Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New home with windstream internet.

Peterallen
Tutor

New home with windstream internet.

Need some help pick out whether  the newNetgear Orbi mesh system will work with windstream modem or do I get a Netgear router and will that work with Netgear .

we want fast and reliable internet with many items in the house on WiFi  .

recommanations Please .

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: New home with windstream internet.

We'd need more details to help. 

1. what modem/gateway do you have from windstream?

2. what speeds do you pay for and get? (key as its pointless to recommend a high dollar system if you're only getting 10mbps)

3. how big is your home? (sq ft)

4. what are the interior walls made of? (certain materials block wifi)

5. what are you using the sytem for? streaming/gaming/video conferencinng/etc

6. how many devices do you plan on supporting? 

7. whats your budget? Again, its pointles to recommend a system if its not even close to the budget. 

Message 2 of 8
Peterallen
Tutor

Thanks

new construction , Windstream are the only provider in the area , do Iuse their modeum or get a NetGear one ?

2. what speeds do you pay for and get? (key as its pointless to recommend a high dollar system if you're only getting 10mbps) 

up to 500mps as they are putting fiber optic in the neighborhood as we speak 

3000 and a workshop 300 feet from house 

sheet rock on the inside , stone and stucco on the outside 

Internet/movies/ ring door bell/garage door openers/ waterheaters /weather station/ and any other items as the whole house seems to be moving to WiFi.

Maybe 25

7. whats your budget? Again, its pointles to recommend a system if its not even close to the budget. 
$2000.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Peterallen wrote:

Thanks

new construction , Windstream are the only provider in the area , do Iuse their modeum or get a NetGear one ?

Usually they have either an ONT or a gateay they install to connect to their fibre service. If its an ONT, pretty much any router will work. Any router will work with a gateway as well but theres a few changes to the gateway or netgear depending on what one they install. 

up to 500mps as they are putting fiber optic in the neighborhood as we speak ----that'll be some solid speeds. 

3000 and a workshop 300 feet from house ---with that large of a home, i'd recommend a mesh system for better coverage. Problem will be the workshop 300 ft from the home. thats at the very edge of ethernet working if ran (goes up to 328 ft) hardwired. Wifi won't reach that far. Especially with the stucco in the next questions. If you can't hardwire in the workshop, I'd be looking at a point to point system like netgears airbridge (cheaper versions on amazon) to connect the workshop in. You use the point to point system to connect the 2 and then a satellite from the mesh system for coverage. Or simply run a wire between the 2 (staying under the 328 ft) and hardwire in a satellite. 

sheet rock on the inside , stone and stucco on the outside ----stone and stucco are great at blocking wifi. I wouldn't have high aspirations for wifi exterior to the home. 

Internet/movies/ ring door bell/garage door openers/ waterheaters /weather station/ and any other items as the whole house seems to be moving to WiFi.

Maybe 25

$2000.

Based on the home/budget, I'd look at a combination of things. If the home is wired with ethernet, i'd look at a dual band mesh systems that you can hardwire in. If its not, then I'd be looking at triband systems. You can use those for coverage in the home and the workshop with the workshop either hardwired in or connected with a point to point system.  You can look at AC systems or AX systems. The AC systems aren't going to max out a 500mbps over wireless. They might get close if you're close to routers/satellites but 5ghz speeds drop off quickly. Even the AX probably won't unless you're using AX devices and are close.  

Message 4 of 8
Peterallen
Tutor

So should I buy a 4 pack or orbi 6E   And then a  Netgear Nighthawk modem 

and a netgear  point to point line of sight to get wifi to my shed .

thanks 

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

@Peterallen wrote:

So should I buy a 4 pack or orbi 6E   And then a  Netgear Nighthawk modem 

and a netgear  point to point line of sight to get wifi to my shed .

thanks 

You shouldn't need a modem. If windstream is putting in fibre, they should either supply an ONT or a gateway to connect to. 

In terms of the 4 pack, thats more up to you. Is your home wired for ethernet? 

that'll be the question too as my home is wired with ethernet and my SXK30 system is as fast as my RBK750 system (and my arris AX11000 mesh). 

Are you planning on buying 6E devices? I've got an RAXE500 so I'm 6ghz capable but I wouldn't call it worth the investment right now. And the 6E orbi's are quite expensive being flagship devices. I'm not usually one to push someone away from "over engineering" but the $ might be better spent on other equipment. 

I'm right around 3200sq ft and have more than adequate coverage with an AX system with only a router/satellite in my home. And thats with 50+ devices and gigabit service. It functions well with cheaper devices and wired backhaul or more expensive devices and wireless backhaul. 

So would you need 3x in the home or just 2? Kind of up to you on that. 

Message 6 of 8
Peterallen
Tutor

Windstream rents you the modem  so I might as well buy areally fast one for the future .

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Netgear doesn't make a fibre modem that I know of compatible with windstream. You'd have to check with windstream on compatible device or if they can just install an ONT

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7