Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ORBI RBR850 -- frequent disconnects to WoW server

katkit
Tutor

ORBI RBR850 -- frequent disconnects to WoW server

Suddenly for no reason, since this morning, every 15-30 minutes my connection with WoW (World of Warcraft game) drops. I get disconnected but can quickly reconnect within the minute. For context, my PC is connected to the router (main, not sattelite) via an ethernet cable.

To eliminate other sources of problems i did the following, which DID NOT solve the frequent Disconnects:

1) Flushed DNS/ IP config

2) Reinstalled the game

3) Rebooted Orbi/ Turned it off for a few minutes/ pressed reset button

4) Restarted my computer

5) Made sure no firewall issues 

6) Played the game on my laptop (different computer), on wifi, and encountered the same problem. 

I first suspected my isp but upon their advice, connected my PC directly to the wall (without going through orbi) and had no more disconnects. 

So this is an Orbi problem. Please help. My Orbi runs the latest firmware.

Message 1 of 133
DMatuza
Guide

Just wanted to chime in and say you are not alone.... I am having the same problem and it all started today. If I play any MMO or my sons play their first persons shooters the internet works for a little bit and then cuts out for a split second (but long enough to drop the server). I have been fighting it all day, I down flashed to 3.2.9 for 3.2.10 no luck. I factory reset the router, no luck. If I hook my computer up directly to the cable modem it works fine. Some thing changed and I think it was in 3.2.10 as thats what the firmware was this morning and I didnt flash it. I am not sure why down flashing to 3.2.9 doesnt help. 

I am using Comcast internet with a CM1150V Modem, when I log in to the modem everything seems great. I may try having Comcast reporvision it tomorrow if no one can help with the Router issue. 

My guess is that its either the WAN port connection issue or some kind of packet loss as all my other 35 smart devices aren't affected they just keep working right along like nothing happened. 

Message 2 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

What version of FW is currently loaded? v3.2.9.2?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT that the RBR is connected too? 
Who is your ISP? 

Has a factory reset and setup of the RBR been performed since last update? 

Using default settings for DNS on the RBR or custome?

@katkit wrote:

Suddenly for no reason, since this morning, every 15-30 minutes my connection with WoW (World of Warcraft game) drops. I get disconnected but can quickly reconnect within the minute. For context, my PC is connected to the router (main, not sattelite) via an ethernet cable.

To eliminate other sources of problems i did the following, which DID NOT solve the frequent Disconnects:

1) Flushed DNS/ IP config

2) Reinstalled the game

3) Rebooted Orbi/ Turned it off for a few minutes/ pressed reset button

4) Restarted my computer

5) Made sure no firewall issues 

6) Played the game on my laptop (different computer), on wifi, and encountered the same problem. 

I first suspected my isp but upon their advice, connected my PC directly to the wall (without going through orbi) and had no more disconnects. 

So this is an Orbi problem. Please help. My Orbi runs the latest firmware.

Message 3 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

"I am having the same problem and it all started today." Has the RBR worked up to this point? If so, I would think this is not a Orbi issue. 

Try a factory reset on the CM modem. Power off the RBR while the CM modem resets and reconnects to ISP services, then power ON.

Using default DNS addresses from ISP or custom DNS?

@DMatuza wrote:

Just wanted to chime in and say you are not alone.... I am having the same problem and it all started today. If I play any MMO or my sons play their first persons shooters the internet works for a little bit and then cuts out for a split second (but long enough to drop the server). I have been fighting it all day, I down flashed to 3.2.9 for 3.2.10 no luck. I factory reset the router, no luck. If I hook my computer up directly to the cable modem it works fine. Some thing changed and I think it was in 3.2.10 as thats what the firmware was this morning and I didnt flash it. I am not sure why down flashing to 3.2.9 doesnt help. 

I am using Comcast internet with a CM1150V Modem, when I log in to the modem everything seems great. I may try having Comcast reporvision it tomorrow if no one can help with the Router issue. 

My guess is that its either the WAN port connection issue or some kind of packet loss as all my other 35 smart devices aren't affected they just keep working right along like nothing happened. 

Message 4 of 133
cleverpixels
Aspirant

I had the same issue with Destiny 2, both on PC and PS4. I even happen to have a spare RBR850 router and tried swapping it out and still had the same issue. It seems to be a firmware issue which coincidentally installed last night.

1. Try downloading the firmware for your router and satellite(s) here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#RBR850%20(Orbi%20Router)%20Firmware%20Version%20...
2. Follow telnet instructions online to disable automatic updates for your Orbi: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6N1atnfZGYE
3. In the Firmware Update section click on the Manual Update tab. Follow the instructions to upload the unzipped chk file(s) you downloaded from Netgear’s website.
Message 5 of 133
katkit
Tutor

I just downgraded my FW to V3.2.9.2 and it is still disconnecting. Followed the instructions and used telnet to stop auto updating (and router is still showing 3.2.9.2) but no bueno 😞

Maybe i should flash down even further

Message 6 of 133
cleverpixels
Aspirant

I ended up seeing the same disconnects after downgrading to that version too. I do still believe that firmware caused this issue as it only started happening yesterday morning. I might try the same thing and go down even further but I noticed that 3.2.9.2 added support for more than 2 satellites. Just a heads up.
Message 7 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

If this only just started happening and was working prior, then this maybe a WoW services or an ISP issue. 

You should file a support ticket if you feel this is a Orbi issue. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 133
DMatuza
Guide

Testing today didn't fair any better, I down-graded to 3.2.8 and factory restored it. Same issue. I tried turning things off and on in the WAN setting nothing changes. I have had the satellite off since its been a different firmware. As of right now I am testing again with my old Asus Router which is still setup with my wifi setting as before if that works without drops then its the Orbi.... and maybe some weird connection issue with the Cable Modem. I did have this issue (similar) before on the Asus router being to aggressive when it when to get a new IP from the cable modem (but that was once a week) and I changed the setting in the router (you can't in Orbi) but I am not sure that's the issue neither just throwing it out there. And I just saw the last post its not WOW. Its across all games that are sending data packets back and fourth all the time. To me this data is getting interrupted every 10-20 mintues for a split second but enough to drop the connection.  Like I said all my other smart devices don't see any change and keep working right along except my Echo 5 Show will have a orange bar once in a while across the bottom for a few seconds showing it didn't have internet.

Do  we have a common factor? I have Xfinity Internet (1 gig) and a Netgear CM1150V Modem. 

Also has anyone tried factory restoring their cable modem? I am a little worried about doing that as I am not sure then if I need to reactivate it again and deal with all that or if it will reprovision on its own. 

One last thing as I have been writing this my MMO have been running in the back ground now for over a 40 mintues without any drops so I have to say its an Orbi issue and wether its an Orbi issue with my cable modem thats yet to be seen.

Message 9 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset of a cable modem will not deactivate the modem from the ISP. Only clears out any user configurations and networking settings and buffers. You safe to perform the reset.

Has WoW been working for you with the RBR up to recently? 

Is this a PC or game console that your seeing this with? 

I have xbox and roommmate play CoD last nite with no issues. However my RBR850 is on a beta v11 version. Something you might ask @Christian_R  about and get access to the beta forum.

I'm on a 1G service connected to a CM1100 cable modem.

@DMatuza wrote:

Testing today didn't fair any better, I down-graded to 3.2.8 and factory restored it. Same issue. I tried turning things off and on in the WAN setting nothing changes. I have had the satellite off since its been a different firmware. As of right now I am testing again with my old Asus Router which is still setup with my wifi setting as before if that works without drops then its the Orbi.... and maybe some weird connection issue with the Cable Modem. I did have this issue (similar) before on the Asus router being to aggressive when it when to get a new IP from the cable modem (but that was once a week) and I changed the setting in the router (you can't in Orbi) but I am not sure that's the issue neither just throwing it out there. And I just saw the last post its not WOW. Its across all games that are sending data packets back and fourth all the time. To me this data is getting interrupted every 10-20 mintues for a split second but enough to drop the connection.  Like I said all my other smart devices don't see any change and keep working right along except my Echo 5 Show will have a orange bar once in a while across the bottom for a few seconds showing it didn't have internet.

Do  we have a common factor? I have Xfinity Internet (1 gig) and a Netgear CM1150V Modem. 

Also has anyone tried factory restoring their cable modem? I am a little worried about doing that as I am not sure then if I need to reactivate it again and deal with all that or if it will reprovision on its own. 

One last thing as I have been writing this my MMO have been running in the back ground now for over a 40 mintues without any drops so I have to say its an Orbi issue and wether its an Orbi issue with my cable modem thats yet to be seen.

Message 10 of 133
DMatuza
Guide

I don't have WoW its a different MMO and my sons FP Shooters do the samething. Even when my one son plays on his Wii Switch it cuts out if playing an online game.

Message 11 of 133
cleverpixels
Aspirant

I agree it's not WoW or the ISP. I don't play WoW, but I do play Destiny 2 and have been seeing these issues since the firmware update. I have Ting Fiber and contacted them yesterday - they didn't see any drops on their end and my light signals were perfect (much higher than average). I replaced all the ethernet cables in my setup with new ones, and I even happened to have a brand new Orbi RBR850 in a box that I tried using instead of my other RBR850. Funny enough - that one had the old firmware out of the box and was working until it upgraded itself to V3.2.10.11. I then tried a different router and that worked fine, but then I lose my mesh and I'm out a lot of money. 

My conclusion is it's definitely the Orbi and it can't be a coincidence that it started failing just as soon as it upgraded its firmware to V3.2.10.11 yesterday.

Message 12 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

This is hitting me too.

Orbi AX system and Netgear CM1150V cable modem.

All was fine until this firmware version was pushed to my Orbi. Manually downgraded to previous version of the firmware and the disconnects persisted. I also get disconnected from Discord and my work VPN in addition to having troubles getting DC'd from WoW every 10 minutes or so.

I believe I have my old Orbi system somewhere, I will set that unit back up just to confirm it being the Orbi AX dying.

Message 13 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you change the Orbi to AP mode and use your prior router with it's wifi disabled? 

@cleverpixels wrote:

I agree it's not WoW or the ISP. I don't play WoW, but I do play Destiny 2 and have been seeing these issues since the firmware update. I have Ting Fiber and contacted them yesterday - they didn't see any drops on their end and my light signals were perfect (much higher than average). I replaced all the ethernet cables in my setup with new ones, and I even happened to have a brand new Orbi RBR850 in a box that I tried using instead of my other RBR850. Funny enough - that one had the old firmware out of the box and was working until it upgraded itself to V3.2.10.11. I then tried a different router and that worked fine, but then I lose my mesh and I'm out a lot of money. 

My conclusion is it's definitely the Orbi and it can't be a coincidence that it started failing just as soon as it upgraded its firmware to V3.2.10.11 yesterday.

Message 14 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

So your Orbi AX WAS working with WoW before the FW update? Just need to confirm this.

I would factory reset the RBR and CM modem and setup the RBR from scratch. 

I've been running v11 for a few weeks now, haven't seen any issues. However I don't play WoW. Xbox here. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

This is hitting me too.

All was fine until this firmware version was pushed to my Orbi. Manually downgraded to previous version of the firmware and the disconnects persisted. I also get disconnected from Discord and my work VPN in addition to having troubles getting DC'd from WoW every 10 minutes or so.

I believe I have my old Orbi system somewhere, I will set that unit back up just to confirm it being the Orbi AX dying.

Message 15 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So your Orbi AX WAS working with WoW before the FW update? Just need to confirm this.

I've been running v11 for a few weeks now, haven't seen any issues. However I don't play WoW. Xbox here. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

This is hitting me too.

First thing I tried. It was still dropping all traffic (wired and wireless) for about 15 seconds every 15 minutes.

I pre-ordered the Orbi AX and not have had a single issue since installation when it launched months ago. No changes to modem model either.

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 16 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm, well something that FW may have broke. Do a manual downgrade to v3.2.9.2 on the RBR using the downloadable file. Use IE11 or FF to apply it to the RBR. You can leave the RBS at v11. I don't think the RBS needs to be downgraded. I would turn OFF the RBS while your troubleshooting this as well. 

I've been using v11 since it game out on beta in the beta forum. No disconnects or anything and I have two RBSs. There wired though. 

I would file a support ticket and let NG know what your seeing.

I have passed this on to a forum moderator. 

If you have a prior router, you can use it, disable the WiFi on this prior router and setup the RBR850 for AP mode and run your mesh in this configuration. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

This is hitting me too.

First thing I tried. It was still dropping all traffic (wired and wireless) for about 15 seconds every 15 minutes.

I pre-ordered the Orbi AX and not have had a single issue since installation when it launched months ago. No changes to modem model either.

Message 17 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hmm, well something that FW may have broke. Do a manual downgrade to v3.2.9.2 on the RBR using the downloadable file. Use IE11 or FF to apply it to the RBR. You can leave the RBS at v11. I don't think the RBS needs to be downgraded. I would turn OFF the RBS while your troubleshooting this as well. 

I've been using v11 since it game out on beta in the beta forum. No disconnects or anything and I have two RBSs. There wired though. 

I would file a support ticket and let NG know what your seeing.

I have passed this on to a forum moderator. 

If you have a prior router, you can use it, disable the WiFi on this prior router and setup the RBR850 for AP mode and run your mesh in this configuration. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

This is hitting me too.

Also already tried manually downgrading the firmware to 3.2.9.2, disconnects persisted after. I consider myself a pretty savvy user, so I've exhausted the usual methods, which is why I came here to see if others were complaining. To my delight (since it's not just me) others are indeed having the exact same issue.

