Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 852 Wireless Smart Connect with PS4 Pro

dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

Orbi 852 Wireless Smart Connect with PS4 Pro

This post is just for future information to provide a solution to a potential problem with the Smart Connect and the PS4 Pro. When I switched over to my Orbi 852 (latest firmware and hard reset post upgrade) for some reason my PS4 Pro had trouble deciding which wifi band (2.4 or 5GHz) to automatically connect to. Previously with the same firmware/operating system the PS4 Pro would flawlessly connect to my 5GHz consistently (RBK50). Once the Orbi 852 with Smart Connect came on line I watched the network status page on the PS4 Pro connect then disconnect from the 5GHz band. The default setting for the PS4 Pro wifi band selection is auto. This setup would cause a user to have to relogin to their wireless network every time the PS4 Pro was turned on/bought out of standby as the PS4 Pro would always try to connect to the 5GHz band. The PS4 Pro would work fine on the 2.4 GHz band once you logged in with your network settings. I then gave the PS4 Pro it's own DHCP reservation on the Orbi 852 but it still required me to login into my wireless network on the PS4 Pro. I then decided to manually add the network login information on the PS4 Pro (PS4 Pro ip address, subnet mask, gateway (router), and DNS address. I also upon selecting the Orbi 852 wireless network on the PS4 Pro pushed the option button on the controller to select and force the PS4 Pro to login to the 2.4GHz wireless network only. This setup was the solution to eliminate the network login problem on restart of the PS4 Pro. I believe this phenomenom is unique to my layout because for some reason the smart connect logic for the Orbi 852 cannot decide/detect the best signal of the two (2.4 or 5GHz) based upon where the PS4 Pro is physically located in relation to the router. Hope this post/discussion will help others out in the future.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

With the PS4 Pro in the 5GHz only mode for a wifi frequency and the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) these were the results:

When I tried to login the Orbi 852 network the PS4 Pro refused the connection repeatedly-I then observed the network status page of the PS4 Pro and it would pickup the 5GHz signal from the Orbi 852 for approx 5 sec but then drop-this continued without interuption.

UPDATE: Beta firmware provided by NG yesterday has resolved this issue to include re-establishing the PS4 Pro connection upon startup from standby or fully off without having to provide wifi login information. Preliminary results look good and further analysis using the different wifi frequency modes for the PS4 Pro will be posted. FYI PS4 Pro does not support WPA3 at this time.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

When it comes to Smart Connect, it only provides the platform for devices to conenct to and helps them get connected to either frequency when they are dual band supporting. I'ts up to the connecting devices to determine which frequency to connect too, based on signal, WiFi noise and quality. Some devices seem to prefer 2.4Ghz over 5Ghz. Some cases users can turn down the power on the 2.4Ghz radio to help better direct devices to 5Ghz. Distance and placement of the connecting device is key as well as placement of the RBR and RBS from each other as well. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

If devices have a option to pick from either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, users are recommended to use these features if available. 

It's recommended for most gamers and gaming systems to connect via ethernet cable for best performances. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 16
Tangmu
Star

Thanks for that.   My kids' PS4 was very unstable with this new Orbi.  I could watch the WiFi status screen and it would go back and forth from 2.4GHz to 5GHz.  I used the option button as described, and fixed it to 2.4, and now it is rock-solid.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you fix it to the 5Ghz radio? 

@Tangmu wrote:

Thanks for that.   My kids' PS4 was very unstable with this new Orbi.  I could watch the WiFi status screen and it would go back and forth from 2.4GHz to 5GHz.  I used the option button as described, and fixed it to 2.4, and now it is rock-solid.

Message 4 of 16
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

I did attempt to set the PS4 Pro to 5GHz only and the same result was obtained using auto: the 5GHz wireless signal would go in and out on the network status page of the PS4 Pro.

I did get the PS4 Pro to connect to a 5GHz wireless signal in the auto mode of the PS4 Pro by putting the RBK852 in AP mode using my ASUS GT-AX11000 as the router.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting that the PS connected to 5Ghz to the ORbi in AP mode and and not in router mode. 

I presume the ASUS routers wifi was disabled? I have this same router as well.

What FW version are you using on the ASUS Router?

Message 6 of 16
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

My bad, I had the PS4 Pro on the ASUS 5GHz wireless network-disabled the ASUS radios and original issue still exists-had to force PS4 Pro out of auto to 2.4GHz to retain network connection to the Orbi 852. I am going to try to connect to the ASUS radios but in smart connect mode instead of separate radios and see if the PS4 Pro picks up and retains a 5GHz signal.

