Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried v5 yet? 

Mine ran for 13 days with no issues on v5. 

@jkk4_1998 wrote:

So, currently running 4.6.3.16 thru my RBK852"s. I've noticed that this version doesn't seem to handle my satellite very well. Most everything seems to be running thru my Router, whereas I've got my Ring Pro, 6 feet from the satellite and it still wants to run thru the router instead, which is about 25 feet away. 

I've heard the FW 4.6.6.11 uses the satellite better than the newer 4.6.7.5. 

All seems normal when I go to orbiligin.com. Satellite is synced perfectly and I've made no other modifications to my settings.

Do you think I should give the 4.6.6.11 FW a try?

Message 176 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

@rr20552 wrote:
In my opinion v4.6.6.11 with CTS/RTS enabled (i.e < max value) seems to be the most solid combination when it comes to satellite stability.

I was given a debug version a couple of months ago but honestly haven’t had a single instance of satellite drop out / reboot since.

I agree, 4.6.6.11 has been rock solid for me.  The only question I have is about the memory usage....seems to be always using more and more.   It started out using about 300MB and has grown about 10MB a day.  I'm not sure if its something I need to be concerned about. 

2022-01-24_9-59-23.jpg

Message 177 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What kind of logging do you have enabled? 

@tjtrimble 

Message 178 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What kind of logging do you have enabled? 

@tjtrimble 

Hmm, it looks like all the log options are checked under the Admin->Logs section are all turned on (likely by default).  The 2 options in the Debug page under the Debug Log Capture are unchecked.  I am using my ORBI in AP mode, so I am not sure what it would be logging other than login attempts to the router.

Message 179 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting...

Mine ran at 300Mpbs range for 13 days:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

However mine was in router mode and I believe I de-selected most of the logging options aswell. 

Try delecting the logging options and see if this changes anything your seeing on the Memory Usage...

@tjtrimble wrote:

Hmm, it looks like all the log options are checked under the Admin->Logs section are all turned on (likely by default).  The 2 options in the Debug page under the Debug Log Capture are unchecked.  I am using my ORBI in AP mode, so I am not sure what it would be logging other than login attempts to the router.

Message 180 of 460
HWI0031
Guide

@mikijoe1 wrote:

@jkk4_1998 wrote:

So, currently running 4.6.3.16 thru my RBK852"s. I've noticed that this version doesn't seem to handle my satellite very well. Most everything seems to be running thru my Router, whereas I've got my Ring Pro, 6 feet from the satellite and it still wants to run thru the router instead, which is about 25 feet away. 

I've heard the FW 4.6.6.11 uses the satellite better than the newer 4.6.7.5. 

All seems normal when I go to orbiligin.com. Satellite is synced perfectly and I've made no other modifications to my settings.

Do you think I should give the 4.6.6.11 FW a try?

I had many issues with the default firmware, si I have upgraded to 4.6.7.5 (which is not officialy released), I has fixed some bugs (ethernet backhaul in port 1 of the router in AP mode was not working). 
Since, I have many disconnections without any reason, My PC, my macbook are loosing the Wifi very ofter, so now I give up, I lost too much time on this, I work from home and I can't wait for a stable firmware to be released.

I though buying the most expensive system would be the best but, it looks like this product is not mature yet...

Parcel are on the way back to amazon.

Same here, decided to unplug it all last week (no returns possible after 3 months).

AX XT8 ordered, installed and working stable out of the box. Has a lot of options you've asked for: Acces control, Disable specific radio's, binding clients to specific AP's, ...

After three months of messing with the network now done in 2 days. Slightly slower but better coverage.

I just could not get the Orbi stable in AP mode and I need AP mode here. Even retructured the network to get is stable, did help but not enough and should not be necessary (and wasn't as it now turns out with different hardware).

Homekit is finally stable and the household is happy. Expensive decision but glad i finally pulled the plug.

