Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ORBI RBKE963B WIFI 6E - which outdoor satellite

ahmorris
Aspirant

ORBI RBKE963B WIFI 6E - which outdoor satellite

Hi

I have installed an Orbi `RBKE963B Quad-band Wi~Fi 6E mesh system (3 pack) and works very well indoors.  I have Nest system CCTV outside which is working off the indoor Orbi, but not very well - I’d like an add an outdoor extender.  Can anyone recommend what I need to have seamless coverage

thanks

Alan  

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: ORBI RBKE963B WIFI 6E - which outdoor satellite

@ahmorris wrote:
Thanks for replies.
 is this able to be connected directly to my Orbi base router and have the same SSDI to act seamlessly or is it only an access point needing one to connect to it directly?

This device can be connected as a simple WiFi access point. (see page 5 of the user manual:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202210/20221019/1910013169-EAP110_UG.pdf 

It will not become part of the "mesh" where devices will roam seamlessly between this unit and the primary WiFi system.

If the primary need is for outdoor security cameras, there is actually one reason to use a different SSID on this access point: the security cameras will connect only to it and will never accidentally connect to one of the primary Orbi units with a poorer connection.

The issues I see are:

• It requires an Ethernet cable connection to one of the primary system units (router or satellite).  This requires a wall penetration and it may be impractical to install the cable.
  • It requires power, which can come through the Ethernet cable, or wherever you can find power outside. (or through that wall penetration).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the RBS50Y with Extender Mode FW loaded could work. This is a AC class satellite. 

There isn't a AX series outdoor satellite available otherwise. 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Security cameras typically remain where they are mounted (i.e. not 'mobile').  Thus, connecting them to the WiFi 'mesh' gains nothing over connecting them to any WiFi access point that is in turn connected to the mesh system.

If an outdoor, weather resistant WiFi access point is an absolute requirement, then the only Netgear model is the RBS50Y in extender mode.  There are also outdoor rated WiFi extenders from other companies designed to work with any router.

WiFi is really sensitive to building materials, especially things like brick walls, metal flashing, etc.  It could be that moving the cameras only a few feet would result in a more stable connection.  Or, placing a WiFi extender inside the house but relatively close to the camera would make a stable connection.

The Netgear EX3700, for example, retails for under $30US (Amazon).  Compared to the RBS50Y which is currently $150 (be careful which model you buy. the first RBS50Y worked only in satellite mode and cannot connect to your newer Orbi).

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBS50Y could work, IF it's got the EXTENDER MODE FW loaded on it. 

Another option is to put in a outdoor electronics box and put in a EX series extender inside. 

Message 4 of 7
ahmorris
Aspirant

Thanks for replies.
I have a “TP-Link EAP225-Outdoor AC1200 MU-MIMO Wireless Gigabit Indoor/Outdoor Access Point, 802.3af/Passive PoE“ - is this able to be connected directly to my Orbi base router and have the same SSDI to act seamlessly or is it only an access point needing one to connect to it directly?
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Won't hurt anything to try it. 

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ahmorris wrote:
Thanks for replies.
 is this able to be connected directly to my Orbi base router and have the same SSDI to act seamlessly or is it only an access point needing one to connect to it directly?

This device can be connected as a simple WiFi access point. (see page 5 of the user manual:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202210/20221019/1910013169-EAP110_UG.pdf 

It will not become part of the "mesh" where devices will roam seamlessly between this unit and the primary WiFi system.

If the primary need is for outdoor security cameras, there is actually one reason to use a different SSID on this access point: the security cameras will connect only to it and will never accidentally connect to one of the primary Orbi units with a poorer connection.

The issues I see are:

• It requires an Ethernet cable connection to one of the primary system units (router or satellite).  This requires a wall penetration and it may be impractical to install the cable.
  • It requires power, which can come through the Ethernet cable, or wherever you can find power outside. (or through that wall penetration).
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7