Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

Here is the post that I spoke about in my prior post....

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Found-a-neat-way-to-connect-my-new-d... 

If your devices are Wyze cameras - here is another post about those specifically:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-to-temporarily-disable-the-the-5GHZ-network-as-to-allo... 

Message 151 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

Other question regarding the available functionalities :

Is there a reason why we can't enable mac address filtering when in AP mode ? This is available only if I use Orbi as a router (not AP).

My ISP router allows the mac address filtering but only on its own WiFi network, so mine is disabled because I use Orbi now.

Message 152 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

unfortunately this solution is not working when you have an iPhone.

It would be great if Netgear allowed to reduce the power of the 5Ghz to Zero % or 1% ..., because sometimes 25% is still too high

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/Found-a-neat-way-to-connect-my-new-d... 

If your devices are Wyze cameras - here is another post about those specifically:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-to-temporarily-disable-the-the-5GHZ-network-as-to-allo... 

Message 153 of 460
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@mikijoe1 wrote:

Is there a reason why we can't enable mac address filtering when in AP mode ? This is available only if I use Orbi as a router (not AP).

My ISP router allows the mac address filtering but only on its own WiFi network, so mine is disabled because I use Orbi now.

MAC Filtering is a ROUTER function, and since the Orbi is in AP mode, most of the ROUTER functions are disabled.   

Message 154 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@mikijoe1 wrote:

MAC Filtering is a ROUTER function, and since the Orbi is in AP mode, most of the ROUTER functions are disabled.   

Ok that's what I thought, but by the past I had a Cisco Aironet access point, there was a security section were I had added some mac addresses, there were stored locally in the AP, that's why I wondered if that would be possible in Orbi products

Message 155 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

For your information, the support told me that the guarantee wil not be affected by the beta firmware, they also provided the following link (which is not exactly the same as the fist post here.

https://ntgr.my.salesforce.com/sfc/p/300000000xsV/a/8b000000sanl/bjfcLfewVXC7JeaglEIEGFstFTzxR27Bs0f...

Message 156 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@mikijoe1 wrote:

It would be great if Netgear allowed to reduce the power of the 5Ghz to Zero % or 1% ..., because sometimes 25% is still too high

To help with this, be sure to turn OFF all RBS. Then reduce the power to 25%, you'll have to walk the iPhone out to a good distance to help force the iphone to connect to the 2.4Ghz radio signal set for 100%. Be sure to turn OFF the iPhones wifi radio for 5 seconds then back on as well. It should connect at 2.4Ghz.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

Message 157 of 460
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@mikijoe1 wrote:

Note sure what version of iPhone you have - but maybe try what is described here:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/11/04/iphone-personal-hotspot-wi-fi-bands-tutorial/ 

Message 158 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

@TC_in_Montana wrote:

@mikijoe1 wrote:

Note sure what version of iPhone you have - but maybe try what is described here:

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/11/04/iphone-personal-hotspot-wi-fi-bands-tutorial/ 

thank you but this procedure is to share the Iphone connection (carrier) by creating a dedicated WiFi network (hotspot), not using Orbi Wifi

Message 159 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

So ending my 8 Series run on a high note. 13 days of good service:

13DaysUpTime.png

Hoping this is NG going into a better direction for everyone. 

Off to test a CBR750 now. 

Message 160 of 460
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Yes @FURRYe38 , it definitely is more stable than the official release, and yes, I have been troubleshooting a lot. Still several more days and no more issues so far. I'm almost about to do the victory dance!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 161 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 162 of 460
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Yes my man @SW_, I love the new setup and to answer your question, yes it is exactly same cable. It was the XB7 for sure not communicating properly with the Orbi when I had it connected to one of its 1GbE ports, while having my main desktop connected to its 2.5GbE port. 

Once I started utilizing just the 2.5 port by connecting my new switch to it then from there the Orbi and other devices everything has been rock solid and stable. As soon as I can get my hands on a proper 2.5GbE modem I'm returning the XB7 to Comcast. Obviously it doesn't know how to work properly on my setup as  a router. 

