Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

No Release Notes at this time. I'll see if I can get some.

Download Link:

https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/#300000000xsV/a/8b000000saFy/gnaaQgriSv_NWgvrN.dvn786cl4eG45R2....

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/,

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product page.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. After the FW files are loaded and the RBS and RBR are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 2 minutes then back ON.

Unplug the power adapters from the power wall outlet. 

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

This article applies to:

RBK852
RBK853
RBK854
RBR850
RBS850

Let us know how it works for you. 

Message 1 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

Thanks for posting.  Let us know on the release notes...I'm nervous to do another upgrade since the 4.6.6.11 has been solid for me thus far after months of fustration.

Message 2 of 460
cdp1276
Star

How long will it take for this to show up in the mobile app (not there as an option now) to update natively vs download and update?

Message 3 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Don't know. This version of FW is mainly to get users up and running better due to all the problems and complaints users have been discussing. Were hoping this new version brings stability and better operation to all. I persume NG will publish this or something later. NG is looking for some feedback on this from the community. 

Currently users can manually download and manually install the FW. Links in the 1st post give information on how to update FW on the RBS then the RBR. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

How long will it take for this to show up in the mobile app (not there as an option now) to update natively vs download and update?

Message 4 of 460
cdp1276
Star

Understand but I think this is a key distinction to update the FW in the way 95% of NG customers will, which is more automated through the app and even the https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbr850.aspx#download official support page doesn't show this version yet.

Message 5 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Release Notes:

Enhancement: Updated wireless parameters as suggested by RF Team

Bug Fixes:
Unexpected reboot of Orbi Router.
Issue with IPTV/Multicast when PPPoE is enabled on WAN
Logs (GUI) only shows the activity that happened within the last 3 hours, not the entire router up-time logs.
Guest WiFi disconnects internet after 1 minute
RBR850 LAN port 1 became inaccessible as ethernet backhaul in AP mode
Potential satellite connection issues
Observed crash in RBS750
Factory Reset on Orbi GUI sometimes not working
Orbi App cannot connect to router when configured LAN IP address is 198.19.0.1
GUI Speed Test and Orbi app Speed Test do not show the Download Speed. (Community, Please confirm this works.)
WAN connection lost after 24 hours with magenta LED on router. (Community, Please confirm this works.)

Message 6 of 460
elayton28
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Don't know. This version of FW is mainly to get users up and running better due to all the problems and complaints users have been discussing. Were hoping this new version brings stability and better operation to all. I persume NG will publish this or something later. NG is looking for some feedback on this from the community. 

Currently users can manually download and manually install the FW. Links in the 1st post give information on how to update FW on the RBS then the RBR. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

When you say things like "we're" hoping...it sure makes it sound like you work for NG.

Just saying...

Message 7 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

We're not employees. Just saying.

Message 8 of 460
ElCapo
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

well...... there is the line right there:

Potential satellite connection issues

let me tell NG, they are a lot more than Potential 🙂

just saying LOL

Message 9 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

So load it up and as the last line mentions, "Let us know how it works for you." 

Everyones has been asking for new FW, here it is. "Just Sayin."

Message 10 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

I've had really good results with the unofficial 4.6.6.11 release so I'm very hopeful for this slightly newer, more official version.

I'll install it tomorrow morning and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks as always to @FURRYe38 for all these efforts on our behalf.

Message 11 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here. v11 has been stable on mine. No complaints. 

Hoping v5 here will be same if not better. I'll be loading mine up this evening or tomorrow. Very curious about it. 

Message 12 of 460
Dd852
Luminary

Thanks for this. I felt a bit nervous about trying as the 4.6.6... had been so good, but decided to do my part in testing. The install was very smooth. I think they have definitely improved the wireless links between router and satellites. I'm getting faster throughput than before. So far so good.  

Message 13 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Keep an eye on things. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 460
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the heads up @FURRYe38 , I upgraded like an hour ago, so far no issues, but that's too early to tell lol. Let's see how it goes once I start  streaming 4K HDR later on today and in the days ahead.

I upgraded the Satellite first, Then the main unit. Then I power cycled everything by powering off the Satellite, then the main unit, then my Comcast XB7 gateway (In that order). I then waited like 4 minutes and proceeded to do the reverse and turn everything back on.

Cheers!

Message 15 of 460
McLong
Apprentice

Thanks for the material @FURRYe38. I went ahead and installed the FW on an RBR853 system using the standard procedures; RBS followed by the RBR. After unplugging everything for two minutes I went ahead using the standard power on sequence. So far it appears the settings under the Advanced/Wireless section have stayed user defined. The installation process was seamless but the satellites appeared to take longer to connect than previously experienced but I did not time it to confirm. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Message 16 of 460
elayton28
Apprentice

Has this offically been forced, I mean released, to all users?  

I honestly don't want to take the time to mess with this until an official release is provided.

Message 17 of 460
McLong
Apprentice

Not officially in production so if your system is working without issues then it's probably best not to beta test.
Message 18 of 460
elayton28
Apprentice

@McLong wrote:
Not officially in production so if your system is working without issues then it's probably best not to beta test.

Thanks, I'll check back when officially forced upon users.

LOL is anyone's system working without issues unless hacked back to an old firmware blocking updates?

Message 19 of 460
Dd852
Luminary

Things fine after about 12 hours. The only thing (that may or may not be related to updating to this version) is one of my satellites went out of sync overnight. I resynced manualy and now it is fine. This particular satellite had real problems with an earlier firmware but was totally fine after a 30/30/30 reset and then later upgrading to 4.6.6.X after - this was a satellite that was "added on", i.e. I had bought a two pack and then added this one on as an extra and I think that has always made it slightly problematic. 

Message 20 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@McLong wrote:

the satellites appeared to take longer to connect than previously experienced but I did not time it to confirm.

I also noticed this: the "blinking white" phase of the satellite sync seemed to last much longer than before on both of my satellites, although they're working fine now that's completed.

No problems to report so far. The Device Summary screen on orbilogin.com is wildly inaccurate - it's reporting a lot of my devices as Wired when I know they're not - but that's nothing new, it's not worked properly on any Orbi firmware I've tried and it's not something I use regularly anyway.

Message 21 of 460
Flupke
Guide

The URL to download that firmware is not an official netgear one: it is a file shared through SalesForce.com hence probably only aimed at specific customers (either as something experimental or fixing a user-specific issue, ...hoping that it is not a hack).

I find the thread very interesting but I am personally definitely not going to try to setup that firmware without having some officialization by NetGear first. Up to you.

Message 22 of 460
scorn242
Apprentice

Thanks for the files across the two threads for each product line. Diving in. You offer solutions vs conspiracy theories of employment alignment. Thank you for being helpful and mature.

Message 23 of 460
Chuck_M
Mentor

Many must be taking this good advice because this message comes up when I try and use the download link.

Is there any alternative hosting link?

Screenshot 2022-01-08 075626.png

Appreciate this timely update.

Message 24 of 460
scorn242
Apprentice

I can share via google if you think that would be helpful?

Message 25 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7