Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.13 Official Release

FURRYe38
Guru

@Zweiklang 

Would you please start a new post in this forum and just copy and paste this last post text. I'd like to begin a targeted problem solving, I hope, post thread to see if we can narrow down where the problem maybe. 

@Zweiklang wrote:
Reporting back after some days of testing with my RBR850+RBS850 with Ethernet backhaul, running in AP mode with 1Gbit/sync fiber over Fritz!Box Modem.
Generally I can say the switching to pink every 24h is history, the whole network is way more stable now.

Nonetheless, I’m facing random complete WiFi dropouts, causing the entire network to be inaccessible for some minutes, even wired devices. Sometimes only restarting the Satellite is helping.
If the satellite is off, everything is perfectly stable, so I have to assume it’s the combo of AP and satellite that make the WiFi break down.

20/40Ghz coexistence is off, but that didn’t solve much. The logs are absolutely useless and don’t contain anything.

I would need help to get this fixed 😞

Message 101 of 142
SORTbum
Aspirant

For Orbi RBR850, does anyone know if this update fixes the no devices connecting to the satellites issue?

Message 102 of 142
51Alan
Guide

Prior to the update, my Orbi app showed no devices connected to any of my satellites, although all of my devices worked and so they clearly were connected.  After the update the app showed the devices as connected.

Message 103 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

Over the past few days, I’ve doing structured troubleshooting to isolate the issue, so its taking a while.  I changed the 2.4 GHz channel to 11 per your recommendation.  It is still rebooting.  Next I completely turned off the attic satellite for a day - same issue.  I do have a few devices connected to the basement satellite via Ethernet.  I moved one of those to connect directly to the router, and now I’m waiting to see if that improves the situation (also, I need this device for when I test turning off the basement satellite).  I did notice something new since the latest firmware upgrade.  On two occasions, I have gone to the basement and found the basement satellite glowing purple.  So, I suspect something is now chronic with that device that could be contributing to the overall instability.  I do a quick reboot to remedy that.  More to come…

Message 104 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu might swap RBS locations with each other to see if that problem follows the one RBS or remains at this one location. 

@NJEric wrote:

Over the past few days, I’ve doing structured troubleshooting to isolate the issue, so its taking a while.  I changed the 2.4 GHz channel to 11 per your recommendation.  It is still rebooting.  Next I completely turned off the attic satellite for a day - same issue.  I do have a few devices connected to the basement satellite via Ethernet.  I moved one of those to connect directly to the router, and now I’m waiting to see if that improves the situation (also, I need this device for when I test turning off the basement satellite).  I did notice something new since the latest firmware upgrade.  On two occasions, I have gone to the basement and found the basement satellite glowing purple.  So, I suspect something is now chronic with that device that could be contributing to the overall instability.  I do a quick reboot to remedy that.  More to come…

Message 105 of 142
tjtrimble
Luminary

I finally took the plunge and loaded the new firmware.  No issues thus far after 48 hours.  4.6.7 seems run with less memory/processer utilization than the beta 4.6.6.  Hopefully NG will never leave us hanging again for nearly 6 months.  If things stay stable, I will consider another NG product when it comes time to upgrade.  However, I am no longer a NG fanboy.  Thank you to the community for the help and making beta firmware available.....you definitely helped it hurt less from the screwing I received from NG!

Message 106 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its working better for you. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

fyi, this was not a beta, this was official released FW. 

Enjoy. 📡

Message 107 of 142
tjtrimble
Luminary

Thanks @FURRYe38 , perhaps the better phrase for 4.6.6.11 & 4.6.7.5 is "not publicly released" or "unofficial" firmware rather than beta.  I know 4.6.7.13 is an official release.  Thanks again for your support of the community.

Message 108 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 109 of 142
Validus
Luminary

Even this version of Firmware gives me the DNS issues. Popping up for a split second.

