Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 750 and 2.4gHz SSID

TexARC
Guide

Orbi 750 and 2.4gHz SSID

Is there any way to attach a 2.4gHz device (Ambient Weather Station) to Orbi? IOW, the device scans but cannot see an SSID for 2.4gHz.  I'm currently on hold with the 6th tech support person at NetGear, apparently no one can find anyone that knows about Orbi, but they promise to find someone to transfer me to that can help me.  

I have two Nghthawk x4S AC2200 Model EX7500 mesh extenders, which MIGHT broadcast 2.4gHz if I could only figure out how to attach one to Orbi.  Is THAT a possibility?

Message 1 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Disable AX mode on the RBR. 

Might try setting CTS value to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 32
TexARC
Guide

thanks, but the ambient weather station has its own scanner for 2.4gHz and setup, no phone app.
Message 3 of 32
TexARC
Guide

when I installed the orbi it did a firmware upgrade as part of the installation process, so I would have to guess from a distance that it is the latest version. I can check when I get home from work in about 12 hours. thanks.
Message 4 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if some of the suggestions work as well...

Check with the mfr of this device as well to see if they have any help and information. Ensure it's software or firmware is up to date. 

@TexARC wrote:
when I installed the orbi it did a firmware upgrade as part of the installation process, so I would have to guess from a distance that it is the latest version. I can check when I get home from work in about 12 hours. thanks.

Message 5 of 32
TexARC
Guide

all of the ambient weather stations rely on 2.4 GHz for connection to the router. if there is no way for orbee to provide an SSID for 2.4 GHz then that's a dead end. unless I can use one of the mesh extenders from Netgear which I mentioned in my original post? is there a way to connect one of these to orbi since they do differentiate a 5 and a 2.4 wavelength, that would be ideal. are Orbi and nighthawk mesh extender compatible?
Message 6 of 32
TexARC
Guide

i sm planning to plug a netgear ac1200 wac104 into one of the rj45 sockets on an Orbi satellite using a 10 ft cat 6e cable, with different SSIDs for it, does any see why that would not work or conflict with Orbi perhaps? Open to any and all suggestions. still have to say, the Orbi install process was VERY nice. Other than the surprise lack of a 2.4gHz SSID, of course. 🙂
Message 7 of 32
TexARC
Guide

also, i have a 3 y.o. Ambient 1002, long to get the 2000....great stuff.
Message 8 of 32
TexARC
Guide

vajim, yes...i got the Orbi last night after trying and giving up on the netgear mesh extenders for my old netgear cable modem, then a spectrum modem plus synalgos router. i did just find a related thread up here with some good tips to try. eager to get home and try! thanks to all for help, will post results. the support from ed edleman of ambient weather is without equal, btw.
Message 9 of 32
vajim
Master

Good luck Ron.  I may have to look at that Ambient 2000

Message 10 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

If the weather station is only 2.4Ghz then it will and should only see the 2.4ghz SSID signal. 5ghz will not even be used or seen by the device as it's incapable of detecting 5Ghz.  

You can turn down the power output of the RBR from 100% to 25% and see if this helps as well. Also try disabling AX mode temporarily on the RBR to see if this helps. 

@TexARC wrote:
all of the ambient weather stations rely on 2.4 GHz for connection to the router. if there is no way for orbee to provide an SSID for 2.4 GHz then that's a dead end. unless I can use one of the mesh extenders from Netgear which I mentioned in my original post? is there a way to connect one of these to orbi since they do differentiate a 5 and a 2.4 wavelength, that would be ideal. are Orbi and nighthawk mesh extender compatible?

Message 11 of 32
TexARC
Guide

"

Might try setting CTS value to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

Hi.  The firmware is the latest according to netgear - 

Firmware Version
V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

I've gone through and disabled 5mHz options throughout, as well as AX mode and setting CTS value to 2347 , the scanner on the weather station cannot see any wi-fi network.   My efforts continue. 🙂

Message 12 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Can try updating FW to see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-Firmware-Out-Today/m-p/2005684/highlight/true#M9268

Sounds like the device is not compatible or have the ability to see Smart Connect enabled wifi signals. I would recommend contacting the mfr of trhis device and ask them about this. Possible there wifi drivers are not up to date enough to see whats being broadcast by Orbi. 

