Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 750 and 2.4gHz SSID

vajim
Master

Nice

This may be filed in the "I didn't research the Mesh system before purchase"

Happens to the best of us.

The pain is real for those who have experienced this example.  Like what I used to ask my kids..."what did you learn from your mistakes".  

Message 26 of 32
schumaku
Guru

The mistake isn't in the Mesh and/or the WiFi 6 system evalutaion. The problem is in the many IoJ WiFi enabled devices out there which are not properly maintained.

Message 27 of 32
vajim
Master

Yup that's pretty much what I said.  There is of course the responsibility of the consumer to understand the purchase.  

The part about the lack of standard from the vendor, is in itself another discussion. For the record, several years ago when I first dealt with the Orbi Mesh, I had a few vendors express their lack of Mesh knowledge.  Sigh.....they'll come around.

Cheers 

Message 28 of 32
TexARC
Guide

@vajim wrote:

Yup that's pretty much what I said.

So I read you saying that this is my fault for being naive/ill-informed/stupid, or else the fault of the manufacturers of other hardware that rely on the improved distance of 2.4gHz compared to 5 gHz....  Awhile back I bought two Netgear EX7500 WiFi described-as- MESH extenders online.  They worked perfectly with my C7000 cable modem, expanding the perceived SSID to a greater ranger in my home. So a much better solution than extenders that create different SSIDs.   But I then discovered the C7000 wasn't providing adequate throughput and in working with Netgear tech support (painfully) no joy.  So this por' ol' dumb pharmacist was stupid enough to figure the latest Orbi from Netgear which uses "MESH" technology would be like the C7000 + Netgear MESH extenders as far as wifi - 2.4gHz and 5gHz - but with better bandwidth.   Your very elegant distraction from the fact that Netgear decided to NOT support legacy hardware, your choosing instead blame all the people like me inferring we are too stupid, who bought said hardware "back when it was the best" or else the manufacturers of that equipment who relied on a standard of the time to be "there" does not refute the facts I am experiencing and is certainly not deserving of a kudo IMHO.   You can bet I do a better job as a pharmacist than you are doing helping people on this particular topic/product.  I'll ditch the Orbi and find a TP-Link product that supports legacy hardware without the 'tude. 

Message 29 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned earlier by MrBig, there maybe problems with the devies FW that your using that may be the main cause of problems when it's working with Orbi. There are many different wifi mfrs and wifi drivers that may or may not be fully tested out with wifi MESH systems like Orbi systems. Over all it's up to the mfr of these client devices to develop and test out there products with Mfr wifi systems. No weather they choose to do this or not, I guess its up to them. There are global wifi standards that are put forth and most major client device mfrs all seem to keep to this, however being said, there are some complex designes and configurations and such that go in to wifi drivers that may be pushing the boundries or on the other had, may not fully include some devices that may not, in there own coding and development may support new kinds of drivers and code. And with WiFI 6E as the next level for wifi thats looming supposedtly next year, I get some of these client devices may have same problem going forward. 

So it's up to the Mfr to make sure there products work on wifi systesm, however they may not choose to do this or be aware of it or maybe they feel otherwise. Again, it's up to them since its there product. NG and other wifi Mfrs just provide the platform for things to connect to. 

Hopefully you can find something that works. I would check out ASUS or D-Link or Linksys for other MESH system alternatives. I can't recommend TP-Link. 

Good Luck. 

Message 30 of 32
TexARC
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"So it's up to the Mfr to make sure there products work on wifi systesm, however they may not choose to do this or be aware of it or maybe they feel otherwise. Again, it's up to them since its there product. NG and other wifi Mfrs just provide the platform for things to connect to. "
One may also observe that it is within the realm of responsibility that NG insures their equipment work on an extremely broadly-installed and widely extant 2.4gHz-based system topology or else put it in writing that the non-expert but experienced consumer can find and read.  There is NOT ONE ORBI-based solution to my initial problem in this entire thread which worked and you  certainly did not profer a way to enable the Ambient Weather Station, 6  Nest cams, 3 Sensibo, one SENSE, nor the several other brand of IP cams I own, all relying on 2.4gHz to succesfully attach to the net via Orbi.  ALL of these manufacturers are to blame in your scheme and I cannot accept that as a rational argument.  I don't necessarily LIKE some of those mfrs (Nest, for example, is terrible in their network registration restrictions), but I've used Netgear and relied on it particularly for so long, only to drop more than $500 for something where y'all are telling me, "hey, you should've known better."   OK.  A hard lesson learned by me and rest assured if you came to me for a prescription I wouldn't adopt such an attitude.  I'm not a newbie to tech by any stretch, and this facet of Orbi is definitely a "gotcha".  

Message 31 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe a hard lession however I'm not trying to point out any short comings you may or may not have. I'm trying to let you know that in the broad scheme of things with the thousands of wireless devices out there, that it is the responsibility of those Mfrs to ensure "there" products works to wifi specifications. It's kind of hard to point all of your problems to router mfrs if most of your devices DO work with any particular wifi system yet some do not. Why do some work and some do not? Why do we always have to point to the wifi mfr as the culprit when most of the time it is NOT. 

I to have NEST controllers, D-Link cameras, Echo Dots and other devices. I haven't much problem with Orbi AX and these devices sans the NEST. Yes I'm working with NG right now on trying to find out why NEST controllers disconnect and can't reconnect for unknown reasons and during the NEST attempts to reconnect, there batterys are draing causing users having to re-charge and reconnect the controllers. Some thing that we don't see on Orbi AC however Orbi AX seems to have this problem with NEST. It would have been nice to NEST would also step up and work with NG on this as well. I don't know if they have or not. I have seen some different behaviors since this all started and NEST seems to stop attemping to reconnect after a short period of time thus no draining the battery, so someone did something with NEST at some level. 

Otherwise most of what I have experienced since getting Orbi AX has been farily good. And working with NG shows me as well they are willing to review issues to see if they are being responsible in part to see if they can correct problems. Why I reached out to NG about the NEST issue. I also reached out to Google NEST as well and have not seen any responce directly.

I'm no spring chicken either in the tech industry. 

I agree that there is a certain level of responsbility for wifi router mfrs to ensure things work for the most part. However again, when it comes to client side HW, it's also the client side Mfrs responsibility as well. Plain and simple. Kind of hard to place full responsbility on wifi router mfrs to test thousands and thousands of all different kinds of wifi devices on a wifi system. I presume there maybe some level of HW vs router system testing and probably mostly major kinds of devices, phones, pads, cameras, streamers maybe. Mostly commonly daily used items. Less common or specialized devices probably no so much or at all would be tested. However, don't know what wifi router mfrs do so this is all speculation based on my own experiences. 

So take it for what you will. Seems like you need to find a working solution for your weather device. I would also check into there product having FW issues with some wifi routers as it seem already they have some known issues. Again, something the devices Mfr needs to address. 

Good Luck. 

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7