Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 RBK753 Missing Settings

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi AX4200 RBK753 Missing Settings

Hi. Recently purchased and set up the new WIFI6 AX4200 RBK753, and noticed that there are numerous settings that are missing that used to be available for our older Orbi system. Notably, implicit beam forming, mu-mimo and fast roaming.

Netgear, please make these settings available again. I think fast roaming is affecting my security system because it is located in between the router and a satellite, and it is dropping its wireless connection periodically, and then not reconnecting. I think turning off fast roaming might help, but that setting is no longer available to modify. Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 RBK753 Missing Settings

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

NG may have implemented these on a automatic basiis and no longer needs a UI feature. Those feartures would not hinder RBS wireless connections. 

Message 2 of 5
OldGrayTechie
Initiate

This is a "me too" post because the only response given thus far was not helpful. 

Why have the user accessible settings on the AX4200 been dumbed down? If NG is afraid that we'll screw something up, I'll be happy to sign a disclaimer to get some decent configurability. Frankly, if I wanted a stupid, user safe UI, I'd get a Google Nest WiFI. 

While I'm at it, why inject confusion into the issue by asking irrelevant questions like how far is my satellite from my router? What does this have to do with the marketing decision to dumb down the interface?

One more question. Are these settings available on the AX6000? Do we have to pay $200 more to get that level of configurability, or is there a general trend toward taking this flexibility out of users' hands.

(And if you ask me what brand of cable modem I'm using... LOL).

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi AX models have same UI.

You can post about requests for NG to review here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 5
OldGrayTechie
Initiate

Thanks for your helpful response. I hope someone who cares will read the other forum you pointed me toward. 

I hate to see Netgear going the way of other home networking vendors. I always appreciated the configurability of NG products. I hope they halt this trend of dumbing down interfaces. The "Advanced" area is an excellent way to organize features that require more detailed understanding of computer networking.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7