Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBK853 WiFi or ethernet connection of a satelite to the router?

pr5889
Aspirant

ORBI RBK853 WiFi or ethernet connection of a satelite to the router?

I need help before I buy an Orbi WiFi system to see if this will work in my house.

I presently have a WiFi Router in my computer room and an ethernet cable running about 50 feet to another room where I have a WiFi extender used for the other side of the house and with an entertainment system.

I am thinking of getting an Orbi RBK853 an I am not sure of the best setup.  I would like to place the Orbi Router where my present WiFi Router is.  I was then thinking of connecting the first satelite via the present ethernet cable in the other room and then the second satelite at the far end of the house by wireless connection.  My concern is that If I use a wireless connection to the first satelite in the room 50 ft away, that the signal loss and speed loss will be too great.

Questions:

1. Is a satelite placement 50 feet away too far for an acceptable wireless connection?

2. If not, can I connect the Orbi Router via ethernet cable to the first Orbi Satelite and then the second satelite elsewhere in the house via wireless connection.  Will this work or are there limitations?

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: ORBI RBK853 WiFi or ethernet connection of a satelite to the router?

@pr5889 wrote:

I need help before I buy an Orbi WiFi system to see if this will work in my house.

I presently have a WiFi Router in my computer room and an ethernet cable running about 50 feet to another room where I have a WiFi extender used for the other side of the house and with an entertainment system.

I am thinking of getting an Orbi RBK853 an I am not sure of the best setup.  I would like to place the Orbi Router where my present WiFi Router is.  I was then thinking of connecting the first satelite via the present ethernet cable in the other room and then the second satelite at the far end of the house by wireless connection.  My concern is that If I use a wireless connection to the first satelite in the room 50 ft away, that the signal loss and speed loss will be too great.

Questions:

1. Is a satelite placement 50 feet away too far for an acceptable wireless connection? No, however building materials can impact good signal travel.

2. If not, can I connect the Orbi Router via ethernet cable to the first Orbi Satelite and then the second satelite elsewhere in the house via wireless connection? Yes. https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7