With the PS4 Pro in the auto mode for wifi frequency and the ASUS wireless mode in smart connect these are the results:

Initially when I chose the ASUS wireless network the PS4 Pro automatically chose the 2.4GHz wifi frequency. When I shutdown the PS4 Pro completely and turned it back on the PS4 Pro automatically chose the 5GHz wifi frequency without dropping the wifi connection and having to re-enter the network login info. Smart mode worked flawlessly with the ASUS connecting to the PS4 Pro.

With the PS4 Pro in the auto mode for wifi frequency and the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) these are the results:

Intially when I chose the Orbi wifi network the PS4 Pro would only capture the 2.4GHz wireless network. The PS4 Pro was then shutdown completely and upon startup lost the wifi connection to the Orbi 852 and required you to login with your network credentials-this is a recurrent theme with the Orbi 852 and the PS4 Pro in auto mode.

With the PS4 Pro in the 5GHz only mode for a wifi frequency and the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) these were the results:

When I tried to login the Orbi 852 network the PS4 Pro refused the connection repeatedly-I then observed the network status page of the PS4 Pro and it would pickup the 5GHz signal from the Orbi 852 for approx 5 sec but then drop-this continued without interuption.

Solution for PS4 Pro connecting to ASUS wireless network in smart connect mode: no work arounds required

Solution for PS4 Pro connecting to Orbi 852 (smart connect only): have to force the PS4 Pro to 2.4GHz only in order to retain network login info when PS4 Pro is shutdown completely and then restarted. Connection to 5GHz (auto or forcing 5GHz) on the PS4 Pro not possible with the Orbi 852.

ASUS GT-AX11000 firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7979

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for this detailed info. I would open a support ticket regarding this and give this information to NG. Seems like there could be some tuning done in FW hopefully.

@Blanca_O 

@ErnestTheGreat 

Message 8 of 16
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dglsmcd_USMC

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting me know the PS4 behaves correctly with a RBK50 in place of the RBK850.
Post all information here in your thread so as to keep all the information centralized. No need to send me any PMs. 

Keep in touch with Blanca. Shes trying to contact you. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for this detailed info. I would open a support ticket regarding this and give this information to NG. Seems like there could be some tuning done in FW hopefully.

Message 10 of 16
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

UPDATE: Beta firmware provided by NG yesterday has resolved this issue to include re-establishing the PS4 Pro connection upon startup from standby or fully off without having to provide wifi login information. Preliminary results look good and further analysis using the different wifi frequency modes for the PS4 Pro will be posted. FYI PS4 Pro does not support WPA3 at this time.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Was this beta from NG something different then what was posted in the beta forum I presume? 

Glad it's working better. 

Ya WPA3 hasn't been fully finalized yet. Hopefully they will get WPA3 stuff ironed out this year. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 16
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

The beta firmware (RBR/RBS850-V201-signed 20/02/2020) was received via NG email which has not been posted on the beta forum. Hopefully this firmware will be a part of the next public release as it appears the smart connect is functioning correctly. As I mentioned before there is still some testing to do so keep your fingers crossed. Bottom line progress is being made-definitely the right direction.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I'll ask to see if new versions canbe posted to the beta forum as time goes on. 

Glad its working better now. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 16
dglsmcd_USMC
Luminary

With the PS4 Pro in the auto mode for wifi frequency and the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) these are the results:

Intially when I chose the Orbi wifi network the PS4 Pro would only capture the 2.4GHz wireless network. The PS4 Pro was then shutdown completely and upon startup lost the wifi connection to the Orbi 852 and required you to login with your network credentials-this is a recurrent theme with the Orbi 852 and the PS4 Pro in auto mode.

UPDATE: Continuing with the testing with beta firmware and the PS4 Pro in auto mode (wifi frequency), the PS4 Pro would capture the 2.4GHz frequency initially but would then transition to the 5GHz frequency and retain that. Used the PS4 Pro for several hours without any dropouts or issues. Shutdown the PS4 Pro completely and restarted-the connection to the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) was retained and the PS4 Pro network status reflected 5GHz. All observations/measurements with the PS4 Pro and the Orbi 852 (smart connect only) were accomplished without any physical displacement of either unit for consistency (Orbi RBS 850 (satellite) 30 plus feet from RBR 850 at all times). 

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Glad the beta FW is working better for the PS4. Thanks for testing and letting us know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7