Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New v3.2.15.25 FW update seen in Orbi App Today...

Chuck_M
Mentor

If you have RBS50's attached to your RBR850 (hard wired)... disconnect power on them before upgrading this firmware.   

If you don't, they will cause erros in the firmware upgrade routine and your RBS850 will most likely not be upgraded. 

The RBR850 still doesnt know how to deal with administration of RBS50s, so unplugging power "unconfuses" the RBR850 while doing the firmware upgrade.  Once it is finished, plug them back into power and all is well.

On another note, the attached device categories have been updated as has been associated icons.  Still a few categories missing, but a good improvement. 

Message 51 of 72
ekhalil
Master

Upgraded today, and looks good so far.

This firmware seems stable. I like the new device icons.

Also radio band managements seems to have been improved. I'll keep monitoring.

Message 52 of 72
KMDonlon
Luminary

Finally hit here too in Las Vegas... So far, so good!
Message 53 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear it's getting out there. I'm enjoying mine in AP mode. Will check out router mode soon. 

Message 54 of 72
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Updated both the RBR and RBS 850 via the GUI. At this time there is no manual update/download from the NG downloads website. The new firmware showed up in my recently updated Orbi app for iOS and in the GUI. The firmware update was done without a hitch. After the firmware update I did a complete wipe (pressing in the reset button on both the RBR and RBS until it started flashing amber) then setup the Orbi system from scratch using the Orbi app which went off without a hitch. I use my RBK852 in AP mode and not router mode. No release notes available yet. My speed test via the Orbi app works great in AP mode by the way FURRYe38-it is behind a RAX200 at the moment.

Message 55 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats one thing I didn't do. Was a reset. Ill try a reset and check speed test again.

Message 56 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, confirmed Speed test is working on the RBRs web page an on Orbi app after a factory reset and setup AP mode from scratch. 

Another case of when a reset is needed after a FW update. Smiley Wink

Message 57 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Also was able to test router mode today. 

NAT Filter set to OPEN is still broke:

http://nattest.net.in.tum.de/individualResult.php?hash=49771c63907d0d64ba64db15d93cc227

Seeing port address restricted instead of FULL CONE NAT. 

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

However two xbox ones are reporting OPEN NAT with in xbox advanced networking settings sucessfully while NAT Filter is set to Secure. This is finally working better. However since NAT Filter is broke when set to OPEN, two xbox consoles playing the same game at the same time will not see OPEN NAT while in the GAME, one game will have a status of open while the other will have Moderate or maybe strict. Both games could see moderate nat based on how the game is detecting NAT conditions. 

So after all this I'm back in AP mode with the RBR while RBS are ethernet connected. 

Also default CTS/RTS values are still 64 after a factory reset, so for those of you who see problems with wifi devices, change it to 2347 and try again. I guess this maybe the new norm for Orbi AX. 

Message 58 of 72
iNexxFear
Apprentice

So I have just received my 3 pack and set it up with minitmal issues, perofrmance is great and we are really running nicely.

the more I played with it today I'm seeing that I got this firmware, the main router is allwing me to do all of these things as noted.  But after further review one of my satellites, took the new firmware the other was way behind.

I ended up rebooting the one router that was behind and it updated itself using the web user interface to V3.2.11.2, but the main router and one satellite are at V3.2.15.25.

If I go into the web UI and do a check it goes through the devices one by one but doesn't see any ohter updates.  Will this impact the performance of the setup? with a mixed firmware process?  If so how do I get the one satellite that didnt' register and update correcly originally in with the others?

Feedback appreciated.

RouterRBR850RBR850V3.2.15.25No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi-Satellite-1V3.2.15.25No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS850Orbi-Satellite-2V3.2.11.2No New Firmware Available

Message 59 of 72
iNexxFear
Apprentice

After giving the temporarily updated firmware it did take the latest update about 30 minutes later.  Thre must be a sub check or process in the hardware that is performed.  either still updaiting or delayed allowance of taking too many firmwares quickly to prevent things like network hacks attacking the core of the device.  as my second satellitte is now the same version, and my concern no longer exists.

Thansk for reviewing though

Message 60 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Ya, sometimes it takes time and patience. Glad it's all updated. 

Enjoy. 

@iNexxFear wrote:

After giving the temporarily updated firmware it did take the latest update about 30 minutes later.  Thre must be a sub check or process in the hardware that is performed.  either still updaiting or delayed allowance of taking too many firmwares quickly to prevent things like network hacks attacking the core of the device.  as my second satellitte is now the same version, and my concern no longer exists.

