Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 753 drops internet connections every few days, unplug plug connection to modem fixes it

zhuch07
Follower

Orbi 753 drops internet connections every few days, unplug plug connection to modem fixes it

(Reposting from https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-753-drops-internet-connections-every-few-days-unplug-plug... based on the suggestion)

My Orbi 753 mesh was working fine for a few months after I purchased it. But now every few days (every 4-5 days), the router would lost internet connection with the purple light on. I had to manually unplug and plug the connection to modem. And it immediately fixes itself. I have replaced the cable from modem to router, but it didn't help. Looking at the logs, there was not much useful infomration either.

Any advise on how to debug and fix this issue? Apology if this has already been discussed somewhere.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 753 drops internet connections every few days, unplug plug connection to modem fixes it

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 13
ezpzDUDE
Guide

I noticed that the user did not reply to your questions regading the issue of the RBK753S dropping internet connection.  

I have had three call in regarding this issue.  And our connection drops throughout the day.  I noticed that this issue popped up in 2020 and the suggestion was to upgrade to beta firmware.  My unit has been upgraded twice per the suggestion of Premium Support.  And there has been no improvement and in fact, upload has slowed down considerably.

I am beginning to suspect that the Orbi line has some issues and that I should return this for something else?  Or are there any suggestions please?  Thank you

My current fw is V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

My unit is RBK753R-100NAS with two RBK753S units

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, there are some issues with current FW on Orbi systems. NG IS aware.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@ezpzDUDE wrote:

I noticed that the user did not reply to your questions regading the issue of the RBK753S dropping internet connection.  

I have had three call in regarding this issue.  And our connection drops throughout the day.  I noticed that this issue popped up in 2020 and the suggestion was to upgrade to beta firmware.  My unit has been upgraded twice per the suggestion of Premium Support.  And there has been no improvement and in fact, upload has slowed down considerably.

I am beginning to suspect that the Orbi line has some issues and that I should return this for something else?  Or are there any suggestions please?  Thank you

My current fw is V4.6.5.14_2.0.54

My unit is RBK753R-100NAS with two RBK753S units

Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@zhuch07 wrote:

(Reposting from https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-753-drops-internet-connections-every-few-days-unplug-plug... based on the suggestion)

My Orbi 753 mesh was working fine for a few months after I purchased it. But now every few days (every 4-5 days), the router would lost internet connection with the purple light on. I had to manually unplug and plug the connection to modem. And it immediately fixes itself. I have replaced the cable from modem to router, but it didn't help. Looking at the logs, there was not much useful infomration either.

Any advise on how to debug and fix this issue? Apology if this has already been discussed somewhere.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 13
ezpzDUDE
Guide

Hi Furrye38, 

First, Thank YOU.  I have read so many posts in the NETGEAR COMMUNITY and most seem to be answered by you.  So in case anyone who was grateful has not said so, well, I am grateful, and so Thank YOU.

And thank you for the update.  BTW, do you have any suggestions on a network monitoring software I can set up on one of my Macs to record / track the number of times the network drops as well as distinguish between when the ISP has an interruption vs my local network, please?  Thank you

BTW, for some reason, Model section won't allow me to save: 

Nor is this RBK available in the pull down
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Was your problem resolved or is it still happening. 

Not ware of any end user SW that monitiors drops in connections or tell between an ISP issue or local network issue. 

@ezpzDUDE wrote:

Hi Furrye38, 

First, Thank YOU.  I have read so many posts in the NETGEAR COMMUNITY and most seem to be answered by you.  So in case anyone who was grateful has not said so, well, I am grateful, and so Thank YOU.

And thank you for the update.  BTW, do you have any suggestions on a network monitoring software I can set up on one of my Macs to record / track the number of times the network drops as well as distinguish between when the ISP has an interruption vs my local network, please?  Thank you

BTW, for some reason, Model section won't allow me to save: 

Nor is this RBK available in the pull down

Message 7 of 13
ezpzDUDE
Guide

Problem continues daily

Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

So some items that could use some feedback as they were not previously answered:

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

@ezpzDUDE wrote:

Problem continues daily

Message 9 of 13
ezpzDUDE
Guide

HI - sorry for not answering the previous questions.  Yes, Support walked through the entire process three times now and each time, the problem reappears.  In 2 attempts, the firmware was updated (as the auto update did not do anything)

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck then. 

Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@zhuch07 wrote:

Thanks!

Message 12 of 13
ezpzDUDE
Guide

I have a question that I hope can be posed to the NetGear engineers please.

as mentioned, I have the RBR750 Mesh Router and Satellites 

Throughout the day, they will drop connectivity.  It is not my ISP.

However, I have learned that Orbi's mesh ONLY uses WiFi to sync between the Router and Satellite (even though I am hardwired throughout the house).  

Do the units need to communicate throughout the day (SYNC?), and only does so wirelessly?  If so, could that be causing my network to drop intermittedly throughout the day?  I have reviewed so many posts on this, and the consistent variable that I have found is when there is a hardwired satellite and that it may be far enough from the Router that wireless connection may be challenged.  

Is this something that can be checked with NetGear please?  Thank you!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7