Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX4200 and connecting it to a router

GreggCFO
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 and connecting it to a router

I have a model from my internet provider and a switch which distributes the internet signal throughout my house but only to certain rooms. Do I need to connect the Orbi router directly to the modem, or can I connect to through the switch which is connected to the modem?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS can be more than 30 feet, depending upon building materials. I have one of my RBS out at 40 feet. Others have posted 50 feet as well. 

I'd check the wiring the home. Lan connections is preferred for wired connections and best performances over wireless. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Prefered is connected to the modem. 

Howoever depends on what mode you use the Orbi AX in. 
If the modem has a built in router already, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Then the RBR can be connected farther down the line behind a switch.

Message 2 of 11
GreggCFO
Aspirant

My Spectrum modem is solely a modem with one internet port which supplies the internet. If I connect my netgear 8 port switch directly to that modem, then I can hook my Orbi router directly to the switch and also hook my Orbi satellite directly to the switch for my backhaul?

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to connect the Orbi RBR directly to the modem then put the switch after the RBR. 

You can connect the RBS via eithernet using the following configuration:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Be aware that soem managed switches and green ethernet featured switch cause problems between the RBR and RBS. IGMP Protocols should be disabled on Managed switches. Green ethernet switches should not be used between them. 

Message 4 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

@GreggCFO wrote:

My Spectrum modem is solely a modem with one internet port which supplies the internet. If I connect my netgear 8 port switch directly to that modem, then I can hook my Orbi router directly to the switch and also hook my Orbi satellite directly to the switch for my backhaul?

Definitely do not do this.  The Orbi becomes your switch and everything, including the satellite, connects to it.

Message 5 of 11
GreggCFO
Aspirant

Why should that concern me?

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Normal and standard wire configurations and networking standards has any host router behind a ISP Modem/ont. Any and all LAN network switch fall behind the router for additional connections and good operation and performance thru out the network system. You can even daisy chain switches as well. 

Message 7 of 11
GreggCFO
Aspirant

I still don't really understand how the router being connected to a port on a switch which switch is hooked to a modem is different than if there was no switch in the middle. I am not a techie, so maybe a really simple explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Swtich can act like a router and also has some other featuers that may or may not impack good connections between the modem and a host router. There needs to be good connections between the modem/ONT and host router at all times. Only if something really needs a switch in between would this kind of configuration maybe needed, maybe for debugging would be one senario. For most and normal operations and configurations. Besides you can't connect a switch between the modem and router then connect a PC to this switch and expect to get internet access there. It doesn't work that way. You only have 1 WAN IP address getting passed from the modem to the main host router which its job is to hand out more then one IP address for devices while doing NAT. There has to be NAT between the modem and connected devices.

Keeping the connection limited to the modem directly to a host router is preferred. I also believe in using shortest length LAN cable between the modem and router as well. 

Message 9 of 11
GreggCFO
Aspirant

Thanks I accept that answer and kind of understand it. So my house is hardwired with Cat5e and in some places i get 200mbps and some rooms only 30mbps. I was thinking of using the wired backhaul but do you agree that if were i would plug it in is only 30mbps, that i should avoid it? Basically i should ignore all of the wiring in my house? Does that make sense?

Also, it says the satellite should be no more than 30 feet from the router. So if the signal only goes 30 feet in every direction well, then wouldnt this really only cover 2700 square feet, ie, (30+30+30)=90 linear feet times 30 feet wide=2700?

Thanks and you have been very helpful.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS can be more than 30 feet, depending upon building materials. I have one of my RBS out at 40 feet. Others have posted 50 feet as well. 

I'd check the wiring the home. Lan connections is preferred for wired connections and best performances over wireless. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7