Message 181 of 460
Chr1st0ph
Aspirant

Hi all, Using a RBK853 and nothing but issues with the WIFI constantly dropping at random intervals, like everybody else is reporting.

I am interested in trying the V4.6.6.11 FW.

Is there anybody who is able to share the link for the V4.6.6.11 FW?  I have upgraded to the V4.6.7.5 FW and im still having MASSIVE dropouts and its now really impacting my job, as i cant work from home on WIFI having it dropping in calls constantly on MS Teams etc and uploading docs to works cloud.

Would really appreciate the help.  Have been a long time reader but never posted.

Message 182 of 460
scorn242
Apprentice

I setup a share for both non-prod FW versions in this very thread. 

Message 183 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Was a power off and back ON performed after the FW was updated? 

How about a factory reset and setup from scratch with v5 loaded?

@Chr1st0ph wrote:

Hi all, Using a RBK853 and nothing but issues with the WIFI constantly dropping at random intervals, like everybody else is reporting.

I am interested in trying the V4.6.6.11 FW.

Is there anybody who is able to share the link for the V4.6.6.11 FW?  I have upgraded to the V4.6.7.5 FW and im still having MASSIVE dropouts and its now really impacting my job, as i cant work from home on WIFI having it dropping in calls constantly on MS Teams etc and uploading docs to works cloud.

Would really appreciate the help.  Have been a long time reader but never posted.

Message 184 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

Just a follow up on 4.6.6.11.  Memory usage is still increasing on the router with all the logging turned off.  I'm at 559MB this morning.  Both satellites seem to be holding steady at 324/327MB.  Any idea what function utilizes the memory other than log storage & configuration?
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Interesting...

Mine ran at 300Mpbs range for 13 days:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

However mine was in router mode and I believe I de-selected most of the logging options aswell. 

Try delecting the logging options and see if this changes anything your seeing on the Memory Usage...

@tjtrimble wrote:

Message 185 of 460
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you ethernet connect the RBS to the RBR? Can you access it's web page at all using the IP address it may get from the RBR? 

@Pura_Vida wrote:

I am back to running this FW version, since Netgear support is recommending I try it again.  But as a result of going back and forth, I seem to have "bricked" the second satellite (flashing white), and I can't restore it via factory reset.  Netgear support is recommending I restore it via FTFP, but I think I'll need to call them back on this, since the instructions online don't include FTFP software that works for MacOS Big Sur.

If anyone has any suggestions or a link for the right FTFP softare and instructions to restore my second satellite, I'll owe you my most sincere thanks.

If you drop into terminal and type "man tftp" you don't get a man page?

I'm on Monterey - don't have any Big Sur systems any longer - and it's there for me.

If you really don't have a tftp command, you can probably install it via homebrew.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 186 of 460
VerneArase
Apprentice

@nexus_orbi wrote:

Have an RBK853, usually setup in a daisy chain configuration due to the house shape being an extended L.  RBR is Ethernet connected to the fibre router, and is configured as a router with double-NAT (hasn't caused any problems).  RBSs are WiFi connected.

Was running the old production release (4.6.3.16?) until last weekend.  It had been pretty stable in the past but the network connections were becoming intermittent so decided to upgrade to 4.6.7.5.

Installed it manually to the RBSs, rebooted them with a good 5 minutes delay, then the RBR, again with a reboot.  Then for good measure rebooted the lot, started with the fibre router, RBR, then RBSs.  This is how they're normally recycled and it usually works well.  It did in this case too, and the installation was completed successfully.

The household is mostly Macs and iPhones.  Some SONOS, smart TVs, etc.

My wife has a Chromebook for work.  Whenever she starts it up, after about 10-15 seconds, both RBSs flash white, and stop working.  The RBR is fine, and she can move to a different room, closer to it, and continue working OK.  The only solution seems to be to recycle the setup again.  But the problem is reproducible, and it happens every time.

Does anyone else have this problem with 4.6.7.5?

