Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 4200 (RBR754) with FIOS Internet/ TV MOCA Backhaul

VSGKC2
Aspirant

Orbi 4200 (RBR754) with FIOS Internet/ TV MOCA Backhaul

I have the RBK752 (Orbi AX4200 router with 3 satelites) and I am also A Verizon FIOS internet (Gigabit service) and TV customer.  My FIOS Router (G1100) remains the primary router and the Orbi router (RBR750) is set up in AP mode (LAN port from G1100 connected to Internet port of Orbi).  The Orbi works fine when the router connects to the Orbi Satellites wirelessly (RBS750), and my Verizon STB boxes have no problem connecting to internet (guides/ DVR) as they are still in the same setup as before I installed the Orbi system.  My Verizon FIOS Internet and TV also work fine where I have the OPT Ethernet line running to the WAN port on the G1100, and I have the G1100 also connected to the MOCA cable providing the STB's internet access.

That said, I want to create a wired backhaul between by Orbi router/ satellites using the COAX lines in my home to improve performance.  To support this effort, I bought 4 GoCoax MOCA adapters (2.5 MHz) so that I could connect the router and each of my 3 satellites to the MOCA line currently being used by Verizon services. 

- At each Orbi satellite location, I run the MOCA line through a splitter with one line going to the Verizon STB box and the other going into the MOCA port of the GoCoax adapter.  I then connect the LAN port (Ethernet) of the GoCoax adapter to a LAN port of the Orbi satellte.  For the record, I originally tried conecting the 'TV' connection from the GoCoax adapter directly to the Verizon STB box (eg no splitter), but got 'no data connectivity' on the Verizon STB, so I assumed Verizon STB's not compatable with GoCoax adapter TV port - which is why I use a splitter to allow separate MOCA connections to the STB and the GoCoax adapter.

- For the Orbi Router, I had an additional consideration which is I not only want to connect back the the Orbi router for wired backhaul, but I also need to maintain a MOCA connection back to the FIOS G1100 router so the STB's can connect with the internet.  Given these 2 requirements, I run the MOCA line through a splitter, with one line going directly back to the FIOS G1100, and second line going to the GoCoax adapter.  I then connect the LAN port of the GoCoax adapter to a LAN port of the Orbi Router to complete the wired backhaul.  

The issue with above is that my Verizon STB's all indicate "no data connectivity" once I connect the MOCA backhaul for the Orbi devices.  This seem's odd to me, in that the STB's all stil have a direct MOCA connection back the FIOS Router G1100, as they did originally, given I used splitters at each MOCA location.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?  Thanks in advance for any guidance.  

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi 4200 (RBR754) with FIOS Internet/ TV MOCA Backhaul

Adding splitters doesn't actually split the data stream.

And if the 2 technologies aren't compatible or if the G1100 has issues with it, they'd need to be on a seperate entire line, not just the ends.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

For wired RBS to work, they have to be connected behind the RBR, not the ISP router:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 3 of 5
VSGKC2
Aspirant

I tried the mocha backhaul again per your advice above; specifically:

- Satellite locations: Used a splitter to separate the GoCoax adapter and the coax going into the STB (though per comment above this may not are a difference if GoCoax is not compatible with Verizon STB - tbd).  

- Orbi Router (in AP mode): Then at the router, i similarly use a splitter to keep the GoCoax adapter separate from the coax cable going back into the FIOS G1100 router (which is for the STB's).  I then connected the GoCoax adapter to a LAN port on my Orbi RBR750.

it worked initially for the first satellite - meaning after connecting the RBS750 to the GoCoax adapter, I reset the STB and had data connectivity.

However after connecting the second satellite to the GoCaox adapter, i got a data connectivity issue when i reset the STB.  Not sure why i am getting diffferent results in different rooms.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure if a splitter is a good idea. I can only presume that if you had two separate coax lines with the adapters at each end, and each separate line adapters connected behind the RBR, that the RBS should get connected at the other ends. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7