Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 850, web browser and phone app showing the wrong MAC addresses.

N49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi 850, web browser and phone app showing the wrong MAC addresses.

My main computer is windows 10 based. The firmware version for the RBR 850 is V4.6.3.16_2.0.51. The modem is a Hitron model number CGNM 2250. Cable company is Shaw cable in Canada.

I purchased an Orbi 852 system a couple of weeks ago and the setup seemed to go fine and the performance is as advertised. My concern is the MAC addresses indicated in both the web page (192.168.1.1) and on the phone app. I have several items logged onto the wifi like a thermostat, video doorbell, TV, printer and 4 apple products. 2 iphones and 2 ipads. All of the non apple products and 1 ipad show the correct MAC addresses. The other ipad and 2 iphones show the wrong MAC addresses. I have been on the phone with support for a few hours trying different procedures including power resets and manual firm ware updates factory resets and non have helped. They suggested returning that 852  and getting a new one which I did. The new one acts in the same manner. On the phone with support again going through muliple procedures and so far nothing has helped.

The ipad that shows the correct address is an ipad mini 2. The other apple devices are an ipad air 2, iphone 6s and an iphone 13.

I have had a couple of other routers and have never seen this before.

Just wondering if anyone has seen this before and if so were they able to fix it?

Thanks

Model: AC815S|AT&T Unite Explore™
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 850, web browser and phone app showing the wrong MAC addresses.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also be aware that Apple has introduced a new iOS feature thats called Private Address. When enabled on apple devices changes the MAC address seen on any router to a randsom MAC address. This is ok when travelling, however for home use, I tend to disable this feature. 

I recommend updating to v5 FW here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

v16 FW is known for being problmatic for most users. Were seeing better experiences with v5 FW. 

Please manually download to a local wired PC and use a web browswer to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. You can use the RBS web page to send the FW File. I recommend after the FW is sent to the RBS then RBR and these are back to ready, Power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute or longer then back ON. You might include the ISP Modem as well. 

Once the system is back online, check your devices. 

You might try changing CTS values to 2347 on the RBR.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also be aware that Apple has introduced a new iOS feature thats called Private Address. When enabled on apple devices changes the MAC address seen on any router to a randsom MAC address. This is ok when travelling, however for home use, I tend to disable this feature. 

I recommend updating to v5 FW here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

v16 FW is known for being problmatic for most users. Were seeing better experiences with v5 FW. 

Please manually download to a local wired PC and use a web browswer to update the RBS first, then RBR lastly. You can use the RBS web page to send the FW File. I recommend after the FW is sent to the RBS then RBR and these are back to ready, Power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute or longer then back ON. You might include the ISP Modem as well. 

Once the system is back online, check your devices. 

You might try changing CTS values to 2347 on the RBR.

Message 2 of 6
N49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your reply. I did not know about the new apple Private Address feature and that is exactly what the problem was. I no longer have an issue with the MAC addresses. Everything else about the 850 has been working great, speeds throught the house are over 300 which is the service that I have from my provider.

As for the position of the satelite, it is right around 30 feet and I have never had anything drop off.

Thanks again, you were of great help.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 4 of 6
N49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7