Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX6000 - Dell Latitude 7390 - 25% of available Internet Speed (Hardwired and WiFi)

ChopRum
Guide

Orbi AX6000 - Dell Latitude 7390 - 25% of available Internet Speed (Hardwired and WiFi)

Hi all,

Recently purchased the RBK852|Orbi AX6000 Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 System (RBR850 and 2 RBS850). Everything work great, except for me and my coworkers' Dell Latitude 7390 2-in-1.

I am getting speeds for all other devices and WiFi protocols that are in line with my expectations. My general understanding of speed scaling is:

• Wired into Main Router: 100% or 300Mbps (I pay for 300Mbps)
  • Wireless to Main Router: 90-95% or 270-285Mbps
  • Wired into Satellite: 90-95% or 270-285Mbps
  • Wireless to Satellite:80-90% or 240-270Mbps

Purchased WiFi (Theoretical max from Modem/Router): 300Mbps

Wired Testing (Wired into RBR850 Router)

• Xbox One X (Theoretical max from Router): 300Mbps (100%)

Wired Testing (Wired into RBS850 Satellite)

• Xbox One (Theoretical max from Satellite): 276Mbps (92%)
  • Latitude 7390 through Dell WD15 K17A USB-C Dock : 75Mbps (25%)

Wireless/Wifi Testing (Within 10 feet of RBS850 Satellite)

• iPhone 11 Pro Speed (WiFi 6 802.11ax): 264Mbps (88%)
  • iPhone 7 (WiFi 5 802.11ac😞 233Mbps (78%)
  • Xbox One (WiFi 4 802.11n): 100Mbps (33%)
  • Latitude 7390 with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 (WiFi 5 802.11ac 2x2): 75Mbps (25%)

Notes/Observations that may or may not be helpful

• Wired PHY: 1,000Mbps or 1Gbps (Screenshot)
    • Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Ethernet --> Speed
  • Wireless PHY: 866.7Mbps
    • Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Wi-Fi ({NetworkName}) --> Speed
  • Latitude does not have any speed improvement when connecting by Ethernet through dock
    • Yes, I made sure Wireless/Wifi was disconnected and off
    • The only reason I did not plug the Ethernet directly into the computer is because the 7390 does not have an Ethernet port.
  • Channel Width for 5GHz = Auto
    • Device Manager --> Network Adapters --> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 --> Properties --> Advanced --> Channel Width for 5GHz
    • The only options were 20MHz Only and Auto
  • I do not think it is due to faulty hardware because we have 3 of the same computer experiencing similar performance and speeds. I doubt all 3 are faulty (but I guess it's technically possible).

I'm officially at a loss. Based on the hardware and the set-up, this should be faster. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on next troubleshooting steps?

Thank you,

Chop

To help the next guy..... The physical layer (PHY) rate. It is the maximum speed that data can move across a wireless link between a wireless client and a wireless router.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX6000 - Dell Latitude 7390 - 25% of available Internet Speed (Hardwired and WiFi)

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the mfr and model of the wifi adapter with in the Dell PC? 

If the Dell is the only one experiencing this issue while others don't, the issue would be with the Dell PC. 

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling AX Mode on the RBR and check again. 

Ensure the adapter drivers on the Dell is up to date. 

Check the mfr of this adapter to see if any configurations are needed with in the driver to help. 

Be sure to speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app vs a web browser. Web browsers can cause inaccurate results.

Disable all security add-ons or programs temporarily while speed testing. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the mfr and model of the wifi adapter with in the Dell PC? 

If the Dell is the only one experiencing this issue while others don't, the issue would be with the Dell PC. 

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling AX Mode on the RBR and check again. 

Ensure the adapter drivers on the Dell is up to date. 

Check the mfr of this adapter to see if any configurations are needed with in the driver to help. 

Be sure to speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app vs a web browser. Web browsers can cause inaccurate results.

Disable all security add-ons or programs temporarily while speed testing. 

Message 2 of 4
ChopRum
Guide

I was using the web version of Speedtest by Ookla. When I installed the app I see speeds on the computer of 242Mbps, which is much more in line with expectations. Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked out. Ya, web based browser introduce inaccuracies. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7