It's a pitty this Orbi doesn't have more than one 2.5Gb port on it, if it did I wouldn't have to deal with the switch or needing to have it in AP mode.

Cheers!

Message 163 of 460
nexus_orbi
Aspirant

Have an RBK853, usually setup in a daisy chain configuration due to the house shape being an extended L.  RBR is Ethernet connected to the fibre router, and is configured as a router with double-NAT (hasn't caused any problems).  RBSs are WiFi connected.

Was running the old production release (4.6.3.16?) until last weekend.  It had been pretty stable in the past but the network connections were becoming intermittent so decided to upgrade to 4.6.7.5.

Installed it manually to the RBSs, rebooted them with a good 5 minutes delay, then the RBR, again with a reboot.  Then for good measure rebooted the lot, started with the fibre router, RBR, then RBSs.  This is how they're normally recycled and it usually works well.  It did in this case too, and the installation was completed successfully.

The household is mostly Macs and iPhones.  Some SONOS, smart TVs, etc.

My wife has a Chromebook for work.  Whenever she starts it up, after about 10-15 seconds, both RBSs flash white, and stop working.  The RBR is fine, and she can move to a different room, closer to it, and continue working OK.  The only solution seems to be to recycle the setup again.  But the problem is reproducible, and it happens every time.

Does anyone else have this problem with 4.6.7.5?

Or experienced it with the previous betas?  It wasn't a problem with the production release.

Any ideas how to investigate and resolve this (I'm out of support)?

Message 164 of 460
rr20552
Apprentice

For those of you who are experiencing white flashing (reboots) on their satellites I have found that lowering the CTS/RTS to below the maximum of 2347 (i.e actually enabling CTS/RTS flow control) resolved my issue even with the previous official release.

I have mine set to 2304 and the satellites have been rock solid ever since.
Message 165 of 460
LeviB
Aspirant

I installed this new FM, and now NOTHING is connected to my satelite on 2.4ghz  and everything is on my router and it never did this before.  What should my next steps be?  I power cycyled everything after the FW updated and this is result.  all channels are on and no setting have been changed.

Message 166 of 460
NGSvensk
Apprentice

That is what most of us are seeing.  Try adjusting the power level, but alll in all Netgears implimentation of mesh, is currently not working will the most of us.

Message 167 of 460
Mikey94025
Hero

@nexus_orbi wrote:

My wife has a Chromebook for work.  Whenever she starts it up, after about 10-15 seconds, both RBSs flash white, and stop working.  The RBR is fine, and she can move to a different room, closer to it, and continue working OK.  The only solution seems to be to recycle the setup again.  But the problem is reproducible, and it happens every time.

How very odd.  Try "forget" the wireless network connection on the Chromebook and establish it again (i.e., force a fresh DHCP request).  This will ensure that it is not creating an IP address conflict or something like that.

Message 168 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

I recommend installing FW to the RBS first then RBR lastly. After the FW is loaded on units are back to ready. POWER OFF the ISP Modem/ONT and RBR and RBS for 1 minute or more, then back ON with the ISP services, then RBR and wait for ready, then RBS one at a time. Then check and test the system. If problems are seen, then a full on factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

If your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

I ran 13 days with zero issues with v5 and RBS flasing anything. 

Manual channels 1 and 40, 40Mhz only. CTS 64, RBS wireless and wired. 50% Transmit power on the RBR. Traffic Meter enabled set to no limit. 

@nexus_orbi wrote:

Have an RBK853, usually setup in a daisy chain configuration due to the house shape being an extended L.  RBR is Ethernet connected to the fibre router, and is configured as a router with double-NAT (hasn't caused any problems).  RBSs are WiFi connected.

Was running the old production release (4.6.3.16?) until last weekend.  It had been pretty stable in the past but the network connections were becoming intermittent so decided to upgrade to 4.6.7.5.

Installed it manually to the RBSs, rebooted them with a good 5 minutes delay, then the RBR, again with a reboot.  Then for good measure rebooted the lot, started with the fibre router, RBR, then RBSs.  This is how they're normally recycled and it usually works well.  It did in this case too, and the installation was completed successfully.

