working from home and from time to time she loses WiFi connection, but it comes back on pretty quickly. I’ve noticed lately the same type of thing watching YouTubeTV. That didn’t start until a few weeks ago. I feel like I read somewhere that there has been some complaints of WiFi dropping for short periods of time when a satellite is hard wired. Has anyone else heard of this? I’ve asked neighbors who have the same ISP AND an Orbi RBK753 if they have noticed any drops and they said No. thanks
Message 96 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets start a new thread post in this forum and we'll help you out. 

Thank you. 

@Blem wrote:
I have an RBR850 and 3 RBS850’s. One of the Satellites is in an addition that is hardwired to the Router. My daughter is working from home and from time to time she loses WiFi connection, but it comes back on pretty quickly. I’ve noticed lately the same type of thing watching YouTubeTV. That didn’t start until a few weeks ago. I feel like I read somewhere that there has been some complaints of WiFi dropping for short periods of time when a satellite is hard wired. Has anyone else heard of this? I’ve asked neighbors who have the same ISP AND an Orbi RBK753 if they have noticed any drops and they said No. thanks

Message 97 of 142
dstrausser83
Guide

The past 2 weeks - my router has randomly started rebooting. It would turn off and sometimes take 10 or 15 minutes to turn back on. It's been very frustrating. This was a 100% router based issue not anything to do with our Fios as we connect directly to the ONT and don't have a gateway or anything inbetween. The literal router was shutting down. I'm hoping that this update fixes it as it just became available and we just applied the update.

Message 98 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Be sure to power OFF the ONT and RBR and RBS for 1 minute or longer after applying the FW update. 

If problems continue a factory reset and setup from scratch will be needed. 

it may not be a FW issue on your system, rather a hardware issue. Not everything if FW related.

@dstrausser83 wrote:

The past 2 weeks - my router has randomly started rebooting. It would turn off and sometimes take 10 or 15 minutes to turn back on. It's been very frustrating. This was a 100% router based issue not anything to do with our Fios as we connect directly to the ONT and don't have a gateway or anything inbetween. The literal router was shutting down. I'm hoping that this update fixes it as it just became available and we just applied the update.

Message 99 of 142
Zweiklang
Aspirant

Reporting back after some days of testing with my RBR850+RBS850 with Ethernet backhaul, running in AP mode with 1Gbit/sync fiber over Fritz!Box Modem.
Generally I can say the switching to pink every 24h is history, the whole network is way more stable now.

Nonetheless, I’m facing random complete WiFi dropouts, causing the entire network to be inaccessible for some minutes, even wired devices. Sometimes only restarting the Satellite is helping.
If the satellite is off, everything is perfectly stable, so I have to assume it’s the combo of AP and satellite that make the WiFi break down.

20/40Ghz coexistence is off, but that didn’t solve much. The logs are absolutely useless and don’t contain anything.

I would need help to get this fixed 😞
Message 100 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7