Or experienced it with the previous betas?  It wasn't a problem with the production release.

Any ideas how to investigate and resolve this (I'm out of support)?

Ouch.

Anyone using a Dell Latitude 7480 under Windows 10 with 4.6.7.5?

My wife is working from home and if I updated and it adversely affected her work connections things would not go well for me ⚰️.

Reason I ask is when I first installed the RBK853 mesh, I had to disable 802.11ax (Wifi 6) just to get her laptop working with the network. Her ID has no admin privileges, so I couldn't put on maintenance. We actually had to have a work tech to remotely log in to put on a patch to the wifi drivers on the machine.

This machine is a dinosaur (relatively speaking), and I've got to make sure it will run with the new firmware before I install it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Message 187 of 460
Pura_Vida
Tutor

I un-bricked the satellite.  I tried connecting it to my iMac via ethernet, and I tried connecting it to the RBR850 via ethernet.  Then, on a whim (and after several days of a blinking light staring at me), I connected the RBS to BOTH the RBR and my iMac.  So, I don't know if one, the other, or both caused it to come back to life... but it's back!  I upgraded it to this beta firmware, so everything is running on the same.

Throughout all of this, I'm coming to the realization that achieving 50% of my wired speed just isn't possible with these mesh solutions unless I'm in very close proximity to the RBR/RBS.  And even then, my download is 250-400, and my upload is 400-600 (against 950/950 wired).  I just need to decide whether to keep the Asus XT8 and see how it handles with more nodes vs. running the Orbi (at $300+ each, adding more satellites isn't an option I'm willing to explore).

Message 188 of 460
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

I'm officially done with Orbi. Even with 4.6.7.5, the system becomes unstable after several days of use. Even ethernet connectivity became unreliable, as the ports would start only connecting at 100Mbps. I'm tired of having to consantly perform full resets to get things working again. I'm back to an Asus AiMesh system and it's working so much better.

The Orbi is heading to the electronic waste drop-off, as I refuse to sell a broken product to someone else. Hopefully the components and metal they get off the boards will be more useful than the system was as a router.

Message 189 of 460
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

Even ethernet connectivity became unreliable, as the ports would start only connecting at 100Mbps...

Just curious, have you tried using a new cable?

Message 190 of 460
GoldenRetroGame
Apprentice

@SW_ wrote:

The cable is fine. The problem is only when connected to the Orbi when it starts to act up. It's 100% reproducable.

Message 191 of 460
meeper34
Aspirant

I'm kind of in the same boat so far with this version of firmware.  I am still getting dropped connections off and on.  Resetting the router helps, which makes me think it's some sort of memory leak in the fw.  I turned off logging which someone else suggested and lowered my 2.4 power to 50%, but it didn't do anything.  Someone else mentioned they could see memory usage on the router?  I'll need to search in this forum for how to do that to see if I am experiencing the same.  It's a shame I really love this router / satellite and it's an absolute beast with its range but these dropped connections are killing me.  If anyone has any diagnostic suggestions, please let me know.

Message 192 of 460
VerneArase
Apprentice

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

The cable is fine. The problem is only when connected to the Orbi when it starts to act up. It's 100% reproducable.

A lot of times when I have problems with ethernet (and USB-C for that matter) I find that unplugging everything and blowing out sockets and plugs with high pressure compressed air does wonders.

Much easier than replacing cables and hardware, and at least for me this works most of the time.

Occasionally an ethernet cable can go bad or if unshielded something can affect it - I used unshielded ethernet ribbon cables for a while - but ususally some dust or something migrated in and helped to produce an intermittant.

Message 193 of 460
Electric1
Tutor

How do you see the cpu/memory etc information? I couldnt find those screens anywhere (except the attached devices one)

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, I just got mine installed. Did the grey install, installed FW, shut off RBS then RBR for 1 minute or more, then back ON with the RBR first and let it come to ready. The turned ON RBS one at a time. This time were going to be wireless with the RBS for a couple of days, then I'll connect them via ethernet. I set some IP address reservations for the RBS as well. Manual channels 1 and 40. CTS = 64. Transmit Power = 50%. 