This time the message is "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

It tends to display for a moment on loading various webpages, when multitasking, such as if using another web-browser (Google Chrome) streaming Youtube and the other web-browser (Microsoft Edge) to Google search. It will display on Microsoft Edge the most, when opening in a new tab or during a redirect such as a login or logout.

The NETGEAR Orbi RBK852 AX6000 has been doing this since purchased and no longer router does it. Ruled out Operating System, Web-Browsers, and everything else. Yet it doesn't seem to be an actual error as such either. It just displays and then reloads the webpage normally like nothing happened.

I think my system however is blocking trackers, such as: https://ssl.google-analytics.com/__utm.gif 

That displays as "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" for me too.

Yet why does this mesh router display that error for the entire webpage, then refresh the load, rather than just ignore/skip it like other routers do?

Message 110 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Please start a new thread so we can begin to troubleshoot your issue and see if we can narrow down where it maybe coming from.  

@Validus wrote:

Even this version of Firmware gives me the DNS issues. Popping up for a split second.

This time the message is "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

It tends to display for a moment on loading various webpages, when multitasking, such as if using another web-browser (Google Chrome) streaming Youtube and the other web-browser (Microsoft Edge) to Google search. It will display on Microsoft Edge the most, when opening in a new tab or during a redirect such as a login or logout.

The NETGEAR Orbi RBK852 AX6000 has been doing this since purchased and no longer router does it. Ruled out Operating System, Web-Browsers, and everything else. Yet it doesn't seem to be an actual error as such either. It just displays and then reloads the webpage normally like nothing happened.

I think my system however is blocking trackers, such as: https://ssl.google-analytics.com/__utm.gif 

That displays as "ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED" for me too.

Yet why does this mesh router display that error for the entire webpage, then refresh the load, rather than just ignore/skip it like other routers do?

Message 111 of 142
dbjoye
Star

I'm still having the random drops with RBR850 and 2 RBS850s. None of the firmware updates have solved this issue after 5+ months. I'm ready to give up on Orbi. 

Message 112 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

Please start a new thread so we can begin to troubleshoot your issue and see if we can narrow down where it maybe coming from.  

Im putting mine back online to see if I can help with this as well. 

@dbjoye wrote:

I'm still having the random drops with RBR850 and 2 RBS850s. None of the firmware updates have solved this issue after 5+ months. I'm ready to give up on Orbi. 

Message 113 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

Hi there.  Back again.  I've still been working through this and testing.  I'm back in the office, so that slows things down.  Ultimately, I've shutdown each RBS and both RBS at the same time, and the RBR is still rebooting.  I've just now changed the CTS for both frequencies to 500.  Let's see if this makes things more stable.  I did turn on debug several weeks ago, so it should still be up and running - unless the firmware upgrade reset that.

Message 114 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Keep us posted on this. Were tracking an issue with some RBRs rebooting on there own randomly. 

@NJEric wrote:

Hi there.  Back again.  I've still been working through this and testing.  I'm back in the office, so that slows things down.  Ultimately, I've shutdown each RBS and both RBS at the same time, and the RBR is still rebooting.  I've just now changed the CTS for both frequencies to 500.  Let's see if this makes things more stable.  I did turn on debug several weeks ago, so it should still be up and running - unless the firmware upgrade reset that.

Message 115 of 142
NJEric
Aspirant

I'm a Verizon FIOS customer.  It's a Nokia ONT.  not clear to me what the model number is. Sticker on the side starts with Nokia P/N: 3MV0073.....  MRev 01 ICS 01.  Hopefully that's helpful.

Message 116 of 142
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

Updated thereafter the satellites refused to connect. Did a factory reset, satellites connected fine. Now satellites refuse to connect again.

The weird thing is, all my personal devices connect just fine to the router, even from the other end of the house.

I only received these devices 2 days ago as replacements for some ASUS gear that had firmware issues for 2 years.

I'm now wondering if I've made a huge mistake.

Message 117 of 142
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

Updated thereafter the satellites refused to connect. Did a factory reset, satellites connected fine. Now satellites refuse to connect again.

The weird thing is, all my personal devices connect just fine to the router, even from the other end of the house.

I only received these devices 2 days ago as replacements for some ASUS gear that had firmware issues for 2 years.

Update: Got on to support who walked me through resetting, and re-adding the satellites. The process wasn't documented anywhere I could find but it worked! Let's see how it goes!

Message 118 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

Update: Got on to support who walked me through resetting, and re-adding the satellites. The process wasn't documented anywhere I could find but it worked! Let's see how it goes!

Message 119 of 142
Mikey94025
Hero

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

So others who stumble upon this post know what to do - Was the satellite reset procedure similar to what's documented here?  https://kb.netgear.com/000062566/The-router-and-satellite-of-my-Orbi-RBK13-are-not-syncing-what-do-I...

Message 120 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

This article applies to:

Message 121 of 142
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

@Mikey94025 wrote:

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

So others who stumble upon this post know what to do - Was the satellite reset procedure similar to what's documented here?  https://kb.netgear.com/000062566/The-router-and-satellite-of-my-Orbi-RBK13-are-not-syncing-what-do-I...

The process was:

• Ensure the satellite is back in the position you want it (I had moved it closer because that's what the docs told me to do)
  • Reset the satellite by pushing in the reset button for 1 minute
  • Wait until the satellite is solid blue
  • Press and hold the sync button on the satellite for 1 minute
  • Wait until the satellite is flashing white
  • Press and hold the sync button on the router for 1 minute
  • Use the web interface to re-add the satellite
Message 122 of 142
haruki_zaemon
Aspirant

@haruki_zaemon wrote:

Update: Got on to support who walked me through resetting, and re-adding the satellites.

The process was:

• Ensure the satellite is back in the position you want it (I had moved it closer because that's what the docs told me to do)
  • Reset the satellite by pushing in the reset button for 1 minute
  • Wait until the satellite is solid blue
  • Press and hold the sync button on the satellite for 1 minute
  • Wait until the satellite is flashing white
  • Press and hold the sync button on the router for 1 minute
  • Use the web interface to re-add the satellite

So far so good. Signal strength to the indoor satellite and to the one about the same distance but across the property to the "granny flat" seems pretty good. The latter being more variable AFAICT but that makes sense—it has to go through a brick wall.

The desktop cabled in to the indoor satellite is getting close to peak throughput with very little additional latency. Amazing given it's using the wireless backhaul.

My laptop has been doing a bit of switching between the router and the indoor satellite which is annoying but actually, if not for the additional latency during hangouts, zoom, etc. I probably wouldn't have noticed anyway. Not sure why it would but my guess is noise.

Speaking of noise, I think if there was one thing I'd like, it's for the devices to be able to operate on unused channels > 48. We're not in a super crowded space but there's enough around us that noise is probably the single biggest contributor at this point.

Message 123 of 142
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

I just updated to this like two hours ago. Weird it's been out for over a month now and I was never offered the upgrade. Perhaps because I was using that other firmware that was newer than the official release but had only been offered to some customers who had issues?

Anyway just updated manually doing the RBS first and the RBR lastly. Crossing fingers because with that firmware I was having  a stable system.

I'll report if I come into any issues.

Message 124 of 142
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you power OFF the Orbi system with the ISP modem for minute then back ON with the modem first. then RBR then RBS lastly if you haven't done this already. 

@Ely wrote:

I just updated to this like two hours ago. Weird it's been out for over a month now and I was never offered the upgrade. Perhaps because I was using that other firmware that was newer than the official release but had only been offered to some customers who had issues?

Anyway just updated manually doing the RBS first and the RBR lastly. Crossing fingers because with that firmware I was having  a stable system.

I'll report if I come into any issues.

Message 125 of 142
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7