Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 753 automatically updated

Mastra11
Apprentice

Orbi 753 automatically updated

Hello, I have an orbi RBK753 for months on routers and satellites I had the firmware version 4.6.3.16 which let's say it worked quite well for me, before without me doing anything the RBR750 router started flashing white, like when it restarts, and when restarting completed, firmware version 4.6.5.14 has been installed automatically but only on the router. On the satellites there is always the firmware version 4.6.3.16 if I look for updates on the satellites you tell me that there is no update. I have not had the opportunity to restart the satellites, but only the router because now it is night with me and the satellites are on the two floors below. What should I do to update the satellites now? Thank you very much for who will answer me
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 16

All Replies
Mastra11
Apprentice

I'm worried now. What should I do? Why did it update me automatically? 😢😢 I have read that to update manually the satellites must be updated first and then the router, instead I now have the router updated automatically and the satellites do not. Can I update the satellites to the same version of the router even if the router is up to date? Please help me and I thank you infinitely.
Message 2 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the satellites can be updated manually to the current version found on the Netgear support site:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk753.aspx#download 

Click on RBS750 and then click the link to Download the firmware for the satellite.

Once the zip file has downloaded, "unzip" it to extract the firmware image, which will be named

RBS750-v4.6.8.5.chk and make a note of where it is on your computer. (Mine would be in the "Downloads" folder. Your system may be different).

On the router, use the Attached Devices web page to learn the IP address of the satellites.

Use a web browser to open each satellite web page using the IP address, e.g. http://<IP of satellite>

Select the bottom menu item, Firmware Update.

Browse on your computer to find the image file.

Follow the directions, and the satellite will update and reboot.

Message 3 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Hi thank you so much for your reply. But then the satellites can be updated manually after even if the router has automatically updated to the new version? Now I have version 4.6.5.14 on the router and on the satellites it remains version 4.6.3.16. So from the site I download the 4.6.5.14 version for the satellites and manually install exactly? Why didn't the satellites update automatically? It's right? Thanks again for your reply.
Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

I have never seen a satisfactory explanation for how Netgear's firmware update process is so chaotic. It's just a mess.

Reading through the posts again, it is clear that the router is also not at the current release level. (sigh)  Now is your opportunity to do the satellites first and the router last.

I have some pithy comments:

• "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  If you are happy with the way your Orbi system is working and there are zero "issues", why f**k with it?
  • "Fools rush in where Angels...".  When new firmware comes out , some customers immediately rush to install it on their systems.  My preference is to wait several weeks until the posts appear in the forum describing "what happened" when they installed new firmware.
  • "If there IS a problem, no one will pay any attention until the system is on the current release".  Who is going to spend time diagnosing firmware that is obsolete?  The first piece of advice will be, "you need to update the firmware, and then we'll look at your problem."

Geez. What a cranky old fart.

Message 5 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Since last year I was using version 4.6.3.16 on routers and satellites which installed itself automatically on routers and satellites and worked quite well so I have not updated anymore. Now tonight only the router has been updated automatically to version 4.6.5.14 and the two satellites have not. So now I have the router at version 4.6.5.14 and the two satellites at version 4.6.3.16. So now can I manually update the two satellites to version 4.6.5.14 even if the router already has version 4.6.5.14? thank you so much for the replies.
Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you update manually to this version of FW on the RBS first, then RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Links gives information on how to manually update the system.

@Mastra11 wrote:
Hello, I have an orbi RBK753 for months on routers and satellites I had the firmware version 4.6.3.16 which let's say it worked quite well for me, before without me doing anything the RBR750 router started flashing white, like when it restarts, and when restarting completed, firmware version 4.6.5.14 has been installed automatically but only on the router. On the satellites there is always the firmware version 4.6.3.16 if I look for updates on the satellites you tell me that there is no update. I have not had the opportunity to restart the satellites, but only the router because now it is night with me and the satellites are on the two floors below. What should I do to update the satellites now? Thank you very much for who will answer me

Message 7 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Thank you for the answer, so I can't install version 4.6.5.14 on the satellites because it is already installed on the router? But then why did only the router update automatically? I did not want to. But is this version 4.6.8.5 final stable or a beta version? So do I still have to update the router too? Thanks for the reply.
Message 8 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If RBS are connected to the RBR and synced, use the RBS web page to update the RBS FW to v.5 first. Then load the RBR lastly using it's web page. 

I recommend using a wired PC and web browser, MS Edge or Firefox. 

v.5 is officially released FW. Not beta. 

Message 9 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Thank you for the answer if I can update tomorrow, after it has finished updating the two satellites and the router I have to turn them off for two minutes right? but this firmware version is much better than version 4.6.5.14? To update then only Microsoft Edge or Firefox should be used, not Google Chrome right? I thank you for the answer.
Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

@Mastra11 wrote:
Thank you for the answer if I can update tomorrow, after it has finished updating the two satellites and the router I have to turn them off for two minutes right? 1 minute at least. but this firmware version is much better than version 4.6.5.14? Yes. To update then only Microsoft Edge or Firefox should be used, not Google Chrome right? Correct.

Message 11 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Thanks for your availability and kindness I will let you know thanks.
Message 12 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If you need additional help please post. If you need some in person help, please find a friend or family member to help you with this if your not comfortable doing this by yourself. 

Message 13 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Thank you for the answer, unfortunately on these things it is only me who understands a little even if only the basic things I understand the more complex things no. I will let you know on this forum thank you so much.
Message 14 of 16
Mastra11
Apprentice

Hello I updated the satellites and routers, to version 4.6.8.5, first I updated one satellite then the other satellite and finally the router with the PC connected with an ethernet cable and Microsoft Edge everything was fine now routers and satellites have version 4.6.8.5 thank you for your kindness and your availability thank you.
Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7