RBSWirelessConnected.png

RBSStatusWirelessConnected.png

Basic Information
Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 18.95%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 305 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 00:06:50

Will monitor this and see how it goes. 

Message 194 of 460
HWI0031
Guide

@Electric1 wrote:

How do you see the cpu/memory etc information? I couldnt find those screens anywhere (except the attached devices one)

router-ip/debug.htm

Message 195 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@HWI0031 wrote:

router-ip/debug.htm

That's really useful - thanks for that.

My Orbi (in AP mode) is using 567/874MB with an uptime of 19 days, which seems high but I'll monitor it over the next few days and see what it's up to.

The satellites are both hovering around the 320MB mark which seems OK. Interestingly one of my satellites has a "Hop Count" of 1 while the other one has a "Hop Count" of 255. I wonder what that's all about.

System has been working and completely stable since I upgraded to 4.6.7.5... 19 days ago I guess.

Message 196 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a HW issue then. You should contact NG support and ask about RMA options. 

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

I'm officially done with Orbi. Even with 4.6.7.5, the system becomes unstable after several days of use. Even ethernet connectivity became unreliable, as the ports would start only connecting at 100Mbps. I'm tired of having to consantly perform full resets to get things working again. I'm back to an Asus AiMesh system and it's working so much better.

The Orbi is heading to the electronic waste drop-off, as I refuse to sell a broken product to someone else. Hopefully the components and metal they get off the boards will be more useful than the system was as a router.

Message 197 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What everone else posted.

@Electric1 

Message 198 of 460
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@VerneArase wrote:

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

A lot of times when I have problems with ethernet (and USB-C for that matter) I find that unplugging everything and blowing out sockets and plugs with high pressure compressed air does wonders.

Much easier than replacing cables and hardware, and at least for me this works most of the time.

Occasionally an ethernet cable can go bad or if unshielded something can affect it - I used unshielded ethernet ribbon cables for a while - but ususally some dust or something migrated in and helped to produce an intermittant.

Yeah - typically the reason for degraded Ethernet link speed is often a result of link speed negotiation between the two nodes, bad switch, or the cable, which is acting up. If this were a result of bad FW, it would have been seen or reported by more people. In this case, If a reboot would restore the link speed and subsequently drop back down to 100Mbps, it could also be the client, bad port, or the cable. I had also encountered similar problem in the past, hence my curiosity. Since you've already confirmed it's not the cable, then it's something else other than bad FW. Otherwise, everyone would also be affected by the same problem.

ASUS is a good vendor and you can't go wrong with their router either.  Good luck!

Message 199 of 460
HWI0031
Guide

@SW_ wrote:

@VerneArase wrote:

@GoldenRetroGame wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

Yeah - typically the reason for degraded Ethernet link speed is often a result of link speed negotiation between the two nodes, bad switch, or the cable, which is acting up. If this were a result of bad FW, it would have been seen or reported by more people. In this case, If a reboot would restore the link speed and subsequently drop back down to 100Mbps, it could also be the client, bad port, or the cable. I had also encountered similar problem in the past, hence my curiosity. Since you've already confirmed it's not the cable, then it's something else other than bad FW. Otherwise, everyone would also be affected by the same problem.

ASUS is a good vendor and you can't go wrong with their router either.  Good luck!

Well most people might not notive since Orbi doesn't have any linespeedindicators on the ethernet ports (curious btw). So the only way to know is by either testing or running it through some switch.

I have used a switch on mine and i have seen linkspeed drops to 100Mb.

They came and went and where part of the insabillity i experienced, and there are plenty of issues related to that.

So more people might have this issue but never realize they do.

That issue (actual network instabillity) and lots off IPv4 vs IPv6 issues where what made me decide to pull the plug.

Message 200 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7