Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Number of fixed IP addresses allowed on Netgear Orbie Mesh rbk853

lbelardinelli
Aspirant

Number of fixed IP addresses allowed on Netgear Orbie Mesh rbk853

I presently have a "connected Home" with a totol of 93 devices (and growing). That is everything from mulpiplt computers, tablets, and phones, pool and jacuzzi controls, drip system controls, in house - 15 device wifi stereo speaker system (Sonos), all my theater devices and controls, 3 TVs, 10 alexa devices like coffee pot and garage oppenner, and numerous video and lighting controllers.

Many of these devices like FIXED IP ADDRESSES. However, I have a problem with my current Netgear R8500 router because it will NOT ALLOW ME TO ADD ADDITIONAL FIXED IP ADDRESSES. (Netgear has confirmed that the R8500 has a limit of 35.

I am considerating installing the new NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK853). WHAT IS THE LIMIT OF FIXED IP ADDRESSES ON THE WiFi 6 RBK853 SYSTEM?????

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Number of fixed IP addresses allowed on Netgear Orbie Mesh rbk853

You maybe first user of that many devies on a home router. Most generally users with 30-maybe 50 devices. Unsure of actual IP address reservations that can be made on the RBR. You can do this though, set IP address reservations for some of your devices. One wthat don't need any router management or much internet services, like printers, cameras, controllers or network storage, set Static IP addresses for. You'll need to change the default IP address pool size for using Static IP addresses. Doing this will help move some of the IP address reservations out to Static and have room for items that need IP address reservations. 

No need to yell please. 

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 6
lbelardinelli
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. But it may surprise you that my business is setting up networks in peoples homes that want to treat their home as much of a "Smart Home" as possible. Many of these people have large homes (6500 sq ft) on multiple levels. In addition to 3 or so computers and 3 or 4 phones, they have multiple printers, NAS storage, NAS backyp, and up to 50 small devices like garage door controllers, pool controllers, jacuzzi controllers, screens, awnings, curtain or blinds control devices, video cameras, security devices etc....sometimes they add up to over 100 devices.

In addition to my business, I also host a TV show on PBS that discusses and gives lessons on "the use of smart devices". One of the most often made requests is "What Wifi routers to use and how to set them up". Ive always recommended Netgear until recently when I started runing up against the "Fixed IP limit" A LOT of these devices (the furnace and water heater for example ONLY like a fixed IP address. Otherwise they loose connections. But, that could also be a Wifi and router situation. Dont know.

I will still consider purchasing the RBK835, but I am still concerned because the manual doest seem to address this IP limit situation.

Sincerely, Leo Belardinelli 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I to have a fairly large home  as well. Multiple printers and storage and cameras. Best and recommended networking common practices should include static IP addressed devices that don't need much internet access or user management access. Like my printers, storage and cameras, there all static IPs, so IP address doesn't change or interfer with any DHCP IP address pool operations. Low priority devices can use static IP addresses. No need for Dynamic or Reserved IPs. Devices like PCs, Game consoles and phones and pad, put these in Dymanic or Reserved IP addresses. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@lbelardinelli wrote:

I am considerating installing the new NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBK853). WHAT IS THE LIMIT OF FIXED IP ADDRESSES ON THE WiFi 6 RBK853 SYSTEM?????

It may not be logical, but I prefer to set DHCP reserved IPs for all my devices and treat their local network IP addresses as permanent (not just X days per DHCP).  I currently have 55 Reserved Addresses set under LAN Setup in my Orbi RBR850 configuration, so the limit is at least that much.

Message 5 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@lbelardinelli wrote:

I presently have a "connected Home" with a totol of 93 devices (and growing). That is everything from mulpiplt computers, tablets, and phones, pool and jacuzzi controls, drip system controls, in house - 15 device wifi stereo speaker system (Sonos), all my theater devices and controls, 3 TVs, 10 alexa devices like coffee pot and garage oppenner, and numerous video and lighting controllers.

Many of these devices like FIXED IP ADDRESSES. However, I have a problem with my current Netgear R8500 router because it will NOT ALLOW ME TO ADD ADDITIONAL FIXED IP ADDRESSES. (Netgear has confirmed that the R8500 has a limit of 35.

@lbelardinelli I'm a little confused as to how you are assigning the static IP addresses?

We have many customers that want to be configured completely on static IP addresses. We configure the Subnet Mask for the amount of IP addresses wanted or needed. We reserve a small amount of IP addreses for the router's DHCP server. Then we assign a legal IP address, from the pool, to each device physically on the device. 

I have personally never run into an IP address limitation on pretty much any router, unless the subnet mask is set to allow 32 IP addresses, when we need 35. This includes the Netgear R8500. However I have had issues with router IP reservations, which is why we don't use router IP address reservation.

Being your stated background, you should already know a static IP address is an IP address that is manually set on a device's NIC. A DHCP Reservation is a pre set IP address, that is provided by the DHCP Server, then given to the NIC when it calls the DHCP server for an IP address. This usually has limitations.

So if you are using router IP reservations, and you want to keep the same IP addresses, write down what IP addresses you have already reserved for the devices. Then adjust the size of your DHCP server to your needs, remove all of the IP addresses from the reservation list and statically apply them to your devices. Then you will have properly assigned static UP addresses to your devices, and should have no limitations, as long as you have your subnet mask configured properly. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7