@TexARC wrote:

"

Might try setting CTS value to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

Hi.  The firmware is the latest according to netgear - 

Firmware Version
V3.2.16.6_1.4.4

I've gone through and disabled 5mHz options throughout, as well as AX mode and setting CTS value to 2347 , the scanner on the weather station cannot see any wi-fi network.   My efforts continue. 🙂

Message 13 of 32
TexARC
Guide

"You can turn down the power output of the RBR from 100% to 25% and see if this helps as well. Also try disabling AX mode temporarily on the RBR to see if this helps. "

I haven't found an option that provides control of the power output of the RBR, per se.   I've made a bunch of changes to the default values, kinda thinking I am going to have to reset to factory to get everything back to the optimal settings.  🙂  

I think I am going to have to wait to for the "regular" old-fashioned router to arrive and connect it. Just have to wonder 

will it conflict with the Orbi

how far away do I need to put it from the source point (the satellite)

can it work off of the RJ45 socket on a satellite or does it need to be off the base unit

I think since I bought a Netgear router arriving tomorrow I hope, it should support the two MESH extenders, so I will end up being able to support a SENSE, Three SENSIBOs, 5 Nest cams, Two foscams, and the weather station.  I also rely on the 2.4gz to reach 45 meters out to my patio by the lake, I haven't tested the reach of "Orbi" for that function yet...to be continued...now if I can just put all the settings back to nominal...

Message 14 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You want to use channels far apart from the Orbi on 2.4Ghz, Say Orbi set for channel 11 and your other 2.4ghz wifi router set to channel 1. 

Place the other wifi router far appart from the RBR or RBS. 30 feet would be a good starting point. You might also set it's power levels as well to a low setting, if you can place it near this device. Then you should be ok. 

Message 15 of 32
Mstrbig
Master

I just did some research and it appears older firmware has issues connecting to certain routers. 

Check out this page and make sure you have the latest firmware installed. 

WiFi Firmware Update and Changes, WS-2902A, WS-2902B, WS-2902C, WS-2000 and WS-5000 | Ambient Weathe...

With regard to connecting to 2.4Ghz, there should be no problem connecting to the Orbi router.

Try unchecking Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence under orbilogin.com - Advanced - Advanced - Wireless Settingts.

Message 16 of 32
Mstrbig
Master

There may be some validity in your statement. But I've run tests with the Orbi systems, that show otherwise. Users have complained about not being able to get their weather station, WIFI thermostat, camera, nest, smart devices, old cellphones, etc. connected because their devices were 2.4Ghz only. Since we install mesh systems in homes, offices and warehouses, we deal with all sorts of different and antiquated wireless devices. Never once have we not been able to connect a device.

However, some older or stubborn WIFI devices will not see a network with security set for WPA2-PSK [AES] only. In this case we set the Orbi to WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]. This may very well be the issue with the OP's weather station.

@TexARC I found a couple more things to try as well:

1. If you own a Mesh Network (examples,  Orbi, eero or Google), temporarily turn off all of the secondary nodes, leaving only the primary node (the node connected to the Internet) powered up.If you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), temporarily turn this off.
  2. If you own a Mesh Network (examples,  Orbi, eero or Google), temporarily turn off all of the secondary nodes, leaving only the primary node (the node connected to the Internet) powered up.If you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN), temporarily turn this off.
  3. Launch the AmbientTool app on your mobile device or tablet, and make sure your phone is connected to your router. If you own a dual band router, make sure the phone is temporarily connected to the 2.4 GHz band on your router.
Message 17 of 32
TexARC
Guide

at this point I have decided to await the delivery of the rudimentary Netgear router that has distinct 2.4 and 5 bands and the ability to SHUT THE DARN 5 DOWN, so that I can attach the TWO MESH EXTENDERS from Netgear that I have, and regain connectivity for a number of currently MUTE devices throught my three stories of domicile.  My Sense, monitoring all of my electrical consumption in the house.  My Ambient Weather station, of course- by now I've lost my treasured "gold badge" from Weather Underground due to my station's current instability LOL. Many cameras.  Three Sensibo controllers for Split AC units.  <sigh>   The adventure continues... And thank you to all for suggestions.  I will return to update if I find an ORBI-based solution.

Message 18 of 32
TexARC
Guide

Thanks for the tip on channels. That makes sense.  Unfortunately Amazon screwed me on delivery, now the other router won't arrive for two or more days.  It's the worst thing about Amazon. I could have bought another/same router this evening on the way home for work, instead I trusted their message that it would be delivered by 10pm, thereby giving me the 4 day weekend to get it installed and all the other devices paired up. Instead at 8pm I get a SORRY message from them.  <argh>

Message 19 of 32
Nnyan
Tutor

I had the same problem with my Tempest and the pool equiptment.  I tried everything to no avail.  I ended up getting a TP-LINK CPE510 outdoor unit and the problem was instantly solved.  They come in 2.4 and 5Ghz units.  The bonus to it was that they have some pretty wicked range so I did not have to mount them to the part of the house that was closest to the devices i wanted to connect (and have to run a cable all that way).  I have mine mounted on the second floor roofline (next to my office where the MPOE is).  I was even able to help my neighbor get his pool equipment setup since he did not have wifi that could reach it!

