Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Odd Internet Issues - Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 System

BigSchu22
Aspirant

Odd Internet Issues - Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 System

Hi,

I've been successfully using a Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 System - AX4200 - 3 pack (RBK753) for about a year, but for several weeks now, I am experiencing annoying problems with one of the satellites.

I have a desktop directly connected to a satellite via Ethernet, in my office.  For some reason, google links do not work/resolve, download stall or fail intermittently, search fields fail, emails won't completely load, etc.

However, speed tests and online gaming work just fine. 

This issue does not occur on my other desktop, connected via WiFi to the same satellite. 

When I reset my Verizon router, the Orbi router, and all the satellites a while back, the issue resolved.  However, quickly returned in a day or so.

I'm stumped.  I've check and rechecked all my settings, no other devices/computers have this issue, only the one connected via Ethernet.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Odd Internet Issues - Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 System

Try the wireless adapter. You can always add a ethernet adapter as well. Most on board or built in adapters I find work ok but add-ons can be more stable. 

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 21

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What verizon router is it? 

If its a modem/router combo device, is it in passthrough mode? Or the Orbi's IP address in its DMZ?

Otherwise the orbi is in a double nat. 

Message 2 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Hi!

It's the Verizon G3100 Fios Router, doesn't appear to be a combo cable modem, but it does have MOCA out for the Verizon set-top boxes.

The Orbi router is in access point mode and has a static IP assigned in the FIOS Router - no DMZ.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

So the G3100 is a combo device. but you have the orbi in AP mode meaning the G3100 is handling dhcp/dns for it. 

I'd try going into the g3100 and changing the default dns. 

Try a different DNS Server. Here's a few for ipv4. Also remember to change the ipv6 dns server if ipv6 is enabled
CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1
GoogleDNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Message 4 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Done!  Address resolution and general connection issues seem to be resolved!

Message 5 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Temporary respite, still definitely an issue.  I have to click/refresh links sometimes 10 times to get them to load. 

Still having issues with any program that has to phone home for downloading updates or patches, they always fail or stall.

Direct downloads and streaming are all working fine.

Message 6 of 21
plemans
Guru

If the orbi is in ap mode, the G3100 is the one handling all the dhcp/dns resolution. Not the orbi

Message 7 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Correct, I updated the DNS servers on the Verizon router, didn't help. 

I feel like it's an Orbi issue because it only occurs on the desktop connected directly via Ethernet to an Orbi satellite.  All other devices connected to the mesh network via wifi do not have this problem.

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 9 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Hi there!

House is about 4000 square feet.  Unfortunately, the Verizon services enter the house in a far basement corner, which is why I purchased the Orbi mesh system to begin with.

Hardware VersionRBR750

Firmware VersionV4.6.8.2_2.1.9

GUI Language VersionV3.0.1.5_2.1.30.3

Operation ModeAP

The Orbi router is in the basement corner near the Verizon router, the first satellite is on the first level sort of in the middle of the house, and the second satellite is on the second level at the other end of the house.

So, going top down, satellite - far left, satellite - middle, router - far right.

2.4 GHz channels are on auto.  5 GHz are 36 + 40 + 44 + 48(P).

I used WiFi analyzer when setting up, there were no overlaps with neighbors, and I just re-verified this a few days ago.

As I said, anywhere using WiFi in the house I'm getting 200-300 Mbps down and no interruptions.  I only have weird connectivity issues on the desktop that is directly connected to the satellite on the second level via Ethernet.  I'm constantly getting "you are not connected to the Internet" error, weird latency, web addresses not resolving, patches and automatic updates failing, emails won't send, dynamic web content won't load, etc.

No issue on any WiFi device.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)?

Is it the only desktop that has this problem? Try a different wired PC connected to the RBS? 

Try Swapping RBS with each other to see if problem follows or remains at this one location. 

Try channels 1 and 40. 

Basements are not good places for the main RBR. Concrete and steel will be problematic. 

Message 11 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Good Morning!

The satellites are on separate floors, but they're both 30+ feet from the router.

Unfortunately, I had no choice but to locate the router near the Verizon router in the basement where the Verizon service enters the house... I can't run a CAT 5 cable upstairs due to the basement located next to a slab foundation.

However, I am NOT having any wireless issues, backhaul status is always "Good."  All WiFi connected devices perform well, i always get 200-300 Mbps down.

I did change the wireless channels to 1 and 40 per your guidance.

I have also updated the router and satellite firmware to the latest version.

I updated my Intel NIC drivers as well.

I also switched the satellites as you requested last time, same issues.  Only with Ethernet connected devices.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF one RBS and work with just the RBR and one RBS?

Is it only this one wired PC connected to the RBS that sees this issue. Can you try a different PC or laptop if you have one to compare?

What CAT# cable are you using between the RBS and the PC? CAT6 is recommended.

Message 13 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

I am using a high quality CAT 5e cable, but I will change to CAT 6 once it arrives.

I have tested a laptop directly connected to the satellite, and have not experienced any of the same issues thus far.

Perhaps the onboard NIC for the motherboard is slowly beginning to fail on my desktop?

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the ethernet adapter drivers are up to date for the brand of that adapter.

Would need to put in a different ethernet adapter in to the desktop and see if this changes the behavior. 

Message 15 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

They are the latest drivers supplied by Intel, recently downloaded. 

I have a support ticket in with MSI to see if they have an suggestions on offer.  This wasn't an issue a few months ago, it's not uncommon for onboard soundcards and ethernet adapters to fail. 

I have a wireless adapter I could test with, but not ethernet.

Message 16 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the wireless adapter. You can always add a ethernet adapter as well. Most on board or built in adapters I find work ok but add-ons can be more stable. 

Message 17 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Definitely seems to be the motherboard on-board Intel gigabit Ethernet adapter that was intermittently failing.

New wireless adapter is working flawlessly.  Kind of silly to have wireless a few inches from the satellite, but if I ever move this desktop, wireless will be less limiting.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You can put in a ethernet adapter as well. Glad the wifi adapter is working though.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 19 of 21
BigSchu22
Aspirant

Indeed, but I'm running out of PCIE slots, and one is disabled by the second NVME drive since they share lanes.  Plus, don't want to choke out the fans on my graphics card. 🙂

Someday, I may switch it out, but speeds are comparable due to all the wireless backhauling to the basement anyway.

I will mark resolved, thank you.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Roger that. 👍

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation