Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink RBRE960 (RBKE963)

Caprice24
Tutor

Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink

Well I wasn't able to get the Orbi 960 to get an Internet connection with Starlink V2, using the Starlink Ethernet adapter, so have filed a trouble ticket with Netgear. The unit is getting an IP address from the Starlink, as I have set up the Dynamic IP address option, and I spent 3 hours with them on the phone. They were helpful but not able to resolve the issue. They admit this is foreign territory to them, and they are escalating to tier 2 support.

It may just be a configuration issue, but as we are seeing more people sign up for Starlink service now that is being rolled out in major metropolitan areas, such as the SF Bay Area and Silicon Valley, it will behoove Netgear to issue some kind of FW patch to address this Starlink setup issue.  

Likely if it is affecting me, it will affect others. It should be plug and play, or have some kind of wizard that would detect Starlink hardware, and then make the appropriate setup changes.

Message 4 of 36

Accepted Solutions
junior0415
Guide

I just purchased the orbi 6e and tried to get ot to work with my starlink gen2 and had the same exact issue. After spending three nights on the phone with netgear tech support for 3-4 hours each time and them escalating it then escalating it again to their engineering department I was given no time frame for a fix. After much research online and trying everything I could find I decided to try a netgear gs108t switch. I plugged the switch in directly from the starlink ethernet adapter then the orbi 6e into that and it works perfect. Netgear definitely has an issue with the orbi working with starlink directly but this was the only work around I could get to work.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 36

All Replies
Caprice24
Tutor

Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink

I have the Starlink V2 (rectangular version 2) system, and recently installed the Starlink Ethernet adapter, which allows one to connect devices up directly to the Starlink router.

I have the Orbi 6e quad band mesh system (AXE110000), and have tried without luck to connect to the Starlink via their Ethernet adapter. I have also tried turning on the Orbi's AP mode as well as the normal default router mode, and have also tried changing the DNS server to be 8.8.8.8 but too didn't work. Of course, power cycling both Starlink and Orbi's (all three of them)  and disconnecting/reconnecting cables and re-power cycling was tried.

Has anyone been able to get Starlink V.2 (rectangular dishy) to connect to the Orbi 6e? If so, please publish your steps to make this work.

Note that I was able to to install the Orbi system and get it to work with my Xfinity Cable modem service and install the latest updates/patches from Netgear, as well as access the Internet fine.

The problem is just doesn't seem to want to obtain a valid IP address from the Starlink Wifi V2 and access the Internet.

Thanks,

Nick

Message 1 of 36
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink

This RBRE960 owner seems to have it working with Starlink; https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/t246sd/netgear_orbi_router/.  There are a lot of other reddit posts about Orbis, some saying it can take a long time for the Orbi to acquire an IP address.

I'm surprised that you could not get AP mode to work.  Assuming you can plug a wired PC into the Starlink equipment, get an IP via DHCP and access the Internet then the Orbi base router should be able to do exactly the same thing.  Is it unable to acquire an IP via DHCP plugged into the same ethernet port as a test PC?

Message 2 of 36
MarkRamos
Aspirant

Your suspension may be correct. When I setup my Orbi it recognized that Starlink was using it's default address range and Orbi switched to 10.0.0.0/24. Possibly you need to manually update Orbi to use another range if not occurring automatically.

Message 3 of 36
Caprice24
Tutor

To add further details to my previous reply for the Orbi 960 (AXE110000) Router, I was able to get a direct laptop connection to the Ethernet adapter working with the Starlink V2, so I know that Starlink is giving an IP address 192.168.1.158 to the laptop that allows it to connect to the Internet. 

The problem is when I hook up the Orbi. 

I have tried connecting it with a static address tied to 192.168.1.158, as well as a dynamic address set by Starlink. I have also experimented with Get DNS automatically from the ISP vs. using the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. Also, tried using the Starlink MAC address (as well as my laptop's) instead of the default MAC address, all to no avail.

Under guided instruction from Netgear Tech support, did a hard reset of the Orbi Router with a paper clip, then disconnected power from both Starlink and Orbi, and then repowered on Starlink to make sure it was connected to Internet via Starlink's built in Wifi, and then repowered up Orbi in each one of those configurations above, using dynamic IP mode and in Router mode. Nada.

Also tried static configuration of IP addresses, under "Advance Home" screen on the orbilogin.net page to the Orbi unit, I see that the IP address for the Orbi "Router Information" is 10.0.0.1, and the IP address for the Orbi "Internet Port" for static configuration is 192.168.1.158 with IP subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 and DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. 

Similar results for dynamic IP configuration with the Orbi, no Internet (and the red light lights up under the Orbi after boot).

Note here is the successful laptop connection directly to the Ethernet adapter on Starlink (eg No Orbi in the looop): using ipconfig from Windows 10 cmd window:

IPv4 Address 192.168.1.158

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
WIndows Network Profile also shows that DNS was Automatic (DHCP) Automatic IP assignment, and IP address is 192.168.1.158 and IPv4 DNS server. As 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

The above set up with the laptop works perfectly with Starlink Ethernet.

Also have tried putting the Orbi in "Access Point" mode, with the same results, no Internet.

If anybody has any ideas of how to configure the Orbi differently so that it works with the Starlink V2, I'm all ears! 

Netgear Tech support has promised a callback with their elite Tier 2 tech support engineers as they themselves are stumped.

As mentioned before, if I connect the Orbi to a Comcast/Infinity cable modem, there are no issues, and I even downloaded and installed the latest Firmware for the Orbi, and it connects perfectly to the Internet.

So don't believe there's a hardware issue, am pretty certain it's configuration issue with Orbi and the Starlink V2.   

Message 5 of 36
Mikey94025
Hero

@Caprice24 wrote:

Also tried static configuration of IP addresses, under "Advance Home" screen on the orbilogin.net page to the Orbi unit, I see that the IP address for the Orbi "Router Information" is 10.0.0.1, and the IP address for the Orbi "Internet Port" for static configuration is 192.168.1.158 with IP subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 and DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4. 

Similar results for dynamic IP configuration with the Orbi, no Internet (and the red light lights up under the Orbi after boot).

Note here is the successful laptop connection directly to the Ethernet adapter on Starlink (eg No Orbi in the looop): using ipconfig from Windows 10 cmd window:

IPv4 Address 192.168.1.158

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
WIndows Network Profile also shows that DNS was Automatic (DHCP) Automatic IP assignment, and IP address is 192.168.1.158 and IPv4 DNS server. As 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

The Orbi seems to be getting its IP address but the internet access to connected devices doesn't work -- That's the only issue, right?  One thing I see is that the subnet mask is different for the Orbi vs. what your PC has, so suggest trying 255.255.255.0.  For my Orbi AXE + Comcast the subnet mask is 255.255.248.0.

One test from your PC connected to Orbi connected to Starlink is to try tracert 8.8.8.8 and see where it goes.  On my Windows PC + Orbi + Comcast I see the following (going through my Orbi at 192.168.1.1 to  96.120.89.157, which a google search says belongs to Comcast):

C:\Users\mikey>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    24 ms     3 ms     9 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    19 ms    17 ms    19 ms  96.120.89.157
  3    17 ms    21 ms    14 ms  96.110.179.13
  4    23 ms    12 ms    20 ms  po-2-rur01.sffolsom.ca.sfba.comcast.net [69.139.198.5]
  5    20 ms    18 ms    46 ms  be-209-rar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.85.57.241]
  6    24 ms   184 ms    16 ms  be-299-ar01.santaclara.ca.sfba.comcast.net [68.86.143.93]
  7    33 ms   120 ms    92 ms  96.112.146.22
  8    34 ms    23 ms    17 ms  142.251.70.37
  9    24 ms    17 ms    22 ms  142.251.65.127
 10    22 ms    23 ms    18 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Message 6 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Try option #2 first...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-with-StarLink/m-p/2190141

@Caprice24 wrote:

Well I wasn't able to get the Orbi 960 to get an Internet connection with Starlink V2, using the Starlink Ethernet adapter, so have filed a trouble ticket with Netgear. The unit is getting an IP address from the Starlink, as I have set up the Dynamic IP address option, and I spent 3 hours with them on the phone. They were helpful but not able to resolve the issue. They admit this is foreign territory to them, and they are escalating to tier 2 support.

It may just be a configuration issue, but as we are seeing more people sign up for Starlink service now that is being rolled out in major metropolitan areas, such as the SF Bay Area and Silicon Valley, it will behoove Netgear to issue some kind of FW patch to address this Starlink setup issue.  

Likely if it is affecting me, it will affect others. It should be plug and play, or have some kind of wizard that would detect Starlink hardware, and then make the appropriate setup changes.

Message 7 of 36
Caprice24
Tutor

Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink RBRE960 (RBKE963)

Hi Mikey @Mikey94025 ,

Yes, the laptop connection Ethernet to Starlink V2. works just fine.

Here's a picture of the IP address with ipconfig cmd being run in Windows 11 Cmd line, followed by tracert to Google's DNS 8.8.8.8

Web pages load fine from the laptop directly connected to Starlink Ethernet

ipconfig_laptop_starlink.pngstarlink_tracert_from_laptop.jpg

The problems begin when I insert Orbi into the loop. 

When using Dynamic IP and regardless of whether I select Google DNS 8.8.8.8 or not, I don't get full access to the Internet through the Orbi. However ping works fine through the Orbi to Starlink, but not with network translation of websites, eg only IP addresses work, not for example www.yahoo.com.

Tracert does not work at all with IP addresses through the Orbi. 
Here you can see ipconfig on Windows shows Orbi is giving my laptop an address of 172.16.0.2 and the gateway for Orbi is 172.16.0.1. And Tracert doesn't work.

ipconfig_with_172IP lan.pnglan_setup_orbi.png

tracert_doesnt_work_with_starlink_andOrbi.png

Static IP configuration makes no difference on Orbi, still the same issue.

Message 8 of 36
Mikey94025
Hero

@Caprice24 wrote:

ipconfig_with_172IP lan.png

Just guessing since we're grasping at straws here -- Could it be an IPV6 thing?  Perhaps stick with Access Point mode (eliminate Double NAT, though you said before it still did not work) and then try disabling IPV6 in your Orbi, also try the different Internet Setup / Router MAC Address options (e.g., Use Computer MAC Address).

Message 9 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, NG has said that since this is a StarLink issue, try setting a static route on the RBR for 192.168.100.1 

Also need to ensure that the ip address for the Starlink is not on the same network as their other devices. Since the Starlink address will not change then in some cases they will need to change the third octet of their current dhcp server.

Let us know if this works. 

Message 10 of 36
junior0415
Guide

I just purchased the orbi 6e and tried to get ot to work with my starlink gen2 and had the same exact issue. After spending three nights on the phone with netgear tech support for 3-4 hours each time and them escalating it then escalating it again to their engineering department I was given no time frame for a fix. After much research online and trying everything I could find I decided to try a netgear gs108t switch. I plugged the switch in directly from the starlink ethernet adapter then the orbi 6e into that and it works perfect. Netgear definitely has an issue with the orbi working with starlink directly but this was the only work around I could get to work.
Message 11 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Even trying the Static Route configuration that was mentioned? 

Message 12 of 36
junior0415
Guide

No that wouldn't work either. There were several conversations that they had me do and a static ip was one of them where the orbi would either toggle between waiting and no internet or it would say internet good but not work. When it would say internet good I could go into command promt and ping
one website and once that happened I would get a response back. After that one every website I would try and ping would come back with an error could not be reached message. The orbi when it said internet good acted as a choke because the speed it went was comparable to dial-up then it became a wall and blocked everything.
Message 13 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for the additional information. I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

Message 14 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

There a picture of this Start Link adapter? 

I presume it's max rate is 1Gb? 

@junior0415 wrote:

Message 15 of 36
junior0415
Guide

This is a generic picture from the internet of the adapter. I'm not certain what it is rated at or why that matters with the problem that the orbi has in this thread. If you could explain the question or why this matters I would appreciate it.
Message 16 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible handshaking with the lower speed if it's a 1Gb only capable adapter where the RBRE960 supports up to 10Gb. It seems there is a USB C at the other end. Another conversion point as well that could be not handling the data correctly. 

Only seems to be a problem with this particular adapter and the 9 series. 

Message 17 of 36
Jubles
Aspirant

I'm currently having the same issue. Did you come across a fix? I saw the post about a network switch, but that's about it for advice. Did I miss something?

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Jubles.
Message 18 of 36
junior0415
Guide

No unfortunately the added switch is the only current fix that I know of.
Message 19 of 36
Jubles
Aspirant

What type of netgear gs108t switch did you get? I see a few different versions.

Also, did you have to apply specific settings to the switch? Any help is great, I'm not very smart on hardware stuff. 

Thanks for your time,

Jubles

Message 20 of 36
junior0415
Guide

I uploaded the exact model screen shot. I had to do no additional setup. I pulled it out of the box plugged in power and the cat6 cable from the starlink adapter into it and from the output on the switch into the orbi.
Message 21 of 36
Jubles
Aspirant

Orbi 6e cannot connect to Starlink RBRE960 (RBKE963)

Awesome. Thank you!

Message 22 of 36
tcard296
Initiate

I had the same problem.  I bought this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-8-port-10-100-1000-mbps-gigabit-plus-managed-switch-gray/906300... and connected it between Starlink and Orbi.  Problem solved.  I don't know why it worked, just heard that it might and tested it.  Make sure you put Starlink in Bypass Mode so it disables the Wifi and becomes basically a modem for access to the internet.  Good Luck.

Message 23 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 24 of 36
billie_a
Aspirant

I started off without the ethernet adapter, but obviously needed a wired connection to the starlink router.  I purchased a generic wi-fi extender with a wired port, paired it to the starlink wi-fi name, and orbi 6e network works fine.

I then purchased the starlink ethernet adapter, and could not get it to work reliably.  In fact, it showed the same symptoms I had previously experienced with the orbi 6e and a netgear LM1200 LTE modem with Verizon.  That is the system would gain an IP address, then a few minutes later, it would drop the connection and request a new IP address.  I thought it was related to somehow negotiating a very short lease time, but other messages here indicate it might be the ethernet connection bouncing first (as opposed to the loss of lease resetting the port).  

I have tried the orbi 6e against the ethernet adapter both in starlink router mode and in starlink bridge mode.  both experienced the same problematic behavior.  But with the wi-fi extender (extending starlink wi-fi and providing an ethernet port), the orbi works fine.

If the problem is really something to do with the hardware connection, and is solvable with a bridge, then I will give that a try. I have used the ethernet connection from starlink directly to an eero pro without any issues.  I've recently put a bridge in the middle so that a vpn device could also be isolated from the eero network (and the orbi network).  But it didn't occur to me to try the orbi wired connection again using the switch.  I will give that a try.  I'd love to remove the wi-fi extender from this setup.

btw: I'm using the orbi lan setup configuration of 192.168.64.1/18 to avoid address overlaps with starlink.  The orbi s/w doesn't seem to take the subnet mask into account, and will only give out 192.168.64.2 through 192.168.64.255.  That is an unrelated issue though (and still plenty of addresses for me).  I can always assign fixed addresses using the higher address bits.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7