Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX6000 with ATT Uverse Modem set to IP Passthrough?

Orbi AX6000 with ATT Uverse Modem set to IP Passthrough?

Hi Orbi and Netgear Gurus,

I'm new here and am thinking of purchasing the Orbi AX6000 Wifi 6 Mesh system as a massive upgrade to my seriously aging Apple Airport Extreme system.

I only have two concerns about what seems like an amazing wifi system and am wondering if someone could help?

1 - We are on AT&T Uverse, and I know they don't like their modem/routers in Bridge mode (or I guess what they call IP Passthrough?) Wondering if anyone has successfully set up the ORbi AX6000 with the Arris NVG599 Home Gateway Routher in IP Passthrough mode? If you have, could you share your IP Passthrough settings?  I have attached a screengrab of the Uverse Router settings page.

2 - I'm a bit confused whether the Orbi AX6000 has Circle by Disney built in?  I know older models have it but does this new one?  If it DOES, will Circle work if the Orbi has been set to AP (Access Point only) mode?  If it DOESN'T, will the Orbi work with the older 1st generation Circle Box that we currently have attached to our Airport Extreme?

I'm also unclear what the disadvantages are of putting the Orbi into AP mode.  Doesn't this limit its functionality?  Or am I making a big deal about nothing?  Please advise!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Success!  Well, partial success.  Circle Disney not working.  But That's a different forum, right?

Here are the settings and it actually really went smoothly:

1) removed my old routers and extenders (old Airport Extremes)

2) plugged my iMac directly into the Arris NVG599 Uverse Modem via ethernet, connected via browser using 192.168.1.254

3) Went to Firewall/Packet Filter, disabled Packet Filter

4) Went to Firewall/IP Passthrough, enabled IP Passthrough, selected "DHCPS Fixed" and then manualle entered the Orbi Router's MAC Address. Set the Passthrough lease for one day, 10 minutes. 

5) Plugged my iMac directly into the Orbi via ethernet, restarted the Arris Uverse Modem

6) Connected the Orbi's WAN port to the Arris WAN port, plugged in the Orbi

7) Tried logging into the Arris once it restarted to see if I could see it through the Orbi.  YES!  

😎 Logged into the Orbi using the web interface Orbilogin.com, registered prodict, followed automatic setup.  It managed to get an internet connection right away!  Sweet!

9) Placed my Orbi Satellite, plugged it in, and it managed to synch with the router with a solid blue light.  Super sweet!

10) Went around to every device (about 30) and either turned off/turned on wifi or forgot network/relogged back in to clear out any crap (whatever that might have been.

Now, when I log onto the Orbi, I can see all my devices and everything seems to be working great!  I already see ain improvement in page loading streaming speeds.  Great stuff!

As I mentioned at the top, I still have to figure out how to get CIrcle Disney back online, and my Sonos system took a hit that took about an hour to reset.  Turns out I had to reset every speaker AND re-pair my surround and base speakers to the Sonos Playbase.  But that's all behind me and so I think I'm in the home stretch.  

THANK YOU for helping Furry and everyone else!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

1. The Default IP address server is the IP address the RBR gets from the modem. I recommend setting a IP address reservation ON the modem first then input this address here in the IP Pass thru.

2. Circle isn't currently supportd on Orbi AX. No idea if or when that will happen. Circle and Armor are not supported in AP mode on Orbi systems. Please post here if you need further help with CIrcle:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle
Good Luck

Message 2 of 11

@FURRYe38 wrote:

1. The Default IP address server is the IP address the RBR gets from the modem. I recommend setting a IP address reservation ON the modem first then input this address here in the IP Pass thru.

Furry, thank you for this!  I will look in the other forum for Circle Answers. However, I'm confused by your answer to #1 above.  Just to make sure I understand correctly, are you saying choose "default server" in the Modem's allocation mode (in that screen grab I attached), then assign a fixed IP address to the Orbi, and then enter that IP address in the "Default Server Internal Address" window on the modem (on that screengrab I attached)?  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. That should work. You'll need to set the IP address reservation for the Orbi RBR on the modems web page UI, where ever that is. 

Message 4 of 11
tgorelick
Tutor

I recently installed the RBK853 system with AT&T gigabit, and it's working perfectly. There should be no need for you to change your internet router settings. The orbi will use the router as an internet gateway.  I found that the orbi default settings worked just fine.  If you replace your existing AirPort Extreme with the Orbi and use the Orbi as a DHCP server (its default setting), there should be no need for you to put the Orbi in AP mode. I previously attempted to leave in place my existing LAN router (which has more robust firewall capacity than the Orbi) and use the Orbi in AP mode, but i could not it to work. After 3 calls with netgear support, I finally gave up and removed the original router and am using the Orbi's firewall.

