Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New V4.6.3.16

vmiele
Guide

Re: New V4.6.3.16

I've had a rbk20 for a year and a half with no problems.

I decided to upgrade and opted for the rbk753...I wasn't expecting this nightmare.

I still have time to return everything and opt for something else.
Let's see how this evolves... but given netgear's poor responsiveness.... I'm afraid I'll have to decide before they come out with a solution (assuming there will be one)

Message 26 of 35
AggedwNG
Apprentice

No arguing here lol.. Fully agree with all sentiments expressed in this thread. It is a joke and one of the worst I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't hold your breath on anything productive coming from this.. If my return policy hadn't lapsed, I would have taken it back in a heartbeat. Whether it be due to poor implemented coding, Product Management or Release Support, for me they've shown their hand and I'm done with this brand.
Message 27 of 35
EdFerreira
Star

@AggedwNG wrote:
"Dark forces"... lol. More like shady business practices.. It's likely still hidden in the html. As the previous poster confirmed, he was able to downgrade. I personally tossed mine in the closet and have been running on an old router with stable firmware. Seeing as they felt the need to hide it in the first place, shows their intentions of where they plan on going with this.. I might pull mine out and do some testing this weekend but I wouldn't hedge any bets on them reversing course on that.

Let me know how that goes... Mine is staying in the garbage bag until something happens. Probably in another 2 months, since they took 2 months to release a final beta version of the fw (this isn't even RC).

Message 28 of 35
vmiele
Guide

@AggedwNG wrote:
.. If my return policy hadn't lapsed, I would have taken it back in a heartbeat. 

I will take your suggestion into consideration... lol

Message 29 of 35
tak1313
Luminary

@vmiele wrote:

I've had a rbk20 for a year and a half with no problems.

I decided to upgrade and opted for the rbk753...I wasn't expecting this nightmare.

I still have time to return everything and opt for something else.
Let's see how this evolves... but given netgear's poor responsiveness.... I'm afraid I'll have to decide before they come out with a solution (assuming there will be one)

Return it.  Look at it this way, you can see all the problems this ruckus is causing already.  Let's say they are able to fix things before your return window is up, so you decide NOT to return it.

Netgear has shown their ineptitude in this type of situation, so you know at some point, your then working system (now past the return period) will be borked by another update/forced update and you'll be stuck with a bunch of network bricks.

I have already advised everyone I know that even IF NG can get passed this, you can depend on another "event" down the road with similar results.

I'm not knocking them for updating - ALL brands HAVE to update periodically, especially if it's a security issue.  The difference is HOW problems with updates are handled by the back office.

Message 30 of 35

The fact the stability issues remain in v4.6.3.16 and yet Netgear remain silent on it, is terrible. I have never experienced customer service like it and Netgear should be ashamed. 

Surely someone in Netgear care that one of their most expensive products is totally ruined by a firmware update? A firmware update FORCED on users with no way to turn back? No? Oh yes, i forgot, revenue from parental controls.

Message 31 of 35
vmiele
Guide

guys... I followed your suggestion. I returned my ORBI and bought an ASUS ZenWifi AX6600.

Now everything works.
Thanks... it was a pleasure to spend some time in this forum.

Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. 

@vmiele wrote:

guys... I followed your suggestion. I returned my ORBI and bought an ASUS ZenWifi AX6600.

Now everything works.
Thanks... it was a pleasure to spend some time in this forum.

Message 33 of 35
AggedwNG
Apprentice

Glad you were able to get it returned vmiele.
Message 34 of 35
raven_au
Virtuoso

@vmiele wrote:

Now everything works.

I like the ZenWIFI XT8 too.

With a GT-AX11000 and 2xXT8s I found it quite good.

But these too (from what I have read on the snbforums) have problems with the 2.5GB internet port as did the GT-AX11000 2.5 GB port last time I tried to use it.

Adding AiMesh nodes can be a challenge, particularly if your using a range of different ASUS models.

Anumber of the other problems we hear about here also happen.

The security features don't come anywhere near those available on the Orbi.

Parental controls, allowing an extrememly limited 16 devices, is for me essentially non-existent.

You will, at some point, find the need to identify which earlier firmware version is stable enough for your needs so keep that in mind as you go.

Ian

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7