The household is mostly Macs and iPhones.  Some SONOS, smart TVs, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem with 4.6.7.5?

Or experienced it with the previous betas?  It wasn't a problem with the production release.

Any ideas how to investigate and resolve this (I'm out of support)?

Message 169 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

I'd reboot the RBR leaving the RBS online and see if any devices migrate to the RBS. It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@LeviB wrote:

I installed this new FM, and now NOTHING is connected to my satelite on 2.4ghz  and everything is on my router and it never did this before.  What should my next steps be?  I power cycyled everything after the FW updated and this is result.  all channels are on and no setting have been changed.

Message 170 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Mine ran with the default CTS 64 for 13 days and saw no issues as well. 

@rr20552 wrote:
For those of you who are experiencing white flashing (reboots) on their satellites I have found that lowering the CTS/RTS to below the maximum of 2347 (i.e actually enabling CTS/RTS flow control) resolved my issue even with the previous official release.

I have mine set to 2304 and the satellites have been rock solid ever since.

Message 171 of 460
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Ely wrote:

Yes my man @SW_, I love the new setup and to answer your question, yes it is exactly same cable. It was the XB7 for sure not communicating properly with the Orbi when I had it connected to one of its 1GbE ports, while having my main desktop connected to its 2.5GbE port. 

Once I started utilizing just the 2.5 port by connecting my new switch to it then from there the Orbi and other devices everything has been rock solid and stable. As soon as I can get my hands on a proper 2.5GbE modem I'm returning the XB7 to Comcast. Obviously it doesn't know how to work properly on my setup as  a router. 

It's a pitty this Orbi doesn't have more than one 2.5Gb port on it, if it did I wouldn't have to deal with the switch or needing to have it in AP mode.

Cheers!

Yeah, sounds like a compatibility issue between XB7 and RBR850 that's been resolved with the switch. It makes one wonder if the Orbi product line is certified by Comcast. It's also a pitty that the RBR750 is NOT capable of 2.5Gbps!

Message 172 of 460
jkk4_1998
Apprentice

So, currently running 4.6.3.16 thru my RBK852"s. I've noticed that this version doesn't seem to handle my satellite very well. Most everything seems to be running thru my Router, whereas I've got my Ring Pro, 6 feet from the satellite and it still wants to run thru the router instead, which is about 25 feet away. 

I've heard the FW 4.6.6.11 uses the satellite better than the newer 4.6.7.5. 

All seems normal when I go to orbiligin.com. Satellite is synced perfectly and I've made no other modifications to my settings.

Do you think I should give the 4.6.6.11 FW a try?

Message 173 of 460
mikijoe1
Tutor

@jkk4_1998 wrote:

So, currently running 4.6.3.16 thru my RBK852"s. I've noticed that this version doesn't seem to handle my satellite very well. Most everything seems to be running thru my Router, whereas I've got my Ring Pro, 6 feet from the satellite and it still wants to run thru the router instead, which is about 25 feet away. 

I've heard the FW 4.6.6.11 uses the satellite better than the newer 4.6.7.5. 

All seems normal when I go to orbiligin.com. Satellite is synced perfectly and I've made no other modifications to my settings.

Do you think I should give the 4.6.6.11 FW a try?

I had many issues with the default firmware, si I have upgraded to 4.6.7.5 (which is not officialy released), I has fixed some bugs (ethernet backhaul in port 1 of the router in AP mode was not working). 
Since, I have many disconnections without any reason, My PC, my macbook are loosing the Wifi very ofter, so now I give up, I lost too much time on this, I work from home and I can't wait for a stable firmware to be released.

I though buying the most expensive system would be the best but, it looks like this product is not mature yet...

Parcel are on the way back to amazon.

Message 174 of 460
rr20552
Apprentice

In my opinion v4.6.6.11 with CTS/RTS enabled (i.e < max value) seems to be the most solid combination when it comes to satellite stability.

I was given a debug version a couple of months ago but honestly haven’t had a single instance of satellite drop out / reboot since.
Message 175 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7