FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

👍

Message 226 of 460
skeelo
Luminary

Any idea when this is going to be pushed into production?  I am still running V4.6.5.14_2.0.54T4 on my RBS with V4.6.3.16 on three satellites.  I would rather not have to mess around with updating beta firmware if the issues I have had (and still have to a degree as other do as well) are not resolved.

Checking the devices from the admin firmware update page shows no new updates avaialble.

EDIT: V4.6.3.16 looks to be the last released official firmware on 9/17/2021.  Amazing considering all that has transpired across a few firmware issue related threads.

Message 227 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

We don't get that information. Others have posted having better results with v5 FW. Either try it or you'll have to wait. 

This version wasn't meant to be pushed via auto update. 

Message 228 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Interestingly one of my satellites has a "Hop Count" of 1 while the other one has a "Hop Count" of 255. I wonder what that's all about.

As an aside (and it's probably not firmware-specific), I worked this one out. The satellite that had a Hop Count of 255 was connected to a network switch. I've reconfigured the setup so the satellite is the first item in the chain and the switch (with all other devices connected to it) is connected to the satellite. Now the Hop Count shows as 1 - and I'm pretty sure the satellite is more responsive too. We do a lot of latency-sensitive things on our network (Citrix sessions, video calls, streamed gaming via GeForce Now) and the overall experience seems smoother than it was before.

Message 229 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

May depend on brand and model of switch as well.

I have 1 RBS thats at the end of a 3 switch daisy chain. 

Message 230 of 460
VerneArase
Apprentice

I keep my living room and office satellites at fixed addresses through DHCP (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101) so when they request addresses through DHCP they always get the same address.

That way I can connect to the satellite directly over wifi and play with firmware should the need arise.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 231 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

I do the same thing. Bookmark these addresses for ease of access too. Smiley Wink

Message 232 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Sadly after a few weeks of flawless operation with this firmware (barring memory creep), I started encountering problems again yesterday.

During a long Teams call (so - a period of sustained usage), the wired satellite I was connected to kicked all clients and wouldn't reconnect anything for around 5 minutes. After this time, the satellite then showed as Disconnected in the main router dashboard and the mobile app, although it was actually working and I could log on via the IP address of the satellite itself and see the devices that were connected.

About 20 minutes later the same thing happened again. All clients were kicked and were unable to reconnect for around 5 minutes. Sadly I was in another room (and on a videocall) so couldn't observe what was happening in terms of lights on the satellite or effect on wired devices. However this clearly didn't count as a full reboot of the device as the uptime shown on the debug page for the satellite remained at 25 days.

I've now rebooted the whole system and will keep an eye on it to see how it behaves. I've also enabled RTS/CTS with a threshold of 500, to see if that makes any difference, as someone in this thread said it appeared to aid stability and I'd previously been running with it disabled.

Disappointed though as I really thought this firmware was looking stable.

Message 233 of 460
rr20552
Apprentice

It was me who said that enabling RTS/CTS resolved my satellite restarting under load (I.e any kind of video call Teams or FaceTime).

Since enabling RTS / CTS I haven’t had a single satellite reboot.
Message 234 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@rr20552 wrote:
It was me who said that enabling RTS/CTS resolved my satellite restarting under load (I.e any kind of video call Teams or FaceTime).

Since enabling RTS / CTS I haven’t had a single satellite reboot.

That's encouraging - what did you set the threshold to?

I've also reverted my setup to the way it was previously, with the satellite sitting at the end of a chain behind a network switch, rather than sitting as the first item in the chain and everything else coming off it. It's possible that the additional overhead of connecting lots of wired devices to the satellite triggered some sort of problem - although, obviously, it shouldn't.

Message 235 of 460
rr20552
Apprentice

Some IOT devices such as Thermostats and cameras are sensitive to RTS / CTS.

I have mine set to 2304 and don’t have any issues with my Hive thermostat or Ring doorbell / camera’s.

Message 236 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@rr20552 wrote:
Some IOT devices such as Thermostats and cameras are sensitive to RTS / CTS.

I have mine set to 2304 and don’t have any issues with my Hive thermostat or Ring doorbell / camera’s.

Interesting - I do have a Ring doorbell and it usually does connect to that exact satellite.

Maybe enabling RTS/CTS will help. Clearly whatever is going on shouldn't cause the satellite to crash - so there are still problems with this firmware - but hopefully it's something Netgear can identify and fix.

Message 237 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible there maybe a HW issue at the RBS. I haven't seen this issue with my two RBS failing like yours. CTS should be enabled always. I have been using default 64 and haven't seen any issues, though I don't have a Ring product. Definately try the higher CTS value 2304 or 2347 which has been the norm value historically. Don't know why NG went to 64. Smiley Embarassed

Do you have 1 RBS or 2? 

