Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 w/ Xfinity (Comcast) gateway

redleader-NET
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 w/ Xfinity (Comcast) gateway

Hello there,

So my house currently uses an Xfinity gateway (using both modem and router features).  However, tons of slow/dead spots in the house so I plan on getting the Orbi AX4200 mesh system.  I understand that I need to set the gateway to bridge mode so that the gateway stops serving as a wifi router, handing over those duties to the Orbi.  The only service/equipment that I also have from Comcast is their security camera system.  However, the cameras are wired directly to a video device that is then directly wired to the gateway.   So since the cameras are not wifi based, is it safe to set the gateway to bridge mode?

Message 1 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Orbi AX4200 w/ Xfinity (Comcast) gateway

@redleader-NET wrote:

Hello there,

So my house currently uses an Xfinity gateway (using both modem and router features).  However, tons of slow/dead spots in the house so I plan on getting the Orbi AX4200 mesh system.  I understand that I need to set the gateway to bridge mode so that the gateway stops serving as a wifi router, handing over those duties to the Orbi.  The only service/equipment that I also have from Comcast is their security camera system.  However, the cameras are wired directly to a video device that is then directly wired to the gateway.   So since the cameras are not wifi based, is it safe to set the gateway to bridge mode?

You should be able to connect the video device to the Orbi instead of the Comcast gateway.  Essentially, your Orbi replaces the gateway so reconnect everything to the Orbi base or satellite.  The only thing wired to the gateway will be the Orbi base.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@redleader-NET wrote:

Hello there,

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@redleader-NET wrote:

Hello there,

Message 4 of 6
redleader-NET
Aspirant

Great, thanks for the reply.  We'll try this out.  I had read in other threads that if you have other Comcast/Xfinity Devices in the house that use the Gateway, you wouldn't be able to turn off its wifi completely, but I suppose a hardwired video device (i.e., not on wifi) should be OK. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements