Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 6.3.1.21 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 6.3.1.21 Released

Bug Fixes: 08/12/2022

• Add the support of new Marvell B1 PHY support.

Download Link:

TBD

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your product’s firmware, follow the instructions in your product’s user manual.

To find your user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/

enter your model number in the search box, and click the Documentation button on the product

NOTE: Orbi app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

If you manually update, be sure to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000037217/How-do-I-check-and-manually-upgrade-the-firmware-on-my-Orbi-satelli...

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

NOTE:  Update the RBS first, then the RBR lastly. I recommend doing a full on factory reset after the FW loads, system is back to ready and a power OFF for 1 minute then back ON has been performed. Use a wired PC and web browser for this. Load the FW on to each RBS web page using the RBS web page, not thru the RBRs web page. Then load the FW lastly on the RBRs web page. Walk thru the setup wizard. You can manually setup the system as well for those who are more experienced with this.

A factory reset maybe needed if problems are encountered:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

NOTICE: All users are advised to not downgrade FW on Orbi systems to older versions of FW. Downgrading FW may cause problems on the system and or cause units to no longer function. If you experience a problems after FW updating your Orbi system, please post in this thread or create a new post and give details to what your experiencing and we'll help you troubleshoot the problem. 

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 10
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

Re: New - RBRE960 / RBSE960 Firmware Version 6.3.1.21 Released

Doesn't seem to have anything specifically for the IoT devices dropping issue reported by a number of people (including yours truly).

Now that mine's running as an AP rather than the main router, I'll probably give it a shot to see what happens. But I'm less than optimistic.

Message 2 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

I noticed the new firmware on the Netgear downloads page yesterday and installed on my three RBSE960s and then on my RBR960E in the early afternoon.  I had internet and home network connectivity problems from my devices later that evening and it wasn't 100% even after rebooting, so I rolled back.

I will let others try out this new AXE firmware before upgrading again.  I run my Orbi in AP mode.  I did not do a full factory reset after updating the firmware (and usually don't).

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

As noted in the post, users are recommended to factory reset and setup from scratch if problems are encountered. 

Message 4 of 10
TC_in_Montana
Virtuoso

@DodgeDeBoulet 

There are some other changes that I have seen with the new firmware that are not in the change log.   It is one of the things that we have been pressing Netgear to get better at - still hoping they do so.

So - not sure if they did or did not make changes to resolve the IoT devices dropping....

Message 5 of 10
brianld
Apprentice

I had installed this new version the day it came out, but then noticed that my devices were no longer connecting to one of my satellites.  Instead they were connecting to the main router, with an obviously much lower signal strength and bandwidth due to distance from router.  Tried rebooting satellite, devices, etc.  Nothing helped.  Eventually rolled everything back to the previous firmware, as this is obviously an issue.

Guessing there were some other show-stoppers found in the firmware update, as Netgear seem to have pulled the release as of this morning.

Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW applied? manually? 

Did you power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back ON with the RBR then RBS lastly after this FW version was applied. 

Then for one last check, reboot the RBR to see if the wireless devices migrated to the RBS? 

I updated mine yesterday though mines in AP mode for now. I have a couple of items connected to one RBS and is working fine. 

How are you determining the NG pulled this release this morning? This is still on there download web page as of now. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

How do you have the wifi settings configured? 

@brianld wrote:

I had installed this new version the day it came out, but then noticed that my devices were no longer connecting to one of my satellites.  Instead they were connecting to the main router, with an obviously much lower signal strength and bandwidth due to distance from router.  Tried rebooting satellite, devices, etc.  Nothing helped.  Eventually rolled everything back to the previous firmware, as this is obviously an issue.

Guessing there were some other show-stoppers found in the firmware update, as Netgear seem to have pulled the release as of this morning.

Message 7 of 10
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

I'm not seeing the new version either.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks. I see the link is still listed under Top Support Articles but ya, it's not at the top of the FW and Downloads section. 

We are checking on this now. 

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, NG is pulling this version of FW. We are checking to see if downgrading is needed, or should be downgraded, can be downgraded or if users can keep the status quo. 

Please be patient. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7