Thansk for reviewing though

Message 61 of 72
Mikey94025
Hero

@Chuck_M wrote:

If you have RBS50's attached to your RBR850 (hard wired)... disconnect power on them before upgrading this firmware.   

If you don't, they will cause erros in the firmware upgrade routine and your RBS850 will most likely not be upgraded. 

Just another datapoint -- I just upgraded via the website GUI and had no issues with my RBR and 3 satellites.

Message 62 of 72
Chuck_M
Mentor

On mine -- the GUI had the Router, and then two RBS50s and then the RBR850 (in that order).

When it polled the firmware for RBS50s it would report "update failed" and then stopped from getting to the RBS850.

After a couple of attempts, thats when I powered down the RBS50s and it blew through it with no issue. 

I suspect if the list had the RBS850 second, it would have completed it with no issue and then errored out on the 50s

Message 63 of 72
Mikey94025
Hero

@Chuck_M wrote:

On mine -- the GUI had the Router, and then two RBS50s and then the RBR850 (in that order).

When it polled the firmware for RBS50s it would report "update failed" and then stopped from getting to the RBS850.

Sorry, my mistake.  I didn't notice you were referring to RBS50s and not RBS850s.  I don't have any of my old Orbi AC satellites connected to my new Orbi AX so my setup is different than yours.

Message 64 of 72
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What version of Fw are you using currently? If your system isn't on v3.2.11.2, then upgrade the system to this version first, then reboot everything then check with the Orbi app again and see if v3.2.15.25 is avilable to you. 

Interesting ... wasn't available for the first few days running 3.2.11.2, but is now.

Of course, I can't really update until tonight since the family is using the internet now 🙄.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 65 of 72
skeelo
Luminary

How do you factory reset?

My devices are faster using mobile vs WiFi after the update.

The iOS app updated from the App Store today also, FYI.
Message 66 of 72
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Skeelo, take a paper clip and straighten one end-find a small hole on the back of the RBR/RBS unit near the power input. Gently push the straightened paper clip into the small hole (reset) until you feel a click-hold that until the light (formerly green now amber) flashes amber then you are done with the reset-do this procedure to BOTH units before setting up from scratch using the recently updated Orbi app. Make sure in your wireless settings that the CTS/RTS is changed to 2347 vice the default 64. Also, I use WiFi Explorer to analyze my wireless network as it not only shows your network but your neighbors as well-make sure there are no channel conflicts-get as much channel separation as possible from surrounding wireless signals to avoid degradation of your wireless signal.

@skeelo 

@FURRYe38 

Message 67 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

@skeelo wrote:
How do you factory reset?

My devices are faster using mobile vs WiFi after the update.

The iOS app updated from the App Store today also, FYI.

Message 68 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I successfully updated tonight! Mine was not as straight forward as everyone else. I logged into the Web GUI and clicked "update all." I have 1 router and 2 satellites. 

After everything was done updating, one of the satellites kept flashing white and never turned solid blue. Rebooting it didn't work either. I ended up resetting all 3 units, and setup the Orbi as a new router. Everything worked great after that, except I enabled Armor in the app, and it was not blocking ANYTHING.

Since I had reset all the equipment, the Orbi app on my iPhone was still linked to the router setup before I performed a hard reset. So I turned Armor off in the app, and then I deleted Orbi app, re-downloaded it from the app store. After establishing the Orbi app with my "new" network, everything works great! I turned Armor on, and it's successfully blocking phishing websites now. 

Message 69 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know about the update experience. 

I moved my RBS to with 20 feet line of site with my RBR when I did my update on the system. Possible distance could be a factor when updating. Glad the reset got things working again. 

Be sure you post over in the Armor forum if you see problems. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

I successfully updated tonight! Mine was not as straight forward as everyone else. I logged into the Web GUI and clicked "update all." I have 1 router and 2 satellites. 

After everything was done updating, one of the satellites kept flashing white and never turned solid blue. Rebooting it didn't work either. I ended up resetting all 3 units, and setup the Orbi as a new router. Everything worked great after that, except I enabled Armor in the app, and it was not blocking ANYTHING.

Since I had reset all the equipment, the Orbi app on my iPhone was still linked to the router setup before I performed a hard reset. So I turned Armor off in the app, and then I deleted Orbi app, re-downloaded it from the app store. After establishing the Orbi app with my "new" network, everything works great! I turned Armor on, and it's successfully blocking phishing websites now. 

Message 70 of 72
sl0thk1ng
Aspirant

Anyone notice it does not have wpa2/wpa3 mix mode?

Model that I own:Orbi ax6000

Message 71 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, be like this since the beginning. I believe there is WPA3 compatibility problems there working on. 

Message 72 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7