Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK753S

RussRS
Tutor

ORBI RBK753S

Hello, I have had the tri band router and 2 satellites for a month now.  No issues the first three weeks, but this week, my internet connection started to drop once a day for about 5 minutes each day.  Has happned every day for the past seven days or so.

I have Verizon FIOS service and the ORBI router is connected directly to the Verizon modem via ethernet cable.  I had the older ORBI version, I beleive it was RBK53, that I used for a couple of years with no issues at all and it was connected in the same manner.  Recently decided to upgrad to the new system to get longer range.

It is not a huge deal, but not ideal to get disconnected during a work skype meeting.  Anyone else experience disconnection issues, and are there any solutions?

Thanks!

Russ

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK753S

Are both wired and wireless connection stopping when this happens? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Traffic Meter.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response.   Here is some more detail as requested:

Are both wired and wireless connection stopping when this happens? 

- I don't have any wired connections from the ORBI router or satellites to devices.  Only connection that is utilizing ethernet connection is from the Verizon modem to the Orbi router.

What Firmware version is currently loaded? 

- Version V3.2.18.1

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

- Verizon Part# 567004-005-00

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 3,250
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

-First satellite is on the next floor up, right above the router, so 10 feet with a floor inbetween.  Second satellite is also on the next floor up, but about 36 feet away from the router if I draw a straight line between them.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

- Sorry, I am not sure how to check these or make changes.  I searched the Orbi App, but couldn't locat this.  I did see on the device list that I have 25 devices connected, and 5 of these are connected to 2.4Ghz and rest are connnected to 5Ghz.  Also noticed that one satellite has a green dot next to it (Online) and the other has Purple (offline?).  Before posting my quetstion this AM, I did a hard reset on all three units by pressing in the reset button in the back for 7 seconds (until orange light blinked).  I had to set up my system from scratch after that via the orbi app.  During setup the app indicated both satellites were on-line, so not sure why one if off line now.  Will try to reset it.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? There are 4 more wifi networks in my range, 3 of them with very low signal strength.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Traffic Meter. - Just disable Armor, Traffic meter was off.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and Orbi system been performed since last update? - Have never reset the Verizon moded, but did reset the system a few times over the last week, including a hard reset today.  Will try resetting Verizon modem also.

Thanks!

Russ

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

"What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

- Verizon Part#567004-005-00" 

There should be a model # information either on the front box area of thsi unit or on the sticker under or in back of the modem. 

Message 4 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

Found it:  Model: ONT1000G14

Thanks,

Russ

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thank you.

Also, "-First satellite is on the next floor up, right above the router, so 10 feet with a floor inbetween."

This RBS is too close the the RBR. 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

Message 6 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@RussRS wrote:

Hello, I have had the tri band router and 2 satellites for a month now.  No issues the first three weeks, but this week, my internet connection started to drop once a day for about 5 minutes each day.  Has happened every day for the past seven days or so.

The  Orbi "app" provides very little information about what is happening with the Orbi.  There is more information in the Orbi web interface.  Open a web browser with http://orbilogin.net The login credentials are "admin" (which cannot be changed) and the administrative password (when the Orbi is first purchased, this is actually "password" and the user is encouraged to make it more complicated).

On the Advanced Tab home screen, there is a box on the right labelled "Connection Status" which shows the length of the lease the Orbi received on the public IP and how much time until the lease expires.  Does this each day event correspond to the expiration of the IP lease?

Message 7 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

Thanks for the response!  I will start watching the lease expiration time and comparing it to when my wifi disconnects.

Russ

Message 8 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

I will move the satellite today and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Russ

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 10 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

No disconnection for about 30 hours so far.  Rebooting ISP router, moving satellites 30 feet away, turning off armor protection seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks,

Russel

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working better. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Enjoy, 

Message 12 of 14
RussRS
Tutor

Did not know I could save config file.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Enjoy. 

Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7