Message 238 of 460
RafS
Apprentice

I've had my RTS/CTS set to 500 for the past 6 months without issues and all devices running smoothly, including Nest t-stat.   I've also had firmware 4.6.7.5 running for approximately 3 weeks without issues and hopefully this continues.  Only issue I ran into was right after loading 4.6.7.5, and after powering up the RBR and RBS, all devices showed with generic names for each device but after doing a Reboot via the Orbi app, everything returned to normal. 

Message 239 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Possible there maybe a HW issue at the RBS. I haven't seen this issue with my two RBS failing like yours. CTS should be enabled always. I have been using default 64 and haven't seen any issues, though I don't have a Ring product. Definately try the higher CTS value 2304 or 2347 which has been the norm value historically. Don't know why NG went to 64. Smiley Embarassed

Do you have 1 RBS or 2? 

I've got 2 RBS. One is wired direct to the router - this is the one I've had problems with - though it has the heaviest use (a laptop and an iPhone, both connected throughout the working day via Wifi 6 and used throughout the day for videocalls and Citrix sessions; also a Ring doorbell which is constantly recording video footage). The other RBS is wireless, and although it has more devices connected to it, it doesn't get the same kind of constant use and hasn't really experienced any issues.

It's intereresting to note that my problems with the wired satellite seemed to start when I reconfigured my setup to make the RBS the first item in the chain, with a number of wired devices connected via a switch to its ethernet ports. May just be coincidence of course but it definitely feels like the problems with the satellites occur when they are under load (I'm not the only person here to identify videocalls as a potential problem) and having additional wired devices connected to the satellite seems to have potentially contributed to that.

(Worth noting that my wife similarly uses the Orbi system heavily for videocalls, but the devices she uses connect directly to the router and she's experienced no issues of any kind).

No problems in the last 24 hours since I set the CTS/RTS to 500 and put the satellite back at the end of the chain of devices. I will continue to monitor. I'm certain this is a firmware issue of some kind though and not a hardware fault.

Message 240 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be a good test to swap RBS around to see of the problem follows or remains at the one location. 

How many devices in total do you have connected? 

How many devices are connected at each RBS? 

@Garwoofoo 

Message 241 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Would be a good test to swap RBS around to see of the problem follows or remains at the one location. 

How many devices in total do you have connected? 

How many devices are connected at each RBS? 

@Garwoofoo 

The number of connected devices varies but it's usually 20-25 at any one time out of maybe 35 devices total. Of that, around 8 are wired direct into the router, the wired RBS has 4-6 devices connected to it and the rest are split roughly evenly between the wireless satellite and the router. It's really hard to say as it depends on what devices are connected at any time and what rooms they are being used in.

As I mentioned before, the satellite that occasionally misbehaves tends to have the fewest number of devices but the heaviest load, just by the nature of what those devices are doing.

Good suggestion on switching the RBS around though, if I encounter further problems from this point on I will do that.

Message 242 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 243 of 460
itskirkby
Aspirant

Guys I cannot for the life of me find v 4.6.6.11 for the RBR850, where did you guys get that version as it seems to be the most stable?

Can someone post a link pls?

Message 244 of 460
cdp1276
Star

Just as a follow up I'm up to 563mb memory used so it went up 147mb in almost a week or 21mb/per day...

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 12.07%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 563 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 26 days 20:26:31

Message 245 of 460
itskirkby
Aspirant

Guys can you please provide a link to:

V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1

I cannot find it anywhere online.

All of the links are down.

Perhaps you can export the Router and Satellite firmware and then upload and share for us?

Message 246 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

v11 is no longer available. 

Is v5 not working for you? 

@itskirkby wrote:

Guys can you please provide a link to:

V4.6.6.11_2.1.4.T.1

I cannot find it anywhere online.

All of the links are down.

Perhaps you can export the Router and Satellite firmware and then upload and share for us?

Message 247 of 460
Asch_72
Aspirant

I just joined this community as a last ditch, throw of the dice to sort out my orbi issues before I rip it out and bin it. Have had the System for nearly 2 years, the range is ultra disappointing and the stability horrendous. I tried today to get support as I had finally had enough and couldn’t figure out how to contact anyone without paying for a 130$ support subscription.

I used to work with Netgear and from what I can see, this thread offers me the opportunity to test their firmware for them.

Not impressed but I will give it a run this weekend to see how it goes.

I have hard wired the Sat to the router to solve my range issues but stability is simply isn’t good enough now that the wife has gone back to work and the load increased only marginally.

Looks like an engaged community here. Hopefully we get a good outcome
Message 248 of 460
KMDonlon
Luminary

Message 249 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

Message 250 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements