Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

One satellite not relaying guest wifi network (RBR850/RBS850)

oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

One satellite not relaying guest wifi network (RBR850/RBS850)

Hi

I have a RBR850 orbi router, with two RBS850 satellites connected via a wired connection

One of the satellites has stopped transmitting the guest wifi network, the other satellite and main router work fine.   The main wifi network also works fine on all three devices

I have tried

• disabling/re-enabling the guest network
  • factory resetting and re-pairing the wayward satellite
  • playing around with reducing the the overall network wifi power transmit on both 2.4 & 5Ghz 

Any other ideas?  Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

Re: One satellite not relaying guest wifi network (RBR850/RBS850)

Definitely something with the switch.   I managed to directly connect the satellites to the router and everything magickly works.   Is this an oddity with this switch or has anyone seen similar behaviour on other switches?

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 27

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a LAN switch or patch panel in between these devices? 

Message 2 of 27
plemans
Guru

what firmware version are you on? 

There was just a release of new firmware on the official site yesterday

Message 3 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

Thanks for both responses - I should have included the firmware details, apologies.  I'm running V4.6.3.16_2.0.51 on all three devices

I'm connected to a BT FTTP modem (unsure of exact version) - but would this really impact the guest wifi on one satellite?

Message 4 of 27
plemans
Guru

the newer firmware might help. 

You can try downloading it and installing it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx

Message 5 of 27
plemans
Guru

always install the satellites first, then the router.
Message 6 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

All updated to 4.6.7.13 (odd the router didn't recognise this version via an online update?) - sadly still the same issue

Message 7 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@oOo-MPD-oOo wrote:

All updated to 4.6.7.13 (odd the router didn't recognise this version via an online update?) - sadly still the same issue

Message 8 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

I did a reset and re-pair on the troublesome satellite before FW update... but not after.   I can try again now.

Or are you suggesting a full router factory reset?

Message 9 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes...

Message 10 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

Complete factory reset of all three devices, reset up router, re-pair satellite all working again.

Sadly exactly the same problem....

Thanks for your ongoing help

Message 11 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Thanks for trying...going to look into this. 

Just as a quick test, disable WPA security on Guest Network and apply the change. After the RBR and RBS make the change, see if your wireless device connects to the RBS on the GN. Let us know what happens. 

Change the GN WPA back to enabled/WPA2.

Message 12 of 27
FarmerBob1
Luminary

I know that people hate to hear "Have you tried Unpluging and Plugging it back in?". I mean the Factory Reset. Beleive it or not as far as we have come hardware should always be Factory Reset before and after a FW update. In the old days, last week, it was an imperitive to get everything in its right place and the things that no longer belong gone.

But what I didn't see mentioned was a "Pin-Hole Reset". That's the Granddaddy of all Resets.

Just take an opened paper clip and above the, hopefully Green LED, on the back is a little hole. The "Pin-Hole". Press the paper clip in the hole until you feel it "click" a button. Hold it for about 10-12 seconds unitl the Green light starts flshing and turns Amber. Take it out and let the RBS fully reboot and set it up and see if you have your Guest Network back?

If they did mention this and you've done it. Let me know. There's two more versions of this ritual.

Message 13 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Thought I didn't get a chance to test router mode, I had my 8 series already in AP mode so I connected it up to a R7960P. 

I first tested the RBR with an Iphone...I was able to get my iPhone 12 Max Pro connected, though the first time I noticed it quickly disconnected and went back to the primary SSID. I tried a 2nd time and the phone then connected, however a "No Internet" message was seen on the phone for several seconds. Then that went away and it finally seemed to fully connect and set internet. 

I turned on 1 RBS downstairs and let it sync. After about 5 minutes it was fully synced. 
I took my iPhone and a Anderoid pad downstairs near the 1 RBS and both devices connected and remained connected. 

Leaving my devices there, I went back up stairs to my PC and captured this:

RBS850GuestNetworkDevices.png

The 192.168.2.### confirms they are on the Guest Network. 

This is in AP mode. I'll try and find some time to test router mode. 

Message 14 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, Thanks for trying...going to look into this. 

Just as a quick test, disable WPA security on Guest Network and apply the change. After the RBR and RBS make the change, see if your wireless device connects to the RBS on the GN. Let us know what happens. 

Change the GN WPA back to enabled/WPA2.

Disabled security on GN, and problem persists.   Might have been a glitch but the detault "NETGEAR-Guest" network appeared for a few seconds (I couldn't connect to it with or without password)

Message 15 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

When I reset the satellites - I used the pin=hole reset, but I used the menu based factory reset for the router

@FarmerBob1 wrote:

I know that people hate to hear "Have you tried Unpluging and Plugging it back in?". I mean the Factory Reset. Beleive it or not as far as we have come hardware should always be Factory Reset before and after a FW update. In the old days, last week, it was an imperitive to get everything in its right place and the things that no longer belong gone.

But what I didn't see mentioned was a "Pin-Hole Reset". That's the Granddaddy of all Resets.

Just take an opened paper clip and above the, hopefully Green LED, on the back is a little hole. The "Pin-Hole". Press the paper clip in the hole until you feel it "click" a button. Hold it for about 10-12 seconds unitl the Green light starts flshing and turns Amber. Take it out and let the RBS fully reboot and set it up and see if you have your Guest Network back?

If they did mention this and you've done it. Let me know. There's two more versions of this ritual.

Message 16 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if you may have faulty system that no FW will fix. Even if security is disabled. 

I'd open up a support ticket and ask about a RMA...

I'll still check my 8 series out in router mode today to be sure.

@oOo-MPD-oOo wrote:

Disabled security on GN, and problem persists.   Might have been a glitch but the detault "NETGEAR-Guest" network appeared for a few seconds (I couldn't connect to it with or without password)

Message 17 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

Many thanks for your help - I'll do that

Message 18 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 19 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

Just had a thought - the satellites are connected via a Netgear GS724T switch.  Is there anything strange about the GN traffic (e.g. VLAN ID's) that it might be filtering out is there?

Message 20 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha, Yes, this is good to know. This is a managed switch. Can you access it's web page and ensure that ALL IGMP protocol features are disabled on the switch? Also check to see if you can disable any Green Ethernet features as well. Some switches you can enable or disable this feature, though I'm not seeing this listed...

What Rev # is the switch? V#?

Message 21 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ah ha, Yes, this is good to know. This is a managed switch. Can you access it's web page and ensure that ALL IGMP protocol features are disabled on the switch? Also check to see if you can disable any Green Ethernet features as well. Some switches you can enable or disable this feature, though I'm not seeing this listed...

What Rev # is the switch? V#?

I can confirm

• It's a v3 swtich (boot version B5.1.1.1 and software version 5.4.2.25)
  • All Green ethernet config's are disabled

Where can I see the IGMP protocol features?  I can't immediately find them

Message 22 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 27
oOo-MPD-oOo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Start at page 113:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS716TV2/GS716T_GS724T-SWA-October2012.pdf

I suppose I very much deserved a RTFM response Smiley Very Happy

I've gone through that and compared with switch - all of the IGMP stuff is all disabled/empty

Message 24 of 27
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something else with this model switch that could be causing problems. You might try NGs GS 1 series. These are working for me. GS105/108. Also GS 308v4 is working for me as well. 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7