Message 5 of 11

Thank you Tgorelick - I get my Orbi AX6000's on Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll start first by just going for the Orbi default settings, but I fear that's setting up a double NAT issue. (did I get that right, where both the Orbi and the Arris Modem are trying to deal out IP addresses?) At present, the Airport Extreme is hardwired to the Arris and the Airport is in Bridge Mode.

If the default settings on Orbi don't work, my next step is to turn off packet filtering and set IP Passthrough on the Arris to fixed DHCP  and assign the Orbi Mac address to the Arris to pass along the WAN address (hope I'm saying all this right - literally tens of tech support pages from both here and AT&T to figure this out!)

Either way, I've warned my family that this networking novice is gonna need several hours to get it all sorted! Plus I have to get Circle Disney working - (they said hardwire Circle to the Orbi Router BEFORE powering up the satellite), THEN I gotta get the satellite synched (in a room a long way from router so I'll try wireless first but if signal isn't good then ethernet)... I have a feeling it's gonna be a long day!

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend getting the Orbi system setup up first with the ISP modem and make sure it works before adding any Circle support. 

@MatinicusRock wrote:

Thank you Tgorelick - I get my Orbi AX6000's on Tuesday so I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll start first by just going for the Orbi default settings, but I fear that's setting up a double NAT issue. (did I get that right, where both the Orbi and the Arris Modem are trying to deal out IP addresses?) At present, the Airport Extreme is hardwired to the Arris and the Airport is in Bridge Mode.

If the default settings on Orbi don't work, my next step is to turn off packet filtering and set IP Passthrough on the Arris to fixed DHCP  and assign the Orbi Mac address to the Arris to pass along the WAN address (hope I'm saying all this right - literally tens of tech support pages from both here and AT&T to figure this out!)

Either way, I've warned my family that this networking novice is gonna need several hours to get it all sorted! Plus I have to get Circle Disney working - (they said hardwire Circle to the Orbi Router BEFORE powering up the satellite), THEN I gotta get the satellite synched (in a room a long way from router so I'll try wireless first but if signal isn't good then ethernet)... I have a feeling it's gonna be a long day!

Message 7 of 11

Okay Furry that's what I'll do - thanks.  Today's the day!

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, keep us posted. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 11

Success!  Well, partial success.  Circle Disney not working.  But That's a different forum, right?

Here are the settings and it actually really went smoothly:

1) removed my old routers and extenders (old Airport Extremes)

2) plugged my iMac directly into the Arris NVG599 Uverse Modem via ethernet, connected via browser using 192.168.1.254

3) Went to Firewall/Packet Filter, disabled Packet Filter

4) Went to Firewall/IP Passthrough, enabled IP Passthrough, selected "DHCPS Fixed" and then manualle entered the Orbi Router's MAC Address. Set the Passthrough lease for one day, 10 minutes. 

5) Plugged my iMac directly into the Orbi via ethernet, restarted the Arris Uverse Modem

6) Connected the Orbi's WAN port to the Arris WAN port, plugged in the Orbi

7) Tried logging into the Arris once it restarted to see if I could see it through the Orbi.  YES!  

😎 Logged into the Orbi using the web interface Orbilogin.com, registered prodict, followed automatic setup.  It managed to get an internet connection right away!  Sweet!

9) Placed my Orbi Satellite, plugged it in, and it managed to synch with the router with a solid blue light.  Super sweet!

10) Went around to every device (about 30) and either turned off/turned on wifi or forgot network/relogged back in to clear out any crap (whatever that might have been.

Now, when I log onto the Orbi, I can see all my devices and everything seems to be working great!  I already see ain improvement in page loading streaming speeds.  Great stuff!

As I mentioned at the top, I still have to figure out how to get CIrcle Disney back online, and my Sonos system took a hit that took about an hour to reset.  Turns out I had to reset every speaker AND re-pair my surround and base speakers to the Sonos Playbase.  But that's all behind me and so I think I'm in the home stretch.  

THANK YOU for helping Furry and everyone else!

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes Circle has it's own forum. Still not supported on Orbi AX as this time. Thought Armor is now supported and seen on v15.25 FW. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7