Message 18 of 133
DMatuza
Guide

I factory reset the the cable modem, no luck. I will go back to the old router and setup the Orbi for AP and see what happens. I wonder if its different hardware versions and thats why some work and some don't.

Message 19 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Please file a support ticket. Let NG know whats happening. Might ask about an RMA as last resort. 

Do the disconnect happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Also already tried manually downgrading the firmware to 3.2.9.2, disconnects persisted after. I consider myself a pretty savvy user, so I've exhausted the usual methods, which is why I came here to see if others were complaining. To my delight (since it's not just me) others are indeed having the exact same issue.

Message 20 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

To confirm, you all have the RBK850 series Orbi AX right? There is a 840 series...

Most HW versions currently are v1. Hasn't been enough time for any v2s to appear, unless NG snuck something in under the radar. 

Check your stickers under the RBR. Should be v1. 

Let us know how AP mode works out for you. 

Please file a support ticket as well. The more NG knows about this, hopefully fixed sooner then later.

@DMatuza wrote:

I factory reset the the cable modem, no luck. I will go back to the old router and setup the Orbi for AP and see what happens. I wonder if its different hardware versions and thats why some work and some don't.

Message 21 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please file a support ticket. Let NG know whats happening. Might ask about an RMA as last resort. 

Do the disconnect happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

I have the Orbi AX using a wired backhaul. The devices dropping traffic are also wired directly to the router. Wired, on wireless, all devices lose traffic when it happens.

Message 22 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here with wired backhaul. 

And you do have the Orbi 850 series system. Not the 840 right? 

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there switch in between? Just wondering here. 

Have you pulled the power adapter from the RBR for 1 minute then plug back in? Just something to try. 

Wondering why v3.2.9.2 isn't bringing your RBR back to a stable state.

Last resort if you want to try, if you have v3.2.9.2 RBR file already. Disconnect the RBR from the modem. Factory reset,skip the setup wizard. Re-apply the v3.2.9.2 RBR file. After it processes and comes back to ready, factory reset once more. Walk thru the setup wizard, don't add the RBS and avoid or skip the FW update check. Id set a different SSID name temporarily. Setup the RBR for router mode. I would set a manual channel, 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. Any un-used channel on 5Ghz. Try 48. Leave all devices disconnected from the RBR accept for you one wired PC. Reboot the CM modem and connect the RBR to the modem. Check internet access with your PC and connect just 1 wireless device. Let this run for a bit or until you see the problem happen again. Let us know if you get to this point with out a problem. Trying to see if we can get your RBR stable again. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

I have the Orbi AX using a wired backhaul. The devices dropping traffic are also wired directly to the router. Wired, on wireless, all devices lose traffic when it happens.

Message 23 of 133
DaytonaZ33
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Same here with wired backhaul. 

And you do have the Orbi 850 series system. Not the 840 right? 

Is the RBS directly connected to the RBR or is there switch in between? Just wondering here. 

Have you pulled the power adapter from the RBR for 1 minute then plug back in? Just something to try. 

Wondering why v3.2.9.2 isn't bringing your RBR back to a stable state.

Last resort if you want to try, if you have v3.2.9.2 RBR file already. Disconnect the RBR from the modem. Factory reset,skip the setup wizard. Re-apply the v3.2.9.2 RBR file. After it processes and comes back to ready, factory reset once more. Walk thru the setup wizard, don't add the RBS and avoid or skip the FW update check. Id set a different SSID name temporarily. Setup the RBR for router mode. Leave all devices disconnected from the RBR accept for you one wired PC. Reboot the CM modem and connect the RBR to the modem. Check internet access with your PC and connect just 1 wireless device. Let this run for a bit or until you see the problem happen again. Let us know if you get to this point with out a problem. Trying to see if we can get your RBR stable again. 

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Orbi 850 series. 

RBS connects to RBR via an unmanaged switch.

However with an iPad verified connected to the RBR WiFi, I've confirmed the disconnects affect both the Satellite and Router, and both WiFi and wired connections to both satellite and router.

The issue not being resolved by manually downgrading the firmware is confusing to me as well.

Message 24 of 133
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of this switch? Just curious. 

Plese try my suggestion about downgrading FW with the RBR off line with the modem. Try this process and see if the RBR will come back as stable. I to find it very odd that one update has destablized your system and even downgrading it hasn't fixed it. Smiley Frustrated

@DaytonaZ33 wrote:

Orbi 850 series. 

RBS connects to RBR via an unmanaged switch.

However with an iPad verified connected to the RBR WiFi, I've confirmed the disconnects affect both the Satellite and Router, and both WiFi and wired connections to both satellite and router.

The issue not being resolved by manually downgrading the firmware is confusing to me as well.

Message 25 of 133
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7