Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 (RBK753) Compatibility

JP1234
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 (RBK753) Compatibility

I am thinking of purchasing the AX4200 and wanted to make sure that I could properly use ethernet backhaul with my home's setup. Our modem is in the basement and connected to a 16 port router. Most rooms in the house are hardwired with CAT5 cables and run into the 16 port router in the basement.

Would the following setup work? Connect main orbi base to 16 port router in basement. Connect access points to ethernet ports in various upstairs rooms. Or do I need to take an additional step to disconnect the upstairs room's cable from the router and connect it directly into the orbi main base?

Thanks in advance for the help. Just want to make sure my infrastructure is compatible before purchasing. 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 (RBK753) Compatibility

Yes, however some caveats.

What is the mfr and model # of this 16 port (switch)? 

CAT5 is old and doesn't provice good performance for 1000Mb networks. You may see problems or bad performance with CAT5. CAT6 is recommended. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 6
JP1234
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply! It is a Cisco RV016 Multi-WAN VPN Router. Would CAT6 make a noticable difference? Or is it just a nice to have?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Generally better performance over CAT5, CAT5 was only supportive of 100Mbs. 

Message 4 of 6
JP1234
Aspirant

Got it, but would a mesh set up still work? I've had some people recommend a multi-AP setup instead, but it's my understanding that a multi-AP setup wouldn't transfer devices automatically to the strongest signal. So you could still be connected to an AP far away with a poor signal when you're in a different room with a stronger one.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the MESH would still be working. 

Well there are other factors in how devices get connected or move from one signal to another. This is called ROAM. Some devices support it some do no. Also it's up to wifi devices to move or roam from one signal to another, Orbi doesn't force devices to move. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7