Message 20 of 32
Mstrbig
Master

We've had great luck with the TP-Link CPE-710. The Azimuth is 7° and the Elevation is 9°, but the distance factor is incredible if you have a pool, building, barn, shed, etc. way back on the property.

Message 21 of 32
Nnyan
Tutor

At the time I ordered it getting the 710 would have taken a few extra weeks to get to me (and it was over kill to connect a few devices to) but definately much cooler looking then the 510s and cost delta was minimal.

Message 22 of 32
TexARC
Guide

After re-reading the threads this morning, it occurred to me that the Tenda mentioned was similar to an old Netgear extender I had in my garage.  It took a lot of digging through boxes of "retired" gear but I found it.  I had set the Orbi encryption to "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]", so after a factory reset, pressing the WPS button on the extender, and the "Sync" button on the Orbi base it attached ok.  Connected my phone to the _2GEXT wifi, and got a decent speedtest.net out of it, so then I went to the Ambient Weather terminal (itsa 1002, btw).   Took three attempts with a long, long pw, but it eventually connected, and I'm back online with it.  Yay!   The reason for another distribution system for 2.4gHz is as I listed, I have a variety of devices which require that signal, distributed throughout my house and property.  The house is constructed of concrete blocks filled with rebar and concrete, coated with concrete stucco  on steel mesh, for three stories.  So it is very wifi unfriendly and the extender just isn't strong enough.  Fortunately my transition from X10 throughout to Homeseer & Z-Wave is working well and that's what made me think I wanted to go with a wifi mesh system.  I just didn't expect Netgear would make the 2.4 so difficult(impossible) to access in the Orbi.  I wonder why they did that?  I'm very thankful to y'all for your help and suggestions!  Lakehouse Weather Station 

Message 23 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I would surmise that some of your issues are in the building material of your home. Concrete and steel will inhibity wifi travel. Also the 2.4Ghz issue is problably your weather station not having more compatible FW to work or see the wifi signal coming from the newer Orbi wifi system. I would recommend you check out what MrBig mentioned to see if there is any kind of updates for your device that may help with it. Otherwise, seems like you have it working with the alternative wifi solution. Glad it works. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 24 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@TexARC wrote:

I just didn't expect Netgear would make the 2.4 so difficult(impossible) to access in the Orbi.  I wonder why they did that? 

Here again, Netgear did not do anything difficult or impossible. All the Netgear Mesh as well as the small business systems supporting whatever the marketing people named SmartConnect or Mesh, WiFi 6, ... is IEEE standards compliant, and does support 5 GHz- as well as 2.4 GHz-only devices. 

It happened to other vendors: Certain WiFi clients - even from major vendors like Intel - had compatibility issues. Being with 802.11ax (WiFi 6) capable radios, being with access points sending out extended RRM information according to 802.11k, 802.11r, and 802.11v - these are what makes up a "Mesh" system. Popular example are Intel wireless adapters with old/outdated drivers - even the latest pre 802.11ax - failed to see the WiFi 6 SSIDs on air, or struggled to connect to these access points.

Fall-back to comparably basic access points/extenders/repeaters as suggested in this thread is certainly not a solution - it's a workaround only. A workaround for ignorant IoJ makers (hey one weather station maker even sent such a device to a customer in this thread...) which fail to keep their IoJ up2date and compliant to new and extended standards, while other fail to provide discovery Apps trying to "detect" new IoJ devices (all connecting to the very same L2 network!) and still requiring to "switch off 5 GHz" or "connect to the 2.4GHz wireless first" and the like.

The problem does go ways beyond of the initial IoJ discovery. In a Mesh environment, additional APs can become available at any time adding coverage to the SSID Mesh, offering much better signal level for the wireless clients. Because these IoJ device WiFi clients are much to cheap, they won't take care about the neighbourhood information distributed offering alternate APs on air, they won't automatically re-iterate the situation, they won't re-associate to better AP.

With a mobile device like an old tablet or notebook which does come and go to the network this isn't a big issue - it will most likely re-associate to the temporarily best radio on every reconnection. More static infrastructure devices like smart lights (switches, bulbs, ...) or e.g. wireless printers/scanners it's becoming much more critical. These devices will remain up 24*7, except of a power failure virtually never - so these IoJ will never re-associate and take any advantage of the Mesh system.

It was proposed before that there is no other way to make the vendors of these devices aware of their incompatible IoJ.

Enough said for now.

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7