Re: Orbi AX6000 slow download, fast upload with google fiber

sendittokeith
Aspirant

Orbi AX6000 slow download, fast upload with google fiber

Here is my setup.

• I set up Orbi AX 6000 in AP mode
  • PC plugged directly into satellite
  • WiFi disabled on goggle router
  • Orbi router/satellite on latest firmware (v3.2.10.11)
  • speedtest.net & speedtest++ (the ++ should be about as accurate as it gets, also i tried several other online services and they were all about the same -- very fast upload, not so much on the download)

I am getting about 1/3 of the download speed compared to upload on average. 

On average of 30 tests, i get:

Download:  326 Mbit/s

Upload: 884 Mbit/s

[ In contrast, here are the averages of what I get directly plugged into google router after 30 tests ]

Download: 10009 Mbit/s

Upload: 951 Mbit/s

I really like Orbi so far but I am expecting much faster speeds on download -- please help me.

While the upload speed is quite impressive, the download speed is not. For the performance Google Nest Wifi would give me equivelent download speeds for 1/3 the cost.  Even with the default google wifi I was getting an average of 260 Mbit/s down.

The above stats are when using Linux. I have a dual boot system so went into windows -- same results.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you wired speeds with a PC connected to the RBR in AP mode? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 10
sendittokeith
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Direct connect is fast:

[ In contrast, here are the averages of what I get directly plugged into google router after 30 tests ]

Download: 10009 Mbit/s

Upload: 951 Mbit/s

I live in an apartment so I have neighbors with wifi - but why is my upload so fast compared to download. I am not sure neighbors are the issue since the upload is consistently so fast?

You said:

"Be sure that CTS and RTS values are changed to 2346 under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings"

I do not see these settings (see attached screenshot) can you clarify where/how to change these settings...

The Satellite is ~20 feet from the router.

thank you very much, I look forward to hearing back.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

The CTS and RTS values are there. Change the boxes with 64 in the box to 2347.

20 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is starting distance. Too close and this can cause problems. 

How many neighbors do you have ? 

You may need to turn down the power out put of the RBR to less than 100% as well. Apartment complexes are known for noise and wifi congestion. 

What speeds to you get wirelessly at the RBR? Not the RBS. 

Message 4 of 10
sendittokeith
Aspirant

Thank you, I totally missed the CTS/RTS - very horrible UI on this things, especially for a 700 router.

I updated the value sfor CTS/RTS to 2347 - the result did not change.

I can only speedtest at the RBR with my iphone XS so I dont think I can do a fair comparison - but the upload/download on iphone XS at the RBR is: 

361 up / 544 down

I am not sure what to do about the 30 foot thing.  My apartment is just not that big.  If i connect directly to RBR with my PC's wifi, it drops to about 160/400

I tried changing the power to 75%, that did not help either.

My biggest confusion is why the upload speed is so much faster consistently.

I REALLY appreciate you time to try and help me resolve this. Do you by chance have any other thoughts/ideas?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS and use the RBR by it self? 

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and configure AP mode again. Besure to change the CTS/RTS values and try again.

Be sure to use Ooklas installable speedtest app. 

I presume wired speeds are good? 

Message 6 of 10
sendittokeith
Aspirant

Disconnecting the Satellite and connecting direct to RBR, I get on average:

156/down

192/up

.... but my pc wifi card is only ac...

Mywired speeds are incredible - consistently.

down: 978 Mbp/s

up: 931 Mbp/s

I guess I will try a factory reset and report back ... this is a new setup but i'll try it anyway.

Thanks again Furry 🙂

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

OK so your getting to spec speeds wired then. The RBR is working in that regard. 

I would check with Apple to see what the specs should be for the iPhone. Some wireless devices max out at around 400-500Mpbs wirelessly. 

Message 8 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

iPhone may not be the best hardware to test and verify max speeds.  However, one more thing to try is Forget Network and connect to your new Orbi's SSID again.  Another trick posted elsewhere is to Reset Network Settings (General...Reset...Reset Network Settings).  Your iPhone XS reportedly supports WiFi 6 so it should be able to have high speeds.

Message 9 of 10
sendittokeith
Aspirant

Yea, whether I plug my other pc directly into googles router or Orbi, the up/down is